shape
carat
color
clarity

Finally Engaged in Uruguay

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sarita

Brilliant_Rock
I haven''t posted in a while (was super busy at work short-staffed, and basically away from the computer altogether). Christmas came in a hurry and then finally it was time for vacation (BF and I flew out New Years Eve) en route to the country he''s from, Uruguay, to visit family and because it''s summer there now! Thought I''d share my proposal story.

He just got accepted into the pHd program at school so we were basically where we wanted to be at when getting engaged. About a month before the trip I tried to find out if it was going to happen on this vacation, and hinted that I''d like it to. I felt ready for a while but he didn''t seem to be in any big hurry. We already had the ring but it wasn''t official and he knew I wanted some sort of traditional proposal. As we were packing I asked if he was going to take it (bad, I know, but if he was going to forget and I had to wait the entire week and a half not knowing it''d really suck). He said yes, because he knew I "wouldn''t want to go if he didn''t" (he later said he did plan to bring it but wasn''t sure how to make it a secret in case I checked, and forgetting it was a mild concern too) but he didn''t know where to put it and felt uneasy being responsible for it if something were to happen. I said "just put it somewhere safe and go!". I saw where he put it in his bag when we left, and that was it for most of the trip.

The night of the proposal we were staying in his parents'' beachouse in Punta del Este (mostly nearby Argentinians and other Uruguayans as tourists, though American tourism was up 20% this year) and it was our last night there before heading back to the capital, Montevideo. He really wanted to go out, and kept pushing, even though I was tired and we''re generally pretty homebody-ish. He kept talking about going to a club and seeing the nightlife and I said I''d go out but maybe just to drive past or walk on the beach at night. I suggested we go to "the hand" (a giant hand sculpture on the beach overlooking the ocean, by a Peruvian artist) which is a popular tourist attraction to take pics by, and we hadn''t stopped by it this year yet. Judging by how persistent he was to go out, and reminding me how it was our last night here, I had a feeling he was up to something. I did know where he had the ring as I mentioned above, and was tempted to check if it was "missing" but was good and did not peek.

On the ride over I moved my hand to the outside of his pocket at one point and felt (as inconspicuously as I could) for a ring. He didn''t seem phased at all (which was strange) and just replied "my keys". (He later said the ring was in his *other* pocket).

When we got at the hand he took lots of pictures of me in front of it and on the beach. After a few he made some comment like "Did you like posing in front of the middle finger?" and I said "that wasn''t the middle finger... it was the.." and he interrupted "oh yeah, the ring finger" and kind of grinned. Then we walked over by the thumb (so he could hold the camera out in front of us and get a whole finger) and he snapped one of us together. Then he said "yeah, so this wouldn''t be a bad night to get engaged..." and I just looked at him, waiting. The he said "but I''d need the ring for that... maybe we can stop by tommorrow before we leave" (?!) I just gave him a look and then he smiled and said "just kidding, I brought it tonight." Then he asked and I said yes and he put the ring on my finger. He didn''t bend on one knee (I couldn''t picture him doing this anyway), he said, because there were a few guys smoking/chilling around another finger and he didn''t want them to go "ooooh" or something like that when they saw him. It was on Sunday, Jan 8th probably between 12 and 12:30 am sometime. (Technically Monday, but). Which is kind of neat because our dating anniversary is Dec 8th. So I guess 8 will be our number!

I hope this wasn''t too long. Now I''m back home and he''ll be there for another few days. I''ve only told my mom and best friend so far (I figure we''ll tell mutual friends when we''re both back) and I guess my coworkers will notice tomorrow when I go back in.

Here are a few pics:

Enrique2006Ene123b.jpg

sarita

Brilliant_Rock
You can''t really see the ring well here but the photo depicts my mood pretty well.
1.gif

Enrique2006Ene130b.jpg

sarita

Brilliant_Rock
My fiance (so strange to call him that!) hasn''t sent me all of the pics yet so I don''t have the one of us by the thumb to post so I''ll post this one of him using the traditional brick barbecue in the backyard. He''s a little pudgy right now and will probably hate that I used this one, but...

