shape
carat
color
clarity

My new rings from BGD!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess you will have to set a time limit in your head as to how long you are willing to wait. I've been giving a lot of thought to the cut parameters too. I feel very certain that at least to the naked eye (as long as the stone falls within some established cut parameters) that a premium cut stone will show every bit as pretty as a superior cut stone. We have to remember that we're not wearing the paper of the cert and probably no one inside or outside of PS would ever be able to tell the difference. While I do think your current stone is beautiful, I'm sure there are a lot of others that would be just as lovely. They would just have to be evaluated on a case by case basis.

I'm a firm believer in things happening the way they are meant to happen so we'll just see how it goes. Time will reveal all things. . .

I'm anxious to see sna's wife's ring - I bet it will be beautiful and we'll all be swooning over that mounting once again!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that my parameters need to be that I cannot see a visual difference. I think the focus on numbers is helpful when buying without seeing, but on the other hand, there are tons of the premium stones (or Expert Selection at WF) that none of us could look at and tell apart from a superior cut or ACA! That will be the value of going there, if I can hold out until the weather gets better!

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
I lived in Chicago for a short time in the winter. I still remember standing on the corner waiting for my bus, in snow up to my knees, and every bus with my number zooming by because it was full. Night after night that seemed to happen. I've never felt wind as cold as that, either. I don't blame you for not wanting to go to NY in winter, even for a diamond! I lived in the south for 7 years and remember how much colder winter seemed when I moved back. I swear your blood gets thinner when you're not exposed to extreme cold!

No worries about discussing your diamond search and choice(s) on this thread; I enjoy it, and the chatting with you and MGR and anyone else who pops in! I hope you don't have to wait too long for a new ring (or your old stone back), either. I'm sure Jon will get back to you tomorrow with more information. Would you feel comfortable buying the stone if he can take photos and video? Is there absolutely no way he can send it to you?

Ooh, I didn't realize that sna would have his wife's ring so soon. I am anxious to see it, too!

DS, I forgot to tell you (I think) that WF told me they should have the 15 pt. stock huggies ready by early February. I'm excited to see them!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brrrrr!!! I remember 80 degrees below zero windchill factor! I always wondered why anyone ever settled up there!

I can't wait to see the Wf huggies and how they price them! Their 1 ct. ones look like such good quality!

I haven't asked Jon yet about pictures or sending it to me, because I don't want to go to all that trouble if he isn't enthusiastic about the diamond. One thing about Jonathan is that you can very much tell when he is excited about a diamond! Not that he hasn't seen a million of these, but I know he thinks my current diamond is a great one, and if I change it, I want him to find me another great one! He may need to get the diamond back to the supplier soon if I don't want it (they picked it up maybe Friday of last week), so I am very doubtful they can send it to me. I really don't want to ask and I think he will offer if it is possible.

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, in some (actually, too many!) winters, I wonder why we came back too! The wind chill measurements can be truly horrifying. Now that I'm hot all the time though, it's not as bad. :cheeky: I haven't worn any of my wool or cashmere sweaters for two years now. :fans self vigorously:

It's good that you can use Jon as a trusted and good judge of this and any other diamond; that is a huge help! I wouldn't bother with photos or having him send the diamond either if he's not enthused about it. You are smart to keep your goal in mind of having a stone as nice as yours, if you do replace it.

I thought the settings for the WF 1 tcw. huggies were so much nicer than the Costco ones. They're a "cleaner" setting, with no air line. The Costco earrings also had double prongs and I didn't like all that metal. I want to see the diamonds! I hope the 15 pt. earrings are "enough" for me. I really don't want to go custom if I can help it, but I will if I have to. Sheerah told me that the production dept. estimates that 20 pt. earrings would be around 17 - 18mm for the 20 pt. huggies, which isn't terribly huge (about the size of a dime, I think) but still bigger than I'd like. I really do like huggies to be actual huggies. I will be returning again if the 15 pt. huggies are not right but even so, it's still better than ordering custom and then not being happy.

