shape
carat
color
clarity

My new rings from BGD!

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1325914614|3097104 said:
Generally, channel set bands have a flat sides and a flat top (a more squared shape). Howwever, Mark Morrell is not your average ring maker, so it is possible he could make a rounded channel set band. I just don't think I have seen one. His bead set bands seem to be more rounded on the sides as the e-ring would be. I truly don't care whether the bands match perfectly and am sure even if you bought a Tiffany channel set band, it would be beautiful. I just think it is good to think about before buying because some people require the bands to match and others do not. I really don't because I will probably be going with the Tiffany knife edge and none of my bands will be that shape! Your rings now do have the same shape and that is why I am suggesting that you think about it. But both are classics so you can't really make a bad decision. I've just been around too long and think of minute details!

As for me, I may switch out my current stone for one that is very close to the same, but I am sort of interested in one with fluoresence. There is one I have my eye on and I am having my e-ring vendor check it out. I won't settle for less than ideal/excellent cut and I plan to stick with G VS1 1.5+ cts. (or maybe F). And I am leaning toward the Vatche Tiffany repro for the setting. I just want this to be my last setting so I have to be sure I have my forever stone.

We have one more thing in common, my left ring finger is a 5.5 and I like them to be a little loose (5.75 for some). and I wear about a 6.25 on my right hand! I agree that if you only wear the 5 stone band on your left hand that resizing might be a good idea.

I'm looking for a "smacks self on head" smiley but there doesn't appear to be one! Duh. I should have realized what you were talking about.

After sounding so sure of myself yesterday, I am taking a step back (again) and rethinking this. :oops: I looked again at my photos with my current e-ring and my YG channel band and my previous thoughts resurfaced about it not looking how I want it to look. I thought a lot yesterday about the e-ring/diamond band combinations that I am most attracted to, and I realized that I just don't want to give up yet on the idea of a shared prong band because I like that look so well (or possibly a bigger bead set band, like the one I posted of Traveling Gal's). It must be possible to wear a shared prong band without it eating the basket, isn't it? It seems so many people wear one and I can't imagine they're constantly repairing their prongs/basket.

I'm thinking that since I live nowhere near any decent stores, I might order a couple of Tiffany bands to try and then send back. I don't know how else I can get a good idea of what I like. One store here might have something I could try on but it's a long shot. They know me well because of previous purchases so It's also embarrassing for me to go in there and try on a bunch of things with no intention of buying. Could you and/or MGR (and anyone else who is familiar with Tiffany) advise me on which band(s) to order? I'd like to try one with stones that are bigger but also the band can't be too wide, since I don't think I'd like that look as much (slightly wider would be fine). I saw this one and wondered if it was a good candidate: http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Ite...-p+10-c+288152-r+101323351-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+ I also wonder if I should try one of their channel set bands, though I think I have a pretty good idea of how that looks based on my own photos. Thank you for any help!

Your current stone looks really (really!) nice! Are you changing it solely because you want fluorescence? Is the stone your vendor is checking out a G or an F? I consider F my "sweet spot", though the G I had first was really white too. Every other diamond I own besides my e-ring stone is an F. If Brian would have had an F, VS stone I would have loved that. Not that I'm complaining about an E, of course! But I always look for F first because it's still in the colorless category and it's less expensive than an E.

Commonalities: let's see how many more! :D I'm a brunette - are you? I have blue-green eyes - yours? I am left-handed - you? I'm 55 (I actually had to stop and figure out how old I am - gah!) - you? I think you've been married a couple years longer than we have; we're coming up on our 33rd in May. But IMHO, that's close enough! :lol:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found this picture of what appears to be the same band but in yellow gold. I realize you don't want yellow gold but it is the same band pictured from a different angle. What struck me about it was that you lose the continuity of the wedding band with stones only on the top - as opposed to some sort of eternity ring - be it shared prong, bead set, channel set or plain band. Just wanted to point this out although it might not be a problem for you.

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?sku=GRP00361&mcat=&cid=&fromGrid=1&search_params=s+1-p+6-c+-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+shared+prong+wedding+bands&search=1

I'm sure many people do pair the shared prong rings with erings. I don't know how long it might take to incur significant damage to the prongs of the ering but they can be fixed as well from time to time if that's the choice you make. A very slim spacer would set the rings apart and protect the ering. If the setting had a donut under the center stone creating a gap, it would help with the prongs as well.

Just a couple of thoughts as you are trolling along in the decision making process! It's good that you're not rushing to decide - just have to keep trying to cover all bases before you finally decide to buy or order.

