shape
carat
color
clarity

It's HERE!!! My 5-stone 8-prong trellis reset by DBL

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Yssie:

Gotta be honest, when I heard you were going to add 2 more diamonds I thought you were crazy, and almost said so. I thought adding more to your three was going to be way over the top. My outside voice has no control these days - something to do with my time of life. They don't call it The Change for nothing! See what I mean? Outside voice :lol:

Now there's a lot of diamond there to be sure, but there is balance somehow. Guess that's what good design will get you. The two smallest make the ring look like diamonds carry around to the back, which I like (I like a whole lot of other things as well). But what I like most is the simplicity of the design, with fabulous execution of the details (claws etc), the color of your diamonds and the choice of metal against your skin tone (best of all).

I watched an heirloom/antique being made. Cool.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Phoenix! :halo:

Yes, I do plan to do a (probably very verbose) comparison thread in a bit. I know I can't be objective right now so I'm holding off for another week or so, and also to get the stone reoriented next week - I'll sleep easier once that's done and it's back to me safe and sound!

Thank you also on the earrings! I got them separately secondhand - they were tough to match! I posted some pics of the loose stones in this thread [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/my-studs-are-growing-up-t165839.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/my-studs-are-growing-up-t165839.html[/URL] - it was a long time ago!

June I remember your thread! I didn't realise you've decided to go ahead - I hope that when you get it it's every bit as lovely as you could wish for ::)

We seem to have quite a bit in common - needing DH to like our jewellery and support the acquision, how we sometimes feel about it afterward... Completely Pot and Kettle but please don't feel guilty about wanting what you want! Truly, feeling guilty about not feeling guilty - even I can see what a waste of energy that is! 8)

I do plan to enjoy this one for many, many years. I've said that before, so I'd best not swear to anything, but DH saying outright how much he likes the design is pretty much a vacuum seal :))

Thank you, for your support and reassurances! I'm glad to hear that you think I've been fair to both vendors so far.

Thank you, Deia! I agree with your assessments - both of them! DBL's wirework and finish is just :love: :love: :love: :love:

I'm not sure what we'll be doing with the studs in terms of the reset - I'll find out next week! I know I want to keep the same cup-shaped martini style :sun:

Do you have any photos of your earrings? I tried searching your posts but I didn't get anywhere!

Stargurl huh, so it's not just me? Yeah, I'm re-thinking the high-karat yg now... It's weird, that photo is dead on for the palladium wg in the hallways at home but the sterling on the L is totally off-colour. In the office the ring looks a lot yellower - no pink at all that I can see...

I might just hold off on the second band and deal with getting the (necessary IMO!!) matching one first. I won't get the "you spent over X" discount but oh well!

Thank you bean, diamondringlover, daintyG! ::)

Packy still ruminating, huh? But the project is growing, it seems! :bigsmile:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Begonia|1325880969|3096707 said:
Yssie:

Gotta be honest, when I heard you were going to add 2 more diamonds I thought you were crazy, and almost said so. I thought adding more to your three was going to be way over the top. My outside voice has no control these days - something to do with my time of life. They don't call it The Change for nothing! See what I mean? Outside voice :lol:

Now there's a lot of diamond there to be sure, but there is balance somehow. Guess that's what good design will get you. The two smallest make the ring look like diamonds carry around to the back, which I like (I like a whole lot of other things as well). But what I like most is the simplicity of the design, with fabulous execution of the details (claws etc), the color of your diamonds and the choice of metal against your skin tone (best of all).

I watched an heirloom/antique being made. Cool.

Thank you Begonia! I wouldn't have minded if you'd said something (or I'd like to think so!) - I suspect a lot of people thought I was nuts - I even suspected that myself a couple of times! It's definitely a lot of stone - if the sidestones were lower I don't know that they would've fit comfortably. I really like the "wrapping" effect that you talk about though, and the clean execution - it's busy, but it's *tidy*.

I was a bit worried about the metal colour, having never had palladium white gold before - it turned out just fine! The colour is definitely different from what I'm used to but I like it, just in a different way ::)

I wish I knew why this ring gets so much more attention than my threestone ever did - I thought it'd get less!

