shape
carat
color
clarity

My Love Affair with Diamonds (a story with pictures!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

HooCares

Shiny_Rock
I thought it would be fun to tell my story, starting with my very first diamond. So here it is, complete with pictures and as much information about the stones as I know.

It all started when I saw a bezel-set diamond solitaire necklace on Gwyneth Paltrow. I was 20 years old, and I thought, I really want that necklace. So where does a 20 year old college student get a diamond solitaire necklace? She asks her Dad, of course! For my 21st birthday in 1998, he picked this one out for me (.33 ct., 14K white gold).

IMG_3806small11.jpg

HooCares

Shiny_Rock
A few months later, I decided I also wanted matching earrings. I remember telling our jeweler (a good friend of our family’s) that I wanted them to be small, “to not take away from the beauty of the necklace.” So for Christmas, my parents got me these (approximately .30 ctw., 14K white gold).

IMG_3808small.jpg

HooCares

Shiny_Rock
Fast forward a few years, during which time, I met my future husband in college. By now, I knew the very basics about diamonds, and I focused mainly on carat, clarity, and color (no one told me about the importance of cut!). I told him I preferred a round 1-1.2 ct, G, VS2, with lots of shine! I wanted to put all of our budget into the stone (so it would be the center of attention!), so I told him I liked a simple platinum 6-prong setting. We became engaged in August 2003. He proposed with this ring, and to this day, I still couldn’t be happier with it (1.2 ct., GIA graded, good/very good cut, G, VS2, platinum)!

IMG_3829small.jpg

HooCares

Shiny_Rock
I decided to have a wedding band custom made to curve around the bottom prong of my engagement ring. To ensure a snug fit, I sent my engagement ring to the designer. While my ring was absent, my mother passed down to me my great-grandmother’s engagement ring to wear in it‘s place (.90 ct. center stone--possibly OEC--14K white and yellow gold). For more information, see original thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-great-grandmothers-diamond-ring.21962/

DSCN0528smallPS.JPG

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
love your bezel set!
30.gif
and that ering is soooo huge and stunning!!!!

HooCares

Shiny_Rock
The custom wedding band came back, and turned out to be a bit of a disaster (.27 ctw., GIA graded, G, VS1, 14K white gold). Too much metal! It ends in a happy recycling project though if you care to keep reading!

IMG_0875PS.JPG

HooCares

Shiny_Rock
Soon after, I found Pricescope!!! I learned about the Memoire brand eternity band that was rumored to sit low enough as to not show an obvious gap between it and an engagement ring. After much searching, I finally found my dream wedding band at a local jewelry store. My grandfather was the last hand engraver in the area (and a very dear man), and he was able to custom engrave both my and my husband’s wedding bands, and attend our wedding in July 2004, before he passed away 6 months later. Here is the Memoire band (.33 ctw., very good cut, F-G, VS 1-2, shared prong setting, Petite Prong Collection, platinum) and some pics of my wedding set. For more information, see original thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/memoire-band-i-finally-got-it-pics-included.16679/

IMG_0938small.jpg

HooCares

Shiny_Rock
Thanks D&T! I wear a size 3 ring, which contributes significantly to my e-ring looking large! I have more to post!
1.gif

IMG_0056smallPS.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to interrupt...

but I am so happy to see you back, HC!!!! I remember your studs VERY well that I assume will be posted in a few minutes!

HooCares

Shiny_Rock
In 2006, my husband accepted a new job, which came with a nice little signing bonus, and finally enabled me to get the diamond solitaire earrings from Whiteflash that I had been lusting over (1.21 ctw, ACA, H, VS2, 18K white gold martini settings)! It was a very Merry Christmas for my ears! For more information, see original thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-wf-martini-studs.53239/

WF Pic Small4.JPG

HooCares

Shiny_Rock
Diamondseeker--WONDERFUL to see you!!! I took a break for a little while, but it''s good to be back! How are you?! You are so right about the studs, as you can see! I remember we had much in common with our diamond jewelry taste!

