shape
carat
color
clarity

I increased by daily carat intake by about 0.8 carats- Studs!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
For many years I have had a little family stone kicking around my jewelry box. I never had it graded but an appraiser estimate it to be about .45-.5 carats, H/I in color and an "SI3" (is that even a clarity grade? I thought 1 and 2 were the only SIs??). Anyhow, I didn''t really care about the grade because its a family stone and my grandmother gave it to me. Its "eye clean" to me, I have to get that sucker really close to my eyes to see the stuff inside of it. Now that I have a handy little scope from BGD (more on that in a minute) I can see where all of the inclusions are.

Around Christmas time I decided to find a "matching" stone and make a pair of studs. I kept waffling on what kind of setting I would put the family stone in had I decided to set it. I went out looking for a similar stone for studs and decided to make something happen with BGD. The stones in my price range for a matching size were all lower in color but I figured A) I am not color sensitive and B) my face will be in between the stones so a few grades in difference would be fine. Plus, with a stone cut to perfection I knew it would hide some of the body color. Also, we are talking about a 0.4 carat stone so I didn''t think color would make a huge show.

When my BGD stone arrived it knocked my socks off! I sent off a rave email to Lesley along the lines of "Holy fireball Batman!" I never knew that a stone so small could pack such a PUNCH!

Then DH and I decided to renovate our bathroom. Like, take it down to the studs and leave nothing behind but the pipes and bathtub. I decided to put off setting my babies because I wanted to leave more cash for the reno.

When searching for a quote on setting my stones I immediately turned to an Etst jeweler that made my colorful sliding bezel pendant bridesmaid gifts (in my avatar right now). I saw some other examples of their work including some intricate detailed pieces. I knew I wanted delicate little prong tips and felt totally confident that this jeweler could pull it off. Plus, the cost for me to set my stones with them vs a more traditional vendor was about half.

So without further delay, here are my (approximately) 0.8 carat total weight, platinum 3-prong martini studs.
The stone I bought is a 0.39 carat K/VS 1 BGD signature round brilliant. I will work on some better pictures when I have sun. The darkness in the stones is the reflection of the camera. They are both very bright and sparkley, even in boring ole indoor lighting.

studsfromfront.jpg

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
From the side.

BGD stone is on the right in the previous picture, in case you couldn''t tell from the cut quality difference.

earringsside.jpg

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
With my only other daily diamond- my e-ring. Now I am up to about 1.86 carats for daily wear. Hopefully to be increased to about 2.6 carats when I get my PhD graduation 5-stone ring this summer!

Wedding band is a 2 mm platinum Raphael band from Facets. E-ring setting is custom from a local jeweler. E-ring stone is a J VS 2 square cusion. 6.0 mm along each side to give a size comparison to the earrings.

ringandearringsfromtheside.jpg

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Oohhh, yay! Wow, BGD did a good job matching their stone to your older one - they look almost exactly the same. Do we get an ear shot, possibly a sunshine-y shot? I wanna see the rainbows
30.gif

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2010 2:05:53 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
Oohhh, yay! Wow, BGD did a good job matching their stone to your older one - they look almost exactly the same. Do we get an ear shot, possibly a sunshine-y shot? I wanna see the rainbows
30.gif
I''ll get working on that. No sunshine here to speak of... just lots and lots of rain.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous studs! They did a great job at matching your special stone. The setting looks really delicate as well. Great increase in your carat intake! Very healthy!
31.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
very pretty earrings -that`s about the size that I have and I think they`re perfect!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the photo of the earrings next to your e-ring, the earrings look pretty well matched for color. I think you did a good job. Very pretty!

MrsBettyBoop

Brilliant_Rock
That''s a great match, they look beautiful! Congratulations on your upcoming PhD!! My Master''s commencement is this May and I also decided to treat myself a little.
4.gif

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the compliments everyone! I know they''re just plain ole studs but besides my engagement ring, they are my first bigger bling. I think they are the biggest I would go for with every day earrings and I''m happy to be using that family stone every day! The match is pretty good. The BGD stone is slightly smaller in diameter and I can tell when I put them right next to each other, unset. I could also see a pretty good difference in color when looking at them unset, sitting on their tables. But mounted and in the lobe, nothing! Its VERY sunny out today here in Philly so I''ll take some pictures when I get home from school and get DH to take an ear shot. I''ve never been an every day earring wearer because of my one very sensitive lobe. I''m hoping that if I leave them in long enough it will heal up. The platinum doesn''t seem to be causing the issues that every other metal I''ve put in there does so perhaps in time...

Date: 3/31/2010 9:39:52 AM
Author: Sparkles&Glitter
That''s a great match, they look beautiful! Congratulations on your upcoming PhD!! My Master''s commencement is this May and I also decided to treat myself a little.
4.gif
What treat did you get yourself? I can''t wait for my 5-stone ring! I originally bought the same style but in the 0.25 ctw as my WB and then freaked out about the cost (started kicking myself for asking for platinum for an e-ring... stinking expensive metal!) and sent it back and got a plain band instead. I plan on getting WG for this ring so I can get a lot more diamond in there! Can''t wait!

MrsBettyBoop

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/31/2010 10:15:25 AM
Author: Clairitek

That's a great match, they look beautiful! Congratulations on your upcoming PhD!! My Master's commencement is this May and I also decided to treat myself a little.
4.gif

What treat did you get yourself? I can't wait for my 5-stone ring! I originally bought the same style but in the 0.25 ctw as my WB and then freaked out about the cost (started kicking myself for asking for platinum for an e-ring... stinking expensive metal!) and sent it back and got a plain band instead. I plan on getting WG for this ring so I can get a lot more diamond in there! Can't wait!

Well this year is also our 5 year anniversary so I got an upgrade from a .5 to a 1.2. Then, I also got a matching friend for my .5 to make some studs. So I consider the new ring and band for my anniversary and the earrings for graduation.
9.gif

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2010 2:16:06 PM
Date: 3/31/2010 10:15:25 AM

Author: Clairitek

4.gif

What treat did you get yourself? I can''t wait for my 5-stone ring! I originally bought the same style but in the 0.25 ctw as my WB and then freaked out about the cost (started kicking myself for asking for platinum for an e-ring... stinking expensive metal!) and sent it back and got a plain band instead. I plan on getting WG for this ring so I can get a lot more diamond in there! Can''t wait!

Well this year is also our 5 year anniversary so I got an upgrade from a .5 to a 1.2. Then, I also got a matching friend for my .5 to make some studs. So I consider the new ring and band for my anniversary and the earrings for graduation.
9.gif

Thats quite the upgrade! How exciting to also have a 1 ctw pair of studs! Congrats on 5 years and getting your Master''s degree!

lightningbug

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/30/2010 1:35:03 PM
Author:Clairitek
and B) my face will be in between the stones so a few grades in difference would be fine.

For some reason this made me laugh.
9.gif

Your studs are gorgeous! I can''t wait to see pictures of them in your ears.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
GORGEOUS! The settings look fantastic, too! Wear them in good health!

P.S. How did I miss this thread?! I need to keep up in SMTR!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
As promised, an ear shot (because I really love it when people actually come back with promised photos!)

Also a few more taken at home. I was able to get better pictures with my point and shoot than my officemates DSLR. Just goes to show that I am totally inept with operating anything too complicated!

ctekearshot.jpg

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Trying to capture some of the arrows in the BGD stone (on the left).

Man, these did NOT size down well. Oh well.

ctekstudsarrows2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results