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yssie|1325814996|3096175 said:
Hmm. Can I request some opinions - does the palladium wg look kinda - *pink* - to anyone else? That colour is pretty much exactly what I'm seeing IRL... I was planning on getting a 22k yellow gold band to wear with it sometimes, but - would that clash? Maybe 18k rose gold is a better idea? I don't have any 18k rose gold - my 14k is wayy too pink I think...

Yssie, I adore those bands, and I do see the pink in your ring. I think if you wanted to add some texture, a very thin/fine hammered band in 18k rose gold would be gorgeous. I stack a 22k gold brushed finish ring with my unplated wg JM, but the JM alloy has much yellow in it. I'm all about mixing it up, but I think in this case, with the style of your ring, a very subtle thin textured rg (18k) band would do the trick. (I'd be curious to see the 22k hammered, though!)

eta: Also, a *rose gold* band similar to JM's plain milgrain band with dished out center could be gorgeous as well. I own this band in the unplated wg, and it works with many looks...just a thought.
NewJewels has the same band- https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-antique-cushion-solitaire-has-some-new-pals.168614/ ...would be divine in 18k rg!

Gorgeous studs too-perfect size on you.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie, sometimes I don't know if I'll ever make up my mind, seriously! I want this to be IT, so I'm obsessing on getting it right and am afraid of deciding something and then wishing I'd done something else.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coati I'm torn! On the one hand I LOVE LOVE LOVE those bands, and your 24k band, and I've been really wanting a high-karat ring lately. On the other if it doesn't suit my ring I just won't ever *wear* it, I know it, and that'd be a pity!

I wish I had some 18k rose gold on-hand. I really like the texture on that JM band but I don't like the concave center, maybe if it was convex?

What do you think? The yellow chain is 22k and the pink is 14k.

BY1_1.png
BP1_0.png
BP2_0.png

Packy - oh, I get it!! Any word on when they'll get some new stones in? And by AVC wedding band do you mean eternity?

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well you know what I'm going to say, don't you? Start a hammered high karat stack for the right hand! Chop-Chop! :naughty:

Ok-I really love the rg from the pics with your unplated wg. Nice flow-non matchy...but goes. I also think the rg will work well thematically, as it suits the lilt and graceful curves of the new ring.

A convex textured milgrain band could be very cool as well-in 18k rg.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
New stones coming next week I believe. For the wedding band I was thinking a 7 or 9 stone band, whatever fits across and looks the best..in small avc's like .10's or so I thought. If I increase the ends to about .15's I can use the two .11's I have for the wedding band, is my thinking currently. I went back thru my thread and looked at the pics and those little drawings you did of the slope.

And, I love the rg w/your ring, love it. It flows well, like Coati said.

betty6333

Shiny_Rock
Yssie! I LOVE it! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie, I have a feeling a lot of people are going to be calling up DBL and asking for the "Yssie special" after seeing these pictures... god knows if I could afford it, I totally would! It's absolutely breathtaking! I thought the same about the VC version and couldn't see what you didn't like about it, but I do agree that this feels a little more delicate overall. My favorite part is still the 8 prongs on the center stone - looks so much better than 6 (which imo looks better than 4... are you sensing a trend here???). I have serious ring envy - and it is RARE that I get that, even while looking at pictures here, there's tons of stuff that I like but very little I would love to have for myself. And this is one of those few pieces that is just so stunning that even though white RBs aren't my style, I can't take my eyes off it. :appl:

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie, your ring is gorgeous and it looks wonderful on your hand!

Enjoy! =)

zephyr

Shiny_Rock
omg, your ring is stunning. I am going to take your advice and get one of the M stones. I found an M round 0.83 which is under 3k so I will start there.

Your ring is amazing. I LOVE IT.

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock
Yssie it's a knockout!

I may have missed it somewhere, but are you planning to wear your five-stone with a band? I'd love to see it next to your WB and/or engraved band :))

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
sometimes, I start my 'Pricescope day" by watching the DBL video of your ring, Yssie!!! :love: :love: :love: Ah - happiness, sunshine, rainbows and unicorns, all rolled up in a sparkly band of delight! SO GORGEOUS!

