shape
carat
color
clarity

Is rose gold always the same colour?

Toastie

Rough_Rock
Trade
I have seen lots of pictures of rose gold rings, and they all look different colours? Is this the way it is, or just the way they look in photos, I havent seen more than one at a time in real life?

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The colour will depend on the metals alloyed with the gold and their proportions. I don''t think there is a ''standard'' tone for rose gold, I''ve seen quite a variety. They range from quite brash pink to soft, rosy tones. Different colours will work with different stones and styles, I think.

Jen

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope.

I have rose gold pieces of the same kt that differ slightly, but visibly, in hue IRL.. I have white gold pieces of the same kt that differ slightly but visibly in hue IRL, for that matter.

I have noticed (maybe it's just my experience) that older rg pieces have a more 'coppery' colour, while newer pieces of the same kt are most often more obviously PINK

kaquinn

Rough_Rock
does it have something to do with 14 18 or 24kt gold etc? I know Cartier says they have a "unique" blend of rose gold

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/27/2010 9:48:41 PM
Author: kaquinn
does it have something to do with 14 18 or 24kt gold etc? I know Cartier says they have a 'unique' blend of rose gold
karat indicates the percent composition of gold in a piece, but says nothing about the alloys making up the remainder, so even within '14kt' gold different alloy mixes will produce different colours - it is these alloys that produce white vs. pink gold, and the different shades of white and pink

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jen from DBL gave the best answer to your question.

I was told by a few friends who manufacture jewelry, that every manufacturer has their own "recipe" for alloying the gold and it''s the things they add in that dictate the tone of the rose gold they wind up with. For myself, I love the shade of rose gold that''s usually called blush gold. It''s a pale pink. But some makers tend to turn out rose gold in really sharp shades of harsh almost dark coppery pink. That harsh color is too much for me.

Unfortunately, you can''t trust photos to know what you''re getting when ordering rose gold. It''s best to see a piece in person.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
and 14k v. 18k rose/red gold will definitely show a difference. yes, each has their own "recipe"...the only constant, i believe, is the amount of actual gold to qualify it for the 14k or 18k designation. it is the amount of copper and other additives that determine the actual color.

mz

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I love Cartier''s rose gold. I have the Trinity ring with the scattered diamonds. The rose gold is a light, pink blush shade. It''s not at all coppery. I don''t care for the copper tone in rose gold. I would ask about the color and not just rely on the pics.

stlc

Rough_Rock
oh this is such a brilliant post as I am busy investigating this at the mo :read:
I love the pale pink and really don't like the reddy pink personally.

Interesting Article: http://goldprice.org/gold-jewelry/2005/12/rose-gold-jewelry.html
"The different shades of rose gold are created by adjusting the amount of copper in the gold and metals alloy.

A higher karat gold, such as 22 karat rose gold jewelry, is a slight rose colour because it can only have
8.4% of copper to 91.6% of gold.
As the karatage is reduced, the range of red golds are increased."

"Copper is dark pinkish or red, so cause gold to become redder.
Silver, zinc, and other white/gray metals will make it paler."

Love these rings and the fact that you can see the diff colours
yellow-gray & red-gray
http://en.niessing.com/wedding-rings/origin/niessing-aura-wedding-ring-n261590/
http://en.niessing.com/wedding-rings/origin/niessing-iris-n021231/

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I strongly recommend you try on your jeweler's rose gold to make sure that you like the way it looks on your hand. As everyone else has already said, the tints vary widely.

For example, I personally do not like the pinkier rose golds for fine jewelry as the pink tints make it look like costume jewelry to me. I also don't like the way it looks on my hand.

stlc

Rough_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results