shape
carat
color
clarity

My Engament Ring... Emerald and Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Atauba

Rough_Rock
Hi Everybody,

This is my new engagement ring: an emerald-cut emerald flanked by baguette diamonds. I just got it last week during a surprise proposal, and I love it!!! My fiance had it custom-made in Colombia, where he's from, and we choose an emerald both for his country heritage and for my birth month, May.
Tell me what you think!

Also, the family members who handled the transaction in Colombia used a family jeweler and did not get an appraisal. For safety reasons, we were considering getting one here in the US, but we understand not every jeweler can appraise emeralds. Would you have any suggestions for an emerald appraiser we could visit either in Boston or in New York City? How much should an appraisal such as this cost?

Looking forward to your comments,
A

WebFlowersRing003.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring! I love the color of your emerald, it''s gorgeous. The setting is lovely as well, very classic. You can find ps recommended appraisers by going to the resources tab, appraisals, etc... You can call them and ask they the extent of their knowledge of colored stones, or maybe another pricescoper knows a good one for colored gemstones in NY.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi Atauba!

I can''t help you with your appraisal question, but I can say that your ring is just beautiful, and that emerald is gorgeous!!!!
30.gif

Congratulations on your engagement!

widget

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a gorgeous emerald. Your ring is just stunning. Congrats on your engagement!!!
30.gif
36.gif

bae7

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations - both on the engagement and on the ring!! I love the reasoning behind the emerald - a nice romantic touch! :)

tanuki

Shiny_Rock
When I was too young to afford any real jewelry I used to go to a shop called Columbian Emeralds and wish I could afford one.
Your emerald engagement ring is beautiful.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely color.

Richard Sherwood is very good with colored stones, but you would have to ship to Florida.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I love this beautiful ring....so perfect....so classic and yet so unique.....

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~I love it!!! It''s very beautiful and unique!!
30.gif

findarock

Shiny_Rock
Nice Ring, I am looking at getting a ring for the future, Mrs. Does the place that you got the ring from have an online presence?
To answer your questions, PS has some great resources. You may also want to understand the insurance for the ring.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Atauba, it''s just beautiful! When I met my now-husband, I told him I would love to have an emerald engagement ring! You just don''t see them that often, and I love emeralds. (It''s my birthstone as well!) I did end up getting a diamond for an e-ring and am very happy with it, so now I''m campaigning for an emerald right-hand ring for my 30th b-day! Congratulations on your engagement!
36.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations! Your ring is very pretty. My mom has tons of Colombian emeralds. What city is your FI from?

Atauba

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all your wonderful comments! And for your suggestions on finding an appraiser. I''ll follow up on the leads you''ve given me and report back.

Findarock- My fiance went with an independent craftsman. No website.

Tacori- My fiance is from Medellin.

-A
1.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Atauba

Beautiful ring, I love emeralds too and have a ring I love with one also.

As your emerald was bought from an inside source, does it show any jardin or did you manage to get one without? I think there is rarely such a thing though.

LdyNghtWng

Rough_Rock
How nice to have found a stone that has special meaning for both of you, and what a lovely ring you have! That green is so soothing!

A note of caution though for you and others considering a future emerald ring: Emerald engagement rings are not for everyone. Emeralds are simply far more delicate than diamonds, or sapphires/rubies. They require gentle cleaning (don''t even think of ultrasound or harsh commercial jewelry cleansers) and in daily wear can chip or crack. So don''t wear your beautiful emerald while doing housework, yard work or athletics. Treat it as the princess it is!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful ring--congratulations!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful classic design! Congratulations! (Emeralds can get scratched or chipped - be careful with it.)

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful engagement ring! I love the way itis set, very elegant. Enjoy it!

Atauba

Rough_Rock
Thanks, everyone, for your wonderful comments and kind thoughts. You really know how to make a girl feel special, and that's on top of my already feeling special because my boyfriend and I are now engaged!!!
36.gif

In response to Pyramid, I believe my emerald does have some jardin but (at least to my untrained eye) it appears to less than usual.

As LadyNightWng and MadamBijoux suggested, I am very concerned about chipping and scratching. It's the only low side to my ring. I am, however, learning to careful with my left hand and I do take the ring off for exercise and strenous activity, and when I go to bed. The appraisal and insurance should also help me worry less.

With that in mind, though, my fiance suggested an emerald eternity ring for my wedding band. I was original opposed to the idea due to the brittleness factor, but I do think it would look beautiful. What do you think? Would we be completely nuts to consider this?

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Love your ring! I have an emerald that I chipped a little, so I would echo the other comments. Then again my mother wears her emerald almost daily, its surrounded by diamonds to protect it though - haha. I think maybe a diamond eternity band would be nice because then you could wear it without worry, but an emerald one would be beautiful too.

Congratulations! What a romantic ring and story!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not think you should go for an emerald eternity band for your wedding ring if you mean a full eternity band, not sure about half eternity though. I have read people speak about diamond full eternity bands how the diamonds on the underside get damaged from picking things up, banging hands down on desks etc. so I would think emerald would not be a good choice for that.

As regards to damage to your emerald I would be more worried about the chipping than the scratching, because if a gemstone is scratched it can be repolished without much weight loss. You would not be repolishing it for every scratch but you could get it done say every 7 to 10 years or so.

jfo

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful ring... that emerald is a beautiful color!! Congratulations!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results