shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Hunting: My Leon Mege and Perry Chen Experience

diamond924

Rough_Rock
I recently received a diamond ring from Leon Mege. I would like to post my experience as I benefitted from the posts of others.

My husband and I met and married while in school. He gave me a beautiful 1 carat F VS1 excellent cut round brilliant set between two trilliants in platinum. We both love the ring and I wear it happily everyday. He was very happy too but when he saw the engagement rings my mother (she does not wear anything with a center stone less than 4 carats) and some of my friends wore, he vowed to buy me a bigger diamond when he could afford it.

It was never a big priority in our first ten years of marriage, but more of a joke. As all couples do, we fight and if he was egregiously wrong, I would tease him that his actions added a quarter of a carat to the promised upgrade. If he was VERY wrong, he would add on a half carat and he volunteered a carat after the birth of our child. If he had to endure an event for me and it was a particularly horrible experience, he would deduct from the size of the promissed upgrade. Over time, we lost track of how big the upgrade should be. One day he joked we should probably buy that diamond because if he waited any longer, the upgrade would get so big he would never be able to afford the diamond he owed me. This was almost 2 years ago.

I began my research. I started my search with our family jeweler who had just made me a beautiful pair of diamond earrings for our 10th anniversary. Unfortunately, the size and shape of diamond I wanted (5 carat oval without a noticeable bowtie) was not terribly common and after working exclusively with them for 8 months I decided to try other sources. We travel frequently and our search consisted of fine jewelry stores in Los Angeles, Chicago, Las Vegas, and New York. This included the usual suspects, Tiffany's, Cartier, Harry Winston, Graff, Van Cleef and Arpels, and Leviev. Excellent customer service all around, each with their pluses and minuses.

As a member of the PurseForum, I fell in love with Leon Mege’s work. I learned about Pricescope and started lurking here and learned about Victor Canera, Whiteflash and GOG. I interacted with all these sources and would happily answer any questions about them.

A year into our search I decided to contact Perry Chen, Leon’s diamond concierge. I was extremely impressed on many levels. I quickly found that of all the contacts, Perry had the largest selection of diamonds to choose from. After giving him my criteria, he quickly sent me a long list of available diamonds. I flew into NYC and Perry was kind enough to drive in on a weekend and meet with me as that was the only time my schedule would allow. I was trying to decide between a fancy yellow or white diamond and he showed me both. In our prior discussions, Perry mentioned how hard it would be to find a well cut oval and he was right. The ovals he showed me were beautiful but nothing spoke to me. I did fall in love with a fancy yellow cushion and was close to purchasing it, however, DH was too concerned about a feather near the girdle and my clutziness and history of smashing an emerald cut diamond. After coming so close to finding a diamond, I burnt out and gave the search a rest for a couple of months.

In the meantime, my travels took me to LA, so I met with Victor Canera to check out his work. Victor is a very pleasant young man. Very eager to please and does beautiful pave work. Unfortunately, I was not excited by his selection of diamonds and his prices were higher than Perry’s. I did enjoy meeting him and will probably have him make something for me one day. I grew so tired of looking I came close to paying the extra money for a Harry Winston ring we both liked.

My travels brought me back to NYC and Perry drove in again on a weekend to show me some stones. I decided to give up on the oval this time and opened myself up to cushions and radiants. He showed me three stones and I fell in love with all three, but one really stuck out. I then met with Leon, who was very pleasant and accommodating. There were a few things I wanted, which I could tell he did not agree with, but he was always pleasant and accommodating, noting that I was the customer and things would be done the way I wanted it. You could see his incredible design aesthetic at work when discussing the ring. Because the sidestones I wanted needed to be re-cut to suit the diamond, I had to wait six weeks for the ring. This seemed like torture, but here is a video of the end product which my husband and I felt was worth the wait. I would post pictures but I can’t seem to take a picture that does the ring justice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPAdBlfcz2s&feature=plcp

A lot has been written about Leon. We all know he has an incredible sense of design. He deserves all the accolades afforded him and them some. I found him very pleasant to work with and would definitely go to him with my next project. What needs to be said more often is what a great service they offer with their Diamond Concierge. I can not say enough about how pleased I am with my experience with Perry. He was great to deal with and incredibly responsive. I never had to wait very long for a reply to any of my questions. I never felt pressured to buy a diamond. After the first visit failed to yield a purchase, Perry was still as pleasant to work with. He was genuine in his desire to help me find the diamond that would make me happiest even if it meant it cost less. I also found he has an excellent eye. I think it’s easy to get bogged down in the numbers and reports analyzing a diamond, that we often forget what you see is the most important quality.

