shape
carat
color
clarity

From Australia: my 1.58ct F Si1 from Union Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

danrts

Rough_Rock
Here's my 1.58ct F Si1 Ex/Ex/Ex from Union Diamond. Tiffany type 6 prong setting. I'm in Australia and after about a month of research on Pricescope - and scouring Bluenile.com, Jamesallen.com - and the internet, I finally ordered, along with the help of Tony Rixom from Union Diamond. I was very skeptical at first as wiring $13,500 USD (including Australian GST/duties) to the USA is always a risk, especially from half-way around the world. I was worried I'd get double charged duty by Australian customs. And what if I didn't like it when it arrived? I even had nightmares I got sold a dud.These are all the risk I had to weigh up. I had looked at jewelry stores in Melbourne, Australia, but a 1.53ct F or G was about $19,000 USD! Note that import taxes for us in Australia is 15% on jewlery (though Union Diamond charge me 19% import tax) - but it still came to less than what I was to have to pay in Australia. A slight hiccup - Fedex's agent in Cairns (where I live - Great Barrier Reef), sent the package to a completely wrong address, so I had to chase it down 6 hours later!

IMG_0197a.jpg

danrts

Rough_Rock
Sorry, my photo taking skills aren't all that professional. These are my fingers (not hers!)

IMG_0200a.jpg

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Looks beautiful, she is going to love it. Good luck with your proposal
35.gif
35.gif
35.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BEAUTIFUL!!! Many congrats to you!!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its gorgeous - congratulations!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
gorgeous stone..... can''t wait to see her handshots~!

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
congratulations - very beautiful!

(and good job on living in cairns, too - one of the more gorgeous places in the world!)

:)

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
it''s just beautiful! I''m happy that it all worked out perfectly even though Fedex gave you that 6 hr hiccup

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hello fellow Aussie!
Congrats on a beautiful purchase
36.gif

Just one question, if you don''t mind me asking, how come you paid the extra to Union Diamond? In all my times buying from the US, no vendor has gotten involved in customs issues, and I''ve just paid what''s correct when the item arrived in WA...
just wondering why the extra 4%..?

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations, it''s a beautiful ring from another fellow aussie
35.gif

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She will LOVE it! Congrats and come back with hand pics!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, beautiful ring!

beechezz

Brilliant_Rock
This diamond is a brilliant and beautiful stone! Great job!
emsmilep.gif

legra

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful - I''m sure your fiance-to-be will love it! Congrats.

ac719

Shiny_Rock
6.gif
that is absolutly gorgeous!
30.gif

Lucky girl! shes going to LOVE it!!!!!!!!

danrts

Rough_Rock
Arjunajane: UD charge 11.5% import GST/duty on loose stones and 19% import GST/Duty on set diamonds (to Australia). They charge you upfront and then the Customs office charges their FEDEX account. However I checked with the Australian customs and the GST on loose stones is 10% and on set jewellery 5% duty + 10% GST. I queried this with UD but they said they double checked all their previous invoices to Australia and that was their charge. (it probably compensates for their free shipping/insurance) Anyway to cut a long story short, I couldn''t find a tiffany type setting with the stone I was wanting (around 1.58ct F si1 GIA ex/ex/ex) from another online store for less than for what UD were charging me with import duties/exchange rates etc, so I was happy to pay the extra. I wasn''t going to order a loose stone, have it sent to another jeweler in the USA and then have it sent to me here. I priced a hand made tiffany type setting here in Cairns at $2770 AUD, so I figured I may as well order the whole thing from UD. Also jewlery shops in Cairns don''t sell much quality, large stones, as there doesn''t seem to be a market in this region for this. I also looked at diamondexchange.com.au but they were going to have to get a stone in from the USA anyway.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! She is going to LOVE it.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/6/2009 11:20:51 PM
Author: danrts
Arjunajane: UD charge 11.5% import GST/duty on loose stones and 19% import GST/Duty on set diamonds (to Australia). They charge you upfront and then the Customs office charges their FEDEX account. However I checked with the Australian customs and the GST on loose stones is 10% and on set jewellery 5% duty + 10% GST. I queried this with UD but they said they double checked all their previous invoices to Australia and that was their charge. (it probably compensates for their free shipping/insurance) Anyway to cut a long story short, I couldn''t find a tiffany type setting with the stone I was wanting (around 1.58ct F si1 GIA ex/ex/ex) from another online store for less than for what UD were charging me with import duties/exchange rates etc, so I was happy to pay the extra. I wasn''t going to order a loose stone, have it sent to another jeweler in the USA and then have it sent to me here. I priced a hand made tiffany type setting here in Cairns at $2770 AUD, so I figured I may as well order the whole thing from UD. Also jewlery shops in Cairns don''t sell much quality, large stones, as there doesn''t seem to be a market in this region for this. I also looked at diamondexchange.com.au but they were going to have to get a stone in from the USA anyway.

understood, thankyou for explaining! yes, it would seem the "free shipping" is actually
that extra 4% (as you are correct, it is definately 5% duty and 10% gst).

I know what you mean about pricing settings in Aus, the price difference is crazy!

Congrats on finding a great diamond and setting to suit you needs, and being adventurous enough to buy from the US
36.gif

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats! its soo pretty...hoping you post handshots

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring, and she has beautiful hands, too. Congratulations!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results