shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom e-ring inspired by cartier

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

buenomota

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone out there. After doing months of research on the pricescope forums, I have decided to buy a custom made e-ring for my girlfriend.

To pay back the pricescope community for all that I have learned and possibly help someone who was where I was at a few months ago, I will document the whole process from start to finish.

Since I don''t want to finance anything, I set my budget to 5000 total (we are still young and she can always trade up one day). In order to get some good ideas on what her tastes are, we went to several jewelry stores (Cartier, Tiffany, Shreve and Co, a small jewler in Houston...etc). 2 rings really got her attention: The first was the Scott Kay 3 stone with pave'' stones set on each side of the side stones. The second was the Cartier 1895 with the semi pave setting.

My gut instinct tells me the Cartier is much more appealing... I just think this is a really classy setting and it would look perfect on her hand. The center stone sits very close to the ring and the design just really seems to flow quite well. The Scott Kay just seemed a little to "busy" for lack of a better word.

I knew Cartier would be out of my price range, so I visited them several times and really studied the design in order to have something similar custom made. Over 9k for a .81 G VS2 in this setting. Call me crazy, but a little red box does not justify that kind of mark up!

I will attach pictures of the setting. It has a total of 10 diamonds on each side that when combined, weigh .5 carat. The diameter looks to be about 2mm or so. Since my girlfriend''s ring finger measurement came out to me 3.75 (long slender fingers), this will look perfect even though the center stone is only .81.

After reading all of the good reviews about Whiteflash, I decided to go with them. I saw an "A Cut Above" .81 H SI1 for about 3300 (minus the wire transfer discount). Perfect. I know I could have gone higher in color or carat weight by getting a regular AGS0, but my instincts tell me to get the ACA, so I went for it. Also, Whiteflash has a great trade in policy. I am a little concerned about the "H" since I can clearly tell the difference between a "G" and an "E". All that matters, though, is how it looks in the setting and I from what I have read, I can trust the guys at Whiteflash.

I sent Bob Hoskins at Whiteflash several pictures of the setting and he agreed to have it made. The only difference is that this version will have 5 diamonds on each side that are graduated. The biggest is 2.1mm and the smallest is 1.7mm. They are ACA diamonds as well. The price for the custom setting came out to 1420. When all is said and done, I came out spending about 500 less that my max.

Currently the setting is being designed and it should be complete in about 10 days or so.

Here is a link to the center stone:
http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_Details.aspx?itemcode=AGS-5820303

I am also including pictures of the cartier setting. The picture with the pave'' setting does not give a good view of how the center stone is set. The solitare picture does, however.

I will post the progress as it comes. Any comments would be appreciated since this is my first diamond purchase. I am such a rookie!

cartier_front.jpg

buenomota

Rough_Rock
Here is the pave'' version of this ring. The picture really does not do it justice.

cartier_pave2.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks fabulous!! I really love the Solitaire basket head, yum!!

Please post the final pix when everything is done!

buenomota

Rough_Rock
Price: $3,295.00
Report: AGS
Shape: A Cut Above H&A
Carat: 0.810
Color: H
Clarity: SI1
Depth: 60.3
Table: 56
Crown Angle: 34.9
Crown %: 15.3
Pavilion Angle: 40.5
Pavilion %: 42.9
Girdle: Thin-Medium Faceted
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 6.07-6.09X3.67

center_stone_pic.jpg

buenomota

Rough_Rock
I sure will Mara. I have read plenty of your posts and learned a lot.

I almost went to Joe Escobar, but did not find any settings I liked on their website. Also, I thought about going to the Gift Center / JewelryMart in SF, but I saw that ACA from whiteflash and decided to jump on it.

You have an ACA right?

What is your opinion on my center stone selection?

Thanks!
Josh

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great story !
36.gif

Will the ring have 6 prongs (like the first Cartier picture) or four prongs (like the second) ?

Can''t wait to see the results, of course
1.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
From one Josh to another
2.gif

You did a great job picking out this stone. WF has beautiful stones and you won''t be dissapointed. Take it from a past 2 time customer...
21.gif

buenomota

Rough_Rock
Holy crap. I just posted and within a few minutes I have several responses. You guys are great.

Thanks for the positive feedback!