I also found sourcing a diamond through Perry offered me the best value for my dollar. He always presented me with stones that represented their size well. In my search, I quickly tired of seeing diamonds that looked a carat less that its actual weight. I noticed this was NOT an issue at the major design houses and I can see that there are definitely some advantages in working with them for rarer objects. I am convinced that’s since Perry’s family is in the diamond business, he must have some inner connection to the other diamond cutters out there, because I saw a bigger selection of diamonds meeting my criteria with him than any other vendor (including the internet.) In fact, when I had my diamond appraised, the appraiser mentioned how impressed he was with the cut of my diamond, as usually something of that quality would be found in the major design houses.

Although it took a couple years of searching, I rest easy knowing I went with the best out there and that I could not have gotten a better ring for my money elsewhere. I highly recommend Leon and Perry and will most certainly be working with them again in the future. Thank you for your time reading this post and if you have any questions about any of the vendors and design houses mentioned above feel free to ask. I have gotten to know most of them well during this search.

diamond924

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I was stunned when I saw the video and even happier when I received the ring. :)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Whhhaaat, no hand shots? Phooey..... :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

diamond924

Rough_Rock
Will try to post hand shots if I can get my act together, though my hands are dry and nasty (unlike the beautiful hands of most of the ladies here...). I think they would detract from the beauty of the ring... ;-)

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The little tale between you and your husband adding a carat/deducting half a carat for your upgrade made me smile, it's so funny yet sweet. And, the ring is absolutely gorgeous, you definitely need to post more hand shots now that you have teased us with the video! :love:

Thanks for posting your review on working with Perry and Leon. We are going to be in the process of looking for a pear with very specific specs, and I was worried that most vendors would give up the hunt, since as you mentioned, it is really not easy! Knowing that Perry has received yet another thumbs up makes me even more inclined to work with him.

diamond924

Rough_Rock
Alexiszoe|1351356503|3293550 said:
The little tale between you and your husband adding a carat/deducting half a carat for your upgrade made me smile, it's so funny yet sweet. And, the ring is absolutely gorgeous, you definitely need to post more hand shots now that you have teased us with the video! :love:

Thanks for posting your review on working with Perry and Leon. We are going to be in the process of looking for a pear with very specific specs, and I was worried that most vendors would give up the hunt, since as you mentioned, it is really not easy! Knowing that Perry has received yet another thumbs up makes me even more inclined to work with him.

If you have not already, I would encourage you to contact Perry. I was amazed at the number and quality of stones he has access to. I contacted almost everyone during the 2 years. Good luck with your search! I look forward to seeing your pear. :)

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
HOLY COW!!! I'm glad your husband was wrong a lot ---- that's a STUNNING centre stone and the completed ring is incredible!! Wow - What a beauty! I can't imagine how thrilled you must have been to receive that and put it on for the first time --- I wouldn't have been able to concentrate for the rest of the MONTH!

I hope you'll slather up your 'dry hands' and take a million pics for us - that deserves to be shared!!! Congratulations Diamond924!!

D

Deactivated member 42515

Enerchi said:
HOLY COW!!! I'm glad your husband was wrong a lot ---- that's a STUNNING centre stone and the completed ring is incredible!! Wow - What a beauty! I can't imagine how thrilled you must have been to receive that and put it on for the first time --- I wouldn't have been able to concentrate for the rest of the MONTH!

I hope you'll slather up your 'dry hands' and take a million pics for us - that deserves to be shared!!! Congratulations Diamond924!!
Yes please!!! Slather away!! We've gotta see hand shots! Your ring is wayyyyy too beautiful to not be shared with the world!

diamond924

Rough_Rock
Enerchi said:

Hee... I could not sleep the night before the ring came. My husband has been teasing me about the time I've spent "petting the ring."

