shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! White Flash vs. Leon Mege

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

navrn

Rough_Rock
At the risk of sounding utterly ignorant I was wondering if anyone had opinions on these two settings? I''m new to PS and rings... They look the same in the pictures, but I''m not familiar with either jeweler. I''m looking for something similar to Tiffany''s solitaire with bead set band...

Leon Mege

Whiteflash

Anyone have either of these settings and any pictures of what they look like on, or input on one vs. the other?

Thanks so much!

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
I think both settings are beautiful. Both vendors are well respected. I had a very positive experience with WF. I love the ring they made for me.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
from those 2 pictures, i prefer the LM setting. it looks slimmer and more delicate.

i have no personal experience with LM, though he''s is someone i would work with in the future. i have worked with WF, though, on numerous occasions. their work is really great.

if i were you, i would get price quotes from each vendor and go from there.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d go with Leon...

RxTechRN2b

Brilliant_Rock
While the rings share similar design elements, the LM band looks more delicate, with elegantly curving prongs around the solitaire. The WF ring appears thicker and chunky, more modern. I am attracted to the antique appeal of the LM!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Please take note that the WF is a CAD drawing (and a rather dated one by the looks of it).

The CADs coming out of WF these days are much more fluid and natural looking. But they STILL look heavier than IRL by their very nature.

Just to try and balance the discussion a bit.....
1.gif

LS

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2008 1:18:23 PM
Author: LostSapphire
Please take note that the WF is a CAD drawing (and a rather dated one by the looks of it).

The CADs coming out of WF these days are much more fluid and natural looking. But they STILL look heavier than IRL by their very nature.

1.gif

LS
I don''t think that is a cad drawing. It looks to me like the photo they send you when its ready to ship. I could be wrong of course
9.gif

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/28/2008 1:24:22 PM
Author: Maisie

1.gif

LS

I don''t think that is a cad drawing. It looks to me like the photo they send you when its ready to ship. I could be wrong of course
9.gif

I agree. That is definitely an actual ring they took a picture of. I guess I''d have to say I like the Leon ring better, but I''m also guessing it is much more expensive than WF.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2008 12:44:50 PM
Author: RxTechRN2b
While the rings share similar design elements, the LM band looks more delicate, with elegantly curving prongs around the solitaire. The WF ring appears thicker and chunky, more modern. I am attracted to the antique appeal of the LM!
What she said.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
As many have said, both settings share common elements. It really just depends if you are looking for something more modern (WF), or something with a vintage flair (LM). If torn, I would speak to both vendors to describe the look you are seeking and then go with the one that you feel most comfortable working ith.

Skiace15

Rough_Rock
For reference, here is a handshot of the WF setting (size 6.5, 1.26 ct. center stone)

pic040.JPG

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the modern appeal of the WF, but also how delicate the LM looks.

Tough call.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I prefer the Leon of the 2, but I''d go with WF either way. Leon is out of my price range, and WF does excellent custom work, so I''m sure they could tweak their setting a bit for a nominal price.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the Leon best, yum!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Both are lovely, but Leon's aesthetic sense definitely appeals to me more.

cara

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2008 1:37:40 PM
Author: surfgirl
Date: 7/28/2008 12:44:50 PM

Author: RxTechRN2b

What she said.

Make it three.

These are subtly different looks. One consideration is that that the center stone size will affect one's perception - the LM has a 2-ct center, do we know what size center stone is in the WF picture?

I personally like the LM better for me, he is great at doing these delicate pave confections, but if I wanted a chunkier, sparklier band the WF is quite lovely. Also might be closer to the original Tiffany proportion if I recall correctly. Get quotes and see if the price difference convinces you
2.gif

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
whiteflash= amazing customer service.

Leon, huh hum, well some ps''ers have not held him highly as far as likeability...but his piece is beautiful

Just my 2 cents.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/28/2008 6:06:08 PM
Author: iwannaprettyone

Leon, huh hum, well some ps''ers have not held him highly as far as likeability...but his piece is beautiful

Just my 2 cents.

I prefer the Whiteflash mounting myself. I prefer six prongs for a round and I also like more metal, but that''s just me.

From a customer''s point of view, I''ve used WF and I know what I or any PSer can expect from them. Leon''s reputation for customer service and customer satisfaction has been more than slightly tainted lately. Although I had always imagined myself owning a Leon Mege ring someday, I''ve changed my mind because of a few of our members more recent experiences. As someone who had a custom piece designed by WF from the ground up, I can tell you with certainty that our conversations about design and tweaking happened daily. I wouldn''t want anyone, including Leon Mege telling me not to get involved in the design process, and then expecting me to pay for something I might not want.

Please don''t forget about Mark Morrell as a possibility. His work is impeccable and I''ve not heard anyone ever say anything negative about the man, his work or his attitude (which translates into customer service). MM can create literally anything for you.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock

1.gif

LS

I stand corrected! Sorry about that!
....darn, gotta get myself in to the Eye Doctor soon!
2.gif

My mistake. Sorry for the misconception.

LS

cara

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2008 8:34:39 PM
Author: gemgirl
Date: 7/28/2008 6:06:08 PM

Author: iwannaprettyone

Leon, huh hum, well some ps'ers have not held him highly as far as likeability...but his piece is beautiful

Just my 2 cents.

I prefer the Whiteflash mounting myself. I prefer six prongs for a round and I also like more metal, but that's just me.

From a customer's point of view, I've used WF and I know what I or any PSer can expect from them. Leon's reputation for customer service and customer satisfaction has been more than slightly tainted lately. Although I had always imagined myself owning a Leon Mege ring someday, I've changed my mind because of a few of our members more recent experiences. As someone who had a custom piece designed by WF from the ground up, I can tell you with certainty that our conversations about design and tweaking happened daily. I wouldn't want anyone, including Leon Mege telling me not to get involved in the design process, and then expecting me to pay for something I might not want.

Please don't forget about Mark Morrell as a possibility. His work is impeccable and I've not heard anyone ever say anything negative about the man, his work or his attitude (which translates into customer service). MM can create literally anything for you.

See I think that MWM and Leon produce very different work. And WF is a little more flexible stylistically and does fabulous custom work with more customer input and less artistic viewpoint from their end but I wouldn't go to them if what I really wanted was some super delicate halo basket with Leon's claw prongs and I wouldn't go to them for the lovely Flame ring with exquisite polish. Not to say that WF couldn't do a lovely, lovely version of either of those and doesn't have fabulous artists on staff using their design eye, but these vendors are not producing commodity products.

Think a little bit more about the style of the ring you want, figure out which vendor best produces that style, and then temper that desire with some estimates of how close another vendor might come to your ideal style as well as cost differences, timing concerns (MWM can take a while as he is a one-man shop), and customer service.

Good luck!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I vote for the Leon! That is my second favorite setting from him, right behind the one I have in my avatar (and sadly do not own!). Both I don''t think you can go wrong with either - they''re both very beautiful.

navrn

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the input everyone! I''d really like to know the width of these bands too, I know it''s nitpicky huh? But some rings have been almost too delicate for me - just too thin.

Thanks for posting that pic of your ring Skiace! That actually helps to see the real thing. :)

Does anyone have LM''s version of this style?

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I prefer the LM as I think it looks more delicate but I''d probably give my business to WF over LM though.
Plus there''s a Tiffany beadset on Signedpieces if you''re looking for the real deal-not sure what size you want the center stone but this one''s 1ct here

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results