shape
carat
color
clarity

My handmade velvet ring box and cushion halo earrings

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one came out a little wonky in spots but at least it closes! I have to work on flattening the ribbon better. Using the lighter ribbon highlights the boo-boos.

img_8041.jpg

img_8039.jpg

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock
GlamMosher|1432377661|3880368 said:
fussykiki, I hope it's not pushing a "friendship" too far, but would you be able to post dimensions for a necklace/pendant case? I need 2 for gifts very soon, and cannot seem to get the brain to compute how to transfer this idea to a larger, rectangular shape.

How big you want it to be? I am currently on a crochet project, so will be slow in response.

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock
junebug17|1432391883|3880407 said:
This one came out a little wonky in spots but at least it closes! I have to work on flattening the ribbon better. Using the lighter ribbon highlights the boo-boos.

Wow wow wow! This one come out really nice! Lovely ring too!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Junie its TDF! I love :love: the colors! It looks as good as any MrsBox I've seen!

Kudos to all our crafty PS-ers and fussykiki for starting such a fun creative endeavor! :wavey: :wavey: :appl: :appl: :wavey:

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
junebug17 said:

Your box looks wonderful junebug17...especially with that beautiful ring!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1432391883|3880407 said:

I LOVE your homemade jewelry box Junie! :love: I love it more than the Mrs Box honestly! :appl:
Gorgeous!!!

azstonie|1432401581|3880437 said:
Junie its TDF! I love :love: the colors! It looks as good as any MrsBox I've seen!

Kudos to all our crafty PS-ers and fussykiki for starting such a fun creative endeavor! :wavey: :wavey: :appl: :appl: :wavey:

Kristie, has Bob started this project for you yet? I am going to have to live vicariously through you and Junie and the other PSers because it is not even near the top of my honey to do list. LOL. Cannot wait to see what Bob makes for you. :appl:

juniesjewelrybox.jpg

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
fussykiki|1432398856|3880431 said:
How big you want it to be? I am currently on a crochet project, so will be slow in response.

Oh that's OK, don't worry! I may have to just buy something as I need it in the next week. Thanks anyway!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks fussykiki, kristie, lovesvintage, and missy! :)) Now on to the light blue one lol - time to order more velvet ribbon.

Whoever came up with this Mrs. Box concept was definitely pretty smart, there's just something about these little things. When my daughter saw mine the first thing she said was "that's one of the most adorable things I've ever seen" lol.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know, Junie, its crazy, they are ADDICTIVE, that's why its great you can actually make yours CUSTOM :appl: :love:

Now that the instructions are fine tuned I'm going to see if I can find some velvet and ribbon before I go looking for the rest of the materials needed. My DH wants to try making it too, he loves crafts projects and he was stunned to find out what MrsBox goes for (thank you Jimmianne!!! :love: )

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock
Wow, everyone's boxes look great! I just got back from a ten-day trip, so nothing new for me. While I was on my trip, I did sneak online for a bit and found velvet ribbon on etsy, including vintage ribbon. I bought some from these two vendors:

LesBonRibbon

ShyMyrtle

I also found this vendor but didn't order anything yet:

VelvetandMetal

Hopefully I'll get the ribbon this week and will have something to add to the thread!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh thanks for the suggestions yanaazul, will check those sites out! I'm working on the light blue one, but I have to get over worrying about it being perfect - after all, it's handmade and these are just for my own use. I should have it done soon - I'm looking forward to seeing yours!

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
June bug, your boxes look great!

I've made some more. They are still a little sloppy, but I'm working on that. I also have some pink fabric.

The blue fabric turned out best. I will probably look for more fabric of that quality in another color.

_30698.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DaintyG, wow, you've been busy! They all look really good! You did a great job on them. :dance: I love the color of the center one.

The one I'm making now looks a little lop-sided for some reason :cheeky: These little things are tricky to make IMO!

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock
GlamMosher|1432377661|3880368 said:
fussykiki, I hope it's not pushing a "friendship" too far, but would you be able to post dimensions for a necklace/pendant case? I need 2 for gifts very soon, and cannot seem to get the brain to compute how to transfer this idea to a larger, rectangular shape.

