shape
carat
color
clarity

Engaged ladies, do you wear a colored gemstone RHR?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gleam

Brilliant_Rock
I have a 2.5 carat RB set in a platinum solitaire which I think can hold it's own -- but for some reason, I can't bring myself to wear one of my favorite rings as the RHR. It's nothing precious, just has a lot of sentimental value... a tiny ruby that that is not even one carat with two small diamonds on either side, in yellow gold. I'd like to wear it as a RHR but for some reason I feel like that spot of color takes away from my diamond.
32.gif

Am I being weirdly paranoid? Do you wear a colored gemstone RHR or do you feel it might take the spotlight off your diamond?

Just look this pic with my cell phone camera... I must be suffering from shrinkage (I blame you, PS!) already if I think a teeny little ruby is going to take the shine off my diamond...

Edited to add: I apologize if this comes off as a weird topic?! But who can I share my jewelry neurosis with if not you guys on PS...

IMG00017-20091231-0721 (1).jpg

exoticisabella

Shiny_Rock
I feel that way too! I also HATE mixing metals and styles. I don''t know why, but it really bothers me to have yellow gold on one hand and platinum on the other. I can''t describe the feeling either. It does seem silly that a small RHR would take away from the beauty of the e-ring - but honestly, I wonder if all of us pricescopers are bit more sensitive then normal to our jewelry. One thing that I started doing is paying attention to other peoples jewelry, and here is what I noticed....

-if you have a LARGE POP of color other then your ering, then yes, it sticks out, but not always in a bad way
-mixing metals actually looks good
-most people have gross caked on dirt rings (or I''m the weird obsessive one!
9.gif
)
-(personally) the more detail you have in a ring, the less beautiful. As your arms swing about in daily activities it all looks like a blur anyway.

morganleFay

Shiny_Rock
What an amazing ring you have!!!

I have a ring I used to upgrade my original set diamond e ring and wedding bands. I wanted something bigger for my 10 year anniversary. So I got a pink sapphire halo with two side half moons in a meele. But I missed my original set. I recently posted my new diamond (larger than the original) that I had set into my original e ring setting and I now wear the pink sapphire on as an RHR. I have gotten a mass amount of compliments on my new sparkler on my old setting (and it is in yellow gold shank/white gold heads that hold the diamonds and the pink sapphire is set in only white gold. I don''t think it takes away from my diamonds at all.
I know a lot of people do not like to mix metals, but I think you should wear what you want to wear. Your diamond is amazing. I don''t think anyone will be looking at the ruby with an amazing diamond that you have.

Wear all your jewelery in good health. I do!!!!
30.gif

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
I have a no-upgrade rule for my e-ring, so there''s a bit of a collection of RHRs
9.gif
. I think the one that gives the nicest balance to my e-ring is a coloured stone (blue sapphire) ring. It''s a 1.60ct (if I remember correctly) oval sapphire with rb diamond sidestones. My rings are all set in platinum, so the metals match. It''s a totally different style of ring, so it isn''t competing. I like gemstone RHRs with a diamond e-ring and vice versa.

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Gleam, I think you''re ok wearing your fave ruby ring! Your beautiful e-ring is absolutely gorgeous and you need not worry that your RHR will detract from it. RHR''s are suppose to be fun, funky, and different so enjoy both of your rings by wearing them at the same time!!

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Hi Gleam, I don''t have a colored RHR, but I just have to say that I don''t think anything could take away from your beautiful e-ring. I was imagining if I saw you with both rings on and I think I would still be blown away by your RB.
9.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I felt that way when I was engaged, but I rock RHRs of all styles and metals now. Give it some time - you''ll get used to your ring to the point that it will look normal with all of the other styles you love.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Well, I''m married now, but I do wear a RHR, and the size difference between my e-ring/w-band and RHR is much less than what it would be in your case. I vote that if you have something that is really special to you, you should wear it - your stunning e-ring will stand beautifully on its own
9.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I''m not engaged or married but I would have no problem with wearing my diamond on my left hand and colored stone rings on my right hand. I think if you had two honking diamonds, one on each hand, there might be some overshadowing going on, but colored stones are different enough that I think it would be fine.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hehe, I wear colored RHRs AND a colored stone ring on my left hand too! (A sapphire thumb ring)

My ering doesn''t mind.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Are pinky rings outdated? This seems like a lovely ring to resize to your pinky on your right.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I''m married now, but I often wore a sapphire solitaire on my right hand when I was engaged (and still do now). The sapphire is pretty substantial (approx. 2.5-ct cushion), but I didn''t feel it competed too much with my e-ring.

mtjoya

Brilliant_Rock
OMG...girl your ring is HUGE! It''s so beautiful too!
12.gif
More pics plz!
11.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mixing and matching is the spice of life! Of course you should wear a coloured gemstone as a RHR. Let''s face it, NOTHING is going to take away from your beautiful e-ring!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
My e-ring is .70 cts, and I wear a HUGE citrine as an RHR! It doesn''t bother me a bit, both rings are stunning!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have a light blue sapphire ring with baguettes in white gold that I wear as an rhr and sometimes as an ering, I don''t mind wearing different colors on wither hand as long as the gold metals are predominantly the same.

chaoticdreams33

Rough_Rock
Well first of all, your rock is huge and gorgeous! I think it would be kind of difficult to take the spotlight off that baby
9.gif

I would say keep wearing the RHR. Personally I don''t have any issue with mixing metals or colors, but I have a little more of an "eclectic" style. But your ruby RHR sounds beautiful and classy, so I don''t see any issue. I will definatley still wear my other rings, and my diamond is waaay smaller than yours.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Gleam your ring is HUGE and GORGEOUS! No need to worry about upstaging that ring
9.gif
I am fine with different metals on each hand (or sometimes even the same hand
3.gif
) and think the ruby ring would be fine and not take away from your ering at all.

