shape
carat
color
clarity

curious about what you think-

yasssss

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

I saw a question like this posed by someone else so I thought I'd give it a whirl.
I've posted about my ring before but for those of you who don't remember, what carat weight does the stone look? my ring size is a 6.25. Thanks for indulging me!

20140419_130900.jpg

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
No idea, 2cts? I'm terrible at this sort of thing, but it is an absolutely gorgeous ring!! :love:

yasssss

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much gwendolyn! Its a fairly new thing and i can't get over it!

Anyone else care to take a guess :naughty:

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
While we wait for more guesses, want to post more pics of your ring, yasssss? :naughty:

yasssss

Shiny_Rock
yay I love sharing photos! I haven't taken that many yet though =/ tried to take some outside to capture some sparkle but i dont know how to do this well! but here are a few !

20140328_135605-1_0.jpg20140412_221637.jpgimg_0332__1_.jpgimg_3809_0.jpg20140422_163741_1.jpg

DorotheaBrooke

Brilliant_Rock
Gooooooorgeous ring! The diamonds on the basket are divine. I know very little about this cut of diamond, so I'll guess 2 cts with the others.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll guess 1.5 - 1.6 carats. Beautiful!

GeorgeStevens

Shiny_Rock
My admiration of a jewel has little to do with its weight, except to say this: a tasteful and proportional ring always beats an ostentatious and gaudy ring. Take comfort in that, not in a guessing game with internet strangers.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GeorgeStevens|1398221939|3658309 said:
My admiration of a jewel has little to do with its weight, except to say this: a tasteful and proportional ring always beats an ostentatious and gaudy ring. Take comfort in that, not in a guessing game with internet strangers.

Well said GeorgeStevens! Well said. :appl: :appl:

yasssss

Shiny_Rock
Thank you everyone for your guesses!

GeorgeStevens, you are absolutely right and I truly LOVE my ring, I think its stunning and looks spectacular. The reason I started this thread however is because I don't think my stone looks its size- I'm not sure if its because of my bigger fingers, the diamonds spread, etc. While it does not change how I feel about my ring or how beautiful I find it to be, I was curious about whether others agreed. My fiance invested a lot of time and money in my ring and I want it to reflect its true size- this would also help me decide if I want to put a halo around it in the future, what my wedding band would be, etc. I am not seeking comfort in a guessing game with strangers at all, instead I was seeking the opinions of unbiased diamond afficionados who have a trained and knowledgeable eye for this sort of thing- and would either validate my thoughts on it, or render them unfounded. Girls in our social circle wear boulders on their fingers lol (3ct and over is the norm) and I had a girl come up to me and ask me the weight of my center stone- when I told her (even though I felt it was weird and wildly inappropriate) she responded with "oh it totally looks like a carat smaller than that". This concerned my fiance and I could tell that he was slightly perturbed by it, so I really just wanted to see what people thought. I figured this, of all places, would be the space and forum to do that. I was never looking for a huge rock, my fiance actually picked out a much bigger stone but I didn't find it to be as pretty and didn't want an egl certified stone.I love my stone and adore my ring overall - its exactly what I wanted (as you can probably tell by the countless pictures :love: ) I just thought it would be helpful to see what people thought.

the stone is 2.09 carats :twirl:

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Well .. that was a jerky thing to say. She could just be unaware ... but rounds do face up larger which could be what she is used to.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I actually think it looks like it is closer to 1ct, but weight doesn't really matter. How large does it face up? What is the mm size?

yasssss

Shiny_Rock
2.09ct - GIA I/VS2 – 7.46x7.12x5.00mm – Depth 70.2% - Table 76%

so it does look like a one carat ... :sick: ?

