shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it the Ring or Me?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kathleyn

Rough_Rock
I hope you ladies can help me. I''ve seen requests for opinions from others here, and now I guess it''s my turn.
Unfortunately, I don''t have a picture to post (at least yet), because I can''t seem to get one that''s clear and can''t ask my husband to take it for me, in this case. - I hope you''ll be able to just picture it in your mind''s eye, for now. Anyway, here''s my problem:
I had two small solitaires, both from my husband (long story), both of which I''ve worn (one a time, of course) with my wedding band for the entire 20+ years we''ve been married. Unfortunately, I also gained weight all that time, and needed to size-up my rings. Since I was doing that, we decided at the same time, to have the two, very small diamonds re-set in one ring with both stones. I wanted an anniversary band that I could still wear with my wedding ring (which is about a quarter-inch wide with a subtle swirl pattern), but as neither of my stones had any additional side diamonds and both adding a few AND having the work done would have been too much more than our budget could accommodate, I ended up, with the jewelers help, settling on a plain gold, split double band, for the two stones to be set on.
Today, my husband picked up the finished ring which, for us at least, was a good-sized chunk of money. (For information''s sake, it came to about $400, total, with our own, original diamonds and no additonal side diamonds or other stones and only the new band added). Unfortunately, now that I finally have it, I''m not sure I like it. I really thought I would, and I am not the spoiled or ungrateful kind and was quite ready to be delighted and was quit surprised not to be.
I guess I''m not sure what I actually expected, but guess I''d hoped for it to be maybe a bit more "elegant", for lack of a better word, I guess. The band is still beautiful, but the stones are set almost exactly on-center from each other and now, with the split band, it just looks - to me - almost like I''m just wearing two engagement rings on top of my wedding band - but - even more weirdly - with a little space between them and no real off-setting to the stones which are lined up, at a quick glance, almost exactly in line with each other.
I''d like to take it back and see if the jeweler can off-set the two stones a little more from each other or something but am not sure if he can even do that, now that it''s made or will, without a further charge, as the ring was custom-made. I''d really like to change the whole thing to just a side-by-side, single band setting, maybe soldered to the wedding band or something, but am worried about hurting my husband''s feelings as he thinks I''m happy with it, now and seemed so disappointed when I first I wasn''t, so much. Plus, I''m not at all sure the jeweler will or even CAN do that without a lot more additional charges, which we just don''t have. But I''m afraid the way it is now may look bizarre to anyone else who see''s it.
Help help help! -- Any thoughts on any of this from anyone??? Any input would be VERY appreciated. I will try to add a picture, if I''m able to get one, soon.
Thanks in advance,
Kathleyn

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two diamonds lined up vertically on the middle of the finger does not sound ''weird'' at all... It may be different than you expected, but it would not be an unexpected choice for me. There are enough rings done on purpose like that.

Hope the pictures will work out
2.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
A picture will help us if you can get one.

At this point, I suggest that you talk to your jeweler about what can be done to change it without incurring any additional charges.

It can''t hurt to ask!

stretch4

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/22/2005 10:14:38 AM
Author: Patty
A picture will help us if you can get one.

At this point, I suggest that you talk to your jeweler about what can be done to change it without incurring any additional charges.

It can''t hurt to ask!
I agree with Patty. Talk to the jeweler and also talk with your husband. I bet he is more understanding than you think!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Just wondering what you decided. It is hard for me to picture it. I would love to see a photo! Now that a few days have gone by, are you any happier? Did you decide to talk to your husband and the jeweler? Jewelry is very personal, and what looks great to one person might not be another person''s preference. Therefore, you should not feel bad if you are not satisfied, also you should not feel bad if you like the ring but think it may look unusual to others.
I think, and hope that your jeweler wants very much for you to be 100% satisfied. There may be things he or she can do to change the ring without incurring additional charge. It never hurts to ask, if that is what you have decided!
When reading your description, I wonder if it might look nice to wear your wedding band on one hand and this ring on the other hand?

susi

Shiny_Rock
Kathleyn, I''m wondering if your jeweler had a sketch made up for you to approve before he began the work? Well....even then, sometimes the finished pieces can be not quite what we were expecting.....

Jewelry is so personal....and that said, I don''t feel you should be concerned about what others think so much as what you think. And, if you are not pleased then I feel you should talk to your jeweler. You''ll never know if he can make your ring the way you want it, unless you ask.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results