shape
carat
color
clarity

Engraving non-character designs...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

whoiswes

Rough_Rock
sorry if this is in the wrong place, but i''m having a bit of trouble finding any information on the web.

can i take a design and have it engraved on a ring? for instance, instead of lettering, could a small line drawing be engraved on the ring, either inside or out?

i am assuming it would be doable for an expert, but google thus far has failed me. i need to know if it''s possible and how much it will cost (approx).

if somebody wouldn''t mind chiming in, i would greatly appreciate it. thanks a ton.

wes

boonerings

Shiny_Rock
Wes, most jewelers have a manual rotary engraver, where there's a dial with letters around it and he follows the curves of the letters with a mechanical arm. The arm is attached to a diamond scribing tool, which scratches the surface on the inside diameter of the ring in the pattern of the letter at the dial. Those types would not have the freedom to do fonts or designs other than what comes on those dials. They are for internal diameter only as well.

Some jewelers might now have computerized engravers. They are similar in concept, where a diamond stylus scratches the inside surface, but only the most fancy of those can do special designs or outside engraving. I have one that came with about 20 fonts, but it can't do special designs or outside engraving. Outside engraving with a diamond stylus is not very common. Sometimes rings are engraved with a rotating tool and a special 4th axis CNC (computer numerically controlled) machine, but resolution is determined by the cutter size, so usually doesn't go as fine. Again, the equipment is a bit more specialized than a lot of jewelers will have.

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
I hear there are also some jewelers who can do laser engraving as well. I've never done it on anything but plastic, though, so I'm not the one to ask.

boonerings

Shiny_Rock
I have a laser that can do some designs by changing the color of titanium or by firing a ceramic material. At 135 watts, it is not powerful enough to actually do engraving in metal, especially gold, which is one of the best reflectors of infrared. It takes a much higher powered laser (over ~600 watts) to engrave into the metal. Most ones used by jewelers are pulsed lasers, which do a series of powerful short bursts. These can also be focused to a tighter beam than the continuous CO2 lasers. The pattern will actually be a series of small pits blasted by the laser. Depending on the software used, they may be able to have special designs done as well.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
what you are looking for is an old time hand engraver. they are true artisans, and their work is costly. my suggestion would be to find a local jeweler who works with antique jewelry or replicas. they should have the proper contacts for you, and be able to act as your intermeidary.

good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results