shape
carat
color
clarity

Finally my OEC has a home!

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
Just a warning...this story has been in the making since December 2010, so it may be long. Also, I am going to absolutely GUSH over a vendor and how much they have been a part of this process. So if you are drama or mush-sensitive-----skip to the photos! :wavey:

The loss of my Grandmother's wedding ring is a totally different story in itself. Short story, I left it where someone could take it and we think that is what happened. Either way, the loss created a lot of heartache that, in the end re-created my relationship with my Dad. I anticipated him to go thru the roof upon hearing I lost the ring. Instead, he reminded me that it was just a material item, and that it wasn't worth what I had put myself through looking for it. (This is a major development given our past). My mother also put it correctly by telling me, "Baby, your true diamond walks through your front door after work everyday." SO TRUE! Anyway, it was a testament to what really matters.

That being said, it doesn't say that I am not a crazy, mental, basket case, micromanager when it came to finding a replacement for such an important piece. Hey, nobody is perfect.... :saint:

I found a diamond I loved for a great price on Ebay. It belonged to a couple who had no children and it had been passed to a niece that decided to sell. The diamond dates back to a family that came to the US in the late 1800s from Russia and settled in Hells Kitchen, NY. One of their sons, Sammy, inherited the diamond in the 30s and, I was told, he was never without it. He met a wonderful lady who was a dancer trying to break into Broadway and they were married and lived in NY. I was told they were adventurous and extensive travelers. "If this diamond could talk, they stories it would tell..." the niece told me.
Anyway, a local jeweler I was working with at the time advised me not to buy something off of Ebay and let him source one, but I did anyway :devil: It just spoke to me and that was that! When I brought it to him he said I had bought a lemon. I freaked out and made an appointment with an appraiser- getting a quote from him before hauling my two young children an hour away for $95. I got there, he did an appraisal and said I was given the wrong price. He ended up charging me $165. Grrrr....

I went on to try to reset it, bought some french cuts went thru some tough lessons about what I do and don't like in settings. In the end, I decided to sell the diamond because it seemed easier to shop with cash in hand rather than settle for something just because of the price. I just could not find what worked!

I went to another reputable estate jeweler in Ft. Worth who took a look and said my EGL J VS1 (probably about an L GIA) stone was probably a P/Q and that he'd pay me $4,000 for it as a favor if I spent double that in his store. Luckily, Erica from JbEG had worked with me in the past and had seen the diamond in person. She had seen a post I made about selling it and knew what I was walking in to. She called me after I emailed her his opinion. I am not a pretty crier! I sobbed on the phone and she assured me he was full of it and offered to have it certed and sell it as a consignment if that was what I really wanted to do.
Without divulging too much, the past experience with my not knowing what I wanted and attempting a custom piece with JbEG, she and Grace should have RUN the other way, not offer to help.

It went up for sale on their site. That week, some interesting things started to happen. I had to drive to Arlington to pick up a gift and stopped in a gold and diamond secondhand store to window shop. The first ring they brought out from the back was a beautiful antique piece holding a diamond the exact (to the tenth of a MM) size as the one I was selling. Erica emailed me back and forth for most of that day giving advice on price, what to look for and the possibility of being able to set whichever stone I wanted to keep in this setting! She spent all this time knowing that I could decide to pull my diamond, sell the new one on my own and walk again. She didn't even mention it and gave her time and advice graciously!

I am a believer in signs (finding my diamond's twin was the first one)...that week my son kept telling me about a new student in his preschool class, Sammy (we call the first diamond the "sammy diamond." I usually have to remind him to be friendly b/c he and his bff are so into each other, I want him to have other friends. Well, Nathaniel just took to Sammy and for a solid week kept asking if he could come over....Not Samuel, Sam...Sammy.
Anyway, I decided to keep my beautiful Sammy diamond and it is set in a setting that seems custom made for it!! It was a tough one, but I felt like it was passed to me and my family with its old owner's blessing. Also, how rare to know the origin of such an old piece??!

