shape
carat
color
clarity

Kamuelamom''s Christmas present from Santa

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
The ring has arrived. With my limited part-time earnings, I purchased this band off the DT December sale thread. Eddie paid for half as a Christmas present to me.
1.gif
While it is a beautiful band, I do not think that the spread of it is appropriately sized for my 4.5 size fingers. I feel it's way too wide for me. Granted it doesn't even fit properly right now, I knew it wouldn't (it's currently a 6.5 but I was told it could probably be sized without any issues), I feel even if I try to size it the spread would still be too wide. It actually causes a gap between the other fingers because of the flared sides of the outer diamonds. This ring is unique in that the 5 stones taper down in size from the center stone outward from 4mm to 3mm. I louped them today and was able to see some neat black carbon crystals (which don't seem to hinder the sparkle
1.gif
). I am fascinated by this because my DVatche set does not have any black carbon spots whatsoever. Makes me now feel like I own a VVS when in fact it is an extremely clean SI1. But I digress. Back to the band.

It is in white gold and I only had time to visit one jeweler yesterday. I spoke to the benchman who offered me a few options:

#1 and most economical - Cut away the most outer stones to turn the existing setting into a 3-stone setting, re-join the band, and make earrings with the 2 remaining diamonds, $195-$210. I'm pulling towards this being it is the least costly and nothing will go wasted. I will look at this like I got a 3-stone and a pr. of earrings for $700. The ring cost $500.

#2 - Buy a brand new 3 stone setting and make earrings out of 2 remaining diamonds. This option would run about $395.

#3 - Keep ring as is, and wear on right/middle finger. Least favored option.

With either option 1 or 2, replacing side stones with pink sapphires (.20 ct each)and keep 2 additional diamonds for later, additional $270.

I didn't know pink sapphires were so costly. Benchman also suggested using pink tourmalines. Then I saw some very pretty colored stones in varied shades of green, blue/green & teal color, when asked he said they were emeralds. Yummm....those teal ones were so pretty too but I didn't have the courage to inquire about the cost at that point. Bottom line is the cost of this ring is going up. Even he agreed that as is, even if resized, the ring was just too wide for my ring finger as a 5-stone for my ring finger. It just looks awkward.

What to do, what to do. Of course I could do nothing for the time being, and save up to do it with the pinkies or even the teals, which I really love. In the meantime I can shop around for some nice colored natural stones. If anyone has good sources for these, can you please share them with me? Colored Gemstone Nut, HELP!! I'd like to stay away from ebay because although I bought a few really inexpensive stones, I have no way to tell whether they are even real or not. My guess because of the prices is that they were lab created.

MichaelE contacted me offering different settings for lower cost than I was offered at the jeweler I visited. He presented a couple other interesting ideas. At this point I'm in no rush because it looks like I need to spend at least a little more to get it wearable on my ring finger. I am open to any/all ideas and sources for nice inexpensive settings (of good quality of course).

Final thought for Mara...I was even thinking, as a last resort, to use these stones, save up a little more to buy some nice little melees from Whiteflash, and make that cross afterall.
naughty.gif
Hmmmm...but then, I thought in all fairness I'd really like to stay true to the intent of why I bought it in the first place, which was to wear a band alone, which I can't with my Dvatche set because of the contour in the setting.

confused.gif
14.gif
confused.gif

[edited because I didn't realize the other DT member I mentioned is actually MichaelE, who also posts here. Duh on me. Doink!]

5stoneA.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
nice ring.
The price on the sapphires seems steep to me.
Im off sleep land for the night but will hunt some up for you later today after church if someone hasnt by then.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Holy smokes, my puter almost crashed!
eek.gif
If I get beamed up and disappear, please call the squad out to find me. OK, while I'm still here, here's a few more pics...

Thanks for responding Strmrdr. I'll be checking back in after church tomorrow too.
1.gif

5stoneB.jpg

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Last one. This is of the ring on my right hand, middle finger. I don't favor wearing this band here, though it does work. Posted these to show you guys just how wide it actually is.

5stoneE.jpg

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
hi k-mom, i had a 3-stone wg ring made from my promise ring and a pair of earrings 2 years ago. the middle stone is about 0.25ct and the sides are approx 0.2ct (prolly slightly less).

this is what it looks like on my 4.75 left ring finger (its abit loose), hope it helps give u an idea of what urs may end up looking like. if u want pictures of it on my other fingers, just let me know. best of luck and i think option 1/2 sounds better than the last, u get a new ring and earrings, it just depends on which of the 2 is the most practical and recommended by the jeweler!! bonus
5.gif

tristone.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wait a little and see wether you might get used with wearing it on the finger where it fits? if you were not planning to wear it on the right hand, it is understandable that if feels ackward, ut it may grow on you. It looks just fine (width at all) from this side of the net!
1.gif
besides, the three center stone will no longer cover the entire "face" of your ring finger. The jeweler may adapt the band so that diamonds do not get caught between the finger. Just ask...

The price for pink sapphire "accents" may sound big, but it seems right to me (for eye clean, intense pink stuff). The best colors can get even worth. I would expect clean emeralds of good color to be up to 450 for 4-5mm rounds. Actually, that teal (blueish green) tint would make emeralds cheaper in larger sizes, but I have yet to come across accent stones in that (awesome, typical Zambian) shade.

