shape
carat
color
clarity

Does size really matter? You tell me! NEED CUSHION ADVICE!

Twinmama02

Rough_Rock
I need some advice on choosing a cushion cut diamond. Sorry if I sound all over the place, all of this research makes my head feel like it might explode. My budget is $8500 for the stone and once I buy it I am having a hand forged Ava halo made most likely with Mark @ ERD. So my question is.... I was hoping to get an 1.5 carat antique cushion (I truly do love antiques the most) but as I am realizing that with my budget this might not be possible. I am comfortable with a clarity of SI1-SI2 (just eye clean) but would prefer not to go beyond G/H for color. I saw that I can get a beautiful 1 carat AVC in my budget but it would mean staying with a 1 carat. I checked out some 1.5 carat 'modern cushions' but I am leery of the 'watered down' effect & worry about light performance. I have heard that a fabulous antique cushion with great light return can look just as big as a 'bigger stone.' So what do I sacrifice? Do I sacrifice size for quality? How much difference do you think it makes knowing it will have a halo? I just love the light performance with the well cut cushions & as this is my 10 yr anniversary 'upgrade ring' I don't want to regret my choice. My ring finger is 5.5 and I don't want it to look too small. Has there ever been a thread with pictures that compared this type of thing? Any advice or photos would be appreciated!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Does size really matter? You tell me! NEED CUSHION ADVIC

I'm not an expert, but size was an important part of the equation when I chose my AVC. I was not really concerned with color, but I wanted a great cut and some finger coverage w/o a halo. I think if you're patient you may be able to find a great true antique also.

GOG has some good comparison videos on cushions if you have not already looked.
Also I would compare some antique cushions and modern cushions in that 1.5ct range with the 1ct AVC you are looking at....you may find your answer once you just compare the measurements. I'm not sure If I'd say a better cut looks "bigger" exactly, but it certainly is more pleasing to look at and attracts the eye. I think poorly cut stones just appear dull and unremarkable - especially if you happen to get it next to an excellent cut.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Does size really matter? Well, I guess it depends on who you ask. If you think you would rock a 1.5 carat cushion, then by all means, go for it. I looked at Old World Diamonds and there seem to be quite a few that might meet your criteria and are within budget. I can't recommend one because so many of their listings don't have photos. I'd call Adam and tell him what you want and have him send you a few photos. Narrow it down and then have your top two contenders sent to you.

I'm one of the odd PSers who actually went from a larger stone (over 3.5 ct center with a total weight of 5+) to a smaller stone (2.8 ct.) and was very happy with that choice. I wasn't comfortable wearing such a large ring and have been thrilled with my "smaller" ring. Only you know what will make you happy. If you're thinking a 1ct stone will be too small, then it probably will be.

Twinmama02

Rough_Rock

I have seen GOG's videos and I am more than sold on true antiques vs. the crushed ice look of some modern cushions. I have to stop watching the videos after a while because it depresses me that I can't afford $30k for a nice big AVC. :oops: LOL Anyway, I have too many other blessings to honestly be frustrated about that. It looks like I might have to stick with 1 carat or find some wonderful generic antique cushion.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

In addition to Adam, I'd call Grace at Jewels by Grace. I just checked her website and she has some old euro's in your price/size range, but not cushions at the moment. However, she's getting new stuff all of the time, so I'd call her and let her know what you're looking for.

www.jewelsbygrace.com
www.oldworlddiamonds.com (Adam)

Here's a listing on eBay that looks promising....depends on how risky you are willing to be. There is a 14 day return policy and if there's a trusted appraiser who knows antique diamonds in your area, it might be worth taking a look.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-OLD-MINE-CUT-DIAMOND-160ct-IJ-VS2-/281294226736

Good luck!

