shape
carat
color
clarity

My dream studs: WF set my 2.5ctw OECS!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are my dream earrings in every way - 2.5ctw K/L OECs in custom plat settings :bigsmile:

DH was impressed by how long I waited for them - I'm more the instant gratification sort and these lil' guys have been a loooong time coming ::) About a year and a half ago I started searching for promising stones and I got the first one right away, but it took another six months to find its mate:

J.OECs.2.png

- - - - - - - - - - - -

J.OECs.6.png

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some odd folk on here might enjoy playing with loose stones but I like *wearing* mine :devil: I so-very-patiently waited until we moved cross-country and got settled in, then I had them set them in the same Stuller eight-prong stock setting that had worked so perfectly for my old 1ctw OECs. Loved the stones, loved the idea of the settings, the reality doesn't work so well for larger old cuts though - for the bigger diameter they're designed for stones with a whole lot more on the bottom than mine have! I hardly ever wore them, told DH I was thinking about selling them, he suggested getting them set properly and seeing how I felt...

Hot -

b_1_0.png

- - - - - - - - - - - -

C_1.png

But...

stockissue_0.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I did ::) Sheerah and Vera at WF were wonderful to work with, as always! Since the stones are a bit wonky and asymmetric they recommended a fully custom job to ensure each setting fit each stone perfectly. We wound up going with platinum, I was concerned about the weight but decided that with stones as "low" as possible and larger bases it'd work out okay. I loved the engraving WF did on my mum's ring and requested something similar, and I loved the bit of glitter it added from the side but with the extra thickness they sat higher on the ears than I really wanted, and I figured how they looked and felt on was probably more important... so with tail between my legs I emailed Vera again to ask what could be done. Leon suggested shaving the bases and now they're just perfect :bigsmile:

yssie-engraved-1.png

- - - - - - - - - - - -

yssie-wffinal-a.png

- - - - - - - - - - - -

yssie-wffinal-b.png

- - - - - - - - - - - -

yssie-wffinal-c.png

- - - - - - - - - - - -

yssie-wffinal-d.png

I wanted slightly thicker than normal posts and Sheerah recommended "jumbo" backs. I was shocked when I first opened the box - these things are seriously GIGANTIC. I knew I didn't have the most petite lobes around but even then I thought *no way* these don't show from the front.... well, they aren't. Visible, that is. At all. Proof that I really do have elephant ears :-o :nono: well, well decorated elephant ears, now :praise:

yssie-wffinal-backs.png

- - - - - - - - - - - -

yssie-wffinal-onear1.png

- - - - - - - - - - - -

yssie-wffinal-onear2.png

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous!!! simply gorgeous!! what a beautiful custom basket setting WF created - love those prongs and the almost 'crown-like' profile! They are just spectacular Yssie!!! Enjoy and wear in good health and happiness!!!!

Beautiful! :love: :appl: :love:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
They are stunning! Well worth the wait and I'm duly impressed with your patience!! Glad that you persevered and ended up with earrings that you love. Well done!

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Oh. My. Gosh. :o

The OECs are beautiful, I love the chunky facets and culets. The new settings are perfect with the OECs, I love how the diamonds look like they are sitting on little crowns. :love: :love: :love:

Congratulations on your absolutely stunning and HUGE earrings! :appl:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love them!! So much nicer than the original 8 prongs from the profile view.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my yssie, these truly are perfect - gorgeous stones that are a joy to look at, and those are the prettiest stud settings I've ever seen - they look amazing on you! Congrats and enjoy!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow!!! Those are indeed perfect in every way. :love: :appl: :love: :appl:

stci

Ideal_Rock
I have difficulties to find the good words to descrive your treasure! Gorgeous gorgeous and more... :love: :love:

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, fabulous earrings! Love the settings and they look perfect in your ears!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YOWSA!! Gracious Yassie....those are fabulous! Congratulations! :love: :love: :love: :mrgreen:

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seriously beautiful studs!!! They look like delicate little crowns holding your OEC's!

Do you have a side profile to see how high the studs sit off of your earlobes? Also, the jumbo backs from the rear view?

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
As a fellow 8-prong lover, you know I LOVE these Yssie!!! :love: :love: :love: :love: They look perfect with your OECs and what a great size for studs! :love: :lickout: :loopy: :love: The custom settings were definitely a better choice than the stock settings :appl: GORGEOUS!

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Wow!!! Yssie, they're beyond beautiful and look amazing on you!
Definitely commend you on your patience! Enjoy!!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are simply gorgeous! You couldn't have asked for better size for your ears - I can see why you think they're perfect in every way! I love the settings too - you stick to it until you get it perfect! Amazingly beautiful Yssie - enjoy!!

GingerKaBluey

Rough_Rock
Wow those are beautiful stones and the custom settings are perfect for them!! I love how they sit on your lobes. I hate when earrings stick out a lot from the lobes. The size looks perfect for you too! Congratulations and I always love your detailed posts! :)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi Thank you! It would've been a lot easier if they'd fit well in stock settings but I really love the antique-y crowns, so I can justify custom okay ::)

yenny Thank you, I am too!!

armywife Eeep thank you! One of these has a just-this-side-of-centered culet too - so one more for that party :bigsmile:
Honestly I'm still getting used to the *randomness*, they aren't predictable like my RBs and sometimes I love that, other times it drives me a bit nutty... but yeah, um, you already know all about charmingly wonky old cuts!