Colored stones! He hei! I am more than glad to share in the hunt, if I may... A good browse on a few sites who seem to have them all should be a good point to start until you decide what colors you like. Africagems, Multicolour and Lapilia are the best ones with a very wide variety for reference. The "smart search" option on the bottom front page of multicolour makes a great tool to explore gem options by color: one of the better ways I found to get people intrigued by a wider variety than the classic ruby-sapphire-emerald lineup. Their collection of tsavorite garnet is unmatched in both quality and variety (if you like greens...). All these are great sources too. Palagems is nice, but their picture/ prezentation of individual stones are not all that awesome. However, this site along with ruby-sapphire.com is a great source of shopping hints and have nice intros to grading and pricing criteria. Another site, cherrypicked.com (closed until Jan or so, I expect) is about the best spot to take a look at great collection items online. In the same mood is awesomegems (neat stuff, mixed qualities and sometimes "creative" pricing). Enjoy! And don't get too badly hooked into this dangerous sport (as I did
2.gif
).

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I just posted in the "What did you get/give..." that I really like this ring as it is, but hey, I'm not the one who has to wear it and love it.
1.gif
I've had a couple of pieces that I've gotten and not been 100% comfortable with and they've ended up sitting in a drawer until i finally did something about it, so better to take action and get what makes you happy.

Becasue I really like the style, I would vote to size it down and keep the setting as is, which is why you wanted this ring in the first place. IMHO, it looks nice on your hand.
1.gif

Then again, I rarely feel any diamond item is "too big"
2.gif

Whatever you decide, post pics and wear in good health!

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
Hi!

I have a similar ring as my wedding band, but it's been eating into the prongs of my ering, so I've been wearing my ering alone, and that ring on my right hand for the last couple of days. I am slowly getting used to it, but it still feels weird. Maybe wear it for awhile and see how it goes. That way you can still do options #1 or #2 later. Good luck to you!

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
Hi, K-Mom

I like that 3 stone look. Plus a pair of earings! I have 1 hole on one side and 3 holes on the other side. (I don't know how many earing holes you have, I assume just one on each side... haha..) So, I could use another pair of earings. Maybe that's what I can do with my 5 stone... since I don't wear it a lot.

But yeah.. I do think the 3 stone look would look good on you. If you keep the 5 stones on it, I actually think the middle finger looks pretty good.

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
I really like it as is and I think it looks great on your middle finger. Not many people wear diamonds on that finger which is partly why it appeals to me. I would also be hesitant to make a drastic alteration to a ring as option 1. It may not turn out as well as you would hope.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you ALL for your replies!
1.gif
I'm blessed to have so many choices and such great input
2.gif
. Valeria and anyone else who would like to join the hunt, I welcome the help. The suggestion to wear it where it fits now and let it grow on me.....that is happening by default. And I am liking it more each day so I just may like it enough to leave well enough alone. BUT it sure is fun dreaming up options which I can either use now or save up for a rainy day.
1.gif
I've been dreaming of a ring with pink stones anyway, when I saw the thread of the Tiffany 7-stone ring with diamonds/pink sapphires, it confirmed my liking to that combination.
love.gif
The reason I'm not totally comfortable with the idea of it on my middle finger/right hand, is it was originally meant to be worn as a wedding band, and the middle finger/right hand thing just seems so casual and modern to me. If I could afford to be casual with diamonds, that's one thing, but I really can't. Am I being too old fashioned here?
sad.gif
Anyway.....it's even been suggested to do two 3-stone rings:
- 1st with diamond center and 2 colored sides and
- 2nd with colored center and diamond sides plus
- pr. of earrings.

MichaelE thinks this is doable for still less than a total of $400. For that many pieces I may consider spending the extra money.
1.gif
What do you all think of that?

Thanks again for all your help. I appreciate you hanging here with me everyone.
1.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
MichaelE put together my wedding band I bought.
I dont think you can go wrong with having him do the work if thats what you decide to do.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Strmrdr, thanks for that input. I value the voice of a satisfied customer.
1.gif
I am in the process of looking at different setting options. But they have to fit w/in my tight budget or this project will get squeezed out. Of course, I could do it in increments, and it wouldn't hurt as much, huh?
1.gif

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Kmom, just a thought here, possibly because I'm dreamily sitting and staring at my right hand ring that I have because of the Pad Sapphire Wink was kind enough to get for me.

How about making the ring a 3 stoner, and setting the two extra diamonds in a sort of triangular 3 stone pendant, with the main stone either pink or pad sapphire.

I promise guys, I do have some nice things to post, I just gotta get off my tookus and get pics!

win

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmmm, a pendant is yet another option, but with each idea, the price of the bling bling goes up. Sounds lovely though. Please get your tookus in gear and get going with some pics, Winyan.
2.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 12/28/2003 4:52:20 PM strmrdr wrote:

a .20ct diamond is around 3.7mm so that is the appox. size sapphire to look for.
3.7mm pink sapphire $46 each

http://www.israel-diamonds.com/showitem.asp?product=8317

3.6mm for $38 each
http://www.israel-diamonds.com/showitem.asp?product=8316

If it was me id skip the pink sapphire and go to ruby because I like red better than pink.----------------

Strmrdr, have you (or anyone else here, too) had any experience with these folks? The prices are way lower than I was quoted by the local jeweler I visited, and the stones look decent although I have no real experience buying colored stones except those I got off of ebay.
errrr.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results