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
MissGotRocks|1325961185|3097321 said:
I found this picture of what appears to be the same band but in yellow gold. I realize you don't want yellow gold but it is the same band pictured from a different angle. What struck me about it was that you lose the continuity of the wedding band with stones only on the top - as opposed to some sort of eternity ring - be it shared prong, bead set, channel set or plain band. Just wanted to point this out although it might not be a problem for you.

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?sku=GRP00361&mcat=&cid=&fromGrid=1&search_params=s+1-p+6-c+-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+shared+prong+wedding+bands&search=1

I'm sure many people do pair the shared prong rings with erings. I don't know how long it might take to incur significant damage to the prongs of the ering but they can be fixed as well from time to time if that's the choice you make. A very slim spacer would set the rings apart and protect the ering. If the setting had a donut under the center stone creating a gap, it would help with the prongs as well.

Just a couple of thoughts as you are trolling along in the decision making process! It's good that you're not rushing to decide - just have to keep trying to cover all bases before you finally decide to buy or order.

MGR, thank you for the photo. I did realize that the diamonds don't go all the way around, which for me is a downside, because my rings move around a lot. I don't want to be constantly adjusting another ring (I already adjust my e-ring countless times a day). I thought this one might give me a good idea of how a shared prong ring might look, though, since I've never tried one on that has round stones.

Mark Morrell has not said definitively that he can make a setting that will work with a shared prong band, so I need to clarify that. I did show him the photo of Travel Goddess's ring (sorry about getting her name wrong, above!) and asked if something like that would work. He said he can't tell from the photo if the ring is causing damage to the prongs but to avoid that it's best to make the e-ring and wedding band at the same time. I sort of abandoned that discussion at that point, thinking I would be safer with a channel set ring or one of Mark's bead set rings, especially since that's what he said during our initial conversation. But now ... I feel like I really need to try some things on to see what look I want, before making a decision that I intend to be my last setting decision forever (or at least a good, long while). If in the end I decide I really like a shared prong ring the best, I will have to pursue the idea more with Mark, or look for an alternative setting that will work with a shared prong band. I wish I liked the idea of a spacer.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really think Mark's heads are set too low for shared prong bands. There is one set that a PSer had made, though, that could work except you'd want the e-ring shank metal and not diamonds:

http://www.mwmjewelry.com/D_J_2-653ct_wed_set/slides/D_J_2-653ct_wed_set001.html

This is the band I would show him and ask him if he can make the EPT at a height that would allow this wedding band (or full eternity, whichever you want).

I have tried on the Tiffany band you linked. It is seven 8 pt. stones and it is a really nice size diamond band (3mm). But like MGR, I don't think you'd be happy with it. I have a Memoire band with seven almost 11 pointers, and it just covers the top of my finger. And since we wear the same size, you can imagine that the 8 pointers aren't going to cover quite as much surface area. I will attach a picture with my Memoire band so you can picture the coverage with 7 11 pt. stones. I prefer smaller stones, though, and would rather have a half or full diamond band with 8 pointers since it would be just a little less blingy and narrower.

(Also brunette, 56! yikes!, but brown eyes and right handed! I think MGR wears close to our ring sizes, too...is that right, MGR?)

Here are pictures of a 1.6 ct. e-ring with the band of 10 pointers. You can see that the e-ring diamond was set so it worked with the band.
And yes, I changed the whole set but I still have the Memoire band!

New Rings 039.jpg

New Rings 043a.jpg

New Rings 047d.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My ring situation is complicated and atypical of PS! I really only wanted a 1.4 or 1.5 ct. diamond to begin with, but I found the 1.63 and thought it was perfect. But in real life, most of my friends still wear their original e-rings even though they could have much larger diamonds. My sisters, sister's-in-law, and oldest daughter all wear around 1.0-1.25 cts. I just sometimes feel like I wish I had stuck with my original parameters. Poor MGR has heard this tale a lot of times, so I am sorry she is having to read it again! :loopy: So I am exploring slightly smaller stones (although the one I am looking at right now is not very much smaller because it is just under 1.6!). I am trying to see if a G with fluoro is whiter than the G without (my original one carat diamond is F color and very white!). I had also considered going with a specialty cut like the August Vintage stones from Good Old Gold. But I have decided against that for my e-ring, because like you, I feel like classic and simple is really best for me. I have always had a round solitaire and I that is what I still want. I may even keep my current stone. I am just trying to be sure of what I want because I REALLY intend this to be my final reset, final diamond.

