shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Upgrade: My Personal Story

MichelleJ

Rough_Rock
Custom jewelry, especially engagement rings, are an incredibly personal endeavor. It requires a commitment of varied resources – monetary, time, and partnership – and when done right, your custom piece becomes an extension of you, representative of the inner-workings of your personality that may not be outwardly recognized otherwise.

For the architect designing the piece for him/herself, the art of custom jewelry becomes a passionate thrill ride as you consider the details that will define your piece. For the gifter (or person proposing), the idea of designing something as deeply personal as an engagement ring could feel daunting. Whether you are the architect or the gifter, acquiring a trusted advisor will be the most important step in the process. And in my personal story, my trusted advisor not only ensured that my vision was met to fruition, but also made the journey equally memorable.

My husband and I decided to pursue an upgrade of my engagement ring three years ago. With that endeavor in mind, I began researching custom jewelers in the tristate area and eventually found Perry Chen in NYC. Perry’s thoughtful and timely communications, as well as his extensive knowledge and experience within the diamond/custom jewelry industry, affirmed my decision to work exclusively with him.

While I waited patiently for resources to align, Perry and I stayed in contact. Not once did he make me feel as though I wasn’t important, despite the fact that I wasn’t going to be able to pursue my upgrade for a few years. He never turned down an email or meeting request, and was always pleased to provide diamond tutorials as he knew I was incredibly intrigued by the process of diamond cutting and grading.

In June 2016, I was finally able to move forward with my upgrade. I provided Perry with my parameters (desired carat size, color, shape, setting style, and budget) and a few weeks later – after Perry had spent countless hours reviewing the inventories of his suppliers – he scheduled a meeting with me to share his top picks for my consideration. The steps that follow occurred rather quickly. I picked the diamond, met with Perry to review the different setting options, and a few weeks later I received my beautiful engagement ring. He was able to have the ring custom made and delivered by my desired date.

I trust Perry, completely. He maintained my best interests in mind and worked to ensure that I would have the ring of my dreams. My ring is a personal testament of how rewarding a working partnership can be when you choose the right advisor. I encourage those who seek a diamond/custom jewelry advisor to consider Perry Chen. You will be glad that you did.

Perry can be reached at [email protected]

Below are a few pictures of my beautiful art piece. My ring embodies how I want to live and who I want to be – simplicity in its solitaire setting, timeless elegance in its cathedral arches, unwavering passion in its double claw prongs, and fearlessness in the modern brilliance of the diamond.

Specs:
Cushion Modified Brilliant
2.10 carats
E color
SI1 clarity
Cathedral setting in platinum, set low
1.8mm band width
4.25 ring size
Excellent symmetry
Excellent polish
Fluorescence: none

img_2695.png

img_12500.jpg

img_12501.jpg

img_12499.jpg

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome Michelle :wavey:
I love your very thoughtfully written post. Your stone and your ring are simply exquisite! So very lovely on your hand.
Congratulations on your stunning upgrade!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS :wavey:
Your ring is stunning!!! Both the stone as well as the setting radiate luxury. Who created the setting. Does Perry have his own bench?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS Michelle. :wavey:

Your diamond is gorgeous and I love your rings. They look very elegant and classy on your hand.

Marcy

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful and icy white! :appl: Did Perry make the setting as well using his own bench?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome and congratulations on a beautiful ring! I love the simplicity of the setting paired with the plain band - would love to see many more pictures of the set!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Job well done! :appl: and welcome to PS.. :wavey:

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for sharing your story! Your ring is simply stunning! :love: Congratulations! :clap:

Welcome to PS! :wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous ring!!! :love: Perry is good at finding nice diamonds! (I am also curious about who he is using for bench work.)

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats! Perry has such a great eye for cushions. Beautiful ring.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous diamond and classic setting. Elegant and beautiful! :love:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm. Well, I have to be honest - it sounds a bit more like Perry Chen's personal story than yours, if you know what I mean. And I can't say I've ever heard anyone talk about the 'unwavering passion' or 'fearlessness' of their ring - but good for you. There's no denying it's a beautiful ring.

I would love to hear more about you, though, and what you and your husband think of your new piece. Did you have an e-ring previously? As in - was this a big leap for you? A lot of us work up gradually, but for some of us our first upgrade is a big one and the only one! Is this your dream ring, or do you see yourself moving up again from here? Also, did you do any price comps? I have often wondered how Perry's prices compare to some of the other vendors recommended on these boards. Who else did you research and what made you knock them out? I live near the tri-state area, and I am *always* (to my husband's chagrin!) looking for new jewelers! And ditto the above comment - does Perry have his own bench? I apologize for all the questions, but each person's experience here is valuable and brings more information to the group, so each and every one is worthwhile sharing.

Anyway, congrats on your new ring and welcome to Pricescope!

MichelleJ

Rough_Rock
Thank you, everyone, for your warm welcome! I am quite shy and don’t communicate over blogs/social media very often. I was so appreciative of my experience with Perry, that I felt compelled to submit a review on Pricescope.

From my understanding, Perry spent a good portion of his career on the bench and managing a team of talented jewelers, but now works with his talented network of jewelers on a per project basis.

I had an engagement ring prior to my upgrade, and I would constantly ask myself, “Am I selfish for wanting something different?” I struggled with that. When I started the journey towards my upgrade, I started with acquiring as much information as I could about the process. Gaining a better understanding of the process helped me recognize that it wasn’t so much about the physical ring; for me, it was about the experience. I wanted to create something. I had a vision and I wanted to be involved in bringing it to life.

I don’t think I will pursue another upgrade in the future - I think it’s “one and done” for me :) I feel complete.

This is a wonderful community. Everyone is so supportive of each other. Thank you for your encouragement.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Michelle, congratulations that your first go at this upgrade thing was so successful and that you and your DH are so happy with the result. Perry sounds like a great fit for you. Please do tell us about his bench.

Yeah, your write up reads a little like an ad, but maybe that is because you are just a very passionate, thoughtful and articulate writer. ;-) we would not object to MORE pictures of your stunning new ring. I do love it with the plain band. An E must be blindingly white. Congratulations!!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an absolutely stunning ring! I too am a solitaire lover, and I have to say this is one of the most perfect cushion cut rings I have seen! It's beautiful! :love: And welcome! :wavey:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jaw drops.. gosh it is so beautiful! lovely lovely work!!! thank you so much for sharing your jouney!!

:love: :love: :love:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, beautiful! Glad to hear that you have something you love and makes you happy! :appl:

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Remember how, when Perry worked for Leon, and people would get mad at Leon for being unscrupulous and post about it here, people would come out of the woodwork to say glowing things about Leon? It would be their first post on Pricescope, much like this one, and everyone would know it wasn't a real customer. If Perry were to want to announce his new business, I imagine the announcement might look *exactly* like this one. Food for thought.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, beautiful MichelleJ! Thanks for sharing your positive experience.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results