IMG_0748smallPS.jpg

HooCares

Shiny_Rock
In August 2007, I turned 30 years old! As a special gift, my husband gave me an Omega Constellation Mini Watch with a white mother of pearl face and diamond dial (.32 ctw. G, VVS1). A few days before my birthday, I found out I was pregnant for the first time! Several weeks later, we found out that we were expecting twins!

Omega Constellation Watch1977.gif

HooCares

Shiny_Rock

HooCares

Shiny_Rock
Unfortunately, things did not go as smoothly with my pregnancy, and our twins were born 3 ½ months premature due to pre-eclampsia. After spending 3 long months in the hospital, they finally came home to us in March 2008. By the grace of God, they are doing remarkably well today at 21 months. In honor of their homecoming, my husband gave me this custom ring from Signed Pieces (alternating blue and pink sapphires to symbolize boy-girl twins, 1.02 ctw., FACETS Heritage Collection, channel setting, platinum). I know it’s not diamonds, but it is one of my favorite pieces because it reminds me of my true “gems!”

IMG_3815small.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am just fine, thanks! And yes, we do have very similar taste in jewelry!

(ETA: wrote about the babies in my next post...didn't see the end of your story)

HooCares

Shiny_Rock
At the end of the year, our family friends decided to retire after decades of operating their jewelry shop. At their close-out sale, I chose these dangly diamond earrings for my husband to give me for Christmas. I can’t remember the specs on these, and it was just last year!

IMG_3743small.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness! Bless your heart...no wonder you weren't around for awhile! I hope your babies are doing really well now!

You've still managed to collect some nice new pieces!!! I actually had one of the diamond heritage bands sent to me one time...they are gorgeous! I didn't keep it because it didn't work with my e-ring.

HooCares

Shiny_Rock
My parents also bought several pieces, and gave me this diamond (outer edges) and pink sapphire (3 in the center) pendant necklace for Christmas.

IMG_3813small.jpg

HooCares

Shiny_Rock
They are doing well, Diamondseeker, thank you! Every day, we are amazed and inspired by them. I am glad you are doing well too! We actually started the process several months ago to adopt a baby girl from China. I remember you also adopted a daughter from China. Any words of advice, or would we have to go to another section of PS for that?!

HooCares

Shiny_Rock
In August 2009, my parents celebrated their 34th wedding anniversary. My dad decided he wanted to give my mom a pair of diamond earrings. Of course, I referred him to Whiteflash, and they ended up with these custom Diamonds By the Yard earrings (.80 ctw., ACA, F-G, VS 1-2, 2 inches long).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/14/2009 11:18:03 PM
Author: HooCares
They are doing well, Diamondseeker, thank you! Every day, we are amazed and inspired by them. I am glad you are doing well too! We actually started the process several months ago to adopt a baby girl from China. I remember you also adopted a daughter from China. Any words of advice, or would we have to go to another section of PS for that?!
Oh wow, that is fabulous news! I wish I could give you a hug! Babies certainly are a wonderful miracle and blessing both by birth and adoption!

On the Family Home and Health forum, Freke started a thread called International Adoption a few days ago. It took me a few days, but I finally came on there and wrote about my experiences. I think that would be the best place to talk about that. I have to go to bed now, but I'll check it when I get home tomorrow!!! That is one of my most favorite topics!

Here's the thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/international-adoption.126634/

HooCares

Shiny_Rock
My mom''s Diamonds By the Yard Earrings (after some technical difficulties!)...

WaneysWFEarringsPS.jpg

HooCares

Shiny_Rock
I’ve been saving up my gifts all year (5th anniversary & 32nd birthday) to receive a matching custom Diamonds By the Yard bracelet (6 10-point ACA stones, 6.5 inches long) this Christmas, which Whiteflash is currently working on. Stay tuned for pictures of it!

I am lucky to be blessed with many beautiful diamond jewelry pieces, but most of all, with a healthy and loving family. Thanks so much for reading my story! I’d love to hear yours!
1.gif

DS-Thank you for the virtual hug, and the link! I will definitely check it out sometime tomorrow! I, too, need to get to bed while I can still catch some zzz''s...

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
great collection

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results