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
This is a great thread. I am comforted to see that so many of us vacillate over our wedding and ering settings. Blueiris, please keep the pics and questions coming. I know I am learning a lot, and still figuring out what I want to do with mine!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Owies Nana|1325982715|3097518 said:
This is a great thread. I am comforted to see that so many of us vacillate over our wedding and ering settings. Blueiris, please keep the pics and questions coming. I know I am learning a lot, and still figuring out what I want to do with mine!

Hi, ON! I am glad you joined us! I thought you were considering the Vatche Tiffany repro the last I saw. Are you considering some others, too? We really want to see that amazing stone set!!!

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1325978993|3097482 said:
I really think Mark's heads are set too low for shared prong bands. There is one set that a PSer had made, though, that could work except you'd want the e-ring shank metal and not diamonds:

http://www.mwmjewelry.com/D_J_2-653ct_wed_set/slides/D_J_2-653ct_wed_set001.html

This is the band I would show him and ask him if he can make the EPT at a height that would allow this wedding band (or full eternity, whichever you want).

I have tried on the Tiffany band you linked. It is seven 8 pt. stones and it is a really nice size diamond band (3mm). But like MGR, I don't think you'd be happy with it. I have a Memoire band with seven almost 11 pointers, and it just covers the top of my finger. And since we wear the same size, you can imagine that the 8 pointers aren't going to cover quite as much surface area. I will attach a picture with my Memoire band so you can picture the coverage with 7 11 pt. stones. I prefer smaller stones, though, and would rather have a half or full diamond band with 8 pointers since it would be just a little less blingy and narrower.

(Also brunette, 56! yikes!, but brown eyes and right handed! I think MGR wears close to our ring sizes, too...is that right, MGR?)

Here are pictures of a 1.6 ct. e-ring with the band of 10 pointers. You can see that the e-ring diamond was set so it worked with the band.

DS, I swear I have looked all over Mark's site and still missed those rings! Thank you for posting them.

I really need to clarify with Mark if he can make something for me that will work with a shared prong band. If not, then either I set my sights on a channel set or bead set, or move to a different e-ring setting.

I saw that the Tiffany band I linked and that you tried on is 8 pt. stones and that was why I was interested in seeing it with my diamond. Travel Goddess's bead set band from BGD that she wears with her MM Flame has 8 pt. stones (full eternity, too!) and I really like the look of hers with her Flame. I wouldn't keep the Tiffany band but I thought it might be the only way I can see if that's the look I want. (As an aside, wow, Tiffany's prices are high! I rarely look at their high end products so I was shocked at the price for a .56 ct band!)

Your Memoire band looks fabulous with your ring! I love the Memoire bands. I can understand why you might prefer to have smaller stones though. Do you ever wear the Memoire band alone?

Re: Possibly changing your diamond. I understand more than you probably think. One of the reasons I wanted to see the 2.54 was I was uncomfortable with the 2.90. Even though I'd had a 3.03 emerald cut, I always felt my emerald cut was too big, especially with 2 .50 ct. trapezoids flanking it. I felt conspicuous wearing that ring (though I got a zillion compliments). When we decided to sell my emerald cut and I knew I wanted a round, I definitely did not want a 3 ct. round. I glued little circles to my finger and decided I'd be happy with 2 - 2.5 ct. I am quite tall (6' - we probably don't have that in common, lol) and we both liked the proportions of a 2.5 ct. on my finger, especially as a solitaire, so that's what I started out looking for. Anyway, I was very happy that we liked the 2.54 better in the end because I felt more comfortable with it being somewhat smaller! (It was also nice that it was higher in color & clarity.) Very atypical, I know! I sometimes still feel like my ring does look ostentatious and still, after 1.5 years with it, I ask my husband nearly weekly if it's "too big". He always shakes his head and smiles and says, "NO." So I get what you're saying, but ---- I think your 1.63 looks very, very nice on your finger. It looks big (I mean that in the nicest possible way) but not ostentatious in the least. I think that's one advantage of "simple" settings. Your new setting will also be very simple and elegant, and no matter which stone you decide - keep your current beauty or find another you love - I'm sure you'll be happy.

I find it really interesting that we've both expressed the same desire: to have this be our last setting. After many years of wearing the same ring, which I would never have changed had I not lost it (unless I happened to find PS, of course!), and then going through several changes over a period of 15 more years, I really long for the stability of not wanting a change. Maybe it has something to do with getting older and set in my ways!