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Your ring is gorgeous, but some cuts face up smaller because of the cut than others. A round brilliant over two carats would face up larger, same with a pear or an oval.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
I thought it looked like a 1.5 ct but that might be because it's in a very low profile setting. I think if it was in a more raised setting it would appear larger, especially with a ring size over size 6. When you pair it with a band it will also have more presence.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I was going to guess somewhere between 1.25-1.5.
I really wouldn't be too concerned with how big your ring looks to others. It is a lovely ring and you seem very happy with it (as you should be!), so I wouldn't put too much thought into how the ring is perceived. Enjoy your ring =)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
admittedly i have no idea for princess cuts because I know they face up smaller than other shapes. But i had a feeling you asked this question because you think it doesn't look as big as you would like it to, so i didn't want to guess.

Does everyone know that? i doubt it. So what will the normal person guesstimate when they look at it? i have no idea.
does the person know a princess face up smaller?
Does a person usually look at poorly cut diamonds in general which are usually deeper? (this is not to say your diamond is poorly cut, just that by comparison they may think a 2 ct is smaller than it should be)
"Does a person really know anything about ctw at all?
Does the observer know your finger size or that finger size effects the perception of ctw?

these things will vary for everyone you meet, so don't let it get to you. If you like it thats what matters. If YOU want people to see it as larger, get a stone that looks larger for the ctw, like oval or marquise or pear. If YOU don't like the size of it, change it. Better to admit it to yourself now rather than leave it and let it simmer.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was acutally going to say around 2.. but not because it looks huge.. it looks lovely and I love your setting. But as others have said a Princess will face up smaller than a 2 ct round and yours looks like a good size Princess. My 2 ct. MRB is 8.13 x 8.10 x 4.98. Emerald Cuts and Asschers will also face up smaller.

Your ring is stunning looks perfect on your hand and I love the henna tatoos! (hope I spelled that correctly). :bigsmile:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1398255503|3658459 said:
admittedly i have no idea for princess cuts because I know they face up smaller than other shapes. But i had a feeling you asked this question because you think it doesn't look as big as you would like it to, so i didn't want to guess.

Does everyone know that? i doubt it. So what will the normal person guesstimate when they look at it? i have no idea.
does the person know a princess face up smaller?
Does a person usually look at poorly cut diamonds in general which are usually deeper? (this is not to say your diamond is poorly cut, just that by comparison they may think a 2 ct is smaller than it should be)
"Does a person really know anything about ctw at all?
Does the observer know your finger size or that finger size effects the perception of ctw?

these things will vary for everyone you meet, so don't let it get to you. If you like it thats what matters. If YOU want people to see it as larger, get a stone that looks larger for the ctw, like oval or marquise or pear. If YOU don't like the size of it, change it. Better to admit it to yourself now rather than leave it and let it simmer.

I got the feeling that OP wasn't happy with the size too and that's really what this thread was about. I agree- if you don't like it, change it. Otherwise, enjoy your beautiful ring:)

GeorgeStevens

Shiny_Rock
So some people you know are borderline ostentatious and gaudy in their taste and have insecurities about their social standing. And because they're insecure when they walk into the exclusive country club, charity gala, or private jet terminal, they want you to be too. They want you to envy them and to use words like "boulder" to describe a piece of carbon that weighs 0.0014 pounds. Got it.

Try not to buy into it. There's a lot to be said for living a quietly dignified life below your means with occasional luxuries and hobbies but without insecurities around money, social standing, or the weight of a piece of jewelry.

Mrs. Stevens would get along well with you.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1.7 carats to me :) any way it's beautiful!!!!!

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
GeorgeStevens|1398297343|3658810 said:
So some people you know are borderline ostentatious and gaudy in their taste and have insecurities about their social standing. And because they're insecure when they walk into the exclusive country club, charity gala, or private jet terminal, they want you to be too. They want you to envy them and to use words like "boulder" to describe a piece of carbon that weighs 0.0014 pounds. Got it.

Try not to buy into it. There's a lot to be said for living a quietly dignified life below your means with occasional luxuries and hobbies but without insecurities around money, social standing, or the weight of a piece of jewelry.

