shape
carat
color
clarity

Big hands/Is it True to carat size will look smaller?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DiamondLover5

Rough_Rock
So I have a size 8.34 ring, grrrrrr. I am concerned about carat size as my finger is so big and I have heard that the bigger the finger the smaller the carat looks. Is this true?

If anyone has a size 7 or larger ring and has pics of different carat sizes I would truly appreicate a post.

Thanks so much!

L.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, of course it is true. It looks like less "finger coverage" because there is more finger to cover if that makes sense.

Here is a chart that helps explain what you need on different size fingers to acheive the same look. Match the numbers to tell what the correct "comparison" size is for your ring size and carat size. For example, a match of 39 looks the same. So a 1 ct. on a size 6 looks the same as a 1.5 on a size 9. Make sense?

RBCSizeOn62Finger.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2007 5:36:59 PM
Author: neatfreak
Here is a chart that helps explain what you need on different size fingers to acheive the same look. Match the numbers to tell what the correct ''comparison'' size is for your ring size and carat size. For example, a match of 39 looks the same. So a 1 ct. on a size 6 looks the same as a 1.5 on a size 9. Make sense?

Couple more things to keep in mind ...

This chart is only about Round Brilliant cuts ... if you are looking for a different shape stone, calculations would be different.

Some shapes look bigger than others ... so, maybe a 1 carat oval or marquise would look as big or offer as much "coverage" as a 1.5 carat Round Brilliant or even a 2 carat asscher.

"Coverage" is just one way people visually judge how big a stone is ... there''s also the size of the stone ITSELF (not just in comparison with the finger). A 2 carat stone still looks like a 2 carat stone if people are just focusing on the stone & not the comparison.

And there are ways to set ANY stone that can maximize size apperance on the hand -- hang out here & you''ll learn ALL the tricks!
3.gif

DiamondLover5

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much you guys!
I am still a LITTLE confused by the chart, but I am working with it to get it...soooo in order to get a 1 carat look on my finger, let''s say size 9 (actual size 8.75) I need what size?

I am in love with the cushion cut, and I am looking at the Tiffany Novo style, solitaire.

I am wanting to not crowd diamond since it is such a beautiful cut, but perhaps because I have a bigger finger solitaire may not work for me? We are looking at 1 carat for purchase, perhaps a tad bigger, but before we do I am wondering if it will even show since I have such BIG hands :(

Thanks I really appreciate your feedback and help!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Let''s say size 6 is average since that''s what most jewelry stores carry as their stock size. That means that a 1 carat on a size 6 covers 39% of the finger. For you to get 39% coverage as a size 8.75 (let''s round up and make it a 9 so it fits the chart), you would need to get a 1.5 carat to achieve the same look.

Cushion cuts face up (which means their actual measurements in millimeters, not their carat weight) smaller than rounds so to get the same look with a cushion, you''d probably have to go bigger than 1.5 carats to get the same coverage/look of the 1.5 carat round diamond.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deco is right about the chart that it is only for RB''s. BUT the principle is is pretty much the same and it will give you at least a ballpark figure of what sizes look like on different fingers.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Neatfreak...

That chart is incredible!!! It should be on the pricescope tool page!! Good job! You have been holding out on us.

On the other hand.... you have burst my bubble. The chart indicates that my finger size and my desire to be 100% covered is totally out of the question, and off the chart! There is now no reason to ever upgrade.
39.gif

So...ah...I hope you have a nice day.
2.gif

DKS

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2007 8:13:48 PM
Author: door knob solitaire
Neatfreak...

That chart is incredible!!! It should be on the pricescope tool page!! Good job! You have been holding out on us.

