shape
carat
color
clarity

It pays to get old at my house -- new earrings!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I got my new earrings this weekend! They look great and sparkle like crazy! From some reason, I can''t seem to get anything but white blurs with my camera, (I think the macro function may not be working), so I''ve attached the picture the setter sent. They don''t show off the stones, but the martini settings look great.

They are from Dirt Cheap Diamonds. Jim Schultz was great to work with. We sent the stones to Rich Sherwood, who did a bang-up appraisal job, and really made the ultimate purchase recommendation for me. My assumption was that he knew what to look for more than I do. I’ve never bought SI2’s before, so wanted the expert opinion. (Plus, it made hubby, the gifter, more comfortable.)

Specs:
Stone 1 stone 2
ctw .57 .572
color G G
Clarity SI2 SI2
Table 56 56
Depth 61 61.4
Crown angle 34.6 34.5
Pavilion angle 40.6 40.9
Polish/symmetry ex/ex ex/vg
Certification GIA GIA
Flour none none
Diameter 5.36 – 5.39 5.34 – 5.39
H&A yes close
HCA .7 X X X VG 1.5 X X VG VG

Impressions / lessons:
I was really anal about how well matched they were, having had a pair once that visibly didn’t match. They are twins -- I can''t tell them apart. I can’t figure out which is which spec-wise. I guess I’ll have to take them in and look at the inscriptions.

I can’t find the inclusions. Maybe it’s my 46 year old eyes, but Rich agreed that SI2 is great for earrings, and it doesn''t impact their performance.

As you may remember, I struggled with size. They look great on my small earlobes. They are a little bigger than I originally had in mind, but they aren’t overly large, and I don’t think I will outgrow them if shrinkage sets in. A little smaller would have been ok too. I think the range is fairly broad that works in my case, having worn a million different cz sizes trying to figure it out. But – the real thing looks much bigger than my larger CZs since they show up so much more!

I can see some color face up when compared to my E colored e-ring stone, but on my ears, no one will EVER say – hmmmmm…..is that a tinge of yellow I see? (If they do, I’ll tell them it’s a reflection of my *lovely* blond hair.) I would have like a little fluoresce, but couldn’t find good matching stones with any, and the G faces up very white. I’m color picky, and am glad I went with G rather than the H and I’s I looked at. Most likely no one but me will ever notice.

They have tons of white light and less fire. They are opposite from my e-ring which has tons of fire, and less white light. This surprised me, but they look great, so I’m happy. Next to the czs that I was wearing as a size tester, the difference is blinding and obvious.

I fretted about what type of backs, and am very happy with the Guardian (aka La Pousette) backs. They are a little tricky, but very doable, and feel secure. I don’t sleep in them, so don’t have the patience for the screwbacks every morning.

I looked at stones from several vendors. Only about 50% were responsive and sent me enough info to be able to make a good decision. That surprised me, since their business is differentiated by customer service among other things.

So that is the end of my earring saga! I’ve achieved my diamond goals for 2004 (they were modest). Now I guess I have to start thinking about that 20th anniversary! (but it’s still a ways out – I might need a trinket here and there before then.)

Martini cropped.jpg

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
I've been waiting for this post!
2.gif
They look great, congrats on the new earrings and Happy Birthday!

Patty

Ideal_Rock
lop, they are beautiful! I think G, SI2 is a perfect choice for earrings. I can't imagine anyone seeing any yellow in G colored earrings. I love the martini setting!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 4/6/2004 9:48:20 PM lop wrote:

They have tons of white light and less fire. They are opposite from my e-ring which has tons of fire, and less white light.

----------------

Very nice earrings
1.gif

This fire issue is interesting: is there anything in the 'numbers' about these diamonds which could have indicated this?
rolleyes.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Lop, they are really lovely! I really love that setting.
love.gif
Personally, I can't see any color in those. (course I have an I and can't see color in that either LOL) Not a color snob at all. I am a newly, self-admitted cut and clarity snob though. Doesn't make sense though, I know. Mainly, if I can see inclusions from the side, I will drive myself crazy looking at them. For earrings though, I would definitely go with SI2 clarity. The only one looking at them that closely better be my husband, and he could not care less about jewelry period.
9.gif

I want a pair of earrings in a martini setting myself. Sigh, jewelry budget blown for year (or more). Wear them in the best of health.

Shay

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Happy Birthday, lop!

Congratulations & thanks for all the info.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
YAY LOP!
appl.gif
appl.gif
appl.gif
appl.gif

What LOVELY gems!!! Lucky gal! I have H earrings...so color snob very jealous..
cry.gif
I LOVE Martini settings! So lovely...
love.gif

Congrats and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
appl.gif
Wear them in good health and MORE PICS!!!!

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all the nice comments! I am seriously impared on this photo thing, so that is it for now, while I check out my camera.

Ana -- I have no idea why they have more white light than fire. They fall pretty much in the TIC range, and have slightly smaller tables than my e-ring (56 vs 57%), so there wasn't anything that I have read about in the specs. But.... variety is good.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Absolutely beautiful and great size!! LOVE the martini setting. I am seriously coveting that!!

You must have hawk eyes to see color in a G...I can't even see a hint of color in my H unless I turn it sideways and put it against white paper and then it isn't even a conclusive difference.

Interesting that you noted that only 50% of the vendors responded to you or got you information in a timely manner...check out my post in the GOG thread in RT on that same issue...I hear it more and more often from people about Pscope vendors and it's somewhat disappointing?
rolleyes.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Both stones look lovely..Congrats on a beautiful set of earrings..
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results