I have to get ready for a wedding today, but will try to post pics tomorrow.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is stunning, gorgeous, absolutely, knock down, drag out beautiful! the sidestones fit like a glove - perfect proportion and perfect size. I LOVE this ring! I love you two, you sound like a really good, strong couple, just in the way you describe the playful banter in your relationship and the fact that he encouraged you to start the search.

Please hand shots, please! I want more diamond ****!!!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
canuk-gal|1351355834|3293547 said:
HI:

cheers--Sharon

This!! Don't you know I'm going to be dreaming about your ring tonight! I need photos please!!!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow that's beautiful! Do I even need to mention how stunning the center stone is? Aside from that, what really caught my eye is how perfectly the side stone fit the star of the show!

It must be absolutely spectacular on the hand - please do share some shots with us when you have a chance!

And... congratulations on the relationship behind the ring!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stunning, congrats!! :appl:

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
yennyfire|1351375216|3293728 said:
canuk-gal|1351355834|3293547 said:
HI:

cheers--Sharon

This!! Don't you know I'm going to be dreaming about your ring tonight! I need photos please!!!

Exactly! It's so so so beautiful! How fun to be able to wear it to a wedding tonight. Enjoy!

GoldFish8

Shiny_Rock
That is such a funny and totally sweet story! I think this is without a doubt my favorite ring! :love: :appl: :love: I really would love to see handshots too!

Schafenm

Shiny_Rock
OMG that is amazing!!! I hope to work with leon one day when it is time for a setting change!! Please handshots!!!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, can't wait to see the handshots! I you could also give us a real life perspective photo that would be great, too!

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
Superbly wonderfully astronomically gorgeous ring! :love: :love: :love: :love:
I don't care if your hands look like alligator covered skeletor hands, I need pictures! How can you leave me like this! Waaaah!

Your story was so sweet. You two sound very much in love. Thank your for sharing about how the upgrade size worked, I'm going to use this on my husband. :Up_to_something:
By the way, does your mum loan out her jewelry to you? Because if she does I could easily be an adopted daughter! :lol:

I must admit, when I read that you were searching for a five carat oval, my heart skipped a beat. That is something I would have loved to see. Ovals and cushions are my favourite.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Please post your pix. Even if you don't thnk they do the ring justice, we PSers have great imaginations. PLLLLLLEEEEEAAAAASSSSSEESE!!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG! That ring is GORGEOUS!! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

6ct of beautiful white diamond (I'd bet it's a D-E and/ or it has MBF :wink2: ), set in an amazing setting!! I LURVE it!! :appl:

Isn't Perry an absolute darling?! And Leon has always been very polite and accomodating towards me. What a great team! So glad you had such a wonderful experience with them!

I second, third that request for handshots! :tongue:

[Now you make me want another ring, one just like yours!! Not good, not for our bank a/c!! DH will kill me! :cheeky: ]

justginger

Ideal_Rock
That ring is absolutely incredible - congratulations and wear it with much happiness. :love:

I worked with Perry when looking for my last ring as well. Though in the end I didn't choose one of his stones, he was so kind and attentive through the whole process. I would never hesitate to recommend him to anyone, nor use him again myself. :appl:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
More pictures! I don't care if they don't do it justice, I must see more of it!

You and your husband sound so adorable - I am happy that you guys have such a huge and fabulous symbol of your commitment to each other. Wear it in health and happiness!

diamond924

Rough_Rock
You are all too sweet! I am very blessed to have such a loving husband and we consider ourselves fortunate that we still have fun with each other despite the twelve years of marriage. ;-)

I did try lathering up as suggested so the hands don't look as nasty, but I am not very good with the pictures. The video really captures the ring better. The diamond is EXTREMELY sparkly, which is what drew us to it. In fact, when we were checking out the diamond, I was walking around Leon's showroom to check the diamond out in different lighting and my husband said he could see it glistening from another room.

I've attached a few pictures of my stubby fingers (after seeing Phoenix's gorgeous ring and hands, I wish she were here to model it for me...) with the ring. I'm afraid my lack of photography skills don't do it justice... :)

img_232.jpg

img_1093.jpg

img_1086.jpg

img_233.jpg

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the story, and LOVE the ring! WOW. :love: :love: :love: :love:

I'd be petting that thing all the time, too!

Looking forward to hand shots!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
This is one of the most beautiful and perfect rings I have ever seen. Please ... we do need more photos!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results