shape
carat
color
clarity

Flourescence Rings...please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

natlaw

Rough_Rock
I have been a lurker ... :) and I have learned more than I could have ever imagined.

This weekend my boyfriend and I are going to an Intergem gem show in Chantilly. We are going to pick up my eternity channel set band.

Well...I think I have decided that I want either an I or J colored stone with faint to medium flourescence (very good or better cut, clarity S1 or better, etc., etc.) This decision has moved from D-F S2 or I1 to GH S1 to I1 to just about everything under the sun :) Want to get the MOST BANG for his buck ;-) and walk away with as close as I can get to a 1.5 carat stone (his budget is 5k)

So my question...there is no Show Me Your Ring with Flourescence...so, can I see e-rings out there with at least a faint flour in it?

Thank you so much all...(being on pricescope is like being the quiet girl in the corner with all the answers to the question...this is one of the best website I have ever come across)

Natasha

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
faint fluorescence isn''t detectable in normal viewing conditions. you may not even notice much at medium, especially in a lower color stone such as a ''j''. they look cool in black lights though
2.gif
check out this video on fluorescence

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2005 10:39:20 PM
Author:natlaw
I have been a lurker ... :) and I have learned more than I could have ever imagined.

This weekend my boyfriend and I are going to an Intergem gem show in Chantilly. We are going to pick up my eternity channel set band.

Well...I think I have decided that I want either an I or J colored stone with faint to medium flourescence (very good or better cut, clarity S1 or better, etc., etc.) This decision has moved from D-F S2 or I1 to GH S1 to I1 to just about everything under the sun :) Want to get the MOST BANG for his buck ;-) and walk away with as close as I can get to a 1.5 carat stone (his budget is 5k)

So my question...there is no Show Me Your Ring with Flourescence...so, can I see e-rings out there with at least a faint flour in it?

Thank you so much all...(being on pricescope is like being the quiet girl in the corner with all the answers to the question...this is one of the best website I have ever come across)

Natasha
Well though 5k is a nice budget I am sorry to say that you are unlikely to find an eye clean 1.5 stone in that price range when you are after a well cut stone.

That said here are a few options that might intreast you:
1.21 J SI1 $4893 James Allen
1.093 J SI $4783 WhiteFlash
1.04 I SI2 $4075 WhiteFlash
1.11 I SI2 $4313 James Allen
1.04 H SI2 $4529 WhiteFlash

Midnight00

Rough_Rock
Hi. I have heard that diamonds of I color or lower may actually benefit from some flourenscence.

Also, my diamond is GIA-certified, princess cut, 1.8 center stone, VS2, H color, good cut/polish. Some may say that my diamond is not of super great quality, but my diamond sparkles like there is no tomorrow. It is completely clean looking; I can''t even find anything after much studying! My point is: don''t shy away too much from good cuts/polishes. Seeing the diamond in person is definitely key.

Good luck!

Incisor

Rough_Rock
This one seems good with medium fluo. Anything under medium fluo won''t change the color much according to many PS experts.

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-2068567.htm#

Excellent cut. Just one inclusion.

natlaw

Rough_Rock
Thanks! The video of the flour diamonds was really cool. And, I guess, I should clarify...all I want is for the ring to sparkle. After much thought, I realized that when it all boils down to it ... specs are good, but how it looks is much more imporant. So a good cut would be fine (my preference is a VG or EX) if it looks good. Midnight...I tried looking for your ring online but I read you did not have a good picture. If you have one now...please post :) sounds gorgeous.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only time I can see the flouro in my diamond which has faint so far, is if the sun isn''t shining directly on the diamond but at an angle to it if that makes sense, and it has a very faint bluish glow to it which I love but you have to look and know the diamond to pick it up. Direct sunlight has no effect on it.

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

My solitaire has 'very strong blue fluoro'

In normal lighting i can't see anything at all. It is brillant white with tons of sparkle. The only time i can see the fluoro is in very dim or dark lighting, when there is a very faint liliac hue. (but i don't tend to sit in dark closets much)

There is so much conflicting advice about fluoro, but at the end of the day, it's personal preference. (if i can get my husband to show me how to use macro on the camera, I will post a picture).