Owies Nana, I'm glad you are learning from my rambling, blathering indecisiveness! You have a lot of fortitude to patiently read through this thread, too! :lol: I'm going to check out your posts so I can see the amazing stone that DS is referring to ... and I'm sure we'd all love to hear what you're thinking for your stone. (Don't worry about "thread jacking" because I don't care in the least!)

Oh, and *cough*. Speaking of indecisiveness, now I'm questioning the EPT choice. I'm remembering rings from the 70s (maybe? I'm not sure) in mall ads that tapered in toward the basket/stone (as the Extreme Petite Torchiere does). I never liked the look of those rings. So ... I know MM's PT and EPT are fairly mild in their tapering, but am I going to end up having a flashback to those ads and hating it? Groan .......

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1325978993|3097482 said:

I think DS does make some really valid points here in terms of diamond sizes in a band. The Memoire band she posts here looks beautiful with her solitaire but I too agree with her that smaller stones would look better. Better might not be the correct choice of words but if wanting that solitaire stone to pop, you really would want those stones smaller so that they accent the center stone. There are cons to full eternity bands but they do eliminate the spinning and if you wanted a band and shank to match completely, a full eternity could be the way to go!

Yes, I too am brunette, 54, blue eyes and right handed. My left hand is a size 5 to 5.25. Seems like everyone my age is now blond except me! I was born with dark hair and never ventured from it.

I was in the crowd championing DS to get the 1.6 stone a few years ago. I figured DSS would set in for sure if she got the smaller stone and she would regret it. Little did I know that she would regret the larger size! She has a beautiful stone though and I doubt she'll see a huge difference in a tiny bit smaller stone. As far as a whiter stone goes, I honestly am beginning to think that ideal cut stones can only be so white regardless of their color grade. I think the cutting of the H&A stones produces these arrows and scintillation that just in the mechanics of the cut produces an overall darker stone. Does that make sense? I say that because in looking back and remembering other stones I had, they were whiter but did not have the sparkle that these stones do. They were disorganized in comparison to H&A but in my opinion were overall much whiter than the two H&A stones I've had. At the end of the day, I still have to go with the sparkle. It's what makes these stones come alive for me! I'll be really interested in stone comparisons if she goes with another stone.

I applaud you both for your patience and determination to get it right. I so understand wanting to get something that you are 100% happy with so you can move forward with other things and projects. Diamonds are so expensive and changing things around creates even more expense. Everytime I've even been tempted to make a change, I back up because it's so darn hard to be sure that you're not making a mistake. It's not that I don't like what I have but you see so many pretty things here that it's hard not to be tempted!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I do wear the Memoire alone when I just want to wear something simple to run errands or something. That's one reason I have kept it. Now I am wearing the 5 stone a little more, but it is good to have alternatives for some variety!

I know one thing Owies Nana wants is the ability to wear different bands. And I think that is good because if we all end up with the permanent e-ring, then we can get variety if we want by having more than one band!! But of course, if you get one that matches perfectly, you may never want to have an alternate band. But that is fine since you have your beautiful 5 stone band to wear as an alternate!

I am glad you understand the size insanity. There are certain places we go that I really enjoy having nice jewelry, but it is hard to wear in some other circumstances (such as with friends whose husbands had great jobs and then lost them, etc.). I was thinking of going back below 1.5 cts., but I quickly realized that I might regret that. So I am definitely sticking to 1.5+ or keeping my current diamond. I am not going to downgrade the overall quality because I know I would never be satisfied. But if I find one for a little less than my current diamond, then it would pay for the new setting, which would be nice!

I would definitely love wearing a larger diamond if I lived in a larger city and had more around me. I'd love to be able to wear yours, or MGR's or Owies Nana's amazing diamonds! I could have gotten over two carats had I wanted at the time, but I just went to higher specs since I didn't want to go larger.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MGR...gosh funny that we are all brunette with close to the same finger sizes and age! I, too, have always had dark brown hair and there is no way on earth I can change to blond. My eyebrows are still dark brown. It just wouldn't be me if I changed to blond! I remember seeing someone who made that change a few years ago and I really didn't recognize her!

Very interesting but my original one carat F diamond had a large table and was incredibly white and bright! I got compliments on it a lot, even though it certainly wasn't even close to being well cut. I also would have to prefer ideal cut at this point, but I wish I could see the effect of different table sizes to see how bright it makes the stone.