On the other hand.... you have burst my bubble. The chart indicates that my finger size and my desire to be 100% covered is totally out of the question, and off the chart! There is now no reason to ever upgrade.
39.gif

So...ah...I hope you have a nice day.
2.gif

DKS

Well I can't take credit (or blame!) for it. I found it on an old post here and just saved it to be used in the future! Glad it's helping at least some of you!
3.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/21/2007 1:23:01 PM
Author: cherry_vanilla
neatfreak - do you (or anyone else) happen to have a chart like this that goes below .4ct?
I doubt it. I searched for a long time to even find THIS chart. But I think the principle is the same, so you could probably use the .8 or .5 from this chart and halve it depending on the size stone you''re considering? Maybe?

jayrenay9

Brilliant_Rock
Whatever shape you get, you should definitely consider getting a halo. An oval halo would give nice finger coverage.

I really wanted a cushion, but just couldn''t bring myself to do it since they all seemed so small for the ct. weight -- I went with a RB and put it in a halo style that gives it a more squarish appearance.

I''ll attach a picture, I''m a size 6 3/4.

4pic1vatche927.jpg

tangoecho

Rough_Rock
Here is my 1.23 carat round on a size 9 finger. I have short fingers also so if your fingers are long, then the ring set won't cover as much room.

100_3853.JPG

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Cushions do face up really small, but ovals don''t!!! Here''s my 1.33 ct. oval on a size 10 finger!

sumwholehand.jpg

sumbothfront3.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2007 5:29:57 PM
Author:DiamondLover5
So I have a size 8.34 ring, grrrrrr. I am concerned about carat size as my finger is so big and I have heard that the bigger the finger the smaller the carat looks. Is this true?

If anyone has a size 7 or larger ring and has pics of different carat sizes I would truly appreicate a post.

Thanks so much!

L.
It is true, but it is mostly true online. Actually online when all you have is a finger and a stone it is most *definitely* true.... out in the real world though when there are other things to compare to it isn''t as true. Instead of the diamond looking bigger, it is often that the hand just looks very tiny in person IMO. It still looks impressive but not as much so as here online.

My ring size is about yours and I consider it that I can "get away" with a larger stone without it looking quite as huge at it would on someone else LOL

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2007 5:42:15 PM
Author: decodelighted

Date: 6/18/2007 5:36:59 PM
Author: neatfreak
Here is a chart that helps explain what you need on different size fingers to acheive the same look. Match the numbers to tell what the correct 'comparison' size is for your ring size and carat size. For example, a match of 39 looks the same. So a 1 ct. on a size 6 looks the same as a 1.5 on a size 9. Make sense?

Couple more things to keep in mind ...

This chart is only about Round Brilliant cuts ... if you are looking for a different shape stone, calculations would be different.

Some shapes look bigger than others ... so, maybe a 1 carat oval or marquise would look as big or offer as much 'coverage' as a 1.5 carat Round Brilliant or even a 2 carat asscher.

'Coverage' is just one way people visually judge how big a stone is ... there's also the size of the stone ITSELF (not just in comparison with the finger). A 2 carat stone still looks like a 2 carat stone if people are just focusing on the stone & not the comparison.

And there are ways to set ANY stone that can maximize size apperance on the hand -- hang out here & you'll learn ALL the tricks!
3.gif
the chart lists a mm width and I used that.... if I'm recalling correctly it made my stone the width of a 1.5 carat round LOL

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2007 9:10:21 AM
Author: sumbride
Cushions do face up really small, but ovals don''t!!! Here''s my 1.33 ct. oval on a size 10 finger!
I think square cushions have more problem facing up small.... my longer cushion faces up, technically, larger than a round of same carat weight, at least for square mm at the girdle width. It''s negligible though. And I still have a 66% depth. I think when you get to longer stones the same thing that goes for ovals covering more space is the same that makes the longer cushions also do that.

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/22/2007 12:57:28 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
Date: 6/18/2007 5:29:57 PM

Author:DiamondLover5

Thanks so much!

L.
It is true, but it is mostly true online. Actually online when all you have is a finger and a stone it is most *definitely* true.... out in the real world though when there are other things to compare to it isn''t as true. Instead of the diamond looking bigger, it is often that the hand just looks very tiny in person IMO. It still looks impressive but not as much so as here online.

