shape
carat
color
clarity

Big reveal! 3.15ct antique Marquise by David Klass!!

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
The single cuts at the tips are right at the edge so no more metal can be removed. I really do love and adore this thing so I am going to love with t through the weekend and see how I feel about it Monday. It is SO comfy to wear, his luxury fit is spectacular and I can't believe it took me so long to try a thicker band!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suppose it's a little pointier than I thought it would be since you said you wanted a rounded ring or rounded halo. Do you think a halo that is scalloped or more rounded like your drawings would fix the problem? Or is it that the marquise shape just isn't going to work for your lifestyle? Or what about a smaller marquise that didn't extend all the way to your knuckle?

What a major bummer!! But I totally understand wanting a ring you can wear anytime.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could get the tips more rounded that would fix the issue you are having with it. It looks super comfortable to wear and stylish, so hopefully before you sell it you consider that as an option...

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Niel|1443784903|3934014 said:
Sphene|1443773972|3934006 said:
It sure is a beauty and has much as I was in love with your original this is far better does so bring out the color of the diamond :love: :love:

However seeing your wedding ring I would have definitely gone with polished band but leave the rim satin - but that would be my personal chose it I owned the ring sadly for me I don't lol

Hope you are much recovered from your Op

Why say that now in a SMTB? Usually the time to keep opinions like that to oneself

.lovely ring.... I cannot wait for your own photos!

The lady herself will understand why I said this has it was part of the debate regarding her reset and am confident would not be put out and appreciate the honesty - especially as the lady states the ring may not have fulfilled the brief anyway - i.e not scratching her children.

I am wondering maybe pendant this one possibly in its present setting as it is a beauty and PSers can assist in your new journey. Cannot wait for next week to discover how you progress :appl:

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
arkieb1|1443852243|3934364 said:
You could get the tips more rounded that would fix the issue you are having with it. It looks super comfortable to wear and stylish, so hopefully before you sell it you consider that as an option...

I wish I could have him remove more metal at the tips but the single cuts are so close to the edge, if he were to round it off it would upset the single cuts.

You are so right, it is THE most comfortable ring I have ever worn and I will definitely be having him make me this same ring if I get a new stone.

JDDN, I think the marquise shape (which I adore) is the problem sadly!!

Sphene, oh my if I could keep this diamond as a pendant I sure would! Alas I would need to sell it to fund a new stone. It will break my heart to sell it.

Will keep you posted :)

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's a lovely ring but too bad the tips are still sharp. I was under the impression that you reset with the intention of having rounded tips so am surprised that the reset came back with sharp tips. A suggestion would be to remove all the single cuts and have a plain bezel so that you can round the tips. How about just removing the diamonds at the tips and round the tips?

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
But there would be holes.... I guess they could be filled? I hate to jeopardize the bezel strength. I'll ask

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rounded tip or no a n/s marquise will scratch

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe a strange notion how about a very soft cotton glove with fingers or without - keep it tucked in to belt, pocket or sleeve etc and pop on prior to picking up or playing with children then you get to keep this dream ring

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I fear you are right Niel. I love this ring and am so torn on what to do. The size will be hard to beat and unattainable in an antique cushion, as the spread of this thing is pretty insane (I like the elongated ones so you can set them east west).

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
aww I'm so sorry to hear about the ring being sharp, Rainbowradish. I've been following your threads on it, and it's so gorgeous and unique, but I understand the impulse to consign/sell if you think you might not wear it as much as you'd like.

I also like to wear my stuff 24/7, and I'd be very disappointed if one of my everyday pieces had to sit in the jewelry box. I just wanted to say I do love the setting, and it looks amazing on you, and I hope you can find a choice that you are comfortable and happy with. :wavey:

JJMMXX

Rough_Rock
Absolutely stunning. What an amazing piece of jewelry.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thecat|1443887794|3934468 said:
It's a lovely ring but too bad the tips are still sharp. I was under the impression that you reset with the intention of having rounded tips so am surprised that the reset came back with sharp tips. A suggestion would be to remove all the single cuts and have a plain bezel so that you can round the tips. How about just removing the diamonds at the tips and round the tips?

I was thinking the same thing, ask David if he can remove the diamonds in the tips and redo the tips only so they are more rounded in shape. Or redo the whole thing with more rounded ends. Explain the problem you have with the ring, let him and his bench people offer suggestions.

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
That's a great idea arkieb1. I guess I feel silly since he has already remade the ring once but it is a lot of money I have spent at this point and I hate to feel like it is not quite right. David is amazing and I am sure he will work with me on it, I just hate to overstay my welcome. Last night I was thinking of asking him to cast the exact same ring but not do diamonds in the bezel so he could really round off the ends. That was my original goal and I was a bit surprised by how pointy this one turned out. I love everything else about it!

