shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion Halo Reveal + Need Advice!

LoveMeDo

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone! I decided to take my RB center stone from its original 3-stone setting and reset it into a cushion halo for our 5 year anniversary. My tastes have changed, and I never really "took" to my original setting. Since I know that there are a lot of halo lovers here, I wanted to share some pics and also get some advice. First, the pics!

ring1.JPG

ring2.JPG

ring3.JPG

ring5.JPG

LoveMeDo

Shiny_Rock
Now here are my two questions:

1) The center stone is currently set in double prongs, and slightly lifted from the halo. From head-on you don't see any gaps, but if you look in the side from an angle, you definitely see a little gap. This is driving me a little bit nuts, to be honest. Both of my jewelers strongly advise against lowering the stone, and I'm not exactly sure why. They said they didn't know why I would want the stone to be flush since that would be hiding the stone.

It's not going to be bezel set, just lower in the halo, so is that really going to affect the look of the diamond that much? Looking at the side view of my ring, do you guys think the diamond is set too high?

2) I brought my ring back to add some additional diamonds to the split shank, and when I got it back, I saw that there had been some miscommunication which lead to the side profile accidentally being altered. Here is the before and after. You can see that there used to be a sliver of gold that almost looks like an opening. When I got it back, they had added stones to the corners to take away all of the shiny gold.

I'm a little bit devastated by this and think it now looks a little "thick." The gold strip before almost looked like an opening, and it broke up the look of the ring a little bit. The jeweler thinks it looks more cohesive now, but is offering to fix it if it really bothers me. Wouldn't bringing it back to its original state mess up the ring? I don't see how they would do that. Do you guys think it looked better before? Sorry about the terrible quality on the second photo - it's from my phone.

ring4.JPG

ring6.jpg

LoveMeDo

Shiny_Rock
Forgot the diamond stats, for those of you who like to know. :lol:

EGL
2.01 ct
H
SI1
Ideal cut / Hearts & Arrows
Faint fluorescence

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First of all, gorgeous ring!! :love: I love cushion halos. I think the height is fine personally. If it bugs you, just tell them you want it lowered. I do have to admit I liked the profile better before though. I don't understand what they did to it?

LoveMeDo

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much! I really love the ring overall - it feels much more like me. :D

They added pave to that little strip, which basically filled up the plain gold space with diamonds. What they were supposed to do was add stones to the side of the setting where the split bands meet the head of the ring, but they clearly got confused.

I think I'm definitely going to ask them to bring it back to its original state, but I am freaking out that this will wreck the ring or end up looking messy! I'm so sad that this mix up happened. :(

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww, don't be sad, the ring is still gorgeous either way!

I hope they will be able to fix the profile back to the way it was, but if not, it still looks beautiful.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous ring! I love the cushion halo and the split shank!!!!

Now to address your questions - I personally don't like prong set halos. I prefer bezel set because they sit lower and eliminate any chance of an airline. I also don't like prongs "covering up" the stone. That's my personal preference and I understand you don't want it to be bezel set. Did you specifically ask for "no airline" when communicating with your jeweler? My guess is that they can probably reset it lower without an airline, if that's what you prefer (and it seems as if it is). As far as the profile is concerned - I prefer the look before and agree that it looks a little thick in the after shot. I would ask them to re-do it as long as they can guarantee that it will look like it did in the before pic.

Good luck! I hope they can work it out to where it exceeds your expectations!

Mrs.W 514

Brilliant_Rock
I totally understand how you are feel about the mix up. After bringing my ring in for the third time to be fixed I sat down with the actual bench person and described in detail what I wanted fixed and how. I even drew on the ring with a sharpie to emphasize the area in which the changes would happen, its amazing how inattentive/unobservant a jeweler can be. I would be wary of having the pave removed because it is going to be hard to cover up the small holes drilled for the diamonds. I would probably just leave it but still point out the misunderstanding and have the original change made.

As far as the diamond being too high I'm not sure it is and I tend to be pretty critical of the "diamond sitting on top of the halo" look. I see the gap you are talking about and the stone could be lowered and, IMO, it would only improve that stunning profile.

I Love your new ring, cushion halos with round diamonds make my knees weak... and that split shank :love: :love: :love: :love:

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Your diamond is gorgeous and it looks fantastic in its new home!

I think you should have them fix their mistake. Its going to bug you if you don't. I also don't see why it would be an issue to lower the stone and I agree with you that it would look better a little bit lower, but it also looks beautiful the way it is.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
stargurl78|1323307410|3076612 said:
Your diamond is gorgeous and it looks fantastic in its new home!

I think you should have them fix their mistake. Its going to bug you if you don't. I also don't see why it would be an issue to lower the stone and I agree with you that it would look better a little bit lower, but it also looks beautiful the way it is.

Totally agree regarding the profile- if you want it fixed, get it fixed. I have to say I agree with you- I liked the profile better before.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the before profile better but either way it is a gorgeous ring!!! I love round stones in non-round halos!

lovetea

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much, everyone. I went back to the jeweler today, and he is either going to remove that section altogether via laser (so it's open), or he is going to start over with a new ring if it doesn't turn out how I want it. I really appreciate all of your opinions!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
lovetea|1323400145|3077588 said:
Thank you so much, everyone. I went back to the jeweler today, and he is either going to remove that section altogether via laser (so it's open), or he is going to start over with a new ring if it doesn't turn out how I want it. I really appreciate all of your opinions!

How did everything work out??

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amys Bling|1326861090|3105639 said:
lovetea|1323400145|3077588 said:

How did everything work out??

Yes, we'd love an update. I hope it worked out. :)

Abbey2289

Rough_Rock
LOVE your ring!! :love: where did you get it? I'm looking for something similar and I'm having no luck finding "my" ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results