shape
carat
color
clarity

Great-Grandmother''s Antique Engagement Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SarahAnn

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone! I have a new ring to post!

This was my great-grandmother''s engagement ring. I am pretty sure that it is from the 1930''s-40''s. I have it because the prongs need to be retipped from wear and my grandmother does not trust any jeweler near her (neither did I). My future father in law (once engaged I guess. . .haha) is a jeweler and will be doing the work. The ring is ultimately willed to me, but my grandmother would like to be able to wear it.
I don''t have any stats on the ring, but it is 18k white gold, no rhodium. I have a photo of the stamp on the inside of the ring, but it is terribly worn. Any ideas on a maker?
The diamond looks like a transitional cut, but feel free to correct me. . .I''m curious if that is right. It''s a real deep cut with a high crown. I don''t have calipers on me, but I used a 4mm band to make a line on the edge of a piece of paper to compare to the stone, and it is just a smidge over 4mm wide.

I also have 2 wedding bands that were in the box with the engagement ring. I believe that the engraved one goes with the ER. I will have a photo of that stamp as well. Any idea on the maker of the engraved band?

The plain WB is an Artcarved, but I don''t know when it was made or purchased (late 40''s or early 50''s). It is from my great-grandpa Tommy, her second husband (my step great-grandpa. . .I never knew my real great-grandpa, but he gave her a lot of jewelry. She never would accept jewelry from my great-grandpa Tommy. She wanted him to spend the money on traveling instead.) The ER and engraved WB came from her first husband.

sarahann1891.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that''s so cool! What a treasure.

SarahAnn

Rough_Rock
Stamp on Engagement Ring. . .any idea on the maker or history?

sarahann1899.JPG

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2009 6:57:07 PM
Author: SarahAnn
Stamp on Engagement Ring. . .any idea on the maker or history?
I''m pretty sure that says Belais, for Belais Brothers, on which Lang Antiques has this brief article:
http://www.langantiques.com/university/index.php/Belais. They were among the first to use alloyed white gold in jewelry in the 1910''s and 20''s. Congratulations, that''s a beautiful and historically interesting ring!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful set. Love the wedding band
36.gif
what a wonderful heirlooms

SarahAnn

Rough_Rock
Wow! Thanks for the info! Thanks for all of the great comments, too. I really love these pieces.
On the profile shot of the ER, you can see where the WB wore a flat spot against it. Also, most of the millgrain is rubbed off on the edge of the engraved WB.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
On the engraved wedding band, the hallmark symbol is an Omega (greek letter, looks like an upside down horseshoe). I don''t know who the jeweler is, and the only thing Google turns up is the Omega Watch company. You might be able to contact a jeweler like Langs (see the link in my post above) and describe it to them, since they would probably know or be able to find out.

I like that your grandmother got jewelry from one husband, and lots of traveling from the other. Sound like my kind of girl!
11.gif

SarahAnn

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for taking the time to help me! I will try and ask them!
It is odd because I am the only one in my family that loves to learn about jewelry and really appreciates it. . .stones and finished pieces.
My father bought my mother a fair amount of jewelry when they were married and my dad is interested in precious stones. He does know a fair bit more than the average person. I do have a cousin who is an idiot. . .I mean diamond dealer. . .no, I really mean idiot. We only visit him for entertainment purposes. We believe he was involved with the mob back in the day.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2009 7:43:30 PM
Author: SarahAnn
Thanks so much for taking the time to help me! I will try and ask them!

It is odd because I am the only one in my family that loves to learn about jewelry and really appreciates it. . .stones and finished pieces.

My father bought my mother a fair amount of jewelry when they were married and my dad is interested in precious stones. He does know a fair bit more than the average person. I do have a cousin who is an idiot. . .I mean diamond dealer. . .no, I really mean idiot. We only visit him for entertainment purposes. We believe he was involved with the mob back in the day.

You''re welcome! I love antique filigree jewelry, and learning about who made it. LOL about your uncle. How lucky are you that your potential FIL is a jeweler, though? I''m the only one that''s very interested in jewelry in my family too, so much so that I''ve started taking courses in it, beginning with a colored stone class.

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
NEAT! That''s an awesome set!! What a beautiful piece of family history!

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful rings! I especially loved the engraved wedding band. How special that you have them now!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I''m always jelous of people who have these beautiful antique rings. It''s lovely.

beechezz

Brilliant_Rock
I cant'' really help you out, but I just wanted to say that all of those pieces are gorgeous. You are a very lucky girl!!!
36.gif

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
What a beautiful set, with lots of special memories attached
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results