In a solitaire fluoro is fine, but if you were having other diamonds next to your solitaire (like an eternity ring) then it might be best to avoid it. But I doubt very much that it would matter if the fluoro was only faint.

just my opinion...

dyanne
35.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Blod, that was the colour I was looking for, more lilac than blue, but it''s yummy!!!
30.gif

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve found this to be a very enlightening read - everything you ever wanted to know about fluoresence:

http://www.gia.edu/pdfs/W97_fluoresce.pdf

I have a D color with strong blue fluoresence, and I really like it a lot. But fluoresence isn''t for everyone. You''ll have to see it to know.

That said, fluoresence is really a non-issue when it comes to "sparkle" - that''s all in the cut, baby! Sometimes fluoresence can make the body color appear a bit more colorless in a warmer stone, but it has NO EFFECT on the performance of the stone itself.

I''d rather have an ideal cut J/K/L/M color over a crappily cut D any day! (and so will you, once you see them...)

2.gif

robianch

Rough_Rock
Midnight, Do you have a pic of your 1.8 princess? I have the same thing but 1.52 same color and clarity.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
In a GH, there will be no issue with flourescence. And I think pix are pretty much worthless when showing color, never mind medium flour...you'll need to see for yourself!

I am looking at pendants and had a hot little H strong blue...and while it didn't hurt brilliance, mark told me it was a little too blue for his liking.

ps I'm not an ideal nut either
6.gif
As long as it's very pleasing to the eyes and I get what I pay for I'm happy!

natlaw

Rough_Rock
ECF...I read through the article. WOW. So much information, but I am starting to get a little bit of the hang on the flour diamond between that and what was on pricescope.

I am so glad I posted because now I know to tell whomever the vendor is that we buy from tomorrow ... can we walk outside to see the diamond. May, also, try to cup it in my hand to see if it glows (and if they have a black light). I definitely like the blue white look that you see in the sparkle of a flour diamond from what I have seen on line (so now it is just to go see one in person
emsmile.gif
It just seems like there is extra fire. I am just loving that look...will keep everyone posted tomorrow on what the final stone will be.

My BF has already told me that I won''t get it for good tomorrow which is cool...since even though I will know what the ring looks like, I am anxious to see how he will "officially" pop the question :)

Midnight00

Rough_Rock
Hi. My ring. Not the greatest picture. We have really ugly hands! I'm sorry!

1.8 H color VS2

Midnight Ring 1.jpg

KittenKat

Shiny_Rock
My ring has Fluorescence. (It''s F in color, med. Flour.)

Actually, during Halloween we had a black-light on in the evening as part of our holiday decor - and I held all my jewelry underneath it.
The coolest was my engagement ring. Some of the pink diamonds have Fluorescence! You''d never know it in any other lighting situation. And I do love the slight blueness in my center stone. I actually prefer having fluorescence.

susi

Shiny_Rock
Hello, Natasha....my stone is Hearts on Fire I color with strong blue.....it throws back so much light due to the excellent cut that I do not notice the I color grade... the fluorescence could be a factor too...some people seem to think so.....other than this, I never notice it...

1hofhand.JPG

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Susi, your ring looks GIGANTIC! It''s at least 3cts, right? Don''t tell me it''s 1.5cts and you wear a size 2
31.gif
Your ring is just beautiful!
30.gif
I think fluorescence in H and below colored stones is great
9.gif

robianch

Rough_Rock
I have an H color VS2 1.52 Princess with strong blue flourescense and had it appraised by AGA (Gem appraisers in Philadelphia) and he (Michael Jordan) thought the flourescense did a lot for the diamond, he actually liked it with rather than without. I know it''s just an opinion but any one working under David Atlas making that statement makes me happy.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/16/2005 8:43:48 AM
Author: ecf8503

I''d rather have an ideal cut J/K/L/M color over a crappily cut D any day! (and so will you, once you see them...)

2.gif
Couldn''t agree more!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Dulcinea

Rough_Rock
Here are a couple pictures of my OEC, which has blue fluorescence. The stone''s cert said it was an N, but when I had the ring appraised, the appraiser (having not seen the cert) called it a J. I think the fluorescence really helps it face up much whiter than it really is! It''s a slightly warm white, which is what I wanted, and there are only about 3 days of the year when the weather conditions are just right for me to see its pale yellow N body color :)

DSCN0247.jpg

DSCN0245.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results