shape
carat
color
clarity

My New Art Deco Inspired Setting!!! Now the center stone...non-gia??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

celly555

Rough_Rock
What do you think? I''ve been trying to find other settings that are similiar but can''t find anything comparable...trying to find the perfect center stone. this center stone is non-certified. any thoughts? how do we know if we''re getting a good deal? the jeweler said it was a 1.6, round, ex cut, g color, vs2. how do we know that w/o a certificate? appreciate your help

cesiliasmaller.JPG

jayrenay9

Brilliant_Rock
Cool ring!!

You won''t know if you''re getting a good deal without any kind of certification. You can do a couple of things... you could have the jeweler submit the stone to GIA or you could have the sale contingent upon an appraisal from an idependent appraiser. Did you ask the jeweler why it''s not certified? How much is he asking for the stone?

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Yeeeeeah. You don''t know, in short, and it will be hard to tell everything since the diamond is mounted. Mmmm. Unless it isn''t actually mounted? Not clear on that.

Independent appraisal at the jeweler''s expense, I think, if he won''t do that then pay for it yourself.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not against buying an uncerted diamond..many old cuts don''t have certs. But, I would want to verify that i''m getting what the vendor is selling. I would see if they will send it to a local appraiser to confirm what they are telling is accurate and whether the price is fair. Many stores will also allow a 10 day or 30 day return period so you could buy it, have it checked out and return it if it didn''t like up. interesting that the store would set a un-certed stone into a repro setting.
can you not find your own stone and have them make/order another setting for it or will they let you buy just the setting and then you can''t hunt down your own stone? that would be my preference.

celly555

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/4/2007 4:06:56 AM
Author: jayrenay9
Cool ring!!

You won''t know if you''re getting a good deal without any kind of certification. You can do a couple of things... you could have the jeweler submit the stone to GIA or you could have the sale contingent upon an appraisal from an idependent appraiser. Did you ask the jeweler why it''s not certified? How much is he asking for the stone?
I went to this wholesale jewelry center to look for diamonds. He said he was not certified because then the diamond would cost more and told me not to get mixed up with all that certification "bs". He did tell me that i could have it appraised myself and return it if i was not satisfied. He is asking 7800. (the diamond has not been mounted, just dropped in)

Thank you so much for your advice. Here is another pict of me wearing the ring but its alittle blurry.
19.gif

cesi2.JPG

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
It''s a lovely setting, but I wouldn''t say it''s Art Deco at all. It''s very unique though. And looks very sparkly on your finger and gives you great finger coverage, which is always a plus! Good luck on your center stone search...cant wait to see the finished product. Oh, and if you love it that much, just buy it and get your stone elsewhere. That guy sounds like he''s trying to pull one over on you. If you want a GIA/AGS stone, then he should get in some to show you. Otherwise, I''d move on to someone else. "Cert''d stones are bs..." Huh?!?

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Ahhhhhh, the B.S. line...A jeweler recently gave this to me. I think some of these folks have been in the business for so long that certs seem like a formality. They can look at them and grade it easily. Or else he''s trying to pull the wool over your eyes. If you LOVE the stone and feel like the price is reasonable, make sure you have a return policy in writing, and have the stone appraised.

celly555

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/4/2007 12:27:06 PM
Author: surfgirl
It''s a lovely setting, but I wouldn''t say it''s Art Deco at all. It''s very unique though. And looks very sparkly on your finger and gives you great finger coverage, which is always a plus! Good luck on your center stone search...cant wait to see the finished product. Oh, and if you love it that much, just buy it and get your stone elsewhere. That guy sounds like he''s trying to pull one over on you. If you want a GIA/AGS stone, then he should get in some to show you. Otherwise, I''d move on to someone else. ''Cert''d stones are bs...'' Huh?!?
Thank you (: ! I bought this setting not from the wholesaler but from a reputable jeweler in town. He told me that my setting was made from some 79 year old designer from Italy. (He used to be his apprentice) From what he told me the designer likes to recreate rings from the early 1900''s...and told me thats its prob art deco. I wonder what kind of style it is if its not art deco. Anyone know?

