shape
carat
color
clarity

How should I feel??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blondebunny

Brilliant_Rock
So..I am more irritated because I just typed this long thing out all..and then the power went out right before i posted...argg...
OK soo..My bf and I have picked out a setting we liked at Jareds.. Similiar to this, but they are more pave set...
91560.JPG

Anyways...I went in there today after work to have them take the diamond out of my mom and dad engagement ring...Well my guy that we work with was busy, so another guy helped me until he was off break. Well he steamed it and showed it to me under the microscope, and it looks beautiful, alot prettier than I expected. I had previously taken it to another place and they looked at it and said it was probably an H and SI1 at the least...so that was nice , but we werent sure on size, since the way it was set, I always estimated .75-1.0 carat. Anyways, my guy came and took it back for them to look at it and see if it would fit and whatever, and came back and said it would fit just had to change prongs because it was bigger, so I was excited and ask if he could please just take the diamond out so I could see it out of the setting in my ering setting, so I could make sure I liked it...
WELLL...they took it back, and Im sitting there for a while, I mean a while, because I helped a guy pick out an engagement ring for his gf...lol :) A couple times I looked back to see what they were doing in the jewlery repair since its all glass, and I see them like looking all over the place for something, and it hits me..OMG they probably lost my stone...and well sure enough about an hour of waiting total they came and told me that when they were taking it out of the setting, the stone popped out and bounced on the window sill, to the bench, and then to who knows where?? Well right after my guy told me it was lost the manager came over and assured me they would either fnd it, or replace it for me..It made me feel better...I waited a little longer but was getting hungry so they told me they would call me right away if they found the diamond or not.

I just have mixed emotions, Like i looked at it int he thing and it looked so beautful, I couldnt see any inclusions, and it sparkled so pretty, but I mean they say they will replace it, but with what? Ya know like clarity, cut, color??!?!? So im starting to freak out a little bit.. HOw should I feel?

Here are some pictures of the original setting post taking out the diamond (I knew I should have taken pics of it this morning..just got lazy...errgghhhh)

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
oh, that''s the worst, because you don''t even know for sure what you had...how can you know what they''ll give you in the end will be the same quality! Argh...that''s so frustrating. I''ve been to a jeweler, too, where they have dropped my expensive pendant and couldn''t find it for ten minutes. It happens probably more often than we even know.

I''m really sorry that this has happened to you, and I hope that they find a way to make you happy in the end. Jeez...what terrible luck.

LuckyTexan

Brilliant_Rock
I have to tell you, I had the absolute WORST custom jewelry experience of my LIFE with Jared.

If you can avoid any further business with them... I WOULD!

I can't even begin to tell you how badly they messed with me... and RUINED my family pendant that my husband had made for me after the birth of my first child!!

I took my pendant in to have them add my second son's birthstone to it...

It took me 6 months and a lot of time in there before it was finally sorted out!

blondebunny

Brilliant_Rock
ya, I got it back, right after I posted they called...My only thing is..they were super nice and im a pretty understanding person...but I knew the diamond was old (its an old european cut-it was an antique), and so I hadnt seen it out of the setting before so I didnt know if it had chips or not, and well the guy told me it has 3 ones...but for all I know that could have been there, or they could have done it...so ughhh about that...But it didnt look good in the setting we liked since it was that old cut...we are going to JUST get my setting from there...NOT my diamond bcuz obviously they are WAY over priced and not nearly as pretty as the ones we have found online...so we are going to get it online, and get the setting from them, since its the only we have found that we like..and agree upon..lol.. only thing that sucks..if we could have used my diamond i would have gotten the ring sooner...boo...guess Ill be waiten..hehehe :)

LGK

Ideal_Rock
SO glad they found it! What a wretched experience. Ugh.

It sounds like a gorgeous stone. If it makes you feel better, most antique diamonds have a few chips on the girdle; all the ones I''ve had (3, all OECs) have had chips ranging from can''t-see-without-a-loupe size on up to big enough to see with your eyeball. Its not unusual at all in antique stones. A lot of them have super, super thin girdles which is part of the problem- that, and being worn every day for 100+ years! and the appraiser I spoke to (who is experienced with antique diamonds) said she strongly recommended against trying to recut to fix them. She felt that it''s just part of owning an antique diamond usually, and not worth the risk of recutting or the potential weight loss. (That being said, I''ve seen a few posts by OEC owners where they successfully had their stones recut to fix chips and the super thin girdles.) I usually just ask my jeweler to try to put the prongs over the chips for some protection. Post pics when you''re done setting it
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results