shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking to buy myself a graduation ring and I need help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
So I''m graduating college soon (it''s a toss up between "yay for me" and "it''s about time"...) and my department kind of sucks because the graduation ball is super expensive and in such a remote location FI and I would have to get a room there (not interested), and no graduation rings are being sold.
8.gif

But being the PSer that I am, I WANT a pretty shiny to reward myself after the 4 sucky years I''ve just put myself through. Thing is (and this is where you come in
2.gif
), I don''t know what to get. Here''s what I know:

I have a very tiny budget, I want a band-type ring, I want blue sapphires and I want something delicate, but I also want maximum wearability. I don''t want something that looks too much like my wband (bezel half-eternity diamond band), but I don''t want something that scream "school ring" either. I really like facets'' .66ctw blue sapphire eternity band, but I''m not sure I want to spend 500$ on this. I have no debt, but I also have no steady income yet, and with the wedding coming... Well, you know. If I can''t find something I like as is, I also have the option of working with a local jeweller who did my ering and wband.

Ideas?

TIA!

krisvrn

Brilliant_Rock
No advise on ring, but I just wanted to say congrats on your latest accomplishment!!!
Best of luck in the future.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know the band you are talking about. But honestly, I think that 500$ is a nice present to yourself, no guilt whatsoever. A lot of people treat themselves to a vacation or something fun when they are done.

I didn''t do anything but I was depressed because I was doing a master''s right after and it was DEFINITELY not something I wanted to do.

I saw something on Oprah that said milestones in life need to be celebrated, and if they aren''t you feel cheated somehow.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
sometimes they have cute ones on Overstock for around $100 and up. San Diego Lady posted one a while back that I really liked, she was looking at it but they didn''t have her size in stock. I think it was about $300.

I have ordered 2 eternity bands from Overstock before and the things I got had pretty good quality, not wonderful but better than I expected for the price. I ended up sending them back b/c they weren''t quite right with my e-ring. I think the return process was a little long but otherwise no hassles.

If you love the one on facets I''d go for it. Maybe wait til you start your job. In a few months you probably won''t miss the extra couple hundred bucks and you should get something you love to mark this special occasion! The worst would be to waste $ on something you didn''t love!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the congrats, everyone! I'll have a B.Sc. in Biological Sciences (in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology to be more precise).

Ally, thanks for your input. I do intend to celebrate it, buying myself a pretty sapphire ring is exactly the point. I'm pretty bummed out about the graduation ball, but I can't go to the ball and buy a ring, and I'd rather get a ring.

Question: Does Signed Pieces do custom orders? Maybe I could have a 3/4 or 1/2 eternity version of the ring so I can have "UdM 2008" engraved in it... What do you think? Maybe I should just call their toll free number...

Here's a picture of it...

facetsblue16495.jpg

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Thanks babymonster and TanDogMom. I''ll look into those options as well.

chiapet

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on almost-finishing college! That''s a huge accomplishment and you definitely should buy a bling to reward yourself. The ring you showed is very pretty. Is it within your budget? I frequently look on overstock.com and random jewelry stores that I walk by. Can''t wait to see what you end up buying!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Huh. Well, I just called Signed Pieces and they don''t do the half eternity. Shame. Well, I guess I''ll have to give this more thought.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Hi anchor,

Congratulations on the upcoming graduation! It's a great feeling, isn't it?

Check out these sapphire marquise and diamond bands. The listing says they can be sold individually for $460 which I know is nearing out-of-budget-ville, but look at how they echo your e-ring!
10.gif
I've actually spoken with the dealer herself and she's very nice, so you might be able to see if she'll go any lower, if you decide it's the one.

14k WG Sapphire Bands

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shop NBC has some Effy Collection sapphire band rings on sale. I think there''s five choices, but I like the blue sapphs in white gold or the pink sapphs in rose gold. Effy uses SI diamonds. In general their quality is very nice.

To see all of the choices, go to http://www.shopnbc.com and type in item # J181334 in the search box.

