shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Nile Ring, please critique setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

elensil

Rough_Rock
I have ordered it online, now, after seeing face to face, I think I hate the setting. Please comment

http://www.bluenile.com/princess-cut-diamond-ring_5776?filter_id=0&nav1=band_channel.asp&sort=LTHP&catid=138&set_shape=

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
What is it that you don''t like about it?

elensil

Rough_Rock
The diamond are beautiful, the setting lacks any elegance what so ever, its too thick, too much metal

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yup, it''s pretty bulky and basic...have you checked out Vatche? They have some settings that look like that but are much more fluid and beautiful IMO.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
It''s pretty basic, but I wouldn''t say horrible.
1.gif
That said, if you''re not loving it and can still return it, you might want to see if you can return it and get something with a little more personality.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it. I''d have to see it on to really judge, but if YOU''RE not happy - that means return it.

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with others about it being pretty plain... it looks like any 3-stone ring of that carat weight that you can buy at a mall store. If what you ordered is a smaller ring size (say, 5) perhaps the metal won''t look quite so bulky IRL... however if it''s a larger size, I''d probably agree with others about there being too much metal. I''m not sure what size is shown in the photo (stock size is usually 6.5 I think).

Additional pictures would definitely help. If you aren''t crazy about it though, you should probably return it.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
It''s hard to tell what it might look like in real life from the CAD images online. I actually thought I would hate my own engagement ring setting when I saw the CAD images on Blue Nile, but I absolutely adore it in person. I''d like to see it on your hand before I judge, but if you hate it, there is no reason to keep it. BN has a 30-day return policy, so I''d take advantage of that if you really dislike it.

lesco

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/2/2008 3:43:16 PM
Author: elensil
I can take some pictures this evening
Yes pictures would be helpful. CADs are very misleading. I don''t personally hate it. It''s a simple design and there is nothing wrong with that.

These sort of things might bother you more as time passes . If you don''t love it, you might be better off returning it.

What bothers you about it, is it craftsmanship, design or it''s just not what you were looking for?

sklingem

Brilliant_Rock
I think that hand shots would also be great. While some may describe it as plain and basic, others would describe it as simple and modern (right?). As for the thickness, it really depends on your hands/fingers. If you have small hands/slender fingers it may indeed "overpower" them. If you have a bigger ring size it may be just the right thing for you and provide more coverage. Unfortunately there seems to be a "consensus" that thin bands will always look more elegant and/or make the stone look bigger. IMHO this is NOT the case if you have a bigger ring size. In that case, a very thin band may make your fingers look a lot BIGGER than what they are (imagine a strangled Dachshund).
Good luck!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that it is a pretty ring, but what matters is that you are not too happy with it. If you are not liking the ring now, then I doubt that you will like it tomorrow. I would love to see your pictures as well.

elensil

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your comments, I haven''t expected this forum to be so lively and helpful:) I am actually the "giver" of the ring, so no on-hand images:) I have alrealy initiated the return process with Blue Nile. I have realized that I would have never looked at this ring twice if I was browsing a physical store, so no second thoughts here. If really adore Niwaka designs, do you think that authentic Niwaka is worth it, or would you browse through immitations if there are any?

Thanks again

lesco

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there, that was an easy decision to make. I''m not too familiar with Nikawa so no help there. I''m sorry.
Just to give you some food for thought, have you found out what would be your future fiance''s preferences for an e-ring? Would she like this sort of design?

april diamonds

Shiny_Rock
I have Niwaka wedding band and to me it was worth every penny. Their service is fantastic and the workmanship is excellent. It is a premium however, which is a minus. But my husband only found rings there that he liked and it was nice to buy rings from the same store...but I probably would have bought this band anyway since it was the one I really loved.

Another minus is that if you ever need anything fixed i think they have to ship it back to Japan to do the work. So for me, I am in NY it would take awhile to get anything taken care of. Their engagement ring designs are beautiful, I only didn''t get one because most of the stone sizes for their settings are smaller than what I wanted.

If you''re near a store it would definitely be worth checking out to see in person. And if the price tag is just too high then go for an "inspired by" piece. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results