janetjoan64

Shiny_Rock
Oh dear, I have been reading this thread ehre and it sounds as if you are going through a terrible time. I just wanted to add my two cents for what its worth as I am a newbie here. That being said. When we looked at diamonds at Tiffanys the other day we both agreed you could tell the difference in size regarding the three different sizes you had on the same finger. When I was trying to make the decision whether to buy the 1.72 vs2 i with fl or have the 1.35 vs2g without fl called in-( it faced up like a 1.40 stone and was rated excellent for spread) you advised me to go with the 1.72 because it looked so good. That stone is a triple x stone but does not meet ags ideal parameters however you saw it yourself and said even that you wold feel comfortable buying it for yourself even though it was an i becasue it faced up so well. I think the bigges issue here is not being able to see the stone first and not being able to return it if not satisfied. it sounds like you have a good rapport with GOG. Why not just ask him if he could please overnightit to you at your expense and if it wasnt to your liking you would send it back immediately. That doesnt sound like an out of the ordinary request due to the unusual circumstanses. I would hate for you to lose a great deal just becasue yioou are feeling overwhelmed at the moment. You could see the stone and love it you know.He would probably rather just send it to you than than aanswer a million questions anyhow. But... it sounded to me that in the previous thread he did say that you couldnt tell the difference.However... I dont mind NEW York in the winter .... AND ... I do happen to have an extra winter coat just about your size....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
janetjoan64|1326307746|3100520 said:
Oh dear, I have been reading this thread ehre and it sounds as if you are going through a terrible time. I just wanted to add my two cents for what its worth as I am a newbie here. That being said. When we looked at diamonds at Tiffanys the other day we both agreed you could tell the difference in size regarding the three different sizes you had on the same finger. When I was trying to make the decision whether to buy the 1.72 vs2 i with fl or have the 1.35 vs2g without fl called in-( it faced up like a 1.40 stone and was rated excellent for spread) you advised me to go with the 1.72 because it looked so good. That stone is a triple x stone but does not meet ags ideal parameters however you saw it yourself and said even that you wold feel comfortable buying it for yourself even though it was an i becasue it faced up so well. I think the bigges issue here is not being able to see the stone first and not being able to return it if not satisfied. it sounds like you have a good rapport with GOG. Why not just ask him if he could please overnightit to you at your expense and if it wasnt to your liking you would send it back immediately. That doesnt sound like an out of the ordinary request due to the unusual circumstanses. I would hate for you to lose a great deal just becasue yioou are feeling overwhelmed at the moment. You could see the stone and love it you know.He would probably rather just send it to you than than aanswer a million questions anyhow. But... it sounded to me that in the previous thread he did say that you couldnt tell the difference.However... I dont mind NEW York in the winter .... AND ... I do happen to have an extra winter coat just about your size....

I have a way of making things harder than they are when I am deciding for myself! It was easy to advise you because that stone was the clear-cut winner and I thought it looked really good on you! And I think you live in the city and probably are with more people with larger stones. So I thought you would regret not getting the 1.7, especially when it was whiter than the other one and the pricing was really good! But you are very right that it is a little more scary because there won't be a trade-in policy on this diamond. I don't think he can send it to me because he basically has borrowed it from the supplier and will either have to buy it or return it pretty soon.

I did just get an email from Jonathan and he said he would make a video for me of this stone and my old one. I asked him to add in two more stones of different cut and size just so I could see the differences. I'll post it here on this thread if blueiris doesn't mind since I'd rather post it in an inconspicuous place as opposed to making a new thread. Not sure whether it will be ready today or not. Stay tuned!

And thanks, JJ! You can go to NYC with me if I need to go! A couple of these ladies may meet us there, too!

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
DS, of course I don't mind - I'm anxious to see photos & video of this stone! I hope Jon can do it today. And "Hi" to janetjoan64!

Here are a few photos of my e-ring with the shared prong Tiffany I ordered. It's a size 6 with 7 .08 stones ... I had a dickens of a time keeping it from moving around, but you'll all get the idea. I'd love comments on how it looks with my ring in terms of size and style. Are the diamonds the "right" size? Does the shared prong look good (better than the channel set, disregarding the YG)? Does the width (3mm) look good? And any other comments anyone would care to give are most welcome.

8 pt SP Tiffany1.jpg

8 pt SP Tiffany2.jpg

8 pt. SP Tiffany3.jpg

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
A few more ...

8 pt. SP Tiffany4.jpg

8 pt SP Tiffany5.jpg

8 pt. SP Tiffany6.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahhh, I think that is the PERFECT size! I like it better than my 10 pointers. And as you can see, the Tiffany is set super low. The only problem with a channel set with larger stones is that you'll see bigger gaps than you will with a channel set with little stones. So I really think either will look great, but you have to decide which look you like best. I do think this is the best size stone, though, for shared prong, to go with your rings.

(You are making me want my ring back!!!) :lol:

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
I was going to wait for more opinions before revealing my own thoughts, but I'm just too impatient, lol!