It is breathtaking... gets my little diamond juices flowing!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ETA - I prefer the warmth of the pink gold on your hand. IMHO, the 22K yellow is too harsh with your skin tone... but what do I know.... :loopy:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alright, you're all right! The 22k just doesn't flow as well... I've sent out some quote requests for a hammered/brushed-finish band in 18k rose gold ::)

I imagine I'll cave and get a 22/24k band eventually, but I don't need it now.

Thank you Marquise and Sky!

Coati - Hah! I actually don't like wearing rings on my right hand - they're never comfortable. I *do* want one so terribly badly, though... I suppose I'll just have to acquire one and then find a use for it :halo:

Packy - Next week? Awesome!! Your fivestone with a band w/ 10pointers is going to be a *seriously* blingy look :sun:

I do like the idea of increasing the ends - I think it'll make sure the fivestone stays the star of the show :love:

distracts Wow, thank you!! The 8 prongs are my absolute favourite part, too - and I know *exactly* what you mean about the trend, I made exactly that 4-6-8 progression ::)

Hehe I wonder how DBL's bench would feel about that? Both they and VC apparently named it "the PITA" :cheeky: I'm really happy I worked with them, I had a good experience and their work is incredible :appl:

zephyr Thank you! And I can't wait to see your new stone and hear what you think of it!! (Please don't get a lower coloured round just because that'd have been my choice though, your preferences might be very different from mine!)

Thank you LittleRiver! I will be wearing a band - I was debating what colour metal to get, but I think I've decided on 18k pink - hopefully a bit less neon than my 14k pink, but with less emphasis than 22k. I'll also be getting a matching 18k palladium-whitegold band at some point, but I might hold off on that for now - I don't think it'd get much wear, even though it's the "staple"...

Enerchi Aww, thank you! sunshine, rainbows, and unicorns indeed ::)

I remember you talking about the plating on your Ering wearing away - did you wind up getting it re-plated?

I went back over the RT thread and the metal looks *so* different from mine, but I can't tell if that's just the lights/photos or of palladium-wg really can vary so much, like nickel-wg! I don't see any pink at all in your pics, do you remember if you did in-person?

I think you're right about the band colour - PSers have good eyes :bigsmile: I'll get the pink for now, and see how I feel about it. There's always time for others...

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow Yssie - awesome for you to remember my plating issues!! Thanks! :bigsmile:

I actually had the time to go to the store yesterday and the sales person acknowledge 'something different' and will be sending it out to be replated. The owner of the store said it was all a 'non-issue' and to come in anytime and they will send it out. He wants me to be happy and won't charge for a replating - WHAT??? WOW!!! - and he also felt the plating should last 2 - 3 years. Whoa little buddy --- I think that's a bit extreme. :shock: I'm happy with rhodium lasting 6 months to a year, but definitely longer than the 1.5 months before it looked as it did. Also--- this ring was custom made for me, so why is there a 'cut' or incision mark on the bottom of the ring?? They will look into that. That's just an issue that seems to bother me - there was no need to take that kind of tool to it! I'll get it back in a bit and then we start from there in terms of a time frame as to how long this will last for the plating. Owner thought it may have had some chemical on it or polished incorrectly... whatevah... lets just see now. :roll:

Thanks for remembering - and I think I'll update that thread too!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1325966348|3097367 said:
Wow Yssie - awesome for you to remember my plating issues!! Thanks! :bigsmile:

I actually had the time to go to the store yesterday and the sales person acknowledge 'something different' and will be sending it out to be replated. The owner of the store said it was all a 'non-issue' and to come in anytime and they will send it out. He wants me to be happy and won't charge for a replating - WHAT??? WOW!!! - and he also felt the plating should last 2 - 3 years. Whoa little buddy --- I think that's a bit extreme. :shock: I'm happy with rhodium lasting 6 months to a year, but definitely longer than the 1.5 months before it looked as it did. Also--- this ring was custom made for me, so why is there a 'cut' or incision mark on the bottom of the ring?? They will look into that. That's just an issue that seems to bother me - there was no need to take that kind of tool to it! I'll get it back in a bit and then we start from there in terms of a time frame as to how long this will last for the plating. Owner thought it may have had some chemical on it or polished incorrectly... whatevah... lets just see now. :roll:

Thanks for remembering - and I think I'll update that thread too!

