shape
carat
color
clarity

My Antique Ring Collection

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone. I''ve just gotten ahold of a cable for my camera, so I was able to download some pictures of some of my antique rings to share with you all. I''ve so enjoyed seeing everyone else''s beautiful things, so I''m excited to get to share some of my things with you. Most of these are from my grandmother or great grandmother. Sadly, I never got to know either of them, but these pieces were passed down to me through my mother. I don''t know how to put them all in one post, so you''ll have to bear with me as I post them. There are a bunch of pics, I hope you don''t mind!

This first one is one of my favorites. All I know is that it''s an aquamarine with a milgrain bezel and rose and yellow gold accents. Not sure if it''s white gold or platinum.

AntiqueRings 004small.JPG

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
And this one seems to be an alexandrite set in yellow gold with two white gold hearts on either side. The pics don''t really capture the right color outside. It changes from a steel green/blue/purple color outside, to a bright fushia/violet color inside.

AntiqueRings 018small.JPG

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
And this one really does seem to capture the indoor color...it really glows! :)

AntiqueRings 047small.JPG

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Now for the stuff I know you''re really interested in...the diamonds! This one seems to be about an H color, probably a transitional cut, and about .4 carats. If anyone has any better ideas about what any of these are...I''d love to hear!

AntiqueRings 030small.JPG

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
And my favorite view of this ring - the side with all the intricate filigree work.

AntiqueRings 029small.JPG

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, I hope I''m not overloading you all with pics, but here''s one more ring that I absolutely LOVE. It''s two tiny OECs (my guess is H-I color) set in platinum. It belonged to my great grandmother on my mom''s side.

AntiqueRings 040small.JPG

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
And here''s a close-up of the stones...I love how you can see the open culets even though the stones are small.

AntiqueRings 039small.JPG

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, that''s it! I hope I didn''t bore you guys with too many photos! I was just so excited to get some decent pics of my antique rings. And I''ve seen a bunch of antique cut lovers on the site recently, so I just had to share!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
wow! what a collection~ thanks for sharing!

btw- what type of camera did you use?

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, jcrow! I have a Canon Powershot SD300. I really like it, but I''m still learning how to use it.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2006 5:42:49 PM
Author: FacetFire
And here''s a close-up of the stones...I love how you can see the open culets even though the stones are small.
I love the two sizes of culet! Do the diamonds perform differently?? That alexandrite reminds me of a ring I got from my mom...

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a drop dead GORGEOUS collection! I can hardly pic a favorite!!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2006 5:56:01 PM
Author: FacetFire
Thanks, jcrow! I have a Canon Powershot SD300. I really like it, but I''m still learning how to use it.

no problem! it takes great shots! i asked because i''m in the market for a new canon!

widget

Ideal_Rock
23.gif
30.gif
Wow...what a wonderful collection!! And all the better that they''re all family heirlooms!

I can''t pick a fav either...they''re all wonderful. OK...I guess I most love the aqua ring and the twostone diamond one.

Your picture taking is just great! love how you''ve captured the colored stones, especially the color change in the alex....

YUM YUM YUM!
18.gif

widget

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
Yummy!!! I love antique rings...those are beautiful. I''m sorry I can''t help you out with the details, but they''re gorgeous!

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Amazing. That alexandrite is truly amazing. Love the aqua too. And the last one (2 OECs) is scrumptious. Thank you for posting!
21.gif

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
FacetFire, your rings are magnificent but my favourite is your great grand-ma''s 2-stone diamond ring. That is a beautiful ring. You''re a lucky girl to have so many sentimental inherited pieces!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
FacetFire, your antique rings are absolutely gorgeous, but I was waiting to see that RA you had as an avatar set in a ring???

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those rings are gorgeous - thanks for sharing!

You pictures are wonderful - the detail captured is amazing...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are absolutley gorgeous!!! I''d honestly love to have them all, but especially the first two colored stone rings!!! They just don''t make them like that anymore!

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much for the kind words, everyone! I treasure these rings, and I actually wear them much more often than my newer ones (with one or two exceptions maybe). I''ll have to make a seperate thread sometime for them.

Cehra, they do perform differently actually. The one with the smaller culet has a much higher crown and throws off smaller pieces of light, while the one with the larger culet throws off more fire and bigger flashes. The only problem with the one with the larger culet is that all the light has to come from the outside since the culet is SO large.

JCrow, it really is a great camera. It''s very small and has a pretty big screen in back to view the pics.

Isaku, I haven''t shared that one yet because I''m honestly not that thrilled with how it is currently set. I thought I liked the setting, but it''s really not me. It in a very modern almost tension-looking setting. However, I don''t really want to spend the money right now to change it. I''ll post pics sometime, though. Thanks for asking about it!

I really can''t tell you all how special your comments have made me feel. I''ve always appreciated these rings, but not many people I know seem to care that they are truly old pieces with history and unique style. I wish I knew more about their history, honestly. My mom''s mother passed long before I was born, so I don''t know that much about them.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
I just posted a thread calling you over to the colored gemstone forum when diamondseeker let me know about your yummy thread here!!

I cannot beleive that you are holding out on us gemstone junkies!!!

WOW.. WOW WOW!!! Those rings are just scrumptous!!! I LOVE THE color change.. wow... very very impressive. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post yur rings over in the colored stones forum!!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have a beautiful collection! It''s hard to choose, but being a diamond-lover I''d have to go with the 2 OEC ring as my favorite. They are all lovely though!

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
That alexandrite is stunning!!!!! Those are so rare!!! How big is that stone?

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/18/2006 10:32:01 AM
Author: Rosebud8506
That alexandrite is stunning!!!!! Those are so rare!!! How big is that stone?

I don't know for sure, but eyeballing it, it looks to be around 11mm x 7 mm. It's a bit banged up, but I love it.

Thanks again, everyone, for all the kind remarks! I'm getting so addicted to seeing everyone else's beautiful things on here...this is better than a museum!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results