carat
color
clarity

My 3 pairs of "New" Antique Earrings

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi PS,

Bare with me, these are all iPhone photos.. and since I've lost my macro lens, they aren't the best photos.

Okay first up! I purchased these for only $130 as 14k yellow gold with 0.14ctw OMB center stones. They are estimated to be made before 1910, from the seller, using the history of ownership. The flowers were so beautiful to me, and I loved the detailing of the veins in the petals, and the delicate stamen!

So I've held onto these since April, and always intended to get them made into a pair of stud earrings. I carried them with me everywhere hoping to stop by a jewelers. Since I went to SNQ for my e-ring setting, I decided to take these in to see what they can do with them. They had their antique specializing bench "revamp" one of the flowers that were more smushed, and clean them up so that the oxidizing matched on both flowers.. and I got to sell them the "pins" part to pay for part of the labor. I just picked them up today when I went to go look at the first round of CADs for my e-ring. :bigsmile:

598557_3598487794923_1369318883_n.jpg

antiqueombflowerearringsafters10928109281092812.jpg

antiqueombflowerearringstudsaftersearshots918018209812.jpg

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This second pair was also purchased in April. I've had a fascination with garnets because SO's birthstone is the garnet. I found this pair of antique cluster garnet earrings for $30. I love the fine milgraining. It was stated by the seller to be 9kt gold, and SNQueens confirmed it is "low karat gold". I was going to have them change the setting into pierced studs from its current un-pierced screw backing, but it's quite costly, and I don't see myself wearing these as often, so I'm keeping them as is. These are from the Victorian era.

ETA: Oh, poo, you can't see the milgraining on the bezel of the center stone ..

antiquegarnetclusterearrings09809182098109212.jpg

antiquegarnetclusterearringsearshot09120812.jpg

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anddd… my 3rd pair. These are now my "dailies". I purchased these back in January from Ms. Athenaworth when she had them up in the Preloved section. I had been wanting diamond studs for a while, and when I saw these, I thought "OH! I can make them into 2 pairs!". After I got them and wore them around for a while, I learned to love its dangly-ness. They're 1.51ctw of OMB goodness in buttercup set dangles.. Yum!

These aren't "Antique", but they are "Vintage". 1940's?

This is a horrible photo, of course. Since it's a dangly, and it moves around, I was having so much trouble getting a proper photo..

athenaworthprelovedombdanglies.jpg

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Athenaworth's preloved pair the most. I seriously wear it almost every day.. and I clean them every time I wear them! The buttercup setting really lifts it "off the ear", and makes it look HUGE! My DBF said, "Those can't be real, they're so big! Are they real? You better have not spent that much money!" when he first saw them. I never answered :naughty:

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
There gorgeous! I especially love athenaworths too!! :love: :love:

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
They are all gorgeous! :love: The pins you had turned into earrings are so delicate and subtle, they really turned out great. The garnet set are very beautiful, and the fact that they are SO's birthstone makes me extra special. And the "dailies"-WOW! They are stunning, I love the buttercup settings.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love them all!!

The flowers are adorable, the garnets are totally charming, and I was another who was eyeballing Athena's dangles :love: :love: :love:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Christina!

Army, yes! I'm not a CS-knowledgeable person at all but I *have to love garnets now ;-)

Yssie, oh my I'm lucky I caught that pair then! and didn't have to battle you for them, lol

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OOOHHH I love the pins-turned-studs!!! Gorgeous!! :lickout:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Love all three -- so different, but classy and lovely, each pair. It's so cool how you had the flowers made into earrings. Very pretty. More pics, perhaps? I'd love to see more pics 8)

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks guys! Oh I totally forgot I even had this thread! :oops: Silly me. I actually just "inherited" an old point and shoot, thank god, so I'll probably post pics as soon as I get a chance :wink2:

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm so glad to see my babies so loved. ;-) they look like they were made for you!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just got my Olloclip in yesterday :)) Hopefully I don't lose it again. Here are some fun pics I took.

I love the detailing on these two!! The "veins" on the petals, and the stamin..
photo_4_5.jpg
photo_5_3.jpg

photo_1_6.jpg

These are a teeny pair of emerald earrings in :confused: karat yellow gold. They were given to me at my baptism when I was just a wee baby. The color doesn't represent properly. I kept trying to take the photo in different positions, but I can't capture it. It's actually a very bright green, almost lime green, and not bluish at all. There's a huge inclusion in one of them, as seen in the left earring on the bottom photo.
photo_3_7.jpg
photo_2_8.jpg

Wow, these photos looked so kicka$$ on my phone.. blown up, they're blurry! Yikes! I definitely can't do brain surgery-- my hand shakes too much!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
These are all gorgeous! Madelise, what were the flowers for originally, do you know? Those long pins are fascinating.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1356380581|3339258 said:
These are all gorgeous! Madelise, what were the flowers for originally, do you know? Those long pins are fascinating.

They were stick pins. The advertisement ran said that they can be used to hold together scarves. :confused: I knot my scarves, so I have no idea.. I really don't know what stick pins are for! Heh. I really do adore them, and also find them fascinating. I can't imagine how people were SO detailed in their work, all by hand, and with no electricity. I picture a professional sitting with his monocle, sitting by candle light, or by a window, carving the little details.

I wonder how much a thing like this would cost nowadays, esp with the veining and stamin details.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results