shape
carat
color
clarity

In search of antique settings....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

toryigirl

Rough_Rock
I am a totally newbie at the engagement ring search (as is my partner - soon to be fiancee). I''ve been searching online and in we''ve visited some the local stores in our areain search of the perfect ring. We live about an hour outside of Boston, MA and during the holidays we''ll be in New York City. We''re hoping the trip to NYC will give us new hope on finding "the one."

I''m a pretty set on a platinum antique like setting . I''m a fan of multiple stones (I found a three stone with pave on one side with detailing in the band that I LOVED but it was bought before we could get back!
15.gif
) but if I''d fall in love with the right antique setting!!!

Does anyone have any suggestions for jewelers or places in the NYC or Boston area that you would suggest checking out? Any guidance would be much appreciated!!!!!

Since you all have been showing such amazing rings on this post I figured I''d get the best expertise on resources!

reena

Ideal_Rock
there are a TON of places in the NYC diamond district that offer antique-style settings. i''m not sure i would necessarily recommend actually buying a setting there, but it''s a great place to look for ideas. a particular favorite of mine in the diamond district is m. khordipour enterprises--the website is www.estatediamondjewelry.com. their pieces are breathtaking.

also there is doyle & doyle (www.doyledoyle.com), stardust antiques (www.stardustantiques.com) and roslyn antiques on the upper west side. there are a bunch more too--check out this link for more info.

also one last thing--leon mege at www.artofplatinum.com can custom-make antique-looking pieces for you. (he did my ring and i couldn''t be happier.) i would particularly recommend him if you''re interested in a setting with bead set diamonds or pave. he is located in an office building in the diamond district, but you would have to make an appointment.

good luck!

toryigirl

Rough_Rock
I've done a lot of the research about each metal type, the 4C's and pricing but what are the best locations to actually BUY the ring once I've found the perfect style? Is having it made actually cheaper/affordable? We're looking to spend between $3000 - $5000.

Thanks for the wonderful feedback so far! It's helping a ton!
1.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
are you looking for a center stone too or just the setting?

are you set on an actual antique piece (both for the stone and for the setting)?

toryigirl

Rough_Rock
We''re looking for just the setting. And wanting the ring to be have the antique/filigree look but not an antique itself.

reena

Ideal_Rock
okay. well, then you might be okay purchasing just the setting from a diamond district store (or from any of those other antique stores i mentioned before) if you see one that you like.

alternately, custom is always an option too. price-wise, i''ve definitely found custom to be less expensive than purchasing a designer setting (tacori would be a good example here). however, if you''re dealing with a non-brand name premade setting, it''s hard to say whether it would be cheaper to buy the piece itself or have something made custom. it would probably just depend on the piece. basically, the obvious advantage of going custom is that you can combine a whole bunch of features that you like into one setting that''s unique to you. the disadvantage, of course, is the accompanying uncertainty as to whether you will like the finished product!

so i would suggest going and take a look around the NYC stores; if you see something that grabs you, go for it. if you can''t find one that''s quite right, go custom. and good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results