shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you like buying your own bling?

ringmaven

Rough_Rock
Or do you wish your dear spouse would buy it for you?

I see many threads of nice, thoughtful guys searching for the perfect ring for their beloved. They painstakingly search high and low for the perfect stone and setting, and are very invested in the process. My own dear husband is NOT interested in jewellery, and cares more about the things that really matter: treating me with kindness and respect, spending quality time with me, and making me dinner! Haha! I've got it pretty good! And as much as I can buy my own diamonds with our shared bank account, I sometimes pine for the kind of jewellery that is meaningfully given to you... but my man is just too practical for that!

Does anyone else feel this way? Or are you just psyched to obtain bling with your husband's blessing, irrespective of his involvement?

Obligatory ring pic to jazz this thread up a little: imageuploadedbytapatalk1426881573.jpg

This is my engagement ring that we picked out together. I love it, but he was soooo not interested in the ring! More interested in marrying ME, haha, so that's ok.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm picky, he sets the budget I buy the bling!

lilsweetie

Rough_Rock
I love the process of trying things on, comparing options and deciding on what to get. I take my time as it is enjoyable and somewhat of a hobby.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
I like buying it myself. :) My husband has good taste but he's more likely to resort to the same theme time and again (Tacori) and he's not up on jewelry trends. Plus, I love researching it all and finding the best deal possible. It's a hobby. He does the same with golf clubs and cars.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I pick out my own jewelry, and am perfectly happy doing so! We've been married for many years, and at this point I know he is devoted to me and he shows he cares in many other ways. He understands that jewelry is a very personal choice and we both agree that it is such an expensive purchase that it's better to be sure it's something I will like. And he knows that the hunt is most of the fun anyway! :cheeky:

ringmaven

Rough_Rock
I was not sure I wanted to start this thread, but you guys have really helped me see things in a whole new light! Imagine if your sweetheart spent time, money, and effort to create a beautiful piece for you...
And it wasn't your style?!

That would be bad. Haha makes it all the better that he lets me buy myself what I like :)

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
DH doesn't buy me jewelry and I prefer to keep it as such.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have mixed feelings on this. I want what I want, but I also want DH to be on board and show some signs of interest. I don't understand his hobbies but I do my best to listen, subtly gather information (it's not very subtle in all fairness but I do try, I just can't make talking about dreadnought shaped guitars seem as natural as I'd like), purchase one of his listed wants, and he does his best to be surprised. I think that's a win-win situation!

There are a couple of things on my want list such as a pear shaped diamond pendant and a yellow gold bangle bracelet. They aren't things I would upgrade and I think DH could easily pick them and give them at a suitable occasion. Even though they are things I want I'd be surprised at at least the timing of the bling I'm sure.

There has to be something between all on my own and a complete surprise, and I'd be more than willing to try to strike that balance.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I do not buy my own bling, I would not have any blings at all, except for the ones my mum has given me.

I get a lot of satisfaction spec'ing and buying my own stuff, house, car, jewellery etc. etc...

DK :))

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
ringmaven - can you post a couple more pics of your e-ring? It's very intriguing and different! :appl:

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
He buys motorcycles. I buy jewelry. We are both passionate and particular about what we like, so we give each other free reign to indulge in our "toys."

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1429640246|3865395 said:
I pick out my own jewelry, and am perfectly happy doing so! We've been married for many years, and at this point I know he is devoted to me and he shows he cares in many other ways. He understands that jewelry is a very personal choice and we both agree that it is such an expensive purchase that it's better to be sure it's something I will like. And he knows that the hunt is most of the fun anyway! :cheeky:

Totally agree. I am picky about what I like as is he and we each choose our own gifts. That might not be romantic to some but for us that shows our love. Giving me complete freedom to choose whatever I want to get. And he does go jewelry shopping with me to all my favorite places even though it is not a favorite activity of his he gladly goes with me. That's love. :bigsmile:

Ringmaven, I second the request for more ring pics. Your ring is beautiful.

ringmaven

Rough_Rock
maccers|1429648702|3865459 said:
ringmaven - can you post a couple more pics of your e-ring? It's very intriguing and different! :appl:

Sure! I would love to, but can someone confirm for me that I am allowed to post photos and discuss details of a labradorite ring in this forum? I know there are strict rules about what we can and cannot talk about in some areas, and I want to make sure I stay on the right side of things. :)

And may I say, thank you for your interest and kind words! "Intriguing and different" is exactly what drew me to my e-ring.

