shape
carat
color
clarity

Halo or not?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
WOW! your ring is simply stunning, gorgeous!!! I love it with the halo. I do not think it looks like costume at all.......I agree with everyone else here...keep it!

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/14/2006 11:42:22 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Date: 9/14/2006 11:16:58 PM
Author: mrssalvo
you''re probably asking the wrong crowd b/c we all love and appreciate diamonds and halo''s. I was just at a school event tonight and one of the mom''s had a round in a gorgeous antique like halo settings and I was mezmorized. I wanted to ask her about it and get a closer look but there were so many people around I didn''t feel comfortable. But the next time I see her with it on, I''m so asking. Your ring is gorgeous and I wouldn''t change a thing.
Yup....we all do, and I will say I love your ring.

People in my life think the halo is overkill. I guess I am more used to it because I love the halos I see here. My FI''s exactly words to the ring I showed him (not yours) when we were looking was ''ew, that''s disgusting.'' So I went with the simpler setting.

Am I happy I did? You bet. I''m a flip flop wearin'', backpackin'' kinda gal. A glittery halo would just look weird on me and make me feel self conscious. But rest assured, your ring is gorgeous and if you are comfortable with it, don''t change it for anyone! The reason why people may think it''s like costume jewelry may be because often times costume jewelry is designed like ''dream'' jewelry...things most can''t afford or imagine. Just be happy you have a ring most dream of!
2.gif
I think this is other people''s motivation for reacting the way they do to your ring. Halo''s are certainly attention getting, because the halo glitters & shimmers around the diamond so beautifully.

But halos have been around for ever, & are experiencing popularity again, so as people get used to seeing them more often, they will not think your ring looks like costume jewelry.

I to reset my ring to a halo setting & sometimes I wish I just had a simpler setting, like the Vatche X prong for my princess....but...I love the added "size" appearance I get with my halo, so I''d really have to upgrade to one helluva honker to get the finger coverage I do with my halo.

And besides...angels wear halos!!!

Your ring is simply gorgeous, not at all over the top, but very classy & beautiful. Your crowd just doesn''t know jewelry very well. You should print off this page & carry it around.

Jeannine

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
I also wear a halo, mine is a ruby. I got all kinds of responses to it from people. mostly not positive at first. people made comments such as ''i know he couldve afforded a diamond'' ''why did you just get baby diamonds?'' things that were hurtful and uneducated. my ruby is beautiful, real and untreated much more rare than a diamond, and it infuriated me to the point that i almost bought a small solitare.

then i figured it out, people arent used to things out of the ordinary. friends/ coworkers are jealous, and some people are just not happy and try to make you unhappy.

ever since i moved to la, everyone loves my halo and comments how beautiful and unique it is. so some of it might be your location as well. you switched to halo because it is what you wanted, dont let others make you second guess that. because WOW, you have one beautiful ring!!!!!!!! the airline around your halo is perfection!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only reason I would not halo my solitaire is because I have diamonds in my wedding band, and the two seem to fit together well. (Please see my avatar, LOL!) Honestly, I think your ring is just perfect with a halo and not costume-y at alllllll!
35.gif

threepwood

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! Thank You everyone for all the kind comments and welcomes. I didnt expect that many responds. I guess different people just have different taste. I have always been a more, dare I say flashy kinda girl. Plus, I like how the halo makes the diamond look bigger.
31.gif
At first I wasn''t sure if I wanna keep the halo, but after reading all the responds, I am sure that the halo perfect for me.
1.gif

When I first got engaged, people around me told me to get solitaire because it is classic and It is classic.. But when I got it, I just felt it was missing something. My FI was understanding enough to let me change my setting and that''s when I started researching and I found Updated Celebrity Rings forum on PS.. One look at Catherine Zeta-Jones'' e-ring and knew that was what I wanted. I have to thank Bling Diva for starting the forum..
9.gif

As for imformation on the setting, I had the setting made from my family jeweller. She showed me a David Morris mircopave style setting and I loved it. It took her more than a month to finish the ring, but it was sure worth the wait..

