shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom ring help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I was on here a lot last year when I was looking for my engagement ring. The one I wanted was an antique and you would not believe the hours I put in looking for something close. A few months ago I gave up on having an antique, which really wanted, in favor of having the ring I wanted custom made. My mother works in a jewelry store part time, so we were using the fabricator they use. I just got the first wax back and it looks NOTHING like my ring. It is heavy with very little detail and the shape is wrong. She had a number of good sized pictures, but it wasn't close. I am not sure what to do. I can ask her to make changes, but I am not convinced she has the skill to do it. If I go with someone else, I have to pay for a new wax, it will hurt my mother and insult the jewelry store owner who is willing to give us a very nice deal on the wedding band. What should I do? I don't want this ring. Do you think I am over reacting and she does have the skill? If so, what should I tell her so the ring looks like it is supposed to, when she clearly didn't get the idea this time around? I am really upset, please help.
I keep getting error messages when I try to post the other pics. I may have to try again in the morning.

Ring2OpalMistletoe2-400.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's a hard ring to replicate, very detailed, etc.. If it were me, I'd only give this project to someone that is up for the challenge and has the skill to achieve it. Plain and simple, I think you know the answer. Post pics of the wax for sure. Many times they look heavy. When all is said and done the wax looks so different from the final product. But if the shape is off, then the whole look of the ring will be off. I'd pay the fee for the wax, and then take it to a more experienced craftsman. JMHO, I do understand that you are in a difficult position being that your Mom works there. Just know it's a very hard ring to replicate ,the detail of the gold, the shape of the ring and the opals, all involve a labor intensive process to achive the look you want. This ring isn't one to be made by the faint of heart. Best of luck, do extra research to see who has the skill to make this for you. It's a lovely ring.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well you have two options:

1. Let the jeweler make you a ring you don''t want and be stuck with it.

2. Tell the jeweler politely that the wax is not what you want the ring to be and just move on.

I think the answer is obvious-it''s not pleasant, but you have to tell the jeweler you''re not happy with the wax and you don''t think the ring will turn out the way you want it to. I think if you''re extremely polite and apologetic they won''t be too offended. And you could always have your mom play the "gosh my kid is picky-sorry!" card so she won''t feel awkward.

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Hi Brazen, Thought you could use a hand with the wax picture.

MissTRing.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
On one hand, waxes often look a LOT heavier to me than the final product. That is normal. But the shape is off and I am not quite sure they captured the ring correctly, which WOULD worry me.

I personally would want to make sure it''s perfect. So I would only give something that complex to a master goldsmith...even if that meant not buying from your mom''s store.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have a front facing picture which maybe part of the problem. However, this ring has been pictured in two books, one of which is in the local library. I am really hoping that helps because I really can''t upset my mom since she is paying for the wedding and has been very generous.

monnikk

Rough_Rock
Very unique ring! =) If you''re not happy with how you think it will turn out, I would suggest stopping the process and perhaps giving the job to someone else. Remember that you''ll be wearing the ring for the rest of your life (unless of course you upgrade ;-) ) and it would be sad if you didn''t like how it looked. Perhaps you could have a carefully worded heart to heart with your mom about how you feel?

Good luck with whatever you decide! =)

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I got up the nerve and talked to my mom. She was very understanding but pointed out to me that there was no other custom jewler within 100 miles who would do better and I think she is right. Denver is not exactly the center of antique jewelry copies. This leaves me with a real problem though. I have looked in 4 counties, including in Paris where the ring originated, online in 3 languages and I have checked ebay everyother day for over two years and have found no other piece that had what I liked about this one. I am completely dispondent and have no clue what to do. I refuse to pay all that money for a ring I don''t like, but my wedding is a year away and I have run out of options that I can think of. Unfortunately sculpting is the one art I cannot do or I would try my hand at it.
Any advice? Jewelry shopping has become a nightmare.

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
Don''t let it stress you out. Are you settled on dealing with a local jeweler?

You can always locate an online PS jeweler who would be willing and capable of recreating that ring. They''re always able to show you the wax before you settle on a price, and the craftmanship of the PS jewelers is exquisite, and I''m sure they''d be able to accomodate your needs.

I can''t think of any jewelers who would be able to recreate that, but I''m sure others on here can chime in.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
brazen, while I admire your individuality, are you sure you want a ring with so much spread as an ering? I ask because I''m not sure how you''ll fit a wedding band and that on one finger...have you considered that? That said, you could send the photo of the wax and the real photo to Pete at Quest...People here have had good experiences with him and he seems to have very good people who can duplicate anything. I think he''s in the DC area? Ellen know''s his contact info...

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would also try Singlestone. Apparently they do great antique style custom work. I agree that the wax is very different from the actual ring. I really wouldn''t have them make it since it''s so far off. I''d e-mail a few online vendors and see what they have to say. Good luck!

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
One of the things about the ring that I like that others don''t have is its north south orientation. I have exceptionally long, very thin fingers. I am currently wearing a ring that is not long and it looks off on my fingers. I was actually not planning on having a wedding band so its not a problem.
I am going to aspen next weekend and they have a lot of antique jewelry stores. If I have as little luck there are I had in europe then I will seriously look into doing one of the people here. My one concern is that with a ring so intricate and long is not seeing the wax makes me nervous.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results