Oh, I remembered it in vivid detail - I was scared after reading it that I wouldn't like my metal either, since we have the same alloy! :errrr: :bigsmile: Fortunately that doesn't seem to be the case. Colour and colour preference really is such a personal thing!

2-3 years - wow, that'd be awesome, but it sounds like a lot!! Then again - now that I think about it my rhodium from WF lasted a full year of daily wear without any fading whatsoever, so I guess if they do particularly thick plating and your skin is pretty non-reactive 2-3years isn't all that much of a stretch? I hope they get it sorted and that it's done properly when you get it back! And that there's some harmless explanation for the cut, too...

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'l bet the cut on the bottom of the shank was probably caused by the jeweller attempting to murder the stupid salesperson for her rudeness to me - I put that in my original thread update, forgot it here!

Yeah, if I had the courage - I'd have taken a sharp, buzzing, cutting instrument to HER, not my ring! ROFL!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1325968390|3097400 said:
I'l bet the cut on the bottom of the shank was probably caused by the jeweller attempting to murder the stupid salesperson for her rudeness to me - I put that in my original thread update, forgot it here!

Yeah, if I had the courage - I'd have taken a sharp, buzzing, cutting instrument to HER, not my ring! ROFL!

::snort::

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Wow!!!! I love how exposed the diamonds are!!!!!!! Perfect for cleaning!

Just lovely profile...lovely lovely lovely!!!!!! BRAVA!!!!!! :appl:

MizNina

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful as expected and I can totally see how much better the 'flow' is with this version :))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, Yssie!!! Those OEC earrings are GORGEOUS!!!! :love: :love: :love:

And I am really impressed with the palladium white gold. It looks more like the platinum than it does the ni-yg! I think the rose gold is beautiful against your skin. I need pictures though to decide whether I would like it with your ring. I think design of the band that I want would look good with yours, too. It is the 2mm milgrain band from Tiffany's (but it only comes in platinum):

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Category.aspx?cid=288152&mcat=148204 (middle ring on this page)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bliss|1325989872|3097603 said:
Wow!!!! I love how exposed the diamonds are!!!!!!! Perfect for cleaning!

Just lovely profile...lovely lovely lovely!!!!!! BRAVA!!!!!! :appl:

Thank you Bliss!! It is very easy to clean - though with the way I've been babying it there isn't ever much *to* clean! ::)

MizNina said:
Beautiful as expected and I can totally see how much better the 'flow' is with this version :))

Thank you :bigsmile: it really is SO different - it feels different on the finger, too! It's significantly heavier, which surprises me!

diamondseeker2006 said:
Oh, Yssie!!! Those OEC earrings are GORGEOUS!!!! :love: :love: :love:

And I am really impressed with the palladium white gold. It looks more like the platinum than it does the ni-yg! I think the rose gold is beautiful against your skin. I need pictures though to decide whether I would like it with your ring. I think design of the band that I want would look good with yours, too. It is the 2mm milgrain band from Tiffany's (but it only comes in platinum):

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Category.aspx?cid=288152&mcat=148204 (middle ring on this page)

Goodness, you are a mind-reader DS - that middle band was *exactly* what I was thinking about for the matching palladium-white gold ring!! I found a handful of vendors on Etsy willing to make one for me but the prices were :-o I don't want to spend that much without being *totally* sure, so I'm hesitating! I adore Yenny's grandmother's band with her ring, but her ring is very antiquey and mine really isn't - the VC band looks SO out of place with it, even ignoring the colour difference... I'd definitely only want the milgrained edges, no engraving or anything...

Thank you, on the earrings!! I really like the OECs in the eight prongs - I was wondering if that'd look okay!

The metal is more like plat than my WF Ni-wg - it's definitely whiter, but still IMO far from "icy" territory (which I don't like, so that's a good thing in my book!). Since I noticed the pink yesterday I've been seeing it more and more... so I think I'm going to go with the rose gold for now, instead of high-karat yellow. And figure out what to do about the pd-wg ring!