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock

Since you are getting an ERD setting, are you working with them to find you a stone? Have you looked at their Royal Chandelier Cushions? I see one out there that is a 1.25ct H SI1 in your price range. I am hardly an expert, but per their website " Our "Royal Chandelier Cushion Brilliant"antique cushions offer a large selection of personally chosen antique cushions for their cut and brilliance." I would love an AVC, but definitely would consider their cushions as well for being a little more budget friendly. Just a thought if you haven't gone down that path yet! I see ERD recommended here for finding true antique cushions as well.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock

I got my GIA antique cushion off of ebay for a lot less than your budget. I looked at many vendors branded cushions and I could not bring myself to spend that kind of money and get a small diamond. I am extremely happy with my diamond.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

My honest opinion is for me yes size matters.

Can I ask why you are spending the money on a hang forged setting from ERD when you could do CAD/ CAST from them? Was pricing close between CAD and hand forged? Honestly I would do CAST/ CAD as ERD has proven they are fabulous with it and put the extra money into getting a bigger diamond. My neighbor has their halo CAST/CAD (I think it is the Ava). When I compared it to my Emilya by VC I was actually pretty surprised how close they were in quality. So that is my .02 cents.

Twinmama02

Rough_Rock

The honest answer is THAT I hadn't even considered CAST/CAD Initially at all. I guess I just wanted to splurge & have something hand made for me. I also want to put 2 birthstones on the underside of the ring. Initially I really wanted Victor Canera to do it but as my budget got tight because of this diamond search, I started looking at ERD for doing the hand forging. But last night I realized that VC vs. ERD was only about $500 difference so depending what kind of deal I can get for my diamond, I might just go with my #1 choice, VC for hand forged.

I am not an eBay buyer anyway so I cannot imagine how to ensure that I wouldn't get ripped off buying it through eBay. I am such a rookie in that department.

pixgirl

Shiny_Rock

If I had a limited budget I would spend most of it on a much larger diamond, get an inexpensive, simple setting and then save up for the hand-forged setting of your dreams. The diamond is the most important part of the ring and if you delay your gratification you can have both size and setting.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

have you checked out pre loved or loupe troop? Lots of gorgeous ones there that fall close to your price range...

Twinmama02

Rough_Rock

That ring is very pretty! I would buy that just for the stone, honestly, only because I really want a different looking halo. But that is BEAUTIFUL! My #1 choice for setting is VC's Emilya Halo. It might be worth waiting on..... hmmmm.... have to give this one some thought.

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

The stone in that ring is really beautiful! Like all things, if there is a budget, somewhere there probably needs to be compromise as well. Getting the size you would want would be one of the C's for lack of better words that you would be able to readily appreciate and see (as opposed to small color differences or even clarity beyond eye clean). If I were making your choice, I would focus on maximizing the budget for the stone and set it in the simplest solitaire that I could find - re-setting the stone down the road could be a fun anniversary project, and you would still be able to hold onto the sentimental value of the stone.

DC519

Rough_Rock

pixgirl|1395949880|3642459 said:
If I had a limited budget I would spend most of it on a much larger diamond, get an inexpensive, simple setting and then save up for the hand-forged setting of your dreams. The diamond is the most important part of the ring and if you delay your gratification you can have both size and setting.

+100 on that!

To me size definitely matters. I'd sacrifice color and clarity (as long as eye clean) for a bigger diamond. That's definitely not everyones cup of ideal diamond tea, but I say simple setting now, bigger diamond now and then setting of your dreams later. Plus it is fun to look forward to something!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree, spend all you can now on the stone and then save for a year or two for the setting. It is worth it in the long term. I am hoping for an AVC one of these days, myself! Look at mom2boys new AVC ring just posted and you'll see what I mean! (Although I am wishing for a miniature version compared to hers!)

Twinmama02

Rough_Rock

I have what might be a stupid question but I am a novice & would hate to learn this lesson the hard way.... If I were to purchase a ring or a diamond off of someone selling it on Loupe Troupe or wherever, what steps should you take to make sure that you do not get ripped off? Meaning how do you ensure that you are getting what you paid for?

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Size does matter to me. I chose spread (diameter) and weight over ideal angles (and certainly over color), though I stayed within a comfortable clarity zone (eagle eyes). That's not the typical path here, though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results