shape
carat
color
clarity

#TBT Art Deco-Inspired English Gold & Diamond Bracelet

Smith1940

Shiny_Rock
This bracelet is very special to me, as I bought it 22 years ago with some money that my grandparents had left me. I'm English and just moved to the US five years ago, so this is a piece handmade by a jeweler in an old jewelry quarter in my home town. It has little winding lanes and cobbled streets - very Dickensian! For those familiar with Harry Potter, the whole area looks like Diagon Alley. Anyway, this jeweler has some original Art Deco molds and he produces modern jewelry using those molds. So the jewelry is new, but the style is old. This bracelet reminds me both of home and my grandparents. It's gold and diamond - I don't know anything about the weight. It cost 550 pounds sterling 22 years ago. I have no idea what it's worth now!

GEDC0288.JPG

GEDC0292.JPG

GEDC0294.JPG

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
neat piece! like the shape and details and that it is a sentimental piece related to your grandparents. I'm always a sucker for that kind of story! :halo:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is beautiful! I love art deco pieces, and how wonderful that they have old molds to use! They probably don't have a website, but I'd be interested in seeing it if they did!

Smith1940

Shiny_Rock
Actually, they do have a website! http://www.fidra.com/

Back then, it was called Cherubs.

I also have a ring from them, made form one of the old Art Deco molds. It's a hexagonal citrine, surrounded by a hexagon of diamonds. I'm afraid I can't photograph it today because I must do some work soon! But I'll post it for you next weekend - very busy week this week!

Edit: I've just looked at their website, and the online selection is very disappointing and nothing like what they have in the shop. I was just there over Christmas and they still had the Art Deco old-mold stuff. Diamondseeker, you'll just have to book a trip to England!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Bumped for the use of Woofmama!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What a beautiful bracelet! It's classic with a twist (the unique shape) and I love that you bought it as a remembrance of your grandparents!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, don't know how I missed this first time around...It's beautiful Smith, I love the design, looks so nice on your wrist...this is a piece I would be happy to own myself!

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love Deco-period jewelry and your bracelet is lovely on you. If I am ever fortunate to visit the UK, then I would like to experience the magical location of this store!

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh that is quite spectacular, Smith! Love the history and the sentimentality of the piece too! Thanks for sharing :wavey:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very beautiful and looks lovely on your hand!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Smith1942|1381419174|3535298 said:
Bumped for the use of Woofmama!

Oh Smith!!! Thank you :)) I loved this bracelet when you posted in your other thread :appl:

Okay, I really do love it :love: I wonder if someone here could make me a replica. ERD maybe?!
Very unique and substantial with out being over the top! I could see wearing this as an everyday piece.
I'm saving all of your pics. Very nice of you!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Woofie, when I go home at Christmas I am perfectly willing to take my bracelet into the shop and see if they can reproduce it for you. I bought it when the shop was called Cherubs, 24 years ago, and now they are called Fidra but the stock is the same. That is, they still have the reproduction Art Deco jewellery made from the old molds that I was talking about further up in this thread.

www.fidra.com

Actually, it says on the website that they've been trading for forty years so it must have been just the name that changed, not the owners. Maybe they will remember my bracelet.

It's small, almost like a child-size - but I'm sure they would make it bigger.

If you are interested, I will post further pics and some measurements.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love pieces with such sentimental value. I also love pulling something out of my jewelry box that I have had for a long time and falling in love with it all over again. Your bracelet reminds me of that kind of piece Smith. I really like it. I could so see it being a piece to wear every day. It's wonderful. Thanks for sharing it!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the lovely comments everyone!

Soxfan, thinking of you tomorrow xxxx

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Smith1942|1381754101|3537415 said:
Woofie, when I go home at Christmas I am perfectly willing to take my bracelet into the shop and see if they can reproduce it for you. I bought it when the shop was called Cherubs, 24 years ago, and now they are called Fidra but the stock is the same. That is, they still have the reproduction Art Deco jewellery made from the old molds that I was talking about further up in this thread.

www.fidra.com

Actually, it says on the website that they've been trading for forty years so it must have been just the name that changed, not the owners. Maybe they will remember my bracelet.