To answer your question, Valeria, I want the 4 prongs. I want to make sure that they do not turn out too thick. I have seen some settings with really thick prongs and thought that they really distract from the center stone. I only have .81 carats to work with here!

Thanks again.
Josh

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, this project of yours sounds like my own setting for my e-ring upgrade!
18.gif

Congratulations and do remember us and post pictures when it is done!
36.gif
30.gif

michela002

Shiny_Rock
Awww, that is going to be beautiful. Wonderful job and congratulations to you both
4.gif

Cath

Shiny_Rock
What a classic setting. The ring is going to be fabulous -- I can''t wait to see how the rest of the story progresses!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
ooh looks great! can''t wait to see the finished product
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s going to be awesome, you did a great job picking out the stone. Can''t wait to see the finished product!!!
36.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
congrats,H si1 is the way to go, ex choice
36.gif
your stone is the new line ACA.

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
Very nice....looks like the stone will realyy sparkle
36.gif
36.gif

And the setting is gorgeuos
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2005 3
6.gif
1:29 AM
Author: buenomota
I sure will Mara. I have read plenty of your posts and learned a lot.

I almost went to Joe Escobar, but did not find any settings I liked on their website. Also, I thought about going to the Gift Center / JewelryMart in SF, but I saw that ACA from whiteflash and decided to jump on it.
You have an ACA right?

What is your opinion on my center stone selection?
I actually have an ES from WF, or an almostACA as I like to call them...it was intended to be an ACA when it was being cut, but something was not spot-on for Brian, whose eye is very particular, so it was put into an Expert Selection category which can mean fabulous savings on a fabulous stone!

Your stone looks really lovely! The angles are quite nice, the image is beautiful, I think you made a great selection. I think it will be just stunning in the setting you are creating for it!

In terms of Joe Escobar, they actually have TONS of settings in their store, maybe some that aren''t on their website, who knows. I love going in there to just try on different things, it is there that I got the inspiration for my ring and having diamonds eternity style, I loved the MB settings, and also a few Scott Kay ones. Also I went in there to figure out what sort of w-ring I wanted, I tried on tons of various eternity styles, they have so many rings! It''s a great place to shop around and figure out what you want, their prices are competitive as well and staff is friendly. Too bad I am so custom oriented, I don''t know if I will ever really buy a stock piece, custom is just so much fun!
1.gif

Congrats again!

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
I love the pave version of that solitaire! Years ago, my mother gave me a ring almost exactly(only .50 ct center, in YG) like that one from Macy''s Union Square Jewelers. I traded it in later towards earrings. I still adore that design.

It should be spectacular!
30.gif

buenomota

Rough_Rock
Here it is. I am going to pick it up tomorrow. Thanks for all of the support. Please feel free to comment on things I should look out for.

In my opinion, from the pictures I think that whiteflash did a great job.

Thanks again!

custom_j_ ring.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
BEAUTIFUL! very nice...congrats!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Pretty sweet! Congrats!

cheers--Sharon

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Wow, it''s beautiful!
36.gif

I bet you will be blown away when you see it in person!

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
OMG--I love this ring!!!!!!
30.gif
Just gorgeous!!! Congrats!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

michela002

Shiny_Rock
WOW!
30.gif

Oh my god what an amazing job!!!!!!! Whiteflash outdid themselves. You must be so pleased! The ring is amazing, it looks so perfect!

You must post hand shots once you have them!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
OH boy- that''s a sweet, sweet design.
WF knows their stuff. What a beautiful piece.
I love it.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just love seeing the ideas you sent Whiteflash and how they took all of your ideas and created exactly what you wanted. It''s a beautiful ring and I know you fiancee will LOVE it
30.gif
30.gif
36.gif

buenomota

Rough_Rock
Well folks,

After over a month of keeping it secret, I finally popped the question. I wanted to wait for the weather to be nicer.

We went to a secluded little beach just north of Santa Cruz and south of Davenport (just about where Hwy 1 intersects with 84). We climbed down the cliff and went to a very secluded part.

If you look closely at the picture, we were in front of the first cliff and facing that rock formation in the water with the green stuff (I know...green goop...how romantic) on it. You can just barely make out the path we walked to get up there. It was quite pretty despite the green stuff.

e_weenend_4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results