Victoria10

Shiny_Rock
Oh I love threads like this to hear other perspectives. I think we are in the middle but gravitate to me pick everything then he eyes it and pays. My third and last diamond upgrade initially I was there to help pick it out but then found pricescope he read thru info and felt more comfortable to buy without me because I really wanted one diamond as surprise 100%. He already knew what I wanted and setting too. He has his list and I have mine ( which is growing everyday thanks to pricescope :Up_to_something: ) It makes easy for b-days or holidays. We don't spend much on some things but we always gave gifts when we can. Rhea that is my Dh hobby too so I understood what you said :) oh and beautiful ring ringmaven

ringmaven

Rough_Rock
missy|1429650008|3865470 said:

Totally agree. I am picky about what I like as is he and we each choose our own gifts. That might not be romantic to some but for us that shows our love. Giving me complete freedom to choose whatever I want to get. And he does go jewelry shopping with me to all my favorite places even though it is not a favorite activity of his he gladly goes with me. That's love. :bigsmile:

I like the sounds of the way you and your DH do things :)

And thanks for the nice compliment! I look forward to posting new photos :) I just need someone to give me the go-ahead that labradorite is A-ok in this thread.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ringmaven|1429650262|3865475 said:
missy|1429650008|3865470 said:

I like the sounds of the way you and your DH do things :)

And thanks for the nice compliment! I look forward to posting new photos :) I just need someone to give me the go-ahead that labradorite is A-ok in this thread.

I think it is OK. I just did a PS search and there are other posts re labradorite. I cannot think why it wouldn't be OK. If I am wrong someone please correct me. Also you can just email the moderator and ask her but I believe it is fine.

ringmaven

Rough_Rock
My engagement ring is a labradorite "rainbow moonstone" ring set in a triangular sterling silver setting. We found it on etsy and I fell in love with it! I *so* wanted a chevron or triangular shape incorporated somehow. And I really, really wanted to get married to this wonderful guy I found, and did not want us to break the bank in order to do it. So for $175, we had an engagement ring, and three months, $7000 and 50 guests later - we were married! Hooray! I am still really thrilled about it all :)

My wedding band is platinum with three baguette diamonds. I adore it for its understated elegance. Found it on etsy for $400 - a price I'm quite proud of, considering how expensive platinum can be!

I am now making plans for a right-hand ring, and sometimes wish my dear husband was a little more invested in the process. But really, he doesn't care, just wants me to be happy, and that's ok! We have almost paid off our student loans (hooray!) and I'm planning a three stone ring in a gorgeous platinum setting: centre stone around 0.50ct with 0.25ct sidestones. Classy. I think it will be completed for our one-year anniversary in August.

But after cruising Pricescope I also really really want a padparadscha ring with trillion sidestones... haha and the list could go on forever.

So that's me! I'm new to pricescope, but a longtime lurker. I looooove jewellery and all it represents: history, art, beauty, skill, glamour, etc.

_29296.jpg

_29298.jpg

lab2.jpg

wedding_3.jpg

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
I would love for DH to buy me exactly what I want and to surprise me with lavish gifts, but he doesn't really understand what my criteria is for selecting jewelry and we don't have the income that would allow him to surprise me with jewels and diamonds on a regular basis. He has an excellent eye for fashion and aesthetic, but I have very specific ideas about the pieces and quality of the items that I want in my collection. We discuss the budget and I order it (after researching/obsessing which is fun for me). He is happy that I get what I want. It works for us. I only get really big gifts for the big anniversaries (anything ending with a 5 or 0). He spoils me in so many other ways and is the perfect hubby for me and amazing father to our boys so I don't really mind.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous rings and I love your romantic story too. :appl:
Yay for being almost finished with student loans and not going into debt over any bling. You guys did it right and you have beautiful rings to show for it too!

