shape
carat
color
clarity

Heirloom Bling: MY RIGHT HAND RING!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Finally!!! My long-awaited right hand ring project is complete and now making me a danger to myself and others on the freeway!

For the full saga on the old thread: Linky

Here is the nutshell version. My darling aunt died of cancer in January. She left me a diamond solitaire she'd worn, which had been her mother's (my maternal grandmother's) before her. She knew how much it would mean to me and how much I adored bling, so it was a bittersweet but precious gift to be given. A few weeks after we lost her I found the most amazing vintage ring mounting on e-bay! I had lots of wonderful input from my pricescope buddies (and big thanks to Ana for her AMAZING photoshop magic and input on this type of antique bead-set style) about how the remounting might work.

All I can say is that there was some SERIOUS kismet involved here: I bought the setting sight-unseen on e-bay and didn't know if the stone could even be accomodated by the opening....it was a good hunch, but still a total guess; we figured the jeweler would probably have to shave some metal away around the opening. When I finally took the rings in, the jeweler wasn't sure either--she thought that perhaps we'd prong set it a bit above the opening if it was too large to fit flush with a bead setting (which was my preference.) Neither of us thought it would just fit out-right!

Well guess what: IT DID!!!! The stone fit the mounting PERFECTLY as if it were made for it--it is totally flush with 8 tiny beads holding it in, and it is simply amazing. I love antique settings, and this has just deepened my love affair......the filagree, the detail, the milgrain
30.gif
30.gif
!! Seeing the finished product also reminds me of some other PS rings I love like Laurenthepartier's e-ring and Hest88's sister's ring in terms of the look of almost a metal halo/bezel. Mine is technically an illusion setting with the metal around the stone, but my GOODNESS it makes it look so big. The stone really isn't that big, but in this setting it changes! It's amazing!!! (I had the stone mounted, and then the ring sized down to a 6 1/2 and re-plated in rhodium.)

When I inherited the stone all I knew was that it was sparkly and meaningful. After finding a couple of black inclusions after around a week I suspected it was SI range, but really, I had no idea of the specs. But now I do! I didn't get any detailed cut information (just the basics for insurance appraisal) but really--with a stone like this that wasn't the point for me. It's a wonderful AGS Lab, so for my purposes, this was enough.

SO.....I'll stop typing and start uploading in a second here, but here is the juicy dirt that I was so eager to finally learn:

"ITEM -- One white gold (believed to be 14K), diamond ring set with:
One round brilliant cut diamond, measuring approximately 5.06 x 5.03 x 2.97mm, weight .46 carats, SI1 clarity, G color.

Two triangular shaped blue sapphires (believed to be synthetic), measuring approximately 2.5 x 2.0 x 1.0 mm, estimated total weight .05 carat, very dark, moderately strong, blue color, chipped and abraded."

The diamond is bead set in an octagonal shape ring top, flanked by the sapphires. The ring has a pierced work undergallery with an engraved foliate motif down the shank. The ring top measures approximately 9.0 x 8.5 x 5.5mm and tapers to a 1.0mm shank. Approximate weight 1.4 dwt."

(Note: The shank--at 1mm--in the very back is very narrow. I will eventually get it re-shanked and have our three initials (my grandmother, aunt, and me) engraved in it....but gold is so pricey right now that that would have DOUBLED my costs, so I will do it in the future!!)

And G, SI1! Sweet!!! Nice sweet spot
31.gif
31.gif

Here's what I was working with BEFORE:

beforeremount123.JPG

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
And now prepare yourself for the ONSLAUGHT of pictures.

The new setting makes it look SUBSTANTIALLY larger than .46!!

minetoptown.jpg

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
more.....note the funny dark/dead-ish spot.....it does not look that way in real life and shows up in only SOME photos....I can''t figure out if it''s a reflection of the culet or of an inclusion or what!!

minetoptown1.jpg

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Hanging out with a similar style pal (this is my friend''s antique cluster ring from the blingy breakfast)

twoantiques.jpg

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
My unmoisturized, unmanicured, seriously puffy handshot.

(lucky for me most of the good shots were NOT on the hand!!)

hideocioushandshot.JPG

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Hey, we have flower shots.....why not herb shots??

Here it is with some rosemary:

zring 025.jpg

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Bling and Poodles......these are a few of my favorite things (now just add in breakfast and there''s heaven!!!)

Here''s sweet baby Tessa wondering what the heck I''m doing now, poor patient baby!!! I tried a tiara shot but her hair is too springy--it wouldn''t work!!

tessablingbling.JPG

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
more loupe......the weird glassy/dead spot is only visible in some pics but it still bugs me. But it doesn''t appear that way in "real life" so it''s no biggie.

louperhr2.JPG

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
This may be my FAVORITE one so far.....LOVE the detail that the loupe captures!!

louperhr6.JPG

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
I think that''s all for now......it''s amazing how many bad pictures you can take to try and get just a few decent ones!!!! Some of these aren''t great and they are still tons better than ones I deleted. I think my favorites are the flower shots and a few of the loupe ones.

I will take some more under different light....it was SO sunny today and made it even more difficult.

Thanks again to ALL of my PS buddies who have been so kind and supportive through the losses that gave me this ring in the first place. I LOVE this ring, but I loved my aunt more.

If there are details or things I''ve forgotten, ask away!

9.gif
9.gif

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Oh, one last:

I posted this one on another thread, but it should be here too.

Here''s Ol'' Righty hanging out with some even blingier pals. (And can you believe mine is a .46?? It looks almost as big as the .91 on my middle finger! These bezel/halo/illusion settings are SO COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Ahh! Blue, it''s gorgeous! I love it
1.gif
I''m so glad everything turned out so perfectly for it. It was meant to be
2.gif

I really like those saphires on the sides too!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Thank you sunkist!!!! Now if I could only get some of YOUR photo-taking expertise to do justice to it!!!

I really couldn''t be more pleased with it! The sapphires are apparently in really bad shape, but they''re so small that I''m not going to bother replacing them until I have to--they still look pretty to me!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results