shape
carat
color
clarity

MWM SunBurst -- THANK YOU GOG, Rhino, Mark Morrell and Pricescope

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

newyorker111

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi all,

I''d been lurking here for several months prior my fiance and I deciding on and purchasing my new engagement ring, and now that I finally have it in hand I wanted to post a long-overdue thank you to the wonderful folks involved in the process, and to add my two cents to the positive data points on these excellent firms.

After months of reading/obsessing/reading some more about how to choose a diamond (almost all on pricescope), and some less-than-impressive experiences at some local diamond district merchants, it was a no-brainer for us to go with Good Old Gold. We are close enough to visit GOG in person, which we did - twice! The first time we stopped by on the way back from a trip, and arrived 10 minutes before closing. Jonathan was kind enough to stay an extra 30 minutes past closing to talk with us and show us a couple stones. We made an appointment for the weekend, and came back then. On our second trip, Jonathan spent several hours with us showing different variations in color, cut, and clarity, under different lighting conditions. After additional deliberation, we went with this stone:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5381

0.86 ct, AGS0 Ideal cut, H&A, G SI1

Despite the cloud right under the table facet (which did concern me initially), it is completely eyeclean and exactly what we were looking for from a quality/value/price perspective. (I''ve completely bought into the theory that the stone is a reflection of the nature of a good marriage -- not without its imperfections but still a rare and valuable gem. :) ) The obvious attention to detail and care that Jonathan and his entire team exhibit, and the copious technical information they supply on every stone, made us very comfortable in buying this stone, and confident that we were getting a good value on an excellent stone.

For the ring, I knew I wanted a Mark Morrell setting (in fact, my fiance found Mark''s site thorough a Google search before we knew about Pricescope; googling Mark led us here.) His simple, flowing styles, and choice of platinum alloy, really appealed to both of us. I had some trouble deciding between the SunBurst and the Torchiere, and a phone conversation with Mark helped me clarify which was best for me. I also had trouble deciding on the classic vs petite rings, and Mark was kind enough to send me wax models of each so I could see for myself how the different widths would look on my finger. I went with the classic (to emphasize the curves in the shank) and even though I have pretty short fingers (it''s a 5 1/2 size ring) it looks perfect on me. The ring is very subtle in "real life" as opposed to Mark''s magnified pictures. Working with Mark was an absolute pleasure -- he is very approachable and friendly, and a true craftsman with obvious pride and incredible attention to detail in his work. We''re looking forward to having Mark craft our wedding bands as well.

Finally we worked with Jeff Averbrook in Medford, MA for the appraisal of the loose stone and the finished ring -- he was great to work with and a true professional.

So thanks to everyone at Pricescope who has posted with questions and answers -- I probably read a large percentage of those posts while I was researching! We couldn''t be happier with the superb quality of the finished product, and are happy that our hard-earned $$ have gone towards excellent small/family-run merchants who care about doing a great job and providing excellent customer service.
Thanks!

And finally, some pictures from Mark (I''ll post hand shots once I have a chance to take some...)

ClassicSunBurst0.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the great write up newyorker. It looks like all your reading paid off in spades. The stone is gorgeous, and the ring is stunning! Well done, and congrats!
36.gif

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations! It looks like all your hard work paid off. Thanks for a sharing your experience with GOG and MM. Your ring is beautiful and I can''t wait to see pictures of it on your finger.
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

beechezz

Brilliant_Rock
NewYorker,

It means a lot that you spent the time to write about the creation of your "perfect" ring. I think all PSer''s would agree that it means a lot to hear feedback on your journey with all of the different vendors that you dealt with. Your diamond looks exquisite in its new setting. What a superb ring to have for a lifetime!
Congratulations! LOVE IT!

P.S. Cannot wait to see hand shots of that baby!
6.gif
)

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring, congrats!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring, I love it.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats it''s absolutely stunning. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

HermioneM

Rough_Rock
Trade
Great post! And even greater ring! What a beauty! I absolutely adore Mark Morrell''s work - it just looks so perfect! I''m currently waiting (not very patiently unfortunately!) for my engagement ring (Petite Torchiere) from MM. How long did yours take to arrive?

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations!

It''s a gorgeous diamond. And I just love MWM''s designs. Feel free to post more pics!!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BEA-U-T-FUL!!! Congratulations!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, that is gorgeous...
30.gif
30.gif
Stunning really. I really love Mark Morells'' settings.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Such a gorgeous, classic setting!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love MM rings. They always look so perfect and fluid. I hope you can come back and show us handshots soon!

newyorker111

Rough_Rock
Trade
Yikes, I didn''t mean to post and run the first time -- it took me a lot longer than I had expected to get around to taking some hand shots, but six weeks later, here are a couple of pictures taken professionally during an engagement photo shoot; I just received them and wanted to share them here.

00043-lowres.jpg

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your photos came out really beautiful and the ring of course is perfect if it came out of MM''s shop!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results