shape
carat
color
clarity

LAD OEC in vintage-inspired CVB ring with ruby collar

DecoDaze

Shiny_Rock
I tend to be more of a lurker than a poster, but this forum has been invaluable to me in the creation of my dream ring, so here's my attempt to give back via a detailed account of my process. I finished my PhD in December, and this ring is in celebration of a feat that took me a really long time and a great deal of blood, sweat, and tears to complete (I had some health problems and two kids along the way). I started with the thought that I'd get something pretty but inexpensive, but that thought slowly expanded (aided quite a bit by the encouragement of friends and DH) to: "this is a major accomplishment that will never happen again, so go for it!" I decided that at the top of my list was a 9ish mm OEC in a low color in a custom setting.

I got in touch with Erica at LAD, Grace at JbG, and Adam at OWD. They all came up with some good contenders (and kudos to Grace for many detailed email exchanges), but my "go for it" still came with a budget, so it was difficult to find an OEC with the parameters I wanted under budget. Then Erica came across my stone, which was a consignment in a platinum ring. Erica was wonderful, answered all my questions, reassured me frequently, and ultimately made the purchasing process very smooth.

I loved the stone, which Erica sold as a CAPE stone, and has a noticeable body tint. I call it "light champagne;" it came back as Q/R from GIA. It's the perfect shade; sometimes it looks ivory, sometimes light yellow, sometimes just a bit warm. It tends to capture the ambient colors, so it can look green or blue or red or pink. Very cool! It doesn't have traditional OEC faceting, but its tiny table and giant perimeter facets really speak to me. (A non-jewelry obsessed friend commented: "Wow, I don't even like diamonds, but that is beautiful. It looks like a star!") I think I really lucked out, too, because it's shallow, so it faces up large, but it has light play from edge to edge and is just gorgeous.

I had the diamond removed from its original setting and started to think seriously about how I wanted to set it. I went through so many variations it would be impossible to recount them here. But eventually, I decided that I wanted to work with Caysie van Bebber at CVB Inspired Design. I love what I've seen of her work here and on her FB page, and I thought with her help, I would end up with something truly fantastic. I was right!

Ultimately, my inspiration ring was actually one of Circe's (whose entire collection I deeply admire!). This one: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/omc-in-art-deco-emerald-setting.205831/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/omc-in-art-deco-emerald-setting.205831/[/URL] My design is quite different, but my favorite part of her ring is how the emeralds just peek out from the side of the center stone in the top-down view. You'll note that my rubies do the same. I decided to go with rubies for the sake of endurance, and unplated white gold for warmth to complement the warmth of my stone.

I sent photos of Circe's ring to Caysie, along with some comments about other features I would like, and she sent back some sketches that I thought were an amazing first draft. We consulted about the details and went through two (or maybe three?) more versions, and then she had CADs created. We did two rounds of CADs, and then it was ready to be cast. (The ruby collar on the ring is hand forged.) I was really happy with my communication with Caysie, who understood my requests for changes, even when I didn't have the right vocabulary, and who made some wonderful suggestions to make the finished ring really flow.

We ran into a couple of snafus, such as the bench putting the head on the wrong way, but Caysie was apologetic about the delay and took care of it immediately. The whole process took quite a while (about 4 months from deposit to final payment), but I had told Caysie that I wasn't in a hurry, so that wasn't a problem.

And I am absolutely thrilled with the results! I love every single detail on this ring, and I love it from all angles. It is truly my dream ring. And now, I will let the ring speak for itself.

Stone stats:
GIA Old European Brilliant
9.41 - 9.54 x 5.31mm
2.83 ct
Q to R range
VS1
no fluor
41% table
56% depth

Vendor photos:

red_potato_vendor_8.jpeg

red_potato_vendor_9.jpeg

red_potato_vendor_10.jpeg

red_potato_vendor_11.jpeg

DecoDaze

Shiny_Rock
I just love all the details: the cut outs, the millegrain, the graduated pave, the surprise diamonds, the fleur de lis prongs, and the beautiful engraving. Most of all the ruby collar! The rubies were repurposed from an antique brooch, and they are a deep vivid red, just what I had envisioned.