I really don't think that OP's question is a reflection of insecurity. OP is asking a legitimate question and should not be lectured about why she is asking the question. Several of us come on PS to ask questions about size, color, setting, etc. because we want to see if or how we can maximize the value of our diamond (although typically we do it in RT not SMTB). OP is no different. She wants to know if her diamond appears to be the size that her fiance paid for.

OP, if you can still do something in terms of returning, exchanging, then I see why it is helpful to you to post this question. And even if you can't, but you have a nagging doubt or plain curiosity, you are in your every right to ask and have people answer your question without being lectured.

When I first saw your ring, I did think it was a 1.25 but then I saw more pictures and I thought 1.5.

GeorgeStevens

Shiny_Rock
Please do not assume a person's intent, either mine or OP's. OP posed a question and she got a wide variety of answers. Nothing wrong with that.

For the record, I don't think anyone can possibly judge a ring size on the basis of a few pictures on the internet, which is why I've refrained from offering my opinion (for once). And I don't think size matters anyway. You may disagree with me, but I'd appreciate your doing so in a less disagreeable manner.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I really hate these threads because it seems the OP wants to see what others think of her ring. Bad idea ALWAYS on an internet forum. If they get a lot of "boulder" comments they love it but if the ring gets anything neutral or negative then it plants seeds of doubt. It seems the OP really liked her ring before and based off 1 comment from a stranger planted that seed and then comments here just added to it.

OP as you already ready fancy cuts face up smaller then other cuts like modern round brilliants. I'm sure you are well outside of the return period so know your ring is lovely and it was picked out by someone who obviously put a lot of though into it. Stop worrying about it and enjoy your ring and engagment period. This is supposed to be a happy time in your life not worrying about why your 2ct princess faces up like a 1.3ct MRB. If it bothers you in a few years you can always upgrade.

yasssss

Shiny_Rock
braga123 said:

I really don't think that OP's question is a reflection of insecurity. OP is asking a legitimate question and should not be lectured about why she is asking the question. Several of us come on PS to ask questions about size, color, setting, etc. because we want to see if or how we can maximize the value of our diamond (although typically we do it in RT not SMTB). OP is no different. She wants to know if her diamond appears to be the size that her fiance paid for.

OP, if you can still do something in terms of returning, exchanging, then I see why it is helpful to you to post this question. And even if you can't, but you have a nagging doubt or plain curiosity, you are in your every right to ask and have people answer your question without being lectured.

When I first saw your ring, I did think it was a 1.25 but then I saw more pictures and I thought 1.5.

Thank you everyone for your feedback!!! I am enamored with my ring :love: :love: :love: and this is not my first thread about it :D I just wanted to use the forum to explore this thought! this whole wearing an eRing is a brand new experience so I am just finding any excuse to discuss my ring and all the musings that come with it! whether it looks like a 1 ct or a 3 ct, I am still smitten with it, was just curious because of what that girl said to me. Admittedly, I did feel for my fiance when I read in this thread that the stone looks smaller than what it is, but I don't think that guessing carat weight of peoples rings is a normal thing in real life lol so I'm not worried. the person who will be looking at it most is me, and I cant get over how delicate and beautiful and sparkly and unique it is! Plus, my fiance loves it on me ;)) I love that he took such care and put in so much effort in the ring, it makes it all the more beautiful to me.

Thank you braga123 for your post! I was regretting starting this thread but your post made me feel better!

and thank you MayK! I loved my henna +fresh mani + princess combo! loved my hands that day!

thanks again everyone!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
2 carats. WAY to large to be a one carat or a 1.5 carats.

angeline

Ideal_Rock

I don't think the above was referencing the OP as being insecure, but rather those who would make rude comments about her ring as being insecure.

Anyway I just wanted to say what a refreshing change of tone Mr GeorgeStevens. Thank you.

Edited to add: I think your ring is gorgeous, and that it looks exactly right for your finger. And that it looks 2cts for sure. Enjoy it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results