And the fact that your guy wants you to be happy above all else. That is golden and don't worry about him not being into bling. Most men aren't and the main thing is that he wants you to be happy. :appl:

Welcome to PS and glad you are posting. :wavey:

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
Ringmaven- I love your gorgeous engagement ring and beautiful baguette band! :love:

Congratulations! Marriage is fantastic!

ringmaven

Rough_Rock
Thank you, Crystal24k and missy! I look forward to posting my three-stone ring one day... :love:

Victoria10

Shiny_Rock
Congrats with being newlyweds and soon to be 1 yr anniversary!!

Love how you went about getting your jewelry and staying out of debt that is most important. many blessing for years of happiness as couple.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you saw my husbands taste (which is usually the polar opposite of my own) in jewellery you wouldn't want him to choose anything for you. Ever. Period. :lol:

ringmaven

Rough_Rock
arkieb1|1429654801|3865522 said:
If you saw my husbands taste (which is usually the polar opposite of my own) in jewellery you wouldn't want him to choose anything for you. Ever. Period. :lol:

LOL! I love this. You guys are helping me find so many upsides :)

HegemonyCricket

Shiny_Rock
ringmaven|1429642429|3865417 said:
I was not sure I wanted to start this thread, but you guys have really helped me see things in a whole new light! Imagine if your sweetheart spent time, money, and effort to create a beautiful piece for you...

That would be bad. Haha makes it all the better that he lets me buy myself what I like :)

You've hit the nail on the head. I do not like being surprised with something that is not precisely my taste. So, I buy my own jewelry, and my husband buys his own Magic: the Gathering cards. :lol: :lol: :lol:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with most of the other posters that there is no one who could choose my jewelry for me, and certainly not my husband! He gave me one small jewelry gift before we were married and I taught him soon after that that I was very particular and it would be better for both of us for me to be involved in picking out my jewelry gifts! That made me happy and him happy! I get what I want, which he likes, and also he doesn't have to shop and then me exchange what he buys! Win-win!!! :lol:

As others have said, this is my hobby and he has his hobbies. I would never in a million years buy him a car as a surprise, so it works both ways!

ringmaven

Rough_Rock
HegemonyCricket said:
ringmaven|1429642429|3865417 said:

You've hit the nail on the head. I do not like being surprised with something that is not precisely my taste. So, I buy my own jewelry, and my husband buys his own Magic: the Gathering cards. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Omg, such a perfect example! I love it!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I pick out my own, there is no way my husband would even attempt at buying something for me on his own. He knows I am a PS'r.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
ringmaven|1429646796|3865449 said:
ame|1429643396|3865427 said:
DH doesn't buy me jewelry and I prefer to keep it as such.

May I ask, why?
Because he knows that he is not "anywhere near as knowledgeable and won't risk buying something that won't meet my standards." He laughed out loud when he saw me reading it. "Like hell I would dare wade in that kiddie pool! That's like me buying you a cell phone or a bra or makeup. You're OCD as it is, and me involving myself in your compulsions to research your obsessions? No thanks!" Those are direct quotes from when he read this thread over my shoulder.

We are of the mind that it's from joint coffers and no jewelry or large purchases are made without both parties being involved. He also knows that I am very knowledgeable about diamond cut quality and specs on the diamonds included in my pieces, and he knows he is "not up to those standards of knowledge" so he would never risk selecting something not up to those standards. When I want something new, he usually won't even offer an opinion. Rarely if ever, even. The only things I can recall that he's ever offered an opinion of regarding jewelry was when he thought a wedding band was overwhelming, and when he liked one setting over another. Oh and that he thinks my studs are "way too small" and thinks I should have gone larger. He questions my dainty stud "thing" every time I wear them.

Even my engagement rings were not a surprise--he would not ever spring something like that on me, we went together, we discussed budget, we were both involved in all of that every time (we had a lot of ring drama and jeweler drama). I was 100% involved as was he. The only thing about my proposal that was a "surprise" was what time during the day he was going to do it.

The fact that he knows me this well, I think, is a good testament to our relationship. I know he said he likes this arrangement!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results