shape
carat
color
clarity

My handmade velvet ring box and cushion halo earrings

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
LuckyKelleyK|1431908574|3877898 said:
My velvet ribbon arrived! It's very nice for the price and I love the bright colors. Soft, but definitely not mrs box quality.

Your ribbon colors look so beautiful. Hope to see you posting your boxes soon! :)

wizardman123

Rough_Rock
Hello!

Beautiful boxes everyone.

I am looking into gathering the necessary materials to start making my own!

Just a quick question for you all - does all velvet ribbon have the "textured lined" pattern on it? I see many velvet ribbons online but they do not seem to have the same effect in their picture. The blue and purple ribbons posted earlier in this thread also do not appear to have this texture.

Can you please let me know! Thanks!

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock
wizardman123|1431972823|3878105 said:
Hello!

Just a quick question for you all - does all velvet ribbon have the "textured lined" pattern on it? I see many velvet ribbons online but they do not seem to have the same effect in their picture. The blue and purple ribbons posted earlier in this thread also do not appear to have this texture.

Do you mean the velvet ribbon or the grosgrain ribbon? The velvet ribbon should have a smooth surface.

wizardman123

Rough_Rock
fussykiki|1431997637|3878268 said:
wizardman123|1431972823|3878105 said:
Hello!

Do you mean the velvet ribbon or the grosgrain ribbon? The velvet ribbon should have a smooth surface.

Hello fussykiki,

It appears I missed that you needed the two types of ribbon. I didnt see grosgrain mentioned in the tutorial.

Thanks so much for the clarification!

puppyguts

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Junebug - i ended up using dish washing sponge, which was too thin so i hot glued a double layer. I think it was easy to work with because it was so soft & ended up fitting well.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
puppyguts|1432063735|3878612 said:
Thanks Junebug - i ended up using dish washing sponge, which was too thin so i hot glued a double layer. I think it was easy to work with because it was so soft & ended up fitting well.

Ah, ok puppy guts, thanks, that's a good idea - I need to get thinner sponge so I can layer it, will be easier - I was doing the opposite, using sponges that were too high, and I was having a hard time cutting them to be thinner.

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
I really like everyone's boxes!

Here is my attempt. I also ended up having my ring sticking up a little far.

Junebug, I love the ring in your avatar! Is there a thread for it?

_30388.jpg

_30389.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DaintyG, that came out really great! :appl: The way you did your sponge looks really good, I need to work on that.

Thanks so much for the compliment on the ring! I haven't done a thread on it yet, it's from DBL

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
Here is my sis's box that is made from silk ribbon in her favorite color of purple (lined with cotton batting)! :) It is going to be her birthday gift from me, as well as the vintage amethyst ring in the box. I bought this ribbon by mistake thinking it was going to be silk velvet ribbon when searching for it on Britex when I was tired. I did find silk velvet ribbon to make another 4 x 4 cm box. The silk velvet ribbon itself is nice, but still not as plush as the velvet fabric though. Also a comparison shot of size between the two boxes below.

Junebug17...love your new ring in your pic! Gorgeous!!!

img_20150520_034127_2.jpg

img_20150520_034032_2.jpg

img_20150520_033829_2.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so impressed by the amazing ring boxes PSers are making! Beautiful boxes everyone. :love: :appl:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
_lovesvintage_|1432112447|3878917 said:
Here is my sis's box that is made from silk ribbon in her favorite color of purple (lined with cotton batting)! :) It is going to be her birthday gift from me, as well as the vintage amethyst ring in the box. I bought this ribbon by mistake thinking it was going to be silk velvet ribbon when searching for it on Britex when I was tired. I did find silk velvet ribbon to make another 4 x 4 cm box. The silk velvet ribbon itself is nice, but still not as plush as the velvet fabric though. Also a comparison shot of size between the two boxes below.

Junebug17...love your new ring in your pic! Gorgeous!!!

Wow, terrific job on the box loves vintage, it looks fantastic! Such a beautiful job on the embroidery, I didn't even attempt it. Your sister is going to be blown away. And that ring is gorgeous!!! :love: I like how the ring sits in the box, that looks perfect. I redid mine and made it 1.5 cm deep, but I think I'm going to make it a little deeper on the next one I do.

I ordered a few colors from Britex, I hope they come today. In the meantime I'm doing all the measuring and cutting. I'm going to work on them over the weekend - I'm somewhat obsessed with making these :oops:

Oh, and thanks for the nice words on my ring! :))

ribb-velv-623-pnk.jpg

ribb-velv-713-blu.jpg

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
junebug17 said:
Wow, terrific job on the box loves vintage, it looks fantastic! Such a beautiful job on the embroidery, I didn't even attempt it. Your sister is going to be blown away. And that ring is gorgeous!!! :love: I like how the ring sits in the box, that looks perfect. I redid mine and made it 1.5 cm deep, but I think I'm going to make it a little deeper on the next one I do.

I ordered a few colors from Britex, I hope they come today. In the meantime I'm doing all the measuring and cutting. I'm going to work on them over the weekend - I'm somewhat obsessed with making these :oops:

Junebug17, just to let you know, I used yanaazul's dimensions for the bottom liner of 6.4 x 6.4 cm to get a 1.8 cm sides so the lid would stay on better. I still used fussikiki's top liner instructions for 5 x 5 cm to get 1.1 cm sides.

Lovely ribbon choices! Working with ribbon is definitely a lot easier. I am having fun making these, but still can't seem to get the glue gun part perfect...I have to take time after it dries to scrape off some of it. I try to minimize it, of course, but it enevitibly happens.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
_lovesvintage_|1432163007|3879320 said:
junebug17 said:

Junebug17, just to let you know, I used yanaazul's dimensions for the bottom liner of 6.4 x 6.4 cm to get a 1.8 cm sides so the lid would stay on better. I still used fussikiki's top liner instructions for 5 x 5 cm to get 1.1 cm sides.

