shape
carat
color
clarity

Beautiful Emerald Cut from James Allen!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I got the bug... after seeing Mayk's beautiful 2ct K EC from JA, I started looking around, and found a few that caught my eye. My budget wasn't big, and I wanted to maximize size, so I chose to drop down in color a bit from my normal preferences, and considered I-J-K range stones. I chose 3 for a workup, and this one won! Which I was happy about, as it is the one I liked the shape of, the video of, and especially the size of! :love:

I called JA on the phone to reserve the diamonds, and Angelia was extremely nice to talk with, and she looked at a few options with me before we definitively decided which 3 to look into further. Then I was transferred to email contact with Garrett, who was also always polite and patient. The ASET images and gemologist's review were completed in 3 days as promised (the longest 3 days ever!), and I chose this one after reading the gemologist's comments and seeing the ASET. I chose a setting that had to be CAD rendered, as they don't carry it in stock for EC's, which was fine. So that took a week. Then I was out of town for a week, so it was a long time before I got to see the finished product.

The downside of JA's service was that despite my asking, I was not shown a picture or video of either the CAD or even the finished product before it shipped. And it didn't get a Sarin run on it either so I don't know the crown height. Had I seen the CAD's I would have asked them to lower the basket a bit if possible, as it sits a bit high, but I'm happy with the overall quality of the setting. I asked for the prongs to be as dainty as possible, and they look rather bulbous in magnified pictures, but in real life they are so small and uniform that they don't stand out or bother me at all.

I was nervous about the J color, as I'm rather color sensitive, but I have to say I am quite impressed with how white this stone faces up in real life. I can see that it has a slight tint, especially when I put it next to my D, but it holds it's own and looks fabulous! It is so sparkly and I'm really enjoying the step patterning, which I've never had before, as my other stones are round / cushion.

There are some black lines that show up in pictures and look terrible, but in real life they aren't there - the stone just has nice contrast. It is so hard to take good pictures of diamonds, and these pics do no justice, but I hope you get the idea!

The stone is:

1.04ct J VS1
6.68 x 5.43 x 3.39 mm
Polish / Symmetry = excellent / excellent
no fluorescence (bummer!)
T = 62%
D = 63.5%

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.04-carat-j-color-vs1-clarity-sku-97520

I chose the twisted shank contemporary solitaire:

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagemen...wisted-shank-contemporary-solitaire-item-6854

This is the gemologist's comment:

"As I am sure you expected after reviewing the ASET images, the gemologist found the 1.04 carat-J-VS1 to be the top performer of the three. It has very good alternating steps of brilliance (white light return) and contrast (dark areas), and it has a great amount of fire (dispersion of color) and sparkle that is well balanced and symmetrical. It faces up a true "J" in color and has a very slight warmth to it face up, faces up completely "eye clean" and has a perfect rectangular shape."

So I'm very happy with this stone, and I think the setting really compliments it. I may reset it into a Ritani I have my eye on (that is a similar idea) sometime down the road, but for now I'm just going to enjoy it!

_9446.jpg

img_1771.jpg

img_2282.jpg

img_1772.jpg

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some more pics:

img_1773.jpg

img_1790.jpg

img_1792.jpg

img_2625.jpg

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And a few more:

img_2710.jpg

img_1796.jpg

img_2237.jpg

img_1797.jpg

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that setting! Was it customized? Congrats-- that J is a beauty!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
derbygal|1377797867|3511975 said:
I love that setting! Was it customized? Congrats-- that J is a beauty!

In a way, yes - they don't have it in stock for EC's, so they had to make a CAD for it. :)

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
and a few more: :)

img_2246.jpg

img_1798.jpg

img_1800.jpg

img_1802.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The setting is so pretty!!! And of course the stone! :love: ! !!!!!,!

The prongs aren't claw.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Without a side view it is hard to see if the stone is high. It is a beautiful ring.

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring is beautiful! I did the same thing in April, JA emerald cut, Angelia, custom setting...beautiful results...!

Warm regards,
Patty

P.S. Your picture taking skills are amazing!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love it! I love that setting you picked too!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
GORGEOUS!! I love that setting!! and every single flower shot is gorgeous! Beautiful diamond --- fabulous!! (AND YOUR NAILS!! :love: )

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1377799314|3511988 said:
The setting is so pretty!!! And of course the stone! :love: ! !!!!!,!

The prongs aren't claw.

Thanks! And yeah - kinda bummed they weren't more claw-like as I asked for. But these are ok. :)

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops - I guess I forgot to post a side view!

img_1803.jpg

img_1805.jpg

img_2804.jpg

img_2818.jpg

Akvileja

Rough_Rock
What a beautiful ring!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's stunning! That is one sweet emerald cut!!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
That is a GORGEOUS stone and beautiful setting! Wow!! I'd love a profile view if you have one. What do you think of the color? Looks white white white in the pictures. Amazing!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rosebloom|1377807929|3512064 said:
That is a GORGEOUS stone and beautiful setting! Wow!! I'd love a profile view if you have one. What do you think of the color? Looks white white white in the pictures. Amazing!

Actually, I really like the color! I'm very color sensitive, but this faces up quite white. It isn't yellow at all, just "soft", not a stark white like my D. I had an L AVC for a while, but that was too much color for me, yet I really quite like this. Really helps expand my options too. :naughty:

Here's various angles on the setting:

img_2579.jpg

img_1811.jpg

img_1813.jpg

img_1814.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh how beautiful!!! :love: I am far from an expert, but I know what I love and I love this EC! It is bright, lively and the perfect shape - it looks wonderful on your hand. Oh, and your pics are amazing! Congrats and enjoy your new ring!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful diamond!!! It does face up white in your pictures. I have a K EC purchased from JA last summer and I feel that mine faces up really white as well. The cut on your stone is gorgeous & I like the open, airy split shank setting.
Wonderful new sparkly! Enjoy!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, I really like the color! I'm very color sensitive, but this faces up quite white. It isn't yellow at all, just "soft", not a stark white like my D.

I'm so glad you said that. I feel like theres a belief here that J-K colors are too yellow. Its kind of assumed that's the case and its said like fact. I'd like to see more people give them a chance ;-)

I came to the same conclusion that colors that range give a soft bone-like romantic white color.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful EC!! Your ring looks great on your finger :love:
It's very elegant and stylish!!!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! I'm not a huge fan of emerald cuts, but you might just have converted me. I love the contrast between the precise steps of the stone and the organic flow of the setting. Sheer perfection!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone! I was never a big step cut fan either, but I caught the bug after seeing Mayk's K color 2ct. I'm really glad I tried it out, as it is so different from anything else I own, and it's just fun to look at something completely different.

I like this style of setting, with the curved lines I think it plays nicely against the geometric lines of the EC. This is really a temp setting as I have my eye on a Ritani that is in the same vein. I just knew I didn't want a simple solitaire (I usually don't care for the style on me), and I wanted to be able to wear it as a RHR, and I think this is something I can live with. And it was very affordable!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! Love the setting! So happy for you! :appl: Glad I could help the bling bug! :devil:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
congrats!
an EC diamond has always been my fav.

gixxerbabe

Rough_Rock
Wow, what a beautiful ring! The setting came out lovely and looks even better with the emerald cut.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG!!! I love ECs and your in particular is really dreamy! The setting is TDF - so elegant. In a number of your pictures I can see some dots or tiny discoloration on the metal just below the stone - it may be the reflection of your beautiful diamond, but I seem to see them and was wondering if the metal needed polishing - just asking. It it so lovely and really suits your hand!!! Congrats on your ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results