I know this is too late for the gifts you were giving, but I decided to work this out... Now, the thing is, the box size is limited by the width of the ribbon, because the top of the box needs to be a seamless piece. So assuming most people are working with 1.5" ribbon (38mm), I came up with the below. If you are working with wider ribbon or bolt fabric, then you can go bigger.

Box top and bottom: 3.2mm x 5.2mm: max width is 3.2mm (to allow enough to wrap around the edge), and because I'm a nerd, I made the length the golden ratio *1.618 = 5.2mm.

Box bottom liner: total dimensions 8.6mm x 6.6mm; cut out 1.7mm squares from each corner

Box top liner: total dimensions 7.4mm x 5.4mm; cut out 1.1mm squares from each corner

Box bottom outer: total dimensions 18.4mm x 1.4mm; sections 3.6mm, 5.6mm, 3.6mm, 5.6mm

Box top outer: total dimensions 18.4mm x 1.7mm; sections 3.6mm, 5.6mm, 3.6mm, 5.6mm

Inner lid: 3.0mm x 5.0mm

And here we are! (In denim again, haha, still haven't gotten my velvet ribbon...) For reference, the pendant is 1" long.

pendantboxbottomliner.jpg

pendantboxtopliner.jpg

pendantboxouterstops.jpg

pendantboxyanaazul.jpg

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The denim boxes ROCK, I love those and would buy one! Great work! :appl:

Dainty, look at all those beautiful, rich-looking boxes! Well done, the colors are lovely :love:

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock
Thanks azstonie!

For anyone who wants try different widths x lengths -- if you have ribbon/fabric wider than 1.5", or want a different w x l ratio -- here's the math:

Choose your lid size: the original ring box was 2.8mm x 2.8mm, my rectangular version was 3.2mm x 5.2mm

The footprint of the top and bottom liners are the same as the lid, but you need to add the height of the sides:

Bottom liner: add 3.4mm (1.7mm + 1.7mm) to both width and length to accommodate cutting 1.7mm squares from each corner.

Top liner: add 2.2mm (1.1mm + 1.1mm) to both width and length to accommodate cutting 1.1mm squares from each corner.

The footprint of the outer layers are 4mm wider/longer on each side than the lid (2mm allowance on all sides): using my lid 3.2mm x 5.2mm as an example, the sections become 3.6mm / 5.6mm / 3.6mm / 5.6mm.

Bottom outer: section length as above, height 1.4mm

Top outer: section length as above, height 1.7mm

Inner lid: footprint is 2mm on each side than the lid: using my lid 3.2mm x 5.2mm, the inner is 3.0mm x 5.0mm.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Love the Earrrings! Gorgeous..wow.

Great boxes everyone. I don't think I've ever seen an incoming thread turn into a hobby - do -it-yourself thread before. LOL It's been fun watching the creations & the creative thinkers in action. :clap:

Judy

PS..I wonder if Mrs. Box is going to com out with some new radical boxes to try to trip you guys up. LOL I'm sending these instructions to my sister in law so she can get started on my Christmas & Birthday presents early. LOL I need a few. :D

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
yanaazul|1433036641|3883152 said:
I know this is too late for the gifts you were giving, but I decided to work this out... Now, the thing is, the box size is limited by the width of the ribbon, because the top of the box needs to be a seamless piece. So assuming most people are working with 1.5" ribbon (38mm), I came up with the below. If you are working with wider ribbon or bolt fabric, then you can go bigger.

Awww thank you yanaazul! It is too late for this time (I think, I need it by Thursday, hmmmm....) but thank you so much for doing this! I think I will give it a try at some stage anyway. I used to be really good at working things like this out, but my brain must be fried as I just couldn't get it too work it all out.

Now we have options! And our cases can match!

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
I have just book marked this page on my computer so i can always find it!

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock
Great job everyone! I have been busy with other projects so I Took a break from the boxes. Here are sth I made if you are interested, a crochet bunny and a sleeping bag.

