shape
carat
color
clarity

... looking for a non-Kretchmer Omega, like this!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sandee

Rough_Rock
First time poster! LOVE this site - who knew there were so many other ring nuts out there!
eek.gif

I love tension settings ... currently looking for Kretchmer alternatives to the style pictured here. Ideas?? Suggestions??

skg10.jpg

| full credit and site of
pictured item above
|

Thanks!

Sandee / NJ
www.sandeeland.com

diamond dazed

Rough_Rock
I've looked at a lot of tension settings, and love this one. I assume that you're looking to save $$ by not going with a Kretchmer? Gelin and Abaci makes one that sorta has the same feel -- it's round and has diamonds on one side, though instead of being "sprinkled" like that one, they're more evenly spaced, it's also shinny metal all the way around instead of matte on one side, as this is. It would probably end up being about 1/2 the cost (just guessing) of the Kretchmer -- but it's no where near as pretty.

Niessing has a round one like that, and I think that it says (in their catalog) that they can add diamonds to any setting, but their prices are right up there with Kretchmer's.

Good luck with your hunt, and welcome!

Kris

Sandee

Rough_Rock
... yes, saving a few bucks is always good. The price of the ring, as shown, with about .7 total Karat weight - was about $5,200. Not that I don't think it's fair to pay market value for a "real" Kretchmer ... there are so many other designers doing similar pieces, I thought I'd ask. As an example, I have a BEAUTIFUL titanium tension ring ... with a .4 center stone, I spent a fraction of that price. Again, not a Kretchmer, but really really nice!

Sandee / NJ

JoangA

Shiny_Rock
I purchased a Kretchmer, I love it. However I supplied the diamond, which did save some $$.
I have the ramdom diamonds, and one side was matte. The matte finish becomes smooth very quickly.

He does great work.

Manks

Rough_Rock
Stunning.

Forgive my ignorance, but how does the stone stay in place? Obviously, there is pressure either side, but it looks like it could twist, knock out or chip at the edges and drop out.

I am sure that none of these problems occurr but I would like to know why.

Manks

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

----------------
On 12/19/2003 7:38:28 AM Manks wrote:

Stunning.

Forgive my ignorance, but how does the stone stay in place? Obviously, there is pressure either side, but it looks like it could twist, knock out or chip at the edges and drop out.

I am sure that none of these problems occurr but I would like to know why.

Manks
----------------

Hey Manks,

The tension mountings can actually cover more of the girdle than other types of settings, thus resulting in a little better protection than some prong settings.The precious metals are especially hardened by what is referred to as 'work-hardening'. This work hardening is accomplished by pressure or by thermal treatment. This special treatment to the precious metal results in the precious metal having a certain springiness which will grip the diamond without the necessity of a bezel or claws. The diamond is basically (PRESSURE SET) pressed by the girdle on each side by the ends of the ring. Some companies use different amounts of pressure. Recently when reviewing a certain company I read they used 60 pounds of pressure on each side. Each metal end has a small groove called the 'seat' into which a small section of the girdle fits. These settings are very secure but because a good portion of the girdle is exposed, the diamond might be prone to chipping so insurance with this type of setting is a good idea.../idealbb/images/smilies/wavey.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

----------------
On 12/5/2003 7:43:22 PM Sandee wrote:

I love tension settings ... currently looking for Kretchmer alternatives to the style pictured here. Ideas??Suggestions??
----------------

Actually I have not seen anything like this by another maker of gold tension settings. As far as I know Absolute Titanium customizes some of its tension settings with little white and colored diamonds placed as the buyer desires: well, their models are not like this and I doubt about having anything made in gold there. i would not have something as specialized as a tension setting 'experimented' upon by a random jeweler...

This 'sprinkled' style is becoming popular though. One designer made this his trademark a while ago: Etienne Perret. Their business is well acustomed to working remotely and ery accomodating of customers' ideas, but I have no idea wether they make tension settings.

Best of luck!

This shop used to custom tension settings, but not anymore. Actually I agree with the explanaton on the linked page
sad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results