shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW First glimpse of custom setting

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
Medphysdave|1458614162|4009180 said:
I finally get to post in this section :)

Received pictures today.

Wow, I've never seen a side stone in the middle of a loop like that! I'm excited for you to get it!

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
I would have thought the bead work underneath going to be very uncomfortable

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think it looks uncomfortable. Lots of people have bead stackers.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks absolutely beautiful!!

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
again, absolutely beautiful! I love how this came out, the beadwork underneath is so unique. I forgot to ask in your post on RT, what is the significance of the opals?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I posted on your other thread...but just wanted to say how nice it turned out! Have a great proposal day!!!

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
It's so beautiful! I love the special details: the beading under the shank and especially the surprise opals--so cool!!! :appl:

Medphysdave

Rough_Rock
My SO was very close to her grandmother. Her grandmother's engagement ring was a large opal surrounded by diamonds. She loves the ring, and wears it. At one point she mentioned using her grandmother's ring as her e-ring. I thought it would be nice to incorporate opals into her engagement ring.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a beautiful setting Dave. Love all the thought that went into each little detail. Amazing. :clap:

Make sure to not put the opals in ammonia - which is in typical diamond jewelry cleaner.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
motownmama|1458649342|4009298 said:
I don't think it looks uncomfortable. Lots of people have bead stackers.

I don't think if looks uncomfortable in the slightest. I wear a textured gold band and its very comfortable

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
I love love love it!!! :love: Is this a Steven Kirsch? I tried to look back at your threads. I really love all the detail and the profile is absolutely beautiful! Please post more pictures when you get it and hand shots when you give it!!!

Medphysdave

Rough_Rock
Yes, Steven Kirsch. He did a fantastic job. I really needed someone that could take some ideas and run with them. Without much input from me. He was great to work with. We probably have 40 or more emails back and forth before I even committed. Super patient, and willing to shoot ideas back and forth. He was able to hone in on what I was after very quickly. I'm glad he had a vision, because I sure didn't. :D

I'll take some more pictures when I have it in hand.

0139-2.jpg

Medphysdave

Rough_Rock
ringo865|1458694487|4009620 said:
It is a beautiful setting Dave. Love all the thought that went into each little detail. Amazing. :clap:

Make sure to not put the opals in ammonia - which is in typical diamond jewelry cleaner.

Thank you for that advice. What do you do with opals to shine then up? Do they require polishing?

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
Medphysdave said:
ringo865|1458694487|4009620 said:

Thank you for that advice. What do you do with opals to shine then up? Do they require polishing?

You will not want to put it in any "precious jewelry" cleaning solutions because it can dissolve the opals. You should ask Steven what he recommends. Precious and semi-precious refers to how hard the stone is and not the price.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh.... Beautiful! Intricate, unique & just really lovely :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is gorgeous!!! :love: However, I'd recommend getting SK to replace the opals with diamonds, because the ring will be a pain to keep clean with opals in it. Most of us soak our diamond rings frequently in diamond cleaner or windex, etc. before brushing it clean or putting in an ultrasonic cleaner. You can't do any of that with opal. I'd suggest getting her an opal pendant to go with her grandmother's ring, if you want to give her something sentimental with an opal.

Medphysdave

Rough_Rock
I see what you mean about having the diamond replace by opals. I will keep that in mind. Thinking I'll keep it like it is, but when opals lose their luster, replace with diamonds.

I suspect that continuously replacing the opals will become costly. I think it would look just as good with diamonds.

Eauphelia

Rough_Rock
I adore this setting and especially the opals and beadwork. So gorgeous and unique

baublelove

Rough_Rock
Well done! :clap: It's one of a kind beautiful and I love the thought put into the design with regard to your SO's grandma. Please come back and post hand shots.

Medphysdave

Rough_Rock
Will do! Thank you for the compliments. I need to take a few moments and capture some images now that I have it in hand.

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
Medphysdave|1459302121|4012900 said:
Will do! Thank you for the compliments. I need to take a few moments and capture some images now that I have it in hand.

Please do! I'm so in love with it!

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, so amazing to see the finished product, it turned out perfect! The lines, the style, SK did a great job!

I'm in agreement that when the time comes, replace the opals with diamonds, but having them in for the proposal is going to be glorious!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just gorgeous!!! :love: A work of art! Congratulations and cannot wait to see your beautiful new ring on your hand! :appl:

PierreBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring and love the significance of incorporating the opals!

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
Lovely ring, looking forward to seeing more pictures!

Regarding the cleaning I'd vote for soaking in warm water with a bit of mild dish detergent, then gently scrubbing with a soft toothbrush. I read that soaking shouldn't hurt solid opals, but opal experts please correct me if this is a bad idea. :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results