Yah...the wholesaler did sound fishy. Thanks so much for everyones comments!! (:

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
What a pretty ring! I love the design with all the curves...guess I''m partial because mine has a curvy split shank but that is really, really nice with the curves around the center stone! Hand shot looks fantastic! Good luck choosing a center stone...and about the certification "bs" comment...hmmmm....that makes me feel a bit wary of this guy. I tend to agree with Surfgirl to go ahead and get the setting if you really love it and get your center stone elsewhere.

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, that ring is so pretty and unique! I don''t agree with your jeweler''s comment about a cert being BS though, it protects the customer because it''s a reputable lab guaranteeing you''re getting what he says you''re getting! I would at least have it appraised before biting the bullet, or maybe just buy the setting and then get a stunning ideal cut diamond from one of the PS vendors.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I really like that setting. It looks excellent on your hand too. It''s not deco, more like a are nouveau feeling with all those curves. But it does not matter what the name is, what matters is that it is very pretty.

The jeweler is asking a fairly good price for a 1.6 stone if it is as he claims. But it proabbly isn''t as he claims, so you might need to keep looking. I think you are on the right track though - it really looks good on you.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the picture of the setting on the holder but I LOVE it on your hand. You picked a setting that looks just fantastic on your hand.
36.gif

As far as the center stone all of the PSers above are correct -- if you love that stone get it appraised. If you don''t love THAT stone then keep looking!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to agree w/ surfgirl re: the style not being art deco at all. Looks romantic, artistic and pretty to me--just not art deco!
2.gif

bam2k

Rough_Rock
The setting is absolutely stunning! I love the movement and unique lines. Can''t wait to learn what you decide to drop in for the center stone.

Is the setting a one of kind piece? I would love to know more about the setting if you have any details to share.

celly555

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/4/2007 8:17:48 PM
Author: bam2k
The setting is absolutely stunning! I love the movement and unique lines. Can''t wait to learn what you decide to drop in for the center stone.

Is the setting a one of kind piece? I would love to know more about the setting if you have any details to share.

Thank you all for your kind words!!
30.gif
I really wanted something unique, dainty & intricate - something I wouldn''t see everyday. I was initially looking at vintage settings but came across this setting and knew it was the "one" (: Unfortunately, I don''t know much about it. My jeweler used to be the apprentice of the designer. He only had one in the store and if he sold it before I could purchase it, he said it would take months for him to get another one. He said the designer is really old and is very slow. He also said the designer likes to search through old jewelry books and come up with new settings. So, I don''t know if this is a replica of something or his actual design. If I find out more, I''ll post the information for you.

The center stone will either be round brilliant or a princess cut - not sure which one yet. I''m leaning toward the round brilliant but the princess cut at an angle might make it look more interesting. Opinions anyone?

Rock Candy

Brilliant_Rock
I absolutely LOVE this ring on your hand! It''s very unique and gorgeous! For the center stone, I prefer the RB over the princess.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a lovely and unique setting. Love it!! I vote for a RB.
30.gif
30.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks so beautiful. I saw something similar at a jeweler here in Milpitas CA and fell in love. Head over heals (I'm only looking for a setting though, I didn't care about the uncertified H radiant in it). But I was afraid of the setting quality with all that pave and thinness of the bands... so MUCH to my regret. I passed it by. I still wonder if I made the right choice. I LOVE your setting. Not art Deco though, at all.

I would pass on the stone... and hold out for a cert.

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
I vote for a RB or maybe a cushion in there if you want something squarer, but I wouldn''t a do a princess. The sharp lines of a princess would not "go" with the curvy lines in the ring IMO.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Ooooo! I like it, it''s very unique and pretty on your hand. Would you wear it solo or with some sort of wedding band?

As far as the center stone, it actually looks like a nice diamond from the pictures. If you like it, I''d take it and have it appraised by an independent appraiser. If it turns out to be lesser quality, then you can negotiate a price or get another diamond. If it comes out as specified, I''m not personally opposed to an uncertified stone. See if you can get a Sarin report so you can check the quality of the cut. I think it does look very sparkly.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Lovely and unique! Great choice!

cheers--Sharon

HappyAnniversary

Shiny_Rock
I agree with everyone--it looks fabulous on your hand. I talked with a diamond "wholesaler" and he said the same thing--certs are not necessary and they just add $200 to the cost of the diamond, BUT that meant I had to trust his judgement and I really didn''t trust him. It was when I just started out looking for a diamond and hadn''t found pricescope yet.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I adore the setting you''ve purchased!!!!!