CID=ecprodweb20

vertical_line_VOD.gif

function DisplayRemaingText()
{
var objDDL = eval(''document.forms[0].'' + gstrSKUDropDownID);
var intIndex = objDDL.selectedIndex;
if ((intIndex > -1) && (intIndex {
ShowRemaingText("DivWeightList", false);
ShowRemaingText("DivRemaningOriginal", false);
ShowRemaingText("DivAvailable", false);
ShowRemaingText("DivNAvailable", false);
ShowRemaingText("DivSoldout", false) ;
ShowRemaingText("DivLimited", false) ;

var divName=gArrRemaningDivs[intIndex];
if(divName==''DivNAvailable'')
{
var divHref = document.getElementById(''DivNAvailableHRef'');
if(divHref!=null)
{
divHref.innerHTML= "Only " + gArrNumberofRemaningItems[intIndex] + " available";
}
}
ShowRemaingText( divName,true) ;
}
}

function ShowRemaingText(ele,isvisible)
{
var m = document.getElementById(ele);

if (isvisible)
{
m.style.display = "";
m.className = "padding16B";
}
else
m.style.display = "none";
}

Item available

Sold out

Item available

Only 4 available

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m sorry the photo didn''t post.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone for taking the time to look these up for me! I''m sort of undecided about the budget, which makes this a little more difficult. The Overstock semi-eternity one looks good... I think I''ll ask my jeweller for some quote before I make a choice. I''ll let you know what I decide!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Well, I''ve been doing some poking around and I think I''ve decided! I''ll wait until my tax refund and I''ll order the thin tricolour gold ring from rollingring.com I can''t really justify spending 500$ on jewellery at the moment, but I am hoping to get that sapphire band eventually...
28.gif

Rolling-Rings-3B3CTHIN-2T.jpg

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh nice choice anchor! Classic, a bit of fun, no durability issues re. stones, and it would look rather nice stacked with a sapphire eternity!
11.gif
I''m dying to get a rolling ring myself.

Congratulations on your big achievement!!!
36.gif
36.gif

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Anchor, congrats on your graduation!

The rolling ring is a great gift for yourself, I bought one as a simple wedding band 6 months ago and wear it almost every day (either on my left or right hand). It''s a great price and a great ring.

I''ve been on a quest for a sapphire eternity band for about 3 months now. I finally bought one yesterday--I had to buy one in platinum since I plan to wear it with my e-ring and wedding band, but this white gold one was a very good deal at $400--and I bet you could negotiate some off of that...

http://www.doverjewelry.com/catalog/rings/estate_white_gold_sapphire_eternity_band.html

The ring is an estate ring with french-cut sapphires and there is some pretty hand engraving on the sides, which I think is a very nice touch for a standalone ring. I emailed them about the width, and it''s 2.5mm. I''m not sure what size it is, though. I just thought I''d let you know.

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
the other option is asking signed pieces if you can take their wedding bands (which are like half eternity) and substiute the diamond for sapphire. Something like this http://www.signedpieces.com/item.cfm?item_id=3663, but with sapphires.

I am doing this with their facets huggies earring, but the other way round. this way, they can use an existing setting IYKWIM and should be the same, as long as the price is OK, they will need to requote the price for sapphires.

Good luck
and congrats on your studies
35.gif
D2B

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Thanks again, everyone. Since I''ll be waiting for my tax refund I still have time to look around and consider my options. I appreciate the ideas!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to say congrats on the upcoming graduation and that I''m excited to see what you end up with--looks like you''ll end up with something fab regardless of which you choose.
1.gif

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been following your thread (and everyone''s suggestions). I am in the same boat as you. I want to get a ring for graduation, but not the typical class ring. I am also looking for a stack-type ring (but not with blue sapphires
2.gif
).

I hope you find something beautiful! Looks like it will be a really timeless piece! Congrats on graduating!

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Hi Anchor,
was looking at a site Selkie posted for thin wedding bands and saw this
I bet your finger is too small...but what a great price for a .5 eternity sapphire wg band.
congrats on your upcoming graduation! so many celebrations!

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results