Yay, I'm glad we agree! I too think it's the perfect size. I took it out of the box and it just looked so perfect. I love it with my ring. I kind of wish I could just get the full eternity from Tiffany. Their workmanship is so good! But I know if I go with MM, I really need to have him make the band too. And of course, his workmanship is just perfection, too, so it won't be a loss.

I definitely prefer the shared prong over the channel set with my ring. I like seeing just the diamonds. I think I like the channel set so well with MGR's ring because hers is a three-stone and a shared prong would probably make a mish-mash of diamonds, rather than the lovely defined and refined look she achieves with the channel set. Same with Yssie's ring; I have trouble envisioning a shared prong with hers (and think she made the correct decision by going with a plain band and letting her five beautiful stones be the stars of the show). But for a plainly set solitaire, I really like the look with the shared prong band. I also like the look of Travel Goddess's bead set with her MM ring (also .08 stones), so that too would be a possibility.

I can understand wanting your ring back! It must be hard to be without it.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
blueiris|1325616981|3094157 said:
And now for the NIghtingale 5-stone. I have 5 children so this ring is meaningful to me. Unfortunately, I discovered I don't love wearing a ring on my right hand so for now I alternate wearing the 5-stone alone or with my plain wedding band on my left hand, and my e-ring and plain wedding band on my left hand.

The stones are all right around .40 - .41, all F, all VS2. This ring is a 6.25 (my right ring finger is slightly bigger) and it slips around constantly on my left hand (on my right hand too, in the winter).

Lovely collection of rings - I'be been following the end of the thread and your convo w MGR/DS et al!! yeah--- that's kinda ok, if you like that sort of thing.... (OMG!! and I totally do!!! )

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
Enerchi|1326316333|3100644 said:
blueiris|1325616981|3094157 said:
And now for the NIghtingale 5-stone. I have 5 children so this ring is meaningful to me. Unfortunately, I discovered I don't love wearing a ring on my right hand so for now I alternate wearing the 5-stone alone or with my plain wedding band on my left hand, and my e-ring and plain wedding band on my left hand.

The stones are all right around .40 - .41, all F, all VS2. This ring is a 6.25 (my right ring finger is slightly bigger) and it slips around constantly on my left hand (on my right hand too, in the winter).

Lovely collection of rings - I'be been following the end of the thread and your convo w MGR/DS et al!! yeah--- that's kinda ok, if you like that sort of thing.... (OMG!! and I totally do!!! )

Thanks, enerchi! :) Now, what do you like - the five-stone, or the Tiffany band I'm trying out with my e-ring to see if I like that size & look?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
ARGH!! Tough call! I'm a big sucker for sentiment, so the 5 stone ring represents each of your 5 children ( I love that :halo: ) and the stones are larger, and I love the "U" prong... so I really REALLY like that look :appl: :appl: :love: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

but...

That's a pretty sweet 7 stone ring from Tiffany you have on there! It fits low enough under the head of your ering (just a wee stone, I see... :-o :-o ) and the 7 stones, could represent you, your DH and THEN the 5 children. I like the .8 stones, but if you mentioned a full eternity, did you also try on .10's or .12 stones as a 7 stone ring in that setting?

Man - I don't know if I could decide based on photos (if it were me) because I'm a very visual (and we've also establish---RIGID) person, so I'd need to have the actual items on, to compare and decide. I know - not a very good answer for you - sorry :oops:

What are you leaning towards?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it! I love the size of the stones and I love a shared prong setting with a solitaire if you can work out the heights of the rings and not have the girdles of the shared prong stones eating the prongs of the ering. I'm sure Mark would work that out for you.

I would personally prefer the ring in an eternity type setting though; if you spin that ring around to the side is it comfortable between your fingers?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think she was just trying on the 7 stone to get an idea of the size. I do think Mark would make a gorgeous shared prong eternity! Then he could be sure to match the heights of the two bands.

Enerchi, she already owns the larger 5 stone band. She is looking for the smaller diamond band to wear with her e-ring.

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
Enerchi|1326316827|3100653 said:
ARGH!! Tough call! I'm a big sucker for sentiment, so the 5 stone ring represents each of your 5 children ( I love that :halo: ) and the stones are larger, and I love the "U" prong... so I really REALLY like that look :appl: :appl: :love: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

but...