Honestly, anyone that told me not to buy into diamond report ''bs'' would not be getting business from me. That''s nutty.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

I''m not sure about the diamond details, but your ring is one of the prettiest I''ve seen on here. Very unique and it looks great on your hand!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
your setting is absolutely stunning!!! far and away one of my favorites, it suits your hand so perfectly! i definately vote for an RB, it looks so beautiful as pictured, and i wouldn''t mess with that (and this is coming from someone who has a princess cut).

if i were in your shoes, i would make the sale contingent upon an appraisal (which i would want to arrange myself) or be assured of the return policy and get it in writing. if it appraises as indicated and i loved loved loved it, i''d buy it (or keep it). if it didn''t appraise as specified, i would keep looking (or return it if purchased), and i would find a new vendor and a new diamond. no harm in having an appraisal for any diamond so you know exactly what you are looking at and to get an unbiased opinion, and well worth the money spent for one since overall the cost is pebbles compared to the cost of a diamond!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW I love the setting ... it just look perfect on you! And SO blingy!!! (Agree it''s more "Nouveau" than "Deco" -- deco is generally angular, linear, architectual ... where nouveau is more organic, curvelicious)

Yanno -- that stone looks pretty great too. I''d be peeved the "bs" dude but I dunno if I''d be peeved ENOUGH to pass up a good deal (if it turns out to be a good deal as established by an INDEP. appraiser).

Def ROUND for that setting ... keep with the organic flow

YUM!!! Great selection -- can''t wait to see more pix!

celly555

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/5/2007 10:45:20 PM
Author: decodelighted
WOW I love the setting ... it just look perfect on you! And SO blingy!!! (Agree it''s more ''Nouveau'' than ''Deco'' -- deco is generally angular, linear, architectual ... where nouveau is more organic, curvelicious)

Yanno -- that stone looks pretty great too. I''d be peeved the ''bs'' dude but I dunno if I''d be peeved ENOUGH to pass up a good deal (if it turns out to be a good deal as established by an INDEP. appraiser).

Def ROUND for that setting ... keep with the organic flow

YUM!!! Great selection -- can''t wait to see more pix!
"Art Nouveau, 1880-1914: A brief movement in fine arts and architecture where the emphasis of design was on artistry. Some characteristics of this period can be seen in the use of asymmetry, curvilinear lines and organic forms."
Thanks for the info! I think all of you are right on the feeling of the design after reading up on it.
36.gif

My soon to be fiance took my setting away - he wants to make a special night of it and actually do a formal proposal. Can you believe we''ve waited 10 years to do this??(: We''ve decided to do a RB, GIA cert. jem! So... hes doing some serious research and picking the perfect one for me! Yay! I can''t wait! His timeline to me was between now and christmas...boooo! What kind of hint is that??
25.gif
haha!

I''ll post more picts after he gets on one knee! Thanks again - all of you for your FAB comments!!!!!!!!
30.gif
36.gif
9.gif
10.gif
16.gif
35.gif

cara

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring!

I really love a round in there and wouldn''t want to throw right angles from a princess center into the mix.

Of course a cert adds to the cost of the diamond - but it adds value to the transaction as well - you know what you are getting, and the seller has backup behind his description of the diamond.

I''d just procede very cautiously if you are still interested in the diamond. That is a stellar price for a 1.6ct G VS2. Do a search above and you will see that very few diamonds with those stats are available for less than $10k, and those that are have EGL certs not GIA or AGS. If either the color or the clarity is lower than claimed, that will significantly affect the value of the stone. At the very least an independent appraisal is in order, but sending it off to a lab to get certed might also be worth it if you need insurance, etc.

Otherwise buy that ring and get your own stone!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is a great setting but it cries out for a round to me, a princess is way too modern and linear to me for that gorgeous setting!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results