shape
carat
color
clarity

I''m new to this... Advice/Opinions, Please!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, all!! I am a longtime lurker. I came across this website during my search for "THE RING" - well, to get ideas on what I liked, at least. Thank you all so much for posting your pics!!! I love them!
So here is mine! After 8 years, my BF finally popped the question. He wanted me to pick it out, mainly because some of my girlfriends are disappointed with theirs
6.gif
So we went on the hunt. One of the lfamily-owned jewelers was going out of business (retiring and moving to Florida), and we got a STEAL on it!
I do have a few questions, though. We went on their last day of business, at 1pm (doors closed for good at 3:30). I got a written appraisal from the jeweler, for insurance purposes, but its not a "certification". I was told to have it insured for $7000 - more than double what we paid.
Here are the stats:

K
VS-1
set in a platinum band with .15 in baguettes

I know the place is respectible. There were even dealers there. So here are my questions:
Is it typical for jewelers to sell non-certified diamonds?
Do jewelers typically jack up the price a little on their written appraisals? I was told the retail value would be $5600 (the lowest "sale price"), but the sticker on it said $11,300. Whats up with that?
On a more personal, level, what type of band should I look at? Will I have to get one made to match the curve in the ER?

I appreciate all your input and advice. I am definitely going to get a second appraisal ASAP, as the jewelers are already in Florida.
Thanks again!

Now, the pics
26.gif

lynnring99393.jpg

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty ring, very unique! I think that a matching band of baguettes curved around the point of the pear would look beautiful! As for selling non-certed diamonds...yes, there are jewelers that do sell non-certed stones. I would not really say that it is typical or not typical. And yes, they do usually appraise for higher than you paid. I do think that you getting an independant appraisal is a good idea, but since they have gone out of business it will probably not do anything more than offer you piece of mind on what you purchased. It looks pretty darn white for a K!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Lovely ring! I love pears.

Yes, jewelers typically inflate their appraisals. It's good that you're taking it to an independent appraiser for insurance purposes. They should be able to determine the replacement value for you.

hmmm what band? What about a custom made band that matches the shank of your ering?
I think that would be so pretty.

Congratulations on your engagement!

ps--your K looks very white!

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! You''re quick!!
I am so happy with the ring (and the fact that we only spent half our budget!). We can really use the $ as we are paying for the wedding ourselves.

I was a little nervous at first, buying it on the spot like that. But it was such a good deal, I felt like I couldn''t pass it up. I don''t mind that it''s a K - it does look very white
1.gif

I''ll keep you posted once I get another appraisal - I hope to go this weekend.

Thanks again!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very pretty and unique. I agree you should get an *independent* appraisal.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would get a matching curved wb - that would look perfect and not overwhelm your beautiful ring. Try contacting Whiteflash to make it.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh WOW, I love it!! SO different!! And a steal to boot, what could be better?
9.gif
I LOVE it, and think a curved band would be amazing with it. Great job!!

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
Theank, ladies, for all your well wishes and compliments!!
35.gif

Motown, I am not familiar with buying online. How does it work? If I contact whiteflash, will I have to send it out? make a mold at a local jeweler? Any idea of how much it would run?

Good god, I must sound like a 4 year old with all these questions!
33.gif

Thanks again!!

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
Hi again!!!I am so excited!! the sun was shinin through my window and I decided to mess with my camera and I got some GREAT shots!!
I have a new favorite!!!
36.gif

It''s amazing how light affects the stone!!
I''ll start with this:

Top View

ringtopview839487.jpg

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
Drumroll, please..............
Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!!!
9.gif

ring8579430.jpg

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE the new pics - it looks huge on your hand! Yes, you would have to send in your ring to get a custom matching band - call Whiteflash - it doesn''t cost you anything to talk to them! I don''t have anything from them, but all the custom work posted on PS looks very nice!

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Look at all those sparkles it is throwing on your fingers! Wow! I''m sure it is blinding in the light.

Gemma12

Brilliant_Rock
What a sparkly pear! Congratulations on your engagement and your beautiful ring!

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on your engagement! The ring is so beautiful and unique. It almost looks like a vintage estate piece. Lovely!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results