This is where I want to gush on JbEG. I love that they, unlike the others I came across, are honest, love what they do and truly are committed to making sure such an important process ends in a good experience. Fortunately, this makes them EXCELLENT at what they do. Unfortunately, their intent on guaranteeing that everything has been done to have 100% satisfaction often can expose them to a lot of drama. Despite it, they do an awesome job and do it happily and graciously!

So far, they have spent time trying to help me set my diamond (in the beginning), certify, list and market my diamonds. When I found the other, Erica and Grace graciously offered to give me their opinion and list the one I chose to sell. They also took my ring and had the stones swapped and shipped it to me today. Up to this point, they have spent A LOT of energy giving exemplary service and have not profited one single cent....yet! :wink2: These ladies have been advocates, sounding boards and, at certain times, given me the reality check I desperately needed.
Upon opening the package containing the finished ring, I saw that Grace mailed and packaged my ring as if I were the most important customer in the world. The eloquently written note and cleaner were such small gestures, but are such a testament that they love being a part of happy endings and take a lot of pride in that role. It isn't ONLY about the money. Its about the feeling you get opening up something that will become a cherished heirloom....
NOW the pics!!!! Thanks for all of the positive feedback and help with the decision making process! It was extremely helpful!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's absolutely gorgeous. I love it :love: Such a beautiful diamond.

Isn't it something how things all work out? I totally agree about Erica and Grace. I have worked with them on several pieces and they are just dolls.

So glad this has a HAPPY ending!

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock
What a wonderful story and journey. You have an incredibly beautiful ring. I love the setting....so unique and a perfect complement to your beautiful stone. Congratulations! I hope it brings you many years of pleasure wearing it. :love: :love: :love:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Such a beautiful story - love the Sammy connection! Erica and Grace sound like amazing women who really care about the individual, not the 'sale' - true treasures!

And that ring ---- oh my! Gorgeous!! :love: :love: :love: Love the stone and the setting! Macro shots would just up the drool factor by about a thousand percent! ;))

Thank you vinjewels for the photos and the story - wear it in good health :halo:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! I have to admit that I didnt make it through the whole story...I really wanted to see the pictures!
Go JBEG!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did read it all, and I think Erica and Grace are just wonderful! I think we all need something from them! :naughty:

Your ring is gorgeous!!! :love: :love: :love:

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock
The ring is beautiful, as is the story behind it!

I scrolled past the story, looked at the pics, then went back and read the story of your ring. I'm so glad Erica and Grace were so helpful to you.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1333487327|3162734 said:
I did read it all, and I think Erica and Grace are just wonderful! I think we all need something from them! :naughty:

Your ring is gorgeous!!! :love: :love: :love:

I am guessing DS got something?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
soooooo beautiful!!!! The most stunning OEC ever! :love:

fridays_child

Shiny_Rock
What a story, your journey to your ring took quite a few twists and turns :) Glad you had an awesome experience with jbeg and now have the ring of your dreams. Congratulations, it's beautiful!

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
That is an heirloom piece, gorgeous, big and beautiful! I think you will enjoy it for the rest of your life and happily pass it on through generations.

I agree, the ladies at JBEG are class acts. Time and time again I see them post and fall in love with them, their site and their pieces.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
What a great story about your journey, and I agree that the ladies of jbeg are the best!!

Your ring is stunning :appl: :appl: :appl:

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Such a great story! I'm so happy that you are thrilled with your ring. It's beautiful! I really need to get my butt in gear, I want a custom jbEG too and sadly it looks as though after May 1st they won't be taking orders on their signature settings. :cry: ;(

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's gorgeous!! I love the setting, it's the perfect home for that beautiful stone! Congrats and wear it in health and happiness!

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much junebug17, armywife13, makemepretty, fridays_child, skippy, and Farleysmom for the kind words and wishes!

Lotus99 and tyty33, I don't blame you. It was looooong! I am a dessert first kinda girl. That's what the photos are for me :wink2:

Diamondseeker2006, agreed! I am with skippy. Any purchases?? Hmm?