Not to threadjack, but I have the opposite question.

MY e-ring is a three stone with a 1ct sapphire and small trapezoid diamonds on each side (maybe .1 ct each). I have short fingers so I like the size, and my DH designed it so I''m not looking to upgrade for a long time, though we might upgrade the sidestones
2.gif
. Anyway, I''d love to get an OMC or GOG august cushion bezeled as a right hand ring in the next few years (either a sleek bezel like Neatfreaks, or a James Meyer bezel). I''d probably be looking at a small to medium stone (.4-.9 depending on budget)...

Would that be weird and take away from my ering?

Gleam

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/2/2010 11:53:45 AM
Author: Bella_mezzo
Gleam your ring is HUGE and GORGEOUS! No need to worry about upstaging that ring
9.gif
I am fine with different metals on each hand (or sometimes even the same hand
3.gif
) and think the ruby ring would be fine and not take away from your ering at all.

Not to threadjack, but I have the opposite question.

MY e-ring is a three stone with a 1ct sapphire and small trapezoid diamonds on each side (maybe .1 ct each). I have short fingers so I like the size, and my DH designed it so I''m not looking to upgrade for a long time, though we might upgrade the sidestones
2.gif
. Anyway, I''d love to get an OMC or GOG august cushion bezeled as a right hand ring in the next few years (either a sleek bezel like Neatfreaks, or a James Meyer bezel). I''d probably be looking at a small to medium stone (.4-.9 depending on budget)...

Would that be weird and take away from my ering?

Bella_mezzo, I love sapphire e-rings... weren''t engagement rings traditionally sapphires? I love love love OMC diamonds... that would be an incredible RHR. I don''t think it would take away from your e-ring. Regardless of size, I believe the eye is first drawn to color... that''s why I felt like a teeny ruby would be upstaging my diamond. I think your sapphire engagement ring would still be the star of the show! A bezeled OMC would be gorgeous.

jjdav

Shiny_Rock
Gleam, your rock is huge and sparkly, there''s no way your colored stone RHR would take away from it. I agree with the other posters, mixing and matching metals could be fun!
5.gif

Like Bella,I have a sapphire ering (in platinum) and my parents gave me a little diamond as a wedding gift, I had Sally from Etsy create a YG Christie setting for it and wear both. I''ve gotten compliments on both
9.gif

Wear''em both and show us more hand shots!
2.gif

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Thanks gleam and jjdav-It weill be while (maybe not even this year) but the OMC RHR is now definitely in my plans
27.gif

jjdav-I love your ring it is so pretty!

Gleam, I can''t wait to see pics of your RHR
31.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ETA: Oops I am not engaged; I am married but I answered your question anyway.
Your ring is gorgeous and huge. I don't think any gemstones RHR will distract from your beauty.
36.gif

I wear a RHR ring every day and generally it is a gemstone. My wrings are YG and I have some WG gemstone rings and wear them without hesitation. All of our beauties want to come out and play.
9.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Well, I am already married but pretty much always wear a color stone RHR when I am not at work. But they are kind of a hobby for me
9.gif

I really don''t think it would upstage your e-ring though. Sentimental pieces are too precious to sit in a box anyway!

turboflgrl

Shiny_Rock
I''m not engaged yet but it''s coming in the near future. When I get my degree this summer, I plan on celebrating with purchasing an amethyst RHR @ Tiffany''s that will match the amethyst pendant from Tiff''s that my boyfriend bought me for our 5 year - I don''t think it will overshadow my ER at all. Especially being on a different hand. The only thing that does bother me is when they are the same shape. My ER will be a round and this ring is an emerald cut - perfection IMO
emsmile.gif

caribqueen

Brilliant_Rock
My e-ring is no where near as big as some of the ladies on here, but I do have RHR that is a pretty substantial colored stone. I used to wonder if it detracted from my e-ring, but I don''t think about it anymore. I don''t think anyone will look at me and say, "the nerve of that lady wearing a bigger stone on her right hand then her e-ring." I also think when I add my two wedding bands, my left hand will definitely upstage the right.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I have a sapphire and diamond RHR and an emerald and diamond RHR. I wear them--one at a time--with my wedding rings and they don't "steal" the show. All of the rings look great together
2.gif

sarah95

Shiny_Rock
I often wear a ring on my right hand. In fact, I love cocktail rings and don''t feel they take away from me ering since I wear them on a different hand. :)

MMMD

Shiny_Rock
This is not a weird topic at all. I am married and wear a 4.5 carat yellow sapphire as my rhr. But my mother feels that my rhr makes my 2 ct. engagement diamond on left hand look small. And, of course, now that she said it, I agree!
7.gif

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I don''t normally wear a RHR, but when I do, I always wear some kind of band or non gemstone type ring. I feel funny about wearing a larger stone RHR on. I think I look too flashy, although some of my RHRs are pretty big, but none of them have big stones.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sure some would consider this overload, but I wear whatever pieces of jewelry I want to look at on any given day. If I feel like a pink asscher and a green peridot, that's what I wear. If I feel like a rose gold and amethyst ring with a bezel platinum stacker next to it, that's what I wear. If it makes me happy, I wear it. My ering will have to learn to share
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results