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
36.gif

Glad you''re going to keep it!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Yay to you keeping it! I love
30.gif
halos. FI, however, doesn''t like them so my e-ring is a solitaire (which i also love
30.gif
). I was also worried that I''d be too hard on my ring and would lose diamonds from the halo. I do think about possibly making it a halo somewhere down the line, though...

Anyway, your ring is gorgeous!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I think your halo looks fantastic. Your friends probably think it looks like costume jewelry because that is all they have seen. I think you could use an eternity ring wedding band too.

CT026

Rough_Rock
I understand about the "costume jewelery" possibility when it comes to halos. But I think with recent increased popularity as an engagement ring (thanks celebs) that one would assume it real as opposed to fake. And I think with your particular size, it''s more believable.
Anyway, your friends may also be just plain jealous of your beautiful piece. It''s really very nice
35.gif

brgirl

Shiny_Rock
I just wanted to say how beautiful your halo is as well!!! I don''t think you can have too many compliments!

I don''t even have my engagement ring yet (which will be a solitaire), but I''m already planning my future RHR as a halo in about 10 years. (I tried to get it in 5, but my boyfriend already thinks i''m obsessed and vetoed that idea...)

Giada

Shiny_Rock
To echo everyone else''s repsonses...I truly love the halo on your ring! It looks just right on your hand.

It is so frustrating when you get something new and a jealous friend makes a comment to make you doubt your purchase or bring your down.

I changed my setting to a halo two years ago and most of my friends were really nice and complimentary...one friend just said "why did you change it?". I thought that was rather rude. You don''t have to blow someone else''s candle out to make yours burn brighter, you know?

Wear your gorgeous ring with pride!!

devientdrow

Brilliant_Rock
Girl, your friends must just be jealous! I LOVE IT!!! I want to change mine to a halo soooooooo bad but it won''t match my wedding ring
7.gif

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~I'm glad that you love your halo, which is the most important thing!!! However, if you decide to get rid of it, my address is...
9.gif

ETA: So you changed your setting recently??

angeline

Ideal_Rock
what are your friends thinking??? I would never tell someone that I thought their engagement ring looked less than perfect...I guess it depends on how well you know someone.

All I can say is - they don''t know a classic, timeless , gorgeous piece of jewelry when it bites them on the nose!

a

Girlrocks

Brilliant_Rock
I agree...I love your halo and I love it paired up with the plain band...I also like your original ring, but I like your new set better. Sounds like a bit of jealousy! Halos are everywhere now adays, it is definitely not a costume-y look. More antique than anything.

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Just gotta chime in...your friends seem a tad jealous! Your ring is stunning! The halo is delish!

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/14/2006 8:23:24 PM
Author:threepwood
Hi there, like most new PSer.. I have been looking at PS for the longest time.. It is only recently that I managed to pull myself to join PS.. I ''ve got engaged in April and I already changed my setting to a halo, but some of my friends think that the halo makes my ring look more like a costume jewellery.. And I know I find myself asking if my ring really looks like a costume jewellery or not?
39.gif
39.gif

These are the stats:
GIA
RB,
1.28 carat,
F color,
VS1
6.88 - 6.90 x 4.30mm,
F color,
Polish & Symmetry: EX EX
Fluoresence: Medium Blue
Ring Size: 4.25
Hmph. You clearly need new friends. What a terrible thing to say!
29.gif
I think your ring is stunning and love it. I would halo my princess if I could!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the halo setting, it really makes your stone come alive!

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for the halo! It looks great and not at all costume like. It''s beautiful!

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
As everyone else said, I think the halo is fabulous. I don''t understand how anyone could think it looks like costume jewelry. How rude anyway. I do like it better than your original set, it looks very elegant. You should enjoy it!

RoseAngel04

Brilliant_Rock
your halo is BEAUTIFUL!!! But as you can see from my avatar I may be a bit partial!! Halos are hands down my absolute FAVORITE type of setting! Mine (as I''m sure yours does as well) is very blingy and not the typical e-ring. I also think it has somewhat of an antique quality about it...that may just be me though! As soon as a saw a halo e-ring setting I had my heart set on it. My FI loves it to pieces as well.