Amys bling, Per EGL:
2.43 "transitional round brilliant"
VS1, J
8.88 x 8.5 x 4.94
Depth %: 58.1
Table %: 52
Crown %: 15.9
Pavilion %: 38.5
Girdle: Very thin to sl. thick
Faint Fluor.

Enerchi, thanks so much! I will do my homework on those macro shots. The photo session was ended by a tornado siren today (and my 20 month old daughter knocking the ring into the dirt in the pot. It was cracking her up.)

Bright Ice, it is very neat. For a long time I wasn't so sure, but it literally all came together in a matter of a month! Click, click, click! Just like that!

Christina, I do hope it works out that you get your order in! Their settings are really beautiful and well made.

omc111

Rough_Rock
Your ring is one of a kind and so beautiful! Wear it in good health always. I'd also like to echo what everyone else has said about the ladies of JbEG. My experiences with them have been nothing short of fabulous.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a lovely story and a stunning diamond and ring. So happy for you, vinjewels!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So is the setting custom or vintage?

The ring looks WOW BLINGTASTIC!!!

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
Gah! It came out beautiful...that setting looks like it was made for your diamond. Congrats...and I agree about JBEG. I'm still working with them, but like you I go back and forth on what I want and they are always gracious.
On another note, hope you and your family are okay after all those tornados in Arlington. My DD lives in Ft. Worth and she said it was awful.

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
SparklyOEC, we are all fine. They were everywhere yesterday. I didn't know what was up because we had the tv off and walked outside to see 300 or so ducks flying together across the sky. I looked to the left and saw the storm wall coming. We weren't hit. Just a bad thunderstorm and high winds. Gotta love Texas weather! Hope all is well with your DD too! Can't wait to see what you have been up to with JbEG! Seems like the antique/vintage thread eyecandy is getting pretty busy!

lknvrb4, Kim N, purplesilk, omc111 thanks so much for taking the time to celebrate it with me!

Gypsy, it is a vintage piece. There was a diamond in there and we are in the process of getting it certified. I have no clue about the setting though. Any ideas? Its 18K WG and has single cuts around. The diamond that was in it was beautiful and had more modern proportions than my current one. Erica said it looks like a transitional, but thru the loop is an OEC. I'd welcome any thoughts!

Tried getting Macro shots...do these qualify?? Not as easy as it looks!

IMG_3722.JPG

IMG_3720.JPG

IMG_3723.JPG

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
vinjewels,
That ring is to die for, just gorgeous. Glad you didn't get blown away yesterday. We just got a lot of rain in a very short time in our little corner of the Metroplex.
If you feel comfortable, would you name the Fort Worth and Arlington stores in your story?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
LOVE that picture w/ your doggie behind the table!! Your ring is beautiful, and I love the story!!!

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Just gorgeous! I love everything about it...the diamond and ring look like they have been together forever! So happy for you!!! =)

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
WOW, what an absolutely beautiful ring!! :love: :love: :love: Definitely a heirloom. And what a wonderful story!

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
texaskj, I normally don't do that, but in this case, not at all. He so grossly misrepresented it. Kubes in Ft. Worth. I didn't tell him that I had his niece bring the stone to him for me after I bought it the year prior to confirm color grade (graded against the same stones) and it was between a k-l on his master set....um, when I wasn't trying to sell the stone to him (a little different than a P/Q). :tongue: He will not get a CENT from me. Ever.

The other guy was just was ignorant and pissed I didn't let him find one. He was not a fan of old stones. Crawford jewelers.

On another note, my setting came from Arlington Gold and Silver exchange. Its owned by a sweet man, Fawzy and they are the kindest, most helpful people. His prices are so competitive that a very reputable antique jewelry seller in Dallas buys from him. They reshanked the ring, sized it, polished and rhodium plated it, installed a horseshoe, etc. in one day and had it sitting on the counter with a strand of pearls for me. I love going in there.... Make my busy, hectic life easier and I will love you forever.... :lol: If you ever go in there, tell him Julie sent you ;-)

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, love the ring and stone! I couldn't see the first pictures, but the last ones are amazing. What a great story! So glad everything worked out so perfectly for you! It is a ring to love forever!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results