MGR, I do love my diamond. I am going to get Jonathan to take a picture of a 7.4mm stone next to a 7.6mm stone for me to see what the difference looks like. You may be right that there isn't enough difference, but it is hard for me to know since I can't try them on!!! I did order some different size cz stud earrings, though, and that has helped me visualize diamond size much better. But I just have a 7mm and a 7.5mm, and not the exact sizes I need. I'll post pictures if I get pics from Jonathan. I really want to go up there, but I am a little afraid to go up to NYC in the winter!!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1325997829|3097702 said:
MGR...gosh funny that we are all brunette with close to the same finger sizes and age! I, too, have always had dark brown hair and there is no way on earth I can change to blond. My eyebrows are still dark brown. It just wouldn't be me if I changed to blond! I remember seeing someone who made that change a few years ago and I really didn't recognize her!

Very interesting but my original one carat F diamond had a large table and was incredibly white and bright! I got compliments on it a lot, even though it certainly wasn't even close to being well cut. I also would have to prefer ideal cut at this point, but I wish I could see the effect of different table sizes to see how bright it makes the stone.

MGR, I do love my diamond. I am going to get Jonathan to take a picture of a 7.4mm stone next to a 7.6mm stone for me to see what the difference looks like. You may be right that there isn't enough difference, but it is hard for me to know since I can't try them on!!! I did order some different size cz stud earrings, though, and that has helped me visualize diamond size much better. But I just have a 7mm and a 7.5mm, and not the exact sizes I need. I'll post pictures if I get pics from Jonathan. I really want to go up there, but I am a little afraid to go up to NYC in the winter!!!

Yes, that's the sort of cut I was talking about. The last stone I had before ideal cut was more of a 60/60 stone and it was a very white stone. I don't know any of the other specs about it though but clearly it was not ideal cut. When you get into the precision cut stones, I just think they block out some of the brightness because that brightness is balanced out with more scintillation. In our early days of having diamonds, we were looking for white stones. The H&A cut just doesn't seem to produce that bright, white look all the time.

Going to GOG would be a wonderful learning experience. I suppose if Jonathan had some things for you to look at and you could check the weather and know you had a few good weather days ahead, you could book a flight and go on up. It's so hard to make comparisons online and by shipping stones back and forth. It gets expensive and it's probably still hard to decide on one stone or the other. I hope that in the end one stone (maybe even the one you have) jumps out at you as being the one. It's a hard decision and I wish you all the best with it!

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1325985269|3097542 said:

Hi, ON! I am glad you joined us! I thought you were considering the Vatche Tiffany repro the last I saw. Are you considering some others, too? We really want to see that amazing stone set!!!

It has been tough to contribute lately. My laptop died, and typing on this tablet is a such a pain! :rolleyes:

I am still thinking about the Vatche (U-113) setting, but the conversation in this thread regarding setting height for solitaires makes me worried about mixing and matching with my different assortment of wedding bands if I choose that setting. I don't like the idea of limiting which of the bands I want to wear on any given day. Of course, based on all of my reading here on PS, I can see that I am in very good company! :infamous:

DS, if you decide to go to NYC, let me know. We could have so much fun meeting in person to drool over all of the goodies there. :lickout:

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
MGR, you too are a brunette, and nearly the same age and DS and I! I'm the only lefty, though (lefties are supposed to be more clumsy - I'd say that's true, judging from the bruises I always seem to have from bumping into things). Your fingers are smaller, too. I was wondering what size is your right ring finger, where you wear your Memoire band. I'm betting it's smaller than my right ring finger, and so if that's the case, I'd wonder if it's the setting of mine that makes it feel a little uncomfortable, since both our rings are 2 tcw.

I think .08 stones for a diamond band might be the right size for me, too. I am going to order that ring from Tiffany to see it (and then send it back). Then at least I will have a better idea.

My other diamonds were nowhere near as precisely cut as my ideal cut ones are, and also of different cut (not round). So it's harder for me to judge whiteness and scintillation - but I do know I've never seen stones with so much life as my ideal cut rounds! I know what you mean about the darkness, and like you, I still wouldn't trade these stones for "whiter", less lively stones. Your ring is amazing (don't ever change it!), but I understand the intermittent (and thankfully, usually fleeting) desire to change things around when you see all the fabulous stones and rings and other jewelry on PS. But like you, I'm very cautious now.

DS, I will be very interested to see the difference in size (if any) between your current stone and the one you're considering. I love, love, love your current stone. It looks so beautiful in the photos you posted! I think your decision to stay with a round brilliant because it's classic is excellent; we've discussed more than a couple times our, and MGR's, classic taste in jewelry. It's the reason i wanted a RB for my ring. I felt like I couldn't go wrong with it and I've gone wrong more times than I care to admit! (Hence my extreme caution and indecisiveness now with considering a new (final) setting.) As for size, I don't live in a larger city but a number of people I know do have a larger stone (some of them really ugly, I'm sorry to say). It's definitely not the norm for our community though. It's good that you have your Memoire band and now your gorgeous five-stone that you can wear when you don't want to wear your solitaire.