Enrique2006Ene132b.jpg

sarita

Brilliant_Rock
And last but not least here''s a shot of me at a nearby pennisunla we visited. We rode these big jeep things over sand dunes and then on the beach to get there. Around back you could see this island and hear the sounds of the sea lions. Some of them were sunning on the rocks across the island here where we were and you could get pretty close.

(I realize my bra is showing a little there, but it''s still pretty kosher, so).

Enrique2006Ene091b.jpg

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
congrats!
36.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Sarita congratulations!!! How fun!! You are too cute. Loved the proposal story and the pics of course. Best wishes you you both!!! Enjoy!!!
36.gif
36.gif
35.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
That hand sculpture in the sand is pretty cool - what a great location for a proposal! You guys are too cute, congratulations on your engagement!!!

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement sarita! Your pics are great!

Heather

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
sarita - congrats!!! I was so excited to see more pics I didn''t read your story, and I didn''t even notice that the background of the first one had a hand sculpture!!! haha... goes to show what I''ve been looking for in all the pics.. .bling! Anyhow, what a cute story and special place to be for a proposal~!!

hope to see you on the bride board more often...
9.gif

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Sarita, Congratulations! I am so happy for you and your fiance. What a sweet proposal
1.gif
I love the pics of you two you make a beautiful couple! And that hand sculpture is awesome! Can''t wait to see close ups of your ring
2.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Cute pictures Sarita. Congratulations!

I can''t wait to see close ups of the ring.

You two make a cute couple.
35.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
you to are just darling..congrats on your engagement and i''m looking forward to some more closeups of your ring..

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations, Sarita! That is a wonderful, fun engagement story! It''s really neat that the sculpture of the hand was part of the "actual" proposal! And I love how your fiance was not about to get down on one knee in front of other dudes! Too funny! Best wishes to you and your fiance.
face23.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
congratulations! You know we need close-up ring shots now
2.gif

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations to you and your sweetie, Sarita! Is the yummy M emerald your engagement ring? I''m looking forward to seeing some hand shots. BTW, you are a very pretty girl. The last picture is too cute.

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Sarita, CONGRATULATIONS on your engagement, you make a beautiful couple. Cute story, cute couple and I can''t wait to see some cute close up handshots of your ring.

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Great pics!

sarita

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everyone for your kind comments. Yes, my e-ring is the M color emerald cut. I have pictures of the ring (and my RHR pear) in the thread Sarita''s Rings but I''m not sure how to link it. I tried to bookmark and drag but that didn''t work and if I need to use HTML I''m not sure cause I haven''t used that since highschool.
40.gif

I don''t have any new pics the ring - fiance is still away until Tuesday with the new camera - but I''m sure he''d understand the need for a new photo session.
3.gif

sarita

Brilliant_Rock
Here are some new pics my fiance was kind enough to indulge me with. I have come to realize my e-ring looks best in natural daylight and these are all indoors at night with no flash.

IMG_0561.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i really like that EC, sarita!

movie zombie

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I still cannot believe it is a "M". It looks so white. What are the other specs on it again? What is your ring size, it looks huge! What kind of wedding band are you going with?

sarita

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks movie zombie and Morticia.

Tacori - it is 1.7ct (very close to yours!) VS1
I am planning on wearing a plat etoile with it but I may change the solitaire to a wider plat cathedral (it''s in a 2mm WG "tiffany" now) to match the etoile better. I don''t want the rings to be an exact match in width (besides the etoile is around 4mm and 8mm would not be comfortable!) I kinda like the look of the thinner E-ring next to the wider band but the prongs look a little un-level to me from the side and I have always loved a cathedral for a solitaire. And I would prefer the metals to match. So we''ll see.
40.gif

My ring size is 3.5 - it fits comfortably but is harder to go over the knuckle.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results