That's a pretty sweet 7 stone ring from Tiffany you have on there! It fits low enough under the head of your ering (just a wee stone, I see... :-o :-o ) and the 7 stones, could represent you, your DH and THEN the 5 children. I like the .8 stones, but if you mentioned a full eternity, did you also try on .10's or .12 stones as a 7 stone ring in that setting?

Man - I don't know if I could decide based on photos (if it were me) because I'm a very visual (and we've also establish---RIGID) person, so I'd need to have the actual items on, to compare and decide. I know - not a very good answer for you - sorry :oops:

Oh, I see that I confused you with my imprecise question! I'm sorry! My question about which you like was prompted by you saying "I really REALLY like that look". I wasn't sure if you were referring to the look of the five-stone ring, or to my current dilemma of how to reset my e-ring and what style and size of diamond band to have made to go with my reset.

Did you see the photo I took from the side? I don't know much about this but it looks to me that the girdles of the stones will CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP into the e-ring setting. Thoughts, based on the photo?

Also, I will most likely get a full eternity, and if I were wearing it all by itself for the majority of the time, I'd definitely want bigger stones. But for wearing with my e-ring, I thought I'd start with 8 pointers since that's what Travel Goddess has for her bead set ring (worn with her MM Flame) and I love that look (two photos of her set are posted earlier in this thread, in two different places). DS and MGR also suggested trying the 8 pointers. I debated trying to find something a little bigger to also try but all this trying requires me ordering rings from Tiffany or somewhere and returning them, so I thought I'd start with the 8 pointers. Do you think they look too small? Thanks for the opinion, enerchi!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't think the girdles would hurt that e-ring at all. The little doughnut was keeping the diamond band from coming too close, plus the stones were set so low.

Mark seems to put more metal on his shared prong band, so it probably offers even more protection.

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, MGR! I am glad you like it; I really do, too. Did you see the photo from the side? Am I right that the girdles of the diamonds in the band would eat away at the e-ring setting? I'm trying to get an idea of what is safe and what isn't, since I'm inexperienced with this (having worn only channel set or plain wedding bands).

I am pretty sure that I would want a full eternity. I might consider a 3/4 eternity but with the way I wear my rings loose, it would still turn around a lot. I bet I adjusted this one fifteen times just trying to take the photos! I did turn it to see if it was comfortable on the sides of my fingers and it seems to be; I'm sure the fact that the diamonds aren't too big makes a difference. The band looks sweet on its own too (by "sweet" I don't mean "Sweeeeeeet!" but more dainty and pristine! :D ). I'm so glad I tried this band out, and kudos to Tiffany for outstanding service: ordered on Monday, got it on Wednesday.

Now to see if my husband will give me his opinion tonight! He's always worried about influencing me to choose something and that if I end up not liking it, I'll blame him. I don't think I've ever done that, but he still worries, the poor henpecked man. :lol:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1326318782|3100680 said:
I didn't think the girdles would hurt that e-ring at all. The little doughnut was keeping the diamond band from coming too close, plus the stones were set so low.

Mark seems to put more metal on his shared prong band, so it probably offers even more protection.

That's what I thought as well - at least you have these pictures to share with Mark in terms of height of both rings.

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1326318782|3100680 said:

Well, that's good news! I was thinking the girdles were way too close to the doughnut and would scratch it up. Mark does put more metal on his, at least based on the one photo you found of a shared-prong band. I don't know how I feel about that; I really like seeing just the diamonds.

And just posted this and see that MGR agrees - good! I have zero experience with this so truly appreciate help from more experienced people.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, as you can see, we have been around awhile, but I still have difficulty making decisions for myself! When I saw your newest pictures, it made me really think I might want a thin rounded e-ring shank!!!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
blueiris|1326318343|3100674 said:
Enerchi|1326316827|3100653 said:

but...

Oh, I see that I confused you with my imprecise question! I'm sorry! My question about which you like was prompted by you saying "I really REALLY like that look". I wasn't sure if you were referring to the look of the five-stone ring, or to my current dilemma of how to reset my e-ring and what style and size of diamond band to have made to go with my reset.

Did you see the photo I took from the side? I don't know much about this but it looks to me that the girdles of the stones will CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP into the e-ring setting. Thoughts, based on the photo?