Here it is with a vintage ruby band I got on eBay (that Caysie actually pointed me to!), and which I am still deciding on, but will probably keep. Also, my stone showing her true colors!

red_potato_hand_shot_profile.jpg

red_potato_hand_shot_angle_1.jpg

red_potato_hand_shot_side_profile_ruby_band.jpg

DecoDaze

Shiny_Rock
Last ones: fire!

Look at her go!

Finally, my best attempts at close ups (through a loupe):

That's all. Thanks for looking!

red_potato_fire_2.jpg

red_potato_sparkle.jpg

red_potato_close_up_1.jpg

red_potato_close_up_2.jpg

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OH, it's just perfect. I love the stone itself, but that setting is just SPEAKING to me. That ruby collar is devine. Maybe, just maybe, someday your ring with be my inspiration!

Congratulations, wear it in good health!!!

Eauphelia

Rough_Rock
This is amazing. Absolutely beautiful stone and setting. The band is perfect with it too. Congrats on your PhD!

LuckyKelleyK

Shiny_Rock
It is so gorgeous! It is seriously an heirloom worthy ring. Congratulations on your achievement, and your "because I deserve it!" ring :dance:

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, that's beautiful! I love the ruby collar, so different! I'll be honest, I like it best on it's own, as the star of the show. Congrats on your PhD!!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow! I saw this ring on CvB's Instagram and was hoping it show up on here so I could see more pics! What a special ring, the ruby collar is perfect and I love the curves of the engraved band :) a true heirloom piece!

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
I love every single detail. That stone is divine. I am drooling over the ruby collar. Those cut outs on the shank are amazing. Every detail is beyond lovely. Enjoy and many congrats on your phd- amazing!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Breathtaking! Every detail is perfect & I especially love the claws! They are so unusual!

I would keep the ruby eternity ring too. They look like they belong together :love:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! :love: I love everything about it and I too love the ruby eternity with it.
It's a work of art. Kudos to Erica for finding you this beauty and to Caysie for a beautiful creation. :appl:

And a big congratulations on accomplishing your PhD especially with everything else you were doing. A great job all around. :appl:

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
OMG your ring is amazing! It looks fabulous paired with the vintage ruby ring. Congrats on completing your PhD its a huge achievement! :appl:

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I gasped when I saw this ring! I love the details and the ruby collar is spectacular!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spectacular, just beautiful! I love that you used rubies instead of ctge more common sapphire look

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone and the setting is totally divine! :love: :love: :love:
Just perfect in every way. Wear it in good health!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First and foremost, congratulations on your major accomplishment :appl:

The stone and setting are absolutely DIVINE :love: Such perfect details make it a definite heirloom piece!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bright ice|1427976078|3855719 said:
First and foremost, congratulations on your major accomplishment :appl:

The stone and setting are absolutely DIVINE :love: Such perfect details make it a definite heirloom piece!

Not to threadjack but BrightIce we've been waiting on new pictures of your newest ring!!

This is a beautifully executed ring - congrats to you on it and your accomplishments!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! Love the colored collar! Congrats on finishing your PHD! Quite a feat indeed!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an amazing stone and setting!!!
I already admired it on Caysies FB and wondered whether it would show up here on PS. And I am so glad it did.
Thanks for sharing the pics with the amazing details. I love the ruby collar and intricate engraving :appl:
And your stone :love: :love: :love: I have a huge preference for warm stones (my own OEC has U-V color). Yours radiates such a warm beauty. It reminds my of antique lace.

Enjoy wearing it!!

snfsdca

Rough_Rock
Oh my, DecoDaze...this is just BEAUTIFUL!!! The collar is so elegant and I love it paired with your ruby eternity. Enjoy!

libramom

Shiny_Rock
First off congrats on obtaining your Ph.D, go girl!!!

I like many others peeped this ring on Caysies IG, it is quite lovely and definitely one of a kind...enjoy your new treasure

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on such a milestone achievement and what a fantastic way to celebrate it! I love your take on Circe's ring! Wear it in health and happiness!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh it's just gorgeous. I LOVE absolutely everything about it from stone to setting. Congratulations on your ring and getting your PhD!

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
This is unbelievably beautiful!!! I love the OEC (color and all!) and the ring setting is to die for: that ruby collar with the diamonds in the center, wowie zowie!!!

Congratulations on your PhD and your ring!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results