My ring size is about yours and I consider it that I can ''get away'' with a larger stone without it looking quite as huge at it would on someone else LOL

I completely agree with Sara about it being different in person. I am often told I have "piano hands" - I have long (both palm and fingers) skinny hands and wear a 5.25. When I went trying on solitaires to get an idea of size, I quickly reached a size that made me say "woah, TOO MUCH". I''m not sure if I''m even allowed to say that here on PS
12.gif
but it''s how I felt. I think when I hit about a 1.25 I said "That''s as big as I could ever want". Anything above a 0.75 was "plenty". To translate that to the chart, let''s say I thought the ring was "plenty" at 37% and "as big as I could possibly wear day-to-day" at about %44. So, think of your bigger hands as having the ability to get away with more without people looking at you and raising an eyebrow. Sure, complete coverage is highly prized on PS, but much of the real world is a little more.....down to earth.
4.gif

DiamondLover5

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much everyone!
I am really excited and finally narrowed down a ring...
Due to budget my carat size was 1.03, Cushion, Square-rounded sides, H, SI1; however I expressed to my jewler my concern because I not only have big hands (Size 8.75-Ring Finger), but long fingers and we chose a setting that will help to showcase my diamond more. I could have put more money to a larger stone, but I would of had to sacrifice quality so I stayed with smaller, but it is sooo shiny and beautiful.

I am doing a solitaire, I liked the pave around and the Tiffany Legacy was my first choice, but in the end I decided that I HARDLY wear jewlery so for everyday wear the Legacy was a little much for me. So I changed to solitaire, cathedral setting with micropave all down the sides, etc. to dress it up.

He is confident it will be beautiful and in time I can upgrade.

Funny it was mentioned, I actually tried on a 2 carat and for me it was too much. I am very simple. But I would HAVE LOVED 1.5 carat, that looks about perfect for my hand size. But I am going to be marrying the love of my life and engaged to the love of my life, so the ring is just a beautiful extra!!

Thanks again guys and I will post pics as soon as he proposes. I just picked my ring, but do not know when proprosal will be, I still wanted an element of surprise LOL

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
very exciting news! I''m glad you picked a stone you love, that''s the best thing to do.
9.gif

JenStone

Shiny_Rock
I always thought I had average size fingers (I''m 6 1/2) until I came across PS and the dainty, skinny fingers. A friend who got engageded recently has a 2 1/2 size and her 0.5 ct looks HUGE on her!

Anyway the reason I''m posting is because of the Amazon link that Lorelei posted...is it me or does the princess cut look the largest of all the cuts? I always thought princesses tend to face up smaller than RBs...maybe it''s different once it''s set?

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/22/2007 2:39:31 PM
Author: DiamondLover5
Thanks so much everyone!
I am really excited and finally narrowed down a ring...
Due to budget my carat size was 1.03, Cushion, Square-rounded sides, H, SI1; however I expressed to my jewler my concern because I not only have big hands (Size 8.75-Ring Finger), but long fingers and we chose a setting that will help to showcase my diamond more. I could have put more money to a larger stone, but I would of had to sacrifice quality so I stayed with smaller, but it is sooo shiny and beautiful.

I am doing a solitaire, I liked the pave around and the Tiffany Legacy was my first choice, but in the end I decided that I HARDLY wear jewlery so for everyday wear the Legacy was a little much for me. So I changed to solitaire, cathedral setting with micropave all down the sides, etc. to dress it up.

He is confident it will be beautiful and in time I can upgrade.

Funny it was mentioned, I actually tried on a 2 carat and for me it was too much. I am very simple. But I would HAVE LOVED 1.5 carat, that looks about perfect for my hand size. But I am going to be marrying the love of my life and engaged to the love of my life, so the ring is just a beautiful extra!!

Thanks again guys and I will post pics as soon as he proposes. I just picked my ring, but do not know when proprosal will be, I still wanted an element of surprise LOL
you sound very happy, and that''s the most precious ''gem'' anyone can ask for! you''re ring sounds wonderful.... and your relationship even better. best wishes to you, and i''ll be lookin'' for those pics.....
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results