Owies Nana, so sorry about your lap top! My husband just got a wireless keyboard for his iPad and this folding "origami" thing so he can set the iPad in the top and the keyboard fits in the bottom. It looks like a little laptop when it's set up. He likes it for when he's doing a lot of typing. I checked out your new diamond - wow!!! That is an amazing, huge stone! I will be very interested to hear how you set it, and it's great that you have a selection of bands to wear with it, too.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BlueIris, my right hand ring finger is a size 5.5. I think this 2 ctw Memoire band completely maximizes out finger coverage and that's a good thing - I'll never be interested in trading it up! The beauty of you being so tall is that you've got elegant, slender fingers to wear your diamond beauties! My fingers are short so I think that's another reason I just like classic looks - everything else looks too overdone on my fingers.

I'll be anxiously awaiting the Tiffany band for pictures. I'm sorry there's not one closer by so you don't have to go through the hassle and expense of shipping but hopefully you'll get a good perspective on diamond size for whatever band you end up getting. I think after folks go through the swap/trade/upgrade scenario a few times, they become much more cautious about the next move. It's a large financial step but I always found it to be very emotional too. It's wonderful when things turn out the way you want them to but devastating if they don't. I'm sure many of us have felt that disappointment more than a few times!

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
Blueiris, thanks for the info about your hubby's iPad with the attachment that he uses to type. Mine is an HP that DH got on closeout, but I am not liking it. I am just going to go with another laptop; more money for diamonds that way! :naughty:

How funny is it that you, DS and I are all brunettes, and are all married 30+ years (32 for us in May)! Thanks so much for your kind comments about my stone. It was an amazing find. When I called Yekutiel and asked him if he could source it for me, he told me that he wasn't sure about what it would look like, but when he got it and looked it over, he was very pleased with my (by the cert specs only) inspection. Thanks to the info posted here, I was able to make an heirloom quality choice sight unseen with visual confirmation by a reputable vendor. :appl:

When I get my new laptop and can post pictures, I think I will start a thread asking people to post anniversary stories with pictures of their anniversary upgrades. Of course, I am lucky to have not upgraded mine: I was given additions to my collection so I can show all...and tell the story of our relationship with a walk through my jewelry box! It's just too bad that there were no such thing as "push presents" back when I had my kids. ;(

I will just have to make up for it when more grandchildren are born. :lol:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Owies Nana|1326004251|3097739 said:
diamondseeker2006|1325985269|3097542 said:

It has been tough to contribute lately. My laptop died, and typing on this tablet is a such a pain! :rolleyes:

I am still thinking about the Vatche (U-113) setting, but the conversation in this thread regarding setting height for solitaires makes me worried about mixing and matching with my different assortment of wedding bands if I choose that setting. I don't like the idea of limiting which of the bands I want to wear on any given day. Of course, based on all of my reading here on PS, I can see that I am in very good company! :infamous:

DS, if you decide to go to NYC, let me know. We could have so much fun meeting in person to drool over all of the goodies there. :lickout:

Now that REALLY makes me tempted! It would be SO much more fun to have someone to shop with!

I think the Vatche Tiffany is a good choice for wearing various bands, but that same ring can be made with a rounded shank if you think that would go better with your bands.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Owies Nana|1326049798|3098003 said:
Blueiris, thanks for the info about your hubby's iPad with the attachment that he uses to type. Mine is an HP that DH got on closeout, but I am not liking it. I am just going to go with another laptop; more money for diamonds that way! :naughty:

How funny is it that you, DS and I are all brunettes, and are all married 30+ years (32 for us in May)! Thanks so much for your kind comments about my stone. It was an amazing find. When I called Yekutiel and asked him if he could source it for me, he told me that he wasn't sure about what it would look like, but when he got it and looked it over, he was very pleased with my (by the cert specs only) inspection. Thanks to the info posted here, I was able to make an heirloom quality choice sight unseen with visual confirmation by a reputable vendor. :appl:

When I get my new laptop and can post pictures, I think I will start a thread asking people to post anniversary stories with pictures of their anniversary upgrades. Of course, I am lucky to have not upgraded mine: I was given additions to my collection so I can show all...and tell the story of our relationship with a walk through my jewelry box! It's just too bad that there were no such thing as "push presents" back when I had my kids. ;(

I cannot believe you said that! I JUST said that to a vendor in an email that I wanted to start a new trend of getting a jewelry item in honor of each grandchild!