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock
i absolutely love it !!!! soooo gorgeous in every way, congrats on a happy ending !!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I somehow missed the earrings in this thread - wow! They are absolutely gorgeous! Can you update my memory with the color of those stones? They look fabulous!

You do not, however, have elephant ears. They are very pretty and well formed. My earlobe is like yours in that it isn't attached to my head - apparently earlobes just come two ways! - and I always felt that it made my ears look bigger too. I think it's just the unattached lobe that sometimes lends itself to looking bigger but actually they are just perfectly formed ears! No matter anyway - no one will see anything about your ears except for those yummy stones!

NTave

Shiny_Rock
Your ring came out amazing. Love it:)

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
I came back (again, probably my umpteenth time) to ogle your ring! So beautiful. I too like the rose gold with it, and with your skin. You have great taste!

Your OEC earrings are beautiful, too! I see what you mean about the basket, though, and I would change the setting, too.

Elephant ears? Ha! But I could be Dumbo's sister. Seriously ... my ears are FLAT on the top, just like Dumbo (or a cross between Dumbo and Dr. Spock, maybe). When I was a teenager, my mom actually took me to a plastic surgeon to see if something could be done about my ears - I had no idea why we were there (I thought it was for her, she'd been talking about a face lift) and when I found out, I was so mad at her, lol! Your ears are absolutely cute!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: It's HERE!!! My five-stone trellis reset by DBL

Yssie|1325650310|3094624 said:
I'll do a comparison thread with the VC in a bit, lots of thoughts there that I hope others looking for plain wire designs might find useful.

Skippy Thank you!!

Yes, I'll do a side by side! It's actually a totally different ring (the old was made by Victor Canera), so I have both to compare - though I'm realising I tend to photograph the same way every time so I'd probably have had enough material even without!

Looking forward to the side by side when you get a chance :halo:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you Frankie, NTave ::)

Aww, thank you MGR!! I think David decided one was a "yellow" K (maybe J?) and the other a "brown/grey" L, but my memory is a bit hazy! Definitely in that lower range though. One is a 1.19 and the other is 1.34, they do have similar diameters though - both around 6.75mm, the second is significantly deeper. I'm actually surprised by how similarly they perform, given the proportions differences!

The Show me your studs thread is a dangerous place in some ways - all those dainty earlobes that make half-caraters look bigger than mine do on me ::) I think you're right about the detached lobes looking bigger! My daily earrings are 0.1ctw bezels so even though I don't think they look particularly sizable in the photos they feel HUGE on - I don't even have coloured stones that big, and I've just got to stop and stare in every mirror and window!

blueiris - oh my, that's rather a horrifying story! I'm glad you can see what I mean - those pics aren't good angles but it's clear IRL. I have told David that I want the new settings to basically be sweaters for the stones, and he mentioned maybe handmaking them for each stone would be the best option... we'll see what he says later this week.

I decided to try having my eyebrows professionally waxed for a wedding a couple of years ago - it did not go well, I really *did* look like Spock!! That evening I discovered that if I contorted my brow a certain way it was maybe a bit less startling - I have all sorts of odd expressions in the few photos I didn't manage to avoid :knockout: :bigsmile:

Edit - Skippy, upcoming! I'll probably do it this weekend, I want to get the stone re-oriented first, that should be this week...

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock

Yssie|1326127968|3098503 said:
blueiris - oh my, that's rather a horrifying story! I'm glad you can see what I mean - those pics aren't good angles but it's clear IRL. I have told David that I want the new settings to basically be sweaters for the stones, and he mentioned maybe handmaking them for each stone would be the best option... we'll see what he says later this week.

I decided to try having my eyebrows professionally waxed for a wedding a couple of years ago - it did not go well, I really *did* look like Spock!! That evening I discovered that if I contorted my brow a certain way it was maybe a bit less startling - I have all sorts of odd expressions in the few photos I didn't manage to avoid :knockout: :bigsmile:

I'll be looking forward to seeing your new earring settings - and have no doubt they'll be stunners.

:lol: :lol: :lol: on your Spock eyebrows and odd expressions!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results