2015-05-25-21-44-04_deco.jpg

20150530_182459.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fussykiki|1433080235|3883252 said:
Great job everyone! I have been busy with other projects so I Took a break from the boxes. Here are sty I made if you are interested, a crochet bunny and a sleeping bag.

Fussykiki, both of these are beautifully done! :dance: The bunny is so cute. You are very talented, no wonder your boxes look so good lol.

Yanaazul, your box is perfect! Love how smooth the fabric is and how tight all the corners are. Looks great!

Just finished this, a few things are a bit off but overall I think this is the neatest one I've done so far. I'm having a little trouble figuring out how much velvet ribbon to measure out to wrap around the box. I think the velvet was too loose on this one and so the top is lopsided; too much material. I either measure the velvet so that it's so tight I can't get it around the box after I sew it, or it's too loose.

img_8114.jpg

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, great job, Junebug! Maybe you have tried this, but I sew the first few stitches with the fabric held tightly over the box, and then I slip the box out and finish sewing.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks DaintyG, I think I tried that and was all thumbs, but now that I've done a few I might have an easier time - thanks for the suggestion, I will give it a try.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1433096938|3883345 said:
Thanks DaintyG, I think I tried that and was all thumbs, but now that I've done a few I might have an easier time - thanks for the suggestion, I will give it a try.
Your box loks great!
Yeah what I did I had the same problem. I haven't had time to work on it which is sad as I'd like to make my own for my next ring coming.

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock
Wow junebug, your box looks perfect! You could put it next to a Mrs. Box and it would fit right in, great job! Beautiful sapphire, too.

I do the same as daintyG, pull the fabric as taut as I can, pinch with my fingernails and stick a couple of stitches in. And it is hard to get it back over the box, I have to shimmy it gradually, especially because I've already put the double stick tape in the inside of the cardboard and I'm trying not to get it stuck together.

You're welcome, GlamMosher, hope to see your additions to this thread! Your kitty is beautiful, by the way. Oooh, you could get this ribbon to match:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/233269395/1-12-charcoal-gray-antique-vintage?ref=shop_home_active_3

il_221.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone is so talented, your boxes are all gorgeous!!

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock
junebug17|1433084445|3883273 said:
fussykiki|1433080235|3883252 said:
Great job everyone! I have been busy with other projects so I Took a break from the boxes. Here are sty I made if you are interested, a crochet bunny and a sleeping bag.

Fussykiki, both of these are beautifully done! :dance: The bunny is so cute. You are very talented, no wonder your boxes look so good lol.

Yanaazul, your box is perfect! Love how smooth the fabric is and how tight all the corners are. Looks great!

Just finished this, a few things are a bit off but overall I think this is the neatest one I've done so far. I'm having a little trouble figuring out how much velvet ribbon to measure out to wrap around the box. I think the velvet was too loose on this one and so the top is lopsided; too much material. I either measure the velvet so that it's so tight I can't get it around the box after I sew it, or it's too loose.

Wow... Junebug, that's Mrs. Box quality! And I love your ring! Any closeup?

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Junebug, Your ring box looks AMAZING!!!!!! WOW!

FussyKiki, You are so talented!!! Thank you for taking the time to help everyone making the boxes. Everything you make looks beautiful.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Junie, it looks exactly like MrsBox, you've mastered it! :appl: :love:

Fussykiki, the rabbit and sleeping bag are completely adorable!! You are so talented :wavey: :love: :appl:

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
yanaazul|1433099312|3883362 said:
You're welcome, GlamMosher, hope to see your additions to this thread! Your kitty is beautiful, by the way. Oooh, you could get this ribbon to match:

It will be a little while as I am off to the UK this week for a holiday (I am in Australia).

My kitty is a very naughty boy though with craft things! I used to make a lot of teddy bears (now just make the odd one for friends or family) but he goes crazy for the fur and the stuffing which is Australian wool. He steals it and hides. I have to keep it all locked in a cupboard until I need it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results