shape
carat
color
clarity

My great-grandmother''s engagement ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Warning: sentimental post ahead!
1.gif

I never knew my great-grandmother because she died very young, but I was very close to my grandmother who passed away this past July. As long as I''ve been alive, my grandmother wore her mother''s engagement ring on her right hand, so that is what I am now doing with the ring.

I have no idea about the specs--I plan on having it appraised eventually. I am not sure how much I like the basket--it''s very thick and heavy and looks like it blocks a fair amount of light from getting into the stone (or maybe the stone itself is just not very good and rather dark?). The claws are quite massive, and the way it is set makes it look from far away that it is a square cut and not a round. It has a total of six side stones, three on either side, and very small etchings on the sides.

Even though it isn''t my normal style, I love it very much. I love that I have a piece of my family heritage on my finger now, and I don''t think I will change anything about it. Part of the reason I love it is that it is the same ring that my grandmother wore as long as I knew her. She was one of my best friends and I miss her dearly, but I love having a bit of her with me all the time.
1.gif

Anyway! Sorry for the monologue, here are the pics! I wish I had more info on it to share with y''all!

Don''t mind the ring guard--my grandmother had it put on and the ring fits me with it on, so I''m just going to use hers, even though it looks a bit beaten up.

DSC03252.jpg

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
My camera doesn''t have a macro setting, so I''m doing the best I can. These were taken on my knee. Those are my favourite pj pants the ring is sitting on!

DSC0324112309810498.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, beautiful! What a treasure!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for looking and commenting, Skippy!! You are such a sweetheart.
1.gif

Almost done...

DSC03209239487.jpg

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
I think that''s probably it! I know it isn''t much compared to some of the a-MA-zing rings here, but it is very special to me and I wanted to share it with everyone. If the sun ever shines again, I will try to take some pictures to show off the fire this little guy shoots off now and then.

Thank you for looking!
9.gif

DSC03164987239487.jpg

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2007 3:21:27 PM
Author: gwendolyn
I think that''s probably it! I know it isn''t much compared to some of the a-MA-zing rings here, but it is very special to me and I wanted to share it with everyone. If the sun ever shines again, I will try to take some pictures to show off the fire this little guy shoots off now and then.

Thank you for looking!
9.gif

It''s a lovely ring, and a lovely story! A ring that is passed down the family line is a treasure!
28.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
What a wonderful keepsake. I''m glad you''re keeping it as is. Wear it in good health.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love your GG''s ring, Gwendolyn! Very beautiful, and sweet that it''s a family heirloom.

I''m so sorry that your Grandmother passed away so recently, but now you have something that will always remind you of her.

I, too, wear my great-grandmother''s ring on my right hand, and I find it to be extremely settling when I''m just missing home and family. It''s also in kind of a bulky setting, and I don''t think it lets a lot of the light in, but I love the ring, and will never change anything about it. I also never knew my GG, but the tradition has been that the oldest grand-daughter gets the ring when they''re 18, or when they finish college, which was the case for me.

Again, love the story and I love the ring, too!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a beautiful ring that you will certainly treasure for years to come.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Your great-grandmother''s ring is so pretty! It is so nice to have rings from familiy members, especially from people that were dear to us.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
It is wonderful to have a momento to remind us of loved ones..and to have a ring you saw on grandma all the time, I don''t think there is something better.
Wear it in good health and cherish her memories always!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a special piece of jewelry! Really lovely!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
It must be wonderful to have such an heirloom!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
You all are very sweet. Thank you so much for your warm, thoughtful comments! This place is the best.
36.gif
9.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a treasure! It''s very pretty and the sentiment behind it is just wonderful. Congratulations on having such a family heirloom!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a very pretty ring with alot of special meaning to you, you are lucky to have it, I have nothing from my Grandmother
8.gif

susi

Shiny_Rock
gwendolyn, what a fabulous gift to you of your great grandmothers ring.....you''re the third generation to treasure it.

I have my grandmother''s diamond which was also worn by my mother and now, of course, me. It means so much so I kind of know how you feel.

Your ring is lovely and oh so precious.

Alleyoop

Rough_Rock
Qwendolyn,

OMG! I think that I have the wedding band that matches your g-ma''s ring. When I first got married we didn''t have much money for a wedding band, so I picked up this little white gold band from a pawn shop (romantic, I know) that kind of matched the look of my family hierloom ER. I swear, it might be the matching band to your ring. It has the same knife-edge band, same little circles on the sides. The only difference is that every other diamond just has a flat square, instead of being drilled out for the stone. It is too late to take pics of it today, but I will post some tommorrow if you would like to see it.

Yours is a beautiful ring! I nearly spit my beer all over the keyboard in shock when I saw it.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2007 9:59:51 PM
Author: Alleyoop
Qwendolyn,

OMG! I think that I have the wedding band that matches your g-ma''s ring. When I first got married we didn''t have much money for a wedding band, so I picked up this little white gold band from a pawn shop (romantic, I know) that kind of matched the look of my family hierloom ER. I swear, it might be the matching band to your ring. It has the same knife-edge band, same little circles on the sides. The only difference is that every other diamond just has a flat square, instead of being drilled out for the stone. It is too late to take pics of it today, but I will post some tommorrow if you would like to see it.

Yours is a beautiful ring! I nearly spit my beer all over the keyboard in shock when I saw it.
Wow, seriously?!
23.gif

Yes, please take photos when you get a chance! I would love to see it!
9.gif

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring is beautiful and in such great shape. I love the diamond. It is so sparkly. What a treasure!

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring is beautiful! I never knew either of my grandmothers; both passed away before my parents even met. And we certainly never inherited anything from them. So I was very happy to inherit my DH''s grandma''s ring, and as you say, even if it''s not the style we would have bought, it''s very special to have it. Yours is very classic, and I actually love it when the head makes a round stone look more square. It is very pretty!!

jfo

Brilliant_Rock
It''s beautiful! I love sentimental pieces, and it really is in great shape!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results