Lovely ribbon choices! Working with ribbon is definitely a lot easier. I am having fun making these, but still can't seem to get the glue gun part perfect...I have to take time after it dries to scrape off some of it. I try to minimize it, of course, but it inevitably happens.

Thanks lovesvintage! I'll use those measurements this time around.

Omygosh, you should have seen the mess I made with that glue gun lol! It ended up everywhere, including my clothes. I think it's pretty hard to control where the glue goes.

The velvet came today - let's just say it's much darker than the pics :wall: Which would be ok, but I ordered light pink ribbon to use with it, grr. I guess I'll just use it anyway.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dainty and lovesvintage, your boxes look great! So impressed :appl: :appl: :appl: Junie, your first box is beautiful too!!

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock
junebug17|1432172432|3879397 said:
_lovesvintage_|1432163007|3879320 said:
junebug17 said:

Lovely ribbon choices! Working with ribbon is definitely a lot easier. I am having fun making these, but still can't seem to get the glue gun part perfect...I have to take time after it dries to scrape off some of it. I try to minimize it, of course, but it inevitably happens.

Thanks lovesvintage! I'll use those measurements this time around.

Omygosh, you should have seen the mess I made with that glue gun lol! It ended up everywhere, including my clothes. I think it's pretty hard to control where the glue goes.

The velvet came today - let's just say it's much darker than the pics :wall: Which would be ok, but I ordered light pink ribbon to use with it, grr. I guess I'll just use it anyway.

Using ribbons in two different shades will come out really nice. For my purple box, the grosgrain ribbon is actually light pink because i couldn't find light purple grosgrain ribbon in the shop. I am sure your boxes will come out really nice!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fussykiki|1432174224|3879417 said:
ribbons in two different shades will come out really nice. For my purple box, the grosgrain ribbon is actually light pink because i couldn't find light purple grosgrain ribbon in the shop. I am sure your boxes will come out really nice!

Thanks fussykiki, you've made me feel better! I went back and looked at your box and it does look beautiful! :love: It's hard sometimes finding a matching colored ribbon for the velvet.

LuckyKelleyK

Shiny_Rock
I may have missed this somewhere, but where are you guys hot gluing the inner boxes to secure to the outer boxes?

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol fussykiki! Yours are prettier.

Kelley, I've been putting the glue on the inner boxes and then putting the top and bottom onto that.

LuckyKelleyK

Shiny_Rock
junebug17|1432219012|3879603 said:
Lol fussykiki! Yours are prettier.

Kelley, I've been putting the glue on the inner boxes and then putting the top and bottom onto that.

So when you put the top and bottom on the sides don't slip up and down? I haven't gotten to that part yet.

lilsweetie

Rough_Rock
Aww there is no more link to your blog / tutorial.
:(

LuckyKelleyK

Shiny_Rock
Here is my practice box, I learned a lot from this one. Will probably re do the sponge, I kind of rushed it and haven't figured out the best way. Will be practicing my embroidery for the next one. Sorry they uploaded sideways. Eta I made this from a mac n cheese box haha.

_30427.jpg

_30428.jpg

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
LuckyKelleyK said:
Here is my practice box, I learned a lot from this one. Will probably re do the sponge, I kind of rushed it and haven't figured out the best way. Will be practicing my embroidery for the next one. Sorry they uploaded sideways. Eta I made this from a mac n cheese box haha.

Awesome practice box! That ribbon color looks gorgeous. I definitely learned a lot from mine too...and still learning and perfecting my technique. I have finally gotten the grosgrain ribbon to look right without the extra overlap. Isn't it fun that we can transform a household item staple into one of these beautiful little boxes? :)

LuckyKelleyK

Shiny_Rock
_lovesvintage_|1432237057|3879798 said:
LuckyKelleyK said:

Awesome practice box! That ribbon color looks gorgeous. I definitely learned a lot from mine too...and still learning and perfecting my technique. I have finally gotten the grosgrain ribbon to look right without the extra overlap. Isn't it fun that we can transform a household item staple into one of these beautiful little boxes? :)
Thank you! My biggest challenge has honestly been dealing with the double sided tape. It's a pain in the butt! And it messed up my scissors so now I cut it sideways with a box cutter.

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
LuckyKelleyK|1432238515|3879809 said:
LuckyKelleyK said:

Thank you! My biggest challenge has honestly been dealing with the double sided tape. It's a pain in the butt! And it messed up my scissors so now I cut it sideways with a box cutter.

Do you have rubbing alcohol? You can use that to clean your scissors...I need to do that too, in fact, before I continue...blades are way too sticky.

LuckyKelleyK

Shiny_Rock
_lovesvintage_|1432238798|3879812 said:
LuckyKelleyK|1432238515|3879809 said:
LuckyKelleyK said:

Do you have rubbing alcohol? You can use that to clean your scissors...I need to do that too, in fact, before I continue...blades are way too sticky.

yes, good idea. I was able to clean it off but still seems to have a residue. Alcohol wipes will work!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
These are all wonderful!! Thanks for the tutorial fussykiki!!!

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock
lilsweetie|1432220707|3879620 said:
Aww there is no more link to your blog / tutorial.
:(

It is at page 3 now..

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LuckyKelleyK|1432230362|3879729 said:

It came out really well LuckeyKelley!!! :appl: You did a really good job on it, looks great. I love the color. I'm finding the sponge a little tricky to do myself.

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
fussykiki, I hope it's not pushing a "friendship" too far, but would you be able to post dimensions for a necklace/pendant case? I need 2 for gifts very soon, and cannot seem to get the brain to compute how to transfer this idea to a larger, rectangular shape.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results