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
therainbowradish|1443968430|3934731 said:
That's a great idea arkieb1. I guess I feel silly since he has already remade the ring once but it is a lot of money I have spent at this point and I hate to feel like it is not quite right. David is amazing and I am sure he will work with me on it, I just hate to overstay my welcome. Last night I was thinking of asking him to cast the exact same ring but not do diamonds in the bezel so he could really round off the ends. That was my original goal and I was a bit surprised by how pointy this one turned out. I love everything else about it!

I know you don't want to overstay your welcome by asking DK to remake another ring, nor do you want to just fill in the holes and risk structure integrity. But such fixes are easy. The bench will remove your diamond, laser off the bezel. You can ask him to remake new bezel around your diamond. Then he can attach new bezel to ring. So the bezel you get back won't be the holey one. Pay him for this modification if you feel bad about it but don't sell your diamond due to a bezel issue. As you said, it's hard to find such coverage with other shapes.

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks Sphene, this shape just is not going to work. It is catching on everything so it will be going to Grace this week to be sold. And yes, it could be cut into a moval but it is such a beautiful stone as is that I have been advised not to. I'm sad but ready to find the right one. I'm emotionally exhausted lol.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
therainbowradish|1444229768|3935777 said:
Thanks Sphene, this shape just is not going to work. It is catching on everything so it will be going to Grace this week to be sold. And yes, it could be cut into a moval but it is such a beautiful stone as is that I have been advised not to. I'm sad but ready to find the right one. I'm emotionally exhausted lol.

Ah, I'm so sorry to hear this but sounds like you're making the right decision, as tough as it is. I get wanting to wear and enjoy your ring without worrying about poking, catching etc. There are lots of beautiful diamonds out there, you will find another one you love that fits your lifestyle better! Hugs, and I hope you're doing ok with your recovery and feeling better.

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Aw thanks junebug! Recovery is painful but getting better each day :)

I feel I gave it a solid try, and I will miss this huge diamond but it's true there are many to be had so the search begins. Crossing my fingers for a quick sale.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I honestly think it has less to do with the setting itself, and more to do with the marquise shape. I would maybe focus your next search on a round or cushion shaped stone? The inherently pointy shape of the diamond, paired with the humongousness (that's a word, right lol?) of the stone, would make it difficult for daily wear with little ones, no matter the setting.

For example, I was doing those "coffin" or almond shaped nails for awhile. OMG they hurt! And they weren't even that pointy and not at all sharp, but I kept poking myself and everyone around me. So I went to a more oval shape and problem solved - my nails are still just as long, but rounded and no more owies lol.

I'm sorry this one didn't work out, but that just means it wasn't meant for you, and there's something perfect still out there - good luck with your search!

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry to hear you've given up it was an epic journey you gave it a good try and created 2 beauties.

Good luck with the sale and search for new stone

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for sharing the photo. Looks very stunning. I thought the brushing was quite attractive and the inlaid diamonds along the edge. I understand though how it may stab and poke you being such a large ring. Follow your gut. That is the great and put that I have received here and it is not wrong advice. If you're questioning something from the start, it may not be a good sign. :(

The above pic the PP attached is lovely w the sapphires (shape, etc). Good luck

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
Are you consigning just the stone, or stone + setting? If you are on the hook for one or both settings, you may as well plan to try to also sell the setting. If David still has the original, you might consider listing that instead of the current one, or as an additional option for the buyer - it was so gorgeous, and might appeal to a different and potentially wider audience.

I'm sorry you're going through this!

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
FightGravity|1444353348|3936476 said:
Are you consigning just the stone, or stone + setting? If you are on the hook for one or both settings, you may as well plan to try to also sell the setting. If David still has the original, you might consider listing that instead of the current one, or as an additional option for the buyer - it was so gorgeous, and might appeal to a different and potentially wider audience.

I'm sorry you're going through this!

I assume DK still has the old setting. I traded him and paid the difference for the new one but perhaps he would let me trade it back, I'm talking to Grace about her opinion on what would sell better.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It will sell faster as a loose stone if it is already out of the setting (because it will appeal to more people) I am guessing Grace would suggest leaving it that way.

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Grace actually loves the original setting I designed and agrees that the stone shpuld be put back in that setting and not listed loose.

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
therainbowradish|1444370974|3936535 said:
Grace actually loves the original setting I designed and agrees that the stone shpuld be put back in that setting and not listed loose.

I think you and grace are on the right track - that ring is SPECTACULAR and I imagine someone will snap it right up!

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
David is such a doll, he is happily willing to remount it in the old setting so that is what we will do. As soon as the stone takes a (hopefully) quick trip down to GIA it will be up for sale with Grace. Fingers crossed for a lightening fast sale as I already have my eye on diamond contestant #2 lolol. Keep an eye on her IG page if you are interested in purchasing it!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm very sorry this didn't work out for you. Here's hoping for a quick sale and a nice budget to use on your next project!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results