Laila They really are! They're so much more comfortable, too, they seem to weigh so much less now that they're "lower" on the ears even though they're in plat instead of 14k.

june I'm very lucky to have them :)) and I'm very excited about actually wearing them!

Thank you, Rosebloom, stci, alene, Mayk, mimi!!

mom2boys I managed the one, this is the best I could do with the other I'm afraid! It's *hard* to take pics of the backside of one's ear, who knew :rodent: They're exactly 10mm wide, just regular butterfly backs with slightly larger holes to allow for the slightly thicker posts. I don't know if that'd be the same with LaPousettes..?

side1.png

madelise Yeah, I think I made the right call having them shave the bases, ultimately - they're so comfortable on, I don't even remember them after a bit!

stargurl Thank you! Oh, don't I know it :naughty: we're One&Done with these eight prong styles! The thing is that I really do love the "stock" eight prong martini - if they'd fit better I'd have been perfectly happy! And they fit my old 1ctw OECs just fine...

wd Thank you!! Seriously, long time coming - I think I was blithering about these back at the GTG last year?!

MGR Thank you, they are! And I know I'm lucky to have found a handful of vendors willing to deal with me :devil:

FK Hmm. A couple of honkers like yours would probably look "big" in my ears ...

Ginger Thank you, and welcome to PS! The stick-outedness was definitely my biggest complaint, so I'm very happy to have that resolved!

Thank you anne and bright ice!! :))

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie!!! I love them!!!

They look fantastic. You probably will not remember but about 2 years ago I purchased the "vanilla twins" - a pair of ~6mm OEC studs. They were in a beautiful antique RG 6 prong setting but I had been toying with resetting them in white metal. Well - you have saved me a heap of research, because your setting is PERFECT! Mine have the same "crown"-type basket but 6 prongs and sit a bit higher (higher than I'd like). This is exactly what I was looking for!

May I ask, was there much difference between the price for WG and plat?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful! I love the settings as well.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pancake|1349047619|3277072 said:
Yssie!!! I love them!!!

They look fantastic. You probably will not remember but about 2 years ago I purchased the "vanilla twins" - a pair of ~6mm OEC studs. They were in a beautiful antique RG 6 prong setting but I had been toying with resetting them in white metal. Well - you have saved me a heap of research, because your setting is PERFECT! Mine have the same "crown"-type basket but 6 prongs and sit a bit higher (higher than I'd like). This is exactly what I was looking for!

May I ask, was there much difference between the price for WG and plat?

Are you kidding?? Of course I remember the vanilla twins - they are GORGEOUS!! I spent ages drooling over them - they were the first larger OEC studs I'd seen "IRL" and they made me want big OEC studs oh. so. badly. :Up_to_something:

I dug through my emails and my quote for 18k was just south of 1500 in June, plat (I don't know what alloy(s)) was $400 more, but that was for fully custom settings with CADs - I'm thinking that might not be necessary for stones that are better calibrated/more symmetric than mine..? It's really such a basic common design, the problem was perfectly fitting the wonky stones!

I originally wanted unplated 18k palladium-wg but I was told that while they could cast the head in whatever metal I wanted, the posts and backs aren't cast (casting isn't strong enough) and the only wg post/back metal option was standard 18k nickel-wg, which they could plate or not. I didn't want plated wg but I wanted *white* settings, and I wanted the whole thing in the same metal, and they had advised against palladium so plat was kinda the last man standing..

And oh, thank you! ::)

Thank you Tacori!!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, those are really beautiful Yssie! I love the setting, just perfect. I don't know what you are talking about 'elephant ears' because
I think you have lovely ears and those gorgeous studs look beautiful on you. Perfect setting, perfect stones, and perfect size. They are
definitely worth waiting for!

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for all that info, Yssie! I will have to go fully custom for the VTs too - they are older OECs than yours from the looks of the cut, and as such are a bit wonky too.

I might talk to BGD as I have a credit note to use with them, but I think the design that WF helped make is beautiful! Enjoy wearing them - I wear the VTs around the clock and just love them. I hope you get the same pleasure out of wearing your gorgeous studs!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're very sweet luv2sparkle :)) I grin like a loon every time I put them on. My "dream collection" has always been three pieces - a beautiful ring, a pair of phenomenal earrings, and a bracelet, and now my dream collection is complete ::)

pancake no problem! I guess it just depends on how picky you are about the fit - it was my top priority so not going custom wasn't really an option, but for someone with different priorities stock or semi-custom would be a lot easier and a lot less pricey!
Keep us posted on what you decide on!! You can't really go wrong - the VTs would be lovely taped to your ear, so.. :sun:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie, that is a REALLY helpful ear shot!! I can imagine that must have been quite the challenge, but it really helps visualize how what looks like a super huge tension back, really looks 'NORMAL', on your ear! Cool shot!

.... and, as if you need reminding, those are UBER Gorgeous!!! :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results