Also, I will most likely get a full eternity, and if I were wearing it all by itself for the majority of the time, I'd definitely want bigger stones. But for wearing with my e-ring, I thought I'd start with 8 pointers since that's what Travel Goddess has for her bead set ring (worn with her MM Flame) and I love that look (two photos of her set are posted earlier in this thread, in two different places). DS and MGR also suggested trying the 8 pointers. I debated trying to find something a little bigger to also try but all this trying requires me ordering rings from Tiffany or somewhere and returning them, so I thought I'd start with the 8 pointers. Do you think they look too small? Thanks for the opinion, enerchi!

uh huh --- guilty as charged! I was confused!! So, the question is the size of stones in the new 7 stone band, right? I think I'm on board now - :lol:

Okey dokey - you have a size 6 finger and the .8's look very good on you! But again, you mention the eternity issue that you would like a bit more, so perhaps instead of the eternity, what about a 3/4 band? You can keep the .8 size stones, just more of them - or maybe a 9 or 11 stone band? I think in proportion, the .8's work well with your ering. They are pronounced enough to be bright, white, sparkly and accent your ering, instead of over or underwhelming it. Did you rule out .10's?

I love the look - it looks perfect to me - I'd be thrilled with that ring! :love: I'm someone who tries on about a hundred things before I decide what's best for myself, but it's easy to recommend for others! :tongue:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS, when sna's wife's ring comes back, you'll be able to see her knife edge ering with a shared prong eternity. Might give you a better idea of what you really want. I have never tried on the Tiffany ering with different bands so don't really have a feel for that. My thinking goes something like this so you can see that I would have a hard time deciding too: the knife edge is probably not the most versatile way to go but it makes it look like the Tiffany ring. Oh, well, it's not the authentic Tiffany ring so does it matter that the shank is knife edge or rounded? You would need to get the shank that is the most versatile so that you could wear it with a variety of bands like you want to but. . . . you want the Tiffany look. How's that for all around the mulberry bush? I don't envy you your decision!

Blue, I think that is a very classy, elegant look. The size of the stones in the band compliment your center stone without overpowering it. As DS has said before though, Tiffany sets their stones very low and you would need that to not eat into your ering. I think you made a great call in trying that band!

janetjoan64

Shiny_Rock
I think it looks absolutely perfect!

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1326314085|3100615 said:
Ahhh, I think that is the PERFECT size! I like it better than my 10 pointers. And as you can see, the Tiffany is set super low. The only problem with a channel set with larger stones is that you'll see bigger gaps than you will with a channel set with little stones. So I really think either will look great, but you have to decide which look you like best. I do think this is the best size stone, though, for shared prong, to go with your rings.

I have so missed this thread! Blueiris, I love the size of stones in the eternity band with your ering! It is beautiful!

And DS, I think you should get your stone back from GOG, set it in your Tiffany replica of choice, and enjoy it! :D

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Owies Nana|1326343777|3100975 said:
diamondseeker2006|1326314085|3100615 said:

I have so missed this thread! Blueiris, I love the size of stones in the eternity band with your ering! It is beautiful!

And DS, I think you should get your stone back from GOG, set it in your Tiffany replica of choice, and enjoy it! :D

I wondered where you were! Did you get your new laptop?!

I may end up doing just what you said! I am hoping for a video of some stones today which should help me decide.

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
DS, I do like the rounded shank on my ring; it's very comfortable. But that's not to say I wouldn't also love a knife edge! I think it will be good, as MGR said, for you (actually, for me, too!) to see sna's wife's ring with the knife edge and an eternity band. If I do go with MM and choose the Flame, it has a knife edge, and I think I'd also strongly consider the knife edge on the Vatche. I'm anxiously waiting for the video (and photos?) from Jon and soon you'll be able to see the new stone, and maybe decide what you want to do.

enerchi, thank you for your input and opinions! I haven't tried on a band with 10 pointers. If I had one handy, I would definitely give it a try! You can see some photos of DS's 10 (or is it 11?) point band earlier in the thread with her ring. Tiffany doesn't seem to have one with 10 pointers; I think I found one with 12 pointers but it's hard to tell since they don't say how many diamonds there are in the band.

MGR, thank you for your opinion and input on keeping the band low. I really like this look too! It's still low-key enough for me but the little sparkly diamonds really do add something. I think the diamond band enhances my stone much more than I thought it would.

Owie's Nana, did you get a new lap top? I hope so! Thank you for your input on the size of the stones in the band with my e-ring. It really helps to have others' eyes and opinions!

Though I didn't capture this in the photos, the basket of my Grace tips toward the band quite a bit and I noticed several times last night when I was trying on the Tiffany band again that the prong were rubbing right against the girdles of the diamonds. It makes me wonder if eventually the girdles in the band would eat into the prongs.