I have my original diamond, also. My husband was happy for me to get a new set for an anniversary, but he thought I should keep the original set as it was.

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1326055263|3098052 said:

I cannot believe you said that! I JUST said that to a vendor in an email that I wanted to start a new trend of getting a jewelry item in honor of each grandchild!

I have my original diamond, also. My husband was happy for me to get a new set for an anniversary, but he thought I should keep the original set as it was.

DS, I have my original also. The diamond is soooooooo tiny, but it still fits (size 6). I was able to find a fabulous 11+gms platinum art deco eternity band (1.5 ct single cut) when my grandson was born three years ago. I had the thought that he might like to use it as a wedding band for his bride when he gets married. It recently appraised at 10x what I paid for it. How's that for planning ahead!

I would love to shop diamonds in NYC with you, DS, even if it is just to "window shop". I just have to take the train up from Baltimore. The earlier we plan it, the cheaper our tickets will be. :appl: We will have to create a thread to chronicle our adventure!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Owies Nana|1326057592|3098077 said:
diamondseeker2006|1326055263|3098052 said:

DS, I have my original also. The diamond is soooooooo tiny, but it still fits (size 6). I was able to find a fabulous 11+gms platinum art deco eternity band (1.5 ct single cut) when my grandson was born three years ago. I had the thought that he might like to use it as a wedding band for his bride when he gets married. It recently appraised at 10x what I paid for it. How's that for planning ahead!

I would love to shop diamonds in NYC with you, DS, even if it is just to "window shop". I just have to take the train up from Baltimore. The earlier we plan it, the cheaper our tickets will be. :appl: We will have to create a thread to chronicle our adventure!

Uh-oh, I'm very close to Baltimore too! Wouldn't that be a hoot? I think once you reach NYC you have to take another mode of transport to Long Island where GOG is located. Could be a fun trip!

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
MGR, three women on a diamond hunting mission would probably be more than any of our poor guys would care to handle! :halo:

I have to stop in to see Yekutiel to meet him in person, and would love to browse some of the diamond dealers' shops in Manhattan. We could probably take the Long Island Rail Road out to GOG. Dinner at Becco would end a perfect day. :naughty:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Owies Nana|1326065117|3098140 said:
MGR, three women on a diamond hunting mission would probably be more than any of our poor guys would care to handle! :halo:

I have to stop in to see Yekutiel to meet him in person, and would love to browse some of the diamond dealers' shops in Manhattan. We could probably take the Long Island Rail Road out to GOG. Dinner at Becco would end a perfect day. :naughty:

Yes, and I would feel a bit sorry for Jon and Yekutiel as well. All this pent up desire to see MANY diamonds would be hard for those fellows to take!

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I just saw this thread and I'm so flattered that you like the look of my set!!

If you have any questions, I'd love to help answer them. My Flame setting does not seem thick to me at all. I was honestly a little worried and thought I'd prefer something a bit thinner but I think it's pretty perfect. I also prefer that the BGD band is slightly wider than the ering. The bling factor is pretty great with my bead set. The metal that shows up in the pictures is so much more apparent in photos than it is IRL.

Also, re: the tiny diamonds in the crown of the MM, I rarely even see them, but when I do, they make me smile.

I'm sure whatever you go with will be simply stunning. :love:

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
Travel Goddess|1326070723|3098212 said:
I just saw this thread and I'm so flattered that you like the look of my set!!

If you have any questions, I'd love to help answer them. My Flame setting does not seem thick to me at all. I was honestly a little worried and thought I'd prefer something a bit thinner but I think it's pretty perfect. I also prefer that the BGD band is slightly wider than the ering. The bling factor is pretty great with my bead set. The metal that shows up in the pictures is so much more apparent in photos than it is IRL.

Also, re: the tiny diamonds in the crown of the MM, I rarely even see them, but when I do, they make me smile.

I'm sure whatever you go with will be simply stunning. :love:

I love your set, Travel Goddess! It's gorgeous. It's really good to hear that you don't find the Flame setting too thick. I do have a few questions (and may think of more) so thank yo for being willing to helpl!

What made you choose the Flame over the Petite Torchiere? I'm wavering back and forth between the two. I think you said the BGD band is 3mm, and the Flame (according to Mark's site) is 3mm, but it sounds like the Flame is a little narrower (which suits me fine).

How comfortable is the knife edge on your Flame? I've never worn a knife edge and worry that it will poke my fingers. I haven't asked Mark, but I am guessing he can make the Flame without the knife edge, too.