So, don''t worry about what your friends say...you LOVE it and that''s all that matters.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Weelllll, if that is what "costume" jewellery looks like, then I WANT some!! Enjoy your ring, it really is beautiful.

cheers--Sharon

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We can be your new friends!
1.gif
Seriously, many of us do not have friends that are into jewelry at all. So we can relate! The bottm line is, no one sees a piece of jewelry more than the wearer, so that means it must please YOU! Halos are not common in a lot of areas...I''ve only seen one person locally with one...so I think the inappropriate reactions do come from a lack of exposure to new things!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I am more of a solitaire person myself, so the "before" is more my style. however, the halo is beautiful and is in no way fake looking or tacky. Your friends are probably jealous or not used to seeing fine jewelry, as others have suggested!

Idealistic

Shiny_Rock
The halo looks beautiful. I would go with the haol.

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
Totally gorgeous! I''m a fellow "Halo''er", so I may be a little biased....
30.gif

I got a gossip mag (In-Touch or something like it) that recently that covered the Emmy''s...and there were 3 pages in a row where every celebrity was wearing a Halo ring!!! If I can find it, I''ll try and post the pics!

marvel

Brilliant_Rock

Hi, I'm chiming in a little late here, but I just wanted to add my two cents. Your ring is GORGEOUS, GORGEOUS, GORGEOUS!! I

emlove.gif
the
12.gif
!!

Before we got my ring, I knew I wanted a halo...a must have! We ended up with a 3ct oval, and I debated whether to get a halo, or not, because of the same concerns you have. I went for the halo, and I LOVE my ring! I wear it everyday (unless I forget to take it out of the US after cleaning it). I don't care what people say, or think. Although, I've only heard kind words and compliments. Enjoy your ring it's BEAUTIFUL!

threepwood

Brilliant_Rock
Oh wow, thanks for the reply everyone.. I don’t know where to start.. Yes divergrrl, halos are attention getting and I just love the ring coverage.. I think if I would have to get 3 carats to have the same coverage as now.. hahaha..

msflutter and diamondseeker2006, I also come from a place where, everyone has a solitare. I think I only saw a lady once who had a halo but it wasn’t on a ring, she had halo earrings and it was just beautiful!

robbie3982, if u ever get a halo, I wanna see it!

IslandDreams I was actually thinking of getting an eternity ring but my FI and I already made a agreement that if I had my setting changed, it would be my last jewellery purchase for a while and I agreed because I already felt bad for making him spend again..

CT026, I think size make people wonder if it is real or fake. I also hope more celebs will get halos.. hehehe..

Thanks you, brgirl, SanDiegoLady, devientdrow, angeline, Girlrocks, littlelysser, Diamond*Dana, hlmr, Cind11, canuk-gal, gailrmv, Idealistic, for all the kind words

Giada, I was really hurt when my friend said it looks fake because she is a close friend, but than I know very well that she is also a really simple girl. I try to brush it aside, but its still pretty hard.. But now I have PS as a support group, so it all better.

RoseAngel04, your ring is beautiful too! I just love it and I am glad u got the halo and that your FI enjoy it as well.

tawn, I would love to see the In touch mag if you can manage to scan it! Let me know if u post it. hehe..

marvel, do u have any pics of your ring? A 3 carat oval sounds like a dream ring and Im sure the halo makes it look even better!
9.gif

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
wow~
gorgeous!!!!

No way does it look costume, maybe the friends are mad they didn''t think of it first?? Seriously, though, you of course have to like it, but i would love a halo, noooooo question, and I think it totally makes your diamond "pop" and make it look interesting, than just a boring solitaire...

I hope you keep it like this it''s perfect!

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Your halo is stunning
30.gif
30.gif
Get some new friends LOL! Enjoy your halo with confidence...your ''friends'' are just jealous!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results