I showed my husband the diamond band with my e-ring and he really likes it! He had no hesitation about saying so, so that's good.

So here are my options at the moment:

Keep the e-ring as is, in the Grace setting and get a diamond eternity band. Advantages: It's the least expensive option, and the Grace is a "known quantity" since I already have it. Disadvantages: The Grace is possibly too low for even the Tiffany band (see my comment above about noticing the e-ring tipping toward the band and the prongs rubbing on the diamonds in the band). The Grace has four prongs instead of six, and a bar around the basket (both style elements I think I'd change if I could).

Re-set the e-ring in a Vatche Tiffany lookalike. Advantages: The Vatche has six prongs, no bar, and would probably work with most any band I wanted to put with it. It's not as expensive as doing a custom MM setting. Disadvantages: Involves more cost than leaving the Grace setting.

Re-set the e-ring in a custom MM setting and have a custom diamond wedding band made. Advantages: The rings would be designed specifically for me and for my diamond, and I love MM's designs and workmanship. The ring would have six prongs, no bar, and MM's pretty woven basket. Disadvantages: The cost is very high, especially compared to leaving the Grace setting but also compared to getting the Vatche Tiffany lookalike. There is a custom development fee (it appears to be somewhere around $600 - $1000 and I assume that would be per ring), on top of the cost of the setting which is somewhere around $3000 for the e-ring (probably more in reality, due to the size of my diamond). I have no idea yet on the cost of the diamond wedding band but I'm guessing it would be pretty pricey (though I'll have the cost of a diamond band with any option). Also, there is somewhat more risk because it would be custom, essentially.

It seems obvious to me from the above that the Vatche Tiffany lookalike is the best choice to get the style elements that I want (six prongs, no bar) and to be able to wear it with any band. But if money were no object, I'd go for the MM setting for sure. And I still might! But is that just crazy? Would it even be worth it; i.e, would the differences be enough to make it "worth it"? I don't know, and I know it's a value judgment, but if any of you helpful ladies have opinions, I'd love to hear them!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My thoughts on this:

1. I would not reset into a lookalike - it's still not chump change, and while it's an improvement in some ways (the six prongs and no bar that you want) it's not what you really, really want. And because what you really, really want *is* doable (it's expensive, but it's doable), not just a wild fantasy, if you're anything like me you'll always wonder "what if". For me settling for Good Enough never seems to do the job no regrets if Ideal is within reach!

2. OTOH if you're looking to change some aspects of the design what you're talking about is essentially semi-custom... you're in a safer place than I was having my fivestone handmade for the first time because we had no models to work from or anything, but I will say that there is nothing worse than spending thousands and not being happy with the result. Truly. I do recommend you figure out what you need to be comfortable -

-Whether the vendor is okay with you participating in the process
-How much input you want to have
-What happens if you don't like what you see along the way
-What happens if you don't like the final product

I've only talked to Mark briefly and he seemed like a great guy, and I don't know how he works, but I can say that I will never again work with a vendor that is not fully accepting of my need for input at every step, no matter how lovely their work may be. That backfired once, and once was enough!

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie, thank you so much for your opinions; I really appreciate it! I honestly don't know yet if I would always wonder "what it", or if I would be perfectly satisfied with the Vatche setting. The look I'm going for is so common and "basic", nothing like the special ring you have!

Somewhere on MM's site, he says that changing elements or size (for a different size diamond, for example) involves reworking things and that each ring is an original for that reason and so I think you're right about it being semi-custom. I don't know if it still qualifies for the custom fee (which would likely be double in my case, since he'd make the band as well).

As far as your other questions, he says somewhere on his site that he is happy to talk about ideas and wants input from the customer before the designing begins, and even along the way, but that he also wants trust from the customer that he will build the ring(s) to be both structurally sound and aesthetically pleasing (I'm paraphrasing). He has a little section about "would-be designers" working with him and it doesn't sound like that's the route he likes to take! But in my case, there is nothing too complicated about any of this; basically, we're talking about an e-ring like his others only built to accommodate a shared-prong wedding band without damaging the prongs, and a shared prong wedding band. I just question if it's worth it to me, monetarily - will I notice "enough" of a difference to be happy I chose to pay for MM's work? I honestly don't know. As for being unhappy in the end, if it came to that, I have no idea what would happen (it makes me nervous to think about it, though!)

I am so happy for you that you are pleased with the outcome from DBL, especially after all you went through and the previous disapointment! I :love: :love: :love: your ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results