Have you noticed any wear on your prongs or basket from the girdles of the diamonds in your BGD band? (I love that band, it's beautiful!) When I spoke with Mark he mentioned that he came up with the "Extreme" Flame to raise up the basket a little to allow a wedding band to sit more flush. He cautioned me about the girdles of diamonds in a band rubbing against the prongs, and suggested a bead set with a little more metal on the sides (he shows these bands on his site) or a channel set.

If you have a chance, I would truly appreciate some more photos. I'd love to see your Flame and BGD band from the side so I can see how near the basket/prongs the band sits. I'd also love to see the Flame in profile (like lying flat, photographed from above, maybe?) And of course, any other photos you'd like to take I am more than happy to ogle! :D

Thank you so much, Travel Goddess!

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
MissGotRocks|1326049140|3097994 said:
BlueIris, my right hand ring finger is a size 5.5. I think this 2 ctw Memoire band completely maximizes out finger coverage and that's a good thing - I'll never be interested in trading it up! The beauty of you being so tall is that you've got elegant, slender fingers to wear your diamond beauties! My fingers are short so I think that's another reason I just like classic looks - everything else looks too overdone on my fingers.

I'll be anxiously awaiting the Tiffany band for pictures. I'm sorry there's not one closer by so you don't have to go through the hassle and expense of shipping but hopefully you'll get a good perspective on diamond size for whatever band you end up getting. I think after folks go through the swap/trade/upgrade scenario a few times, they become much more cautious about the next move. It's a large financial step but I always found it to be very emotional too. It's wonderful when things turn out the way you want them to but devastating if they don't. I'm sure many of us have felt that disappointment more than a few times!

So your right ring finger is a half to three-quarters size smaller than my right ring finger, which may confirm my thought that it's my setting causing the problem. When you close your fingers while wearing the ring, do you partially cover the two end stones? I suspect that if I had my ring set more like the top of an eternity (i.e., without the baby end diamonds that are in bezels), I would partially cover part of the two end stones. I may not care about that though; I just want the ring to be more comfortable.

I am very interested to see how the Tiffany band looks with my ring too, since I've never tried on a shared prong with it (except my five-stone which looks awful - and way too huge - with it). I wish we had a Tiffany here too, except it's probably for the best that we don't! :lol:

Owies Nana, another brunette who has been married a long time! We need our own club! :D And to all three of you fellow brunette ladies: I hope the three of you do get to do a fun meet-up in NYC! I'm already jealous just reading about it. I'd have to leave my credit cards and checkbook at home if I made that trip!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, a group trip would be the MOST fun!!! Can you get to NYC, blueiris??? The only bad thing is that I would need to go soon to look at this diamond he picked up for me to look at, but if he says he doesn't like it Tuesday perhaps we can plan a trip! Ideally what I'd like to do is to come into NYC on a Thursday, go to a show that night, do 47th St. on Friday and then go out to Long Island (which I have zero idea how to do!). I would need to spend Friday night near Good Old Gold so that I could have all day Saturday there, if needed to make a decision on something. So those that wanted to come for the day Friday could go both places and go on back if they wanted, or maybe someone would come Thursday and go to a show with me!

Blue Iris, GOG carries at least one of MM's settings, too, so you could try that on, and Owies Nana could try on settings at IDJ and GOG, too!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ladies - if you all manage to meet up, could you post a daily diary / blog of all the lovely trinkets you try on - with PHOTOS of course!! That sounds like a total riot - all of you PS'ers meeting and overwhelming the poor 47th st merchants!! LOL!!

You should organize a thread for 'NYC Diamond shopping expeditions' or something like that! You could do tours!! I'm interested---later in the year....!!

Enjoy if you go - and take lots of photos!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi.....ah, now that would be a dream job..organizing jewelry shopping trips to NYC! Love it!!!

Owies Nana...We NEED to see that art deco eternity band!!!! :love:

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
I can promise all PEers following this thread that if we are able to coordinate this trip, the postings will be great reading...and the pictures of the goodies will be drool-worthy! :love:

DS, please give me as much notice as possible. I will have to rearrange my client schedule in order to participate. And unfortunately, I probably won't be able to get away for a show. :(sad :(sad

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1326076189|3098258 said:
Enerchi.....ah, now that would be a dream job..organizing jewelry shopping trips to NYC! Love it!!!

Owies Nana...We NEED to see that art deco eternity band!!!! :love:

I don't know how to load pictures on this tablet. ;( ;(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results