That's very tempting Smith!
I would need an idea of cost. I went to their website and know it's not on there. If they still have the mold and could make it in 14k WG or RG in 7.5 diameter I would be very interested in pursuing it.
Thanks so much :bigsmile:

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
woofmama|1381803721|3537830 said:

www.fidra.com

I would need an idea of cost. I went to their website and know it's not on there. If they still have the mold and could make it in 14k WG or RG in 7.5 diameter I would be very interested in pursuing it.

If you like, I could make an initial enquiry on your behalf.

Pregcurious - thanks!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Ekkkk Smith I love this bracelet!! Do you mind posting better photos of the clasp as well as the bracelet off the wrist? I'm dying ot see more more MORE!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Smith1942|1381834896|3537930 said:
woofmama|1381803721|3537830 said:

www.fidra.com

If you like, I could make an initial enquiry on your behalf.

Pregcurious - thanks!

Yes please :)) I'll watch this thread! I've been on a bracelet quest for about 2 yrs now and think this one could be perfect for me!

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful bracelet! I love that you bought something that will remind you of your grandparents. It looks really comfortable to wear.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Vinjewels!

Woofmama - they're closed for the day now, but I'll call give them a quick call tomorrow to see if that's something they are theoretically able to do. (I'm all set up with a cheap UK calling card to speak with my parents, so it will be easy.)

SB - I will indeed post pics, but as it takes a while to get good ones and I'm on a bit of a work deadline, I think it will have to be Friday, if that's OK? Sorry to make you wait!!!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Ooooh, I like this! Maybe a trip to Brighton is in order..... :naughty:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Smith1942|1381853874|3538086 said:
Thanks Vinjewels!

Woofmama - they're closed for the day now, but I'll call give them a quick call tomorrow to see if that's something they are theoretically able to do. (I'm all set up with a cheap UK calling card to speak with my parents, so it will be easy.)

SB - I will indeed post pics, but as it takes a while to get good ones and I'm on a bit of a work deadline, I think it will have to be Friday, if that's OK? Sorry to make you wait!!!

Hugs and Kisses Smith :kiss: :Up_to_something: :cheeky: You're the Bomb!!!!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone!

Woofmama, I called them. They were noncommittal as they said they really need to see pix of it before they'd know. So I've emailed them these photos below, with your requirements about 7.5 inches and either 14k white or rose gold. We will see what they say! (For reference, my bracelet is 6.75 inches, 18k.)

They did say that they didn't usually copy jewellery, but the jeweller wasn't there, I spoke to a woman named Helen. It depends if the current jeweller is the same man with the moulds. Anyway, we'll just have to see what they say. If they aren't sure, you could always get a PS vendor to copy it. I am perfectly willing to post more photos with measurements of the oblongs, etc.

If they think they can do it, we can converse about it off PS. I've got a totally fake yahoo email address, and you can email me on that, and from there I will reveal my true self!! :saint:

gedc2673.jpg

gedc2676.jpg

gedc2677.jpg

gedc2680.jpg

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Last one.

Woofmama, I know you asked about the clasp. I can post further close-ups of that, but will be Friday, as got big work deadline! The bracelet didn't come with this safety clasp, I actually had it added recently. But it's a standard safety clasp.

gedc2682.jpg

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Woofmama: Completely weird response from Fidra:

Hello there Smith [not real name],

Thank you for your message. I have shown your pictures to our jeweller and he says that making a bracelet up like this would now be prohibitively expensive. However, it is possible that we could look out for something similar in an Art Deco style for your friend, if she likes.

Regards,
Pippa Terry and Helen Byrne
Managers/Buyers
Fidra Ltd
www.fidra.com
www.facebook.com/Fidra.Jewellers
01273 328348

Huh? You could be a millionaire for all they know! Seems like they can't do it and don't want to say. Admittedly, the bracelet cost the equivalent of $800 back in 1989, but still.

Unless you want me to challenge this and tell them money is no object, it looks as if you'll have to get a PS vendor to copy it. I bet Brian Gavin could do a good job, and the diamonds could be Signature melee. I can post more pics and a bunch of measurements if you wanted to get it copied.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results