shape
carat
color
clarity

My Harry Winston Style Solitaire

mcnyc

Rough_Rock
This month I got a new e-ring for my tenth anniversary. It's been in the works for a long time, and I got lots of help and advice from you wonderful people on PS. I was all over the place - four prongs or six, claw prongs or regular, etc etc etc. The only things I was sure about where that I wanted a platinum solitaire, and I wanted it to look good with my grandmother's wedding band.

In the end, I decided to get a custom ring made (by George Press in Livingston, NJ). Basically, I asked him to make a near replica of the classic Harry Winston solitaire, which I love.

The diamond is a round brilliant 1.71ct J VVS2 H&A

Pics!

At first I thought the shank was too thin, but now I'm really happy with it. Makes the diamond look bigger? Maybe?

I also need to take my wedding band to the jeweler and have it polished so the e-ring and wedding band age at the same rate. Right now the wedding band has a patina and the e-ring doesn't so it looks a bit odd. The jeweler also offered to alter my wedding band a bit to make it more rounded instead of domed. Think that's a good idea?

img_0684.jpeg

img_0710.jpeg

img_0629.jpeg

img_0637.jpeg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love it. Very beautiful. Huge fan of the four prong double claw solitaire. ;-) not really sure about what you mean about your wedding band though.

mcnyc

Rough_Rock
Profile shots!

I asked George to set the diamond as low as possible because I don't want it banging into things.

img_3.jpeg

img_4.jpeg

mcnyc

Rough_Rock
LLJsmom|1421611954|3818523 said:
Love it. Very beautiful. Huge fan of the four prong double claw solitaire. ;-) not really sure about what you mean about your wedding band though.

Thanks LLJsmom! I've been stalking your posts for a while, so I'm REALLY glad you approve. :D

Here's what I mean about the wedding band:

See how, instead of being completely round, it kind of squares off at the top? George suggested shaving out some of the extra metal underneath the stones and curving it so that the ring will be more of a perfect circle. It would also have the advantage of making the stones lower so the e-ring sits a bit more flush. BUT I'm nervous about altering my grandma's ring. :shock:

What do you think? Is it a good idea?

img_5.jpeg

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's got kind of a reverse euro-shank thing going on. I would be hesitant to alter it just because.... well, it's perfect as is, IMHO. Also if you make it more round it might be more likely to spin on you.

You may want to invest in a spacer band - see in the side view pics that the wedding band is right against the prongs of the basket of the e-ring? The wb will eat away at the e-ring over time. If you get a really thin spacer (1mm maybe w a knife edge, ex), as many here have, it will be practically invisible, but will put enough distance between the 2 to prevent damage.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! Happy anniversary!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful solitaire. Congrats!!!
You have made great pics by the way

mcnyc

Rough_Rock
Acinom|1421634421|3818671 said:
Beautiful solitaire. Congrats!!!
You have made great pics by the way
Thanks! I got out my big fancy camera for the occasion instead of using my iPhone.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
What a wonderful anniversary gift! That is such a classy elegant solitaire setting. You have lovely rings.

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A beautiful ring that looks lovely on. Congrats!

Diamoneecee

Rough_Rock
Happy Anniversary, gorgeous ring! I am in the process of having a 25 anniversary ring made that should be done in a month before my March anniversary date. I hope it turn out as beautiful as yours :love: .

mcnyc

Rough_Rock
Diamoneecee|1421691004|3818924 said:
Happy Anniversary, gorgeous ring! I am in the process of having a 25 anniversary ring made that should be done in a month before my March anniversary date. I hope it turn out as beautiful as yours :love: .
Can't wait to see it!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful anniversary gift. Your ring looks gorgeous on your hand.

Rena7

Shiny_Rock
Your new solitaire is lovely. Congratulations on your anniversary.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results