shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald Cut Diamond RHR Part 3

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a sucker for emerald cuts. In the past few years I've upgraded my EC diamond 3 times. First I had a 1/2 solitaire and eventually traded that in for a new ring and a .71 EC. The shank on that ring split twice in a few months so I asked the jeweler what they could do for me. The offered to make me a new ring in my size at no charge. I thought since I'd be moving my EC I may as well see about upgrading it at the same time. I had a limited budget though so looked for something in the .90 carat range.

I got an EGL G VS1 (the dealer rated it as J VS2). It is .90 ct. Dimensions are 6.11 x 4.66 x 3.21. Polish and symmetry are excellent. No fluorescence. Table 66%. Crown 14%. Girdle medium. Total depth 68.9%.

My .71 ct was rated F Si1. I can tell this diamond has some warmth to it compared to the .71 diamond but it faces up white.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Darn. I can't post pictures. I had to create a new topic on my iPad. I will keep trying.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a collage of the diamond

ecdiacollage.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a collage of ring photos.

ecrngcollage.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is the new one and the old one. The new diamond is not much taller but is certainly wider. The ratio went from 1:4 to 1:3.

_1673.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very nice upgrade! I really like that 3 stone with baguette setting! Planning a Part 4 next? ;)) Kidding!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Illinfire. EC were my favorite shape when I was buying costume jewelry in junior high and high school. When I started to buy gemstone rings I bought ovals, then all the rings I bought were round and now I am going back to EC.

Thanks Enerchi. After the shank on my first ring broke I tried the .71 EC diamond with several different styles of rings and just didn't like them as well. Of course I am always thinking of an upgrade. :bigsmile: The 4 days I was waiting for the ring to show up in the mail I was worried I'd be unhappy with the color and want to upgrade to a F G or H right away but it is plenty white. The YG setting made the F diamond look a little warm anyway.

BTW, the baguettes are .25 ctw.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Well done Marcy! I love EC's also.

cheers--Sharon

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Its beautiful!!! Congrats on your new ring! :appl:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Bella Mezzo, Sharon and 04diamond<3. :wavey:

The sun was shining this morning so I took some more pictures and this one is my favorite. The sun is behind the ring and makes it appear dark but I like how this one really shows the step cuts.

sun3.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
:appl: :love: :lickout: :love: :appl:

That is GAWJ-US!!! (its my newly acquired Ne Yawk accent! :lol: Learned that NY spelling from a new friend - tee hee)

more pics??? please???

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL Enerchi! A guy at work has a very Brooklyn accent; we tease him at some of the things he says. I will try to get more pictures but here is a college I made from some of the pictures I took this morning. I still have 2 more cameras to try. :bigsmile: My DH thought it was far more important to feed him this morning than for me to spend hours taking photos. Weird.

suncollage.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Marcy - your DH is seriously deranged ---- that is not normal practice!! :nono: As a PSer, you simply must put your foot down and not let his needs get ahead of yours! or OURS, for that matter! Diamond pics first, then whatever is left in the empty cupboard for his breakfast --- is next.

"Diamonds rule - all else drools"..... or something like that! :lol: :wink2:

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
So beautiful!!! Congrats!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your sun shining from behind photo! The ring is lovely and the cut of the stone is amazing - its like looking at a mirror in a mirror, if that makes any sense.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have wonderful taste in rings! Lovely!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi, I so agree photos of diamonds come before eating. Priorities, right? LOL to diamonds rule.

Thank you Rosebloom, Minousbijoux and Aprilbaby.

Minousbijoux that does make sense about the mirrors. I think that is what fascinates me about step cuts.

Aprilbaby, I think my taste run towards the plain side but I sure like things that sparkle.

I took a few macros this afternoon so I made a collage of 4 of them. Hopefully I’ll have lots of sunlight tomorrow while DH is playing golf.

macrocollage.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Man I love that ring! I am really drawn to those step cuts ... "look deep into my step cut... deep... deeper...you are getting sleepy...."

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi, so true. Step cuts are so amazing. My favorite thread on PS is the Asscher and Emerald Cut. I love to look through it.

Good news is I had sun briefly this morning so I got a few pictures with the sun lighting up my diamond. DH was out playing golf so I didn't have to worry about feeding him breakfast. Bad news is I believe my old Sony Cybershot is dead. I only use it for macros because it has a thread for screw in lenses and I have some close-up lenses for it. I have another one on my watch list on Ebay right now.

Here are the few shots from this morning that I kind of liked.

_1689.jpg

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
Love the ring! I wear an EC too around the same size as yours, just taller and thinner. I love the baguettes. Mine has two asscher sapphires instead and I'd like to change them to diamonds. But honestly, the EC with baguettes is so classy and timeless. Congratulations on your upgrade :D

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, CharmedOne. I tried to find a picture of your ring but couldn't see it in your topics. Do you have a thread on it? It sounds very pretty and I would like to see it. When I was picking out my ring I saw the baguette ring in the case I didn't think I'd like it so passed on trying it on. But after trying on a dozen or so rings and rejecting them all I decided to give the baguette one a try and the minute they put the EC diamond in it I knew it was the one I wanted.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Marcy your ring is gorgeous :love: :love: :love: I love the setting, it's absolutely classic and timeless. Such amazing photo's,too!
ENJOY!

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
I know what you mean. It also helps that not a lot of gals are wearing them, so they really stand out. I always have to get a good look when I see someone wearing one. I love the way the table catches the light the sparkle is amazing ;-) Here is mine. I want to replace the sapphires because my DH bought me this eternity band and I don't like how they look together. I have been looking for two 3.5mm asscher diamonds at a good price. No luck yet.

imageuploadedbytapatalk_hd1352067824.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Derbygal. Steps cuts are kind of mesmerizing to me. Wait that sounds bad like "ooh shiny".

Thanks Woofmama. Your EC rings are amazing.

Thanks Diamondseeker. I like the proportions better too.

Charmedone. Your ring is gorgeous. I like the sapphires with it but I see what you mean about changing them out to go with your lovely eternity band. I am a sucker for sapphires too. The table and a step cut of an EC can really put off quite a flash. They certainly sparkle different than round diamonds but they can hold their own. I don’t see many EC stones either but they always get my attention.

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Marcy! If you don't mind me asking, what kind of camera are you using? I desperately need a new